Home
Posted By: kaboku68 Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I probably just got creamed with an impulse purchase.

I stopped at the local gun store and I noted that they had a mauser that was sporterized with a bent bolt, a trimmed and recrowned barrel, metal floor plate, a decent trigger and a very nice finished yet uncheckered Fajen walnut stock that must be from the late 50s/Early 60s style. It has a Williams external rear and a hooded front sight.

It is a GEW98K with an obendorf stamp marked 1917 with matching serial numbers of 591. It points well and the barrel appears to be in very great shape. It looks to be chambered in 8X57.

The main owner who knows rifles wasn't in today and the junior partner who is a nice guy but kind of bumbles around bought it from some young yuppie-who got it from his grandfather-wanted to buy Christmas presents and they called it in and it was clear. They bought it for 200 and wanted 250. I looked it over and it seemed very well intentioned. Maybe its a turd but its a pretty nice looking sporter and I don't have a 8X57 so I put it on layaway and will pay the rest of the 250 dollars next week.

The stock while very nice has a rosewood forend tip and a couple of hunting gouges. It is above 90% NRA condition for the stock and much higher for metal and bore. It doesn't look like it has been shot much at all.

I guess I can mess around with it during Xmas break.

I have bought three mausers in the last year so either I am really getting sick or maybe I am just starting to be able to reason at the age of 42.

I am putting it here because it isn't a 700 and it isn't a kimber so I probably wouldn't get much for info on it in hunting rifles. However, most of the old coots that hang around in this section seem to know their stuff.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Posted By: WildWest Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I am not an old coot, whatever that is. You have a sickness and it is called Mausers. I had an good buddy expose me to the world of Mauser and I really like them. They are the platform for many high quality firearms. I bought a 8x57 at a gun show that was sporterized and was a great rifle, shot really and well very light. I have several rifles with Mauser actions.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I am an aging coot and have put together about 5 of these over the years. You did very well at that price. I wish I owned it, and you had a better one. wink
Posted By: 458Win Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Once aquired the Mauser disease comes and goes - some what like malaria - but it is incurable. Fortunately you can easily find temporary relief at many gun shops and gun shows.
I obtained some relief at the local gunshow this weekend. It's a 1921 vintage Oberndorf model B sporter.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Finley Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I better go look at some Mcswirlys and read about turrets so I don't catch this stuff...
Posted By: TheKuskokid Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
That's a good price, and the 8x57 will do anything you want. Mausers are kewl. I know, I have the disease.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Like Phil says. The disease comes and goes... I had a VERY severe case of it a few years ago. In that I purchased about 25 or 30 Sporterized Mausers. The cure was slow and long... Now I have mostly gotten over it. I think I'm down to an 8x60, a .284 Win, and a 6mm/.284.

Now the commercial Mausers are a whole different form of the diesease! I don't even know how many of those are hiding in the cave... A couple of Mark X's, A JC Higgins Model 50, a H&R, M-300 Ultra... etc...

I think the commercial form of the disease is even harder to cure than the other kind. I'm not even sure there is a cure... blush frown sick

Like a junkie, sometimes I find myself just sitting for hours in the basement, wiping them down with an oily rag, fondling them, and studying them, making plans for improving them in the form of wildcat chamberings, odd chamberings.... etc! OH! The affliction! I pity you, I truly do...

Perhaps we should form a support group: The MLA (Mauser Loonies Anonymous) I don't know, what's a guy to do?

GH
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
"I think the commercial form of the disease is even harder to cure than the other kind. I'm not even sure there is a cure..."

There is no cure,,,,,only hope!

Kaywoodie
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
My ex made me go to MA. I had to stand up and say I was an addict.
By the end of the meeting, we had made a group buy.
I went home and told her I thought it helped.........
Her becoming an ex helped even more.
You have heard of Typhoid Mary. You should get near some of Mauser Frank's(wells) work...........no hope.
Posted By: tomk Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
the contouring around the thumbslot...

the thumbslot alone is reason enough--and the marked rail and ring

US 1906?
Posted By: FLNative Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Luckily, the only pain and suffering we endure with our affliction is in the wallet, and come to think of it, that ain't even so bad, considering. As I read your description, it sounded like you were describing the very first one I ever bought, at the ripe age of 17; bent bolt, all parts matching, 60's Fajen uncheckered with ebony forend tip, white line spacers on the grip cap, butt plate, and forend, cut and re-crown, Williams sights. Only difference is, mine started out as a Persian carbine. I paid 225.00 and that was 22 years ago. I still have it, though it's now in a different stock and the rear sight is now a ghost ring peep. It's my favorite carry rifle.

Best -
Andy
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
"US 1906?"

I suspect that is the calibre mark (30-06).

My only hope and dream is to have that Oberndorf Type A or even a B walk into the shop with a minty bore in 9,3x62 or 7x57, and by some miracle I end up with it for $225 or something like that...... whistle

Kaywoodie
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by Finley
I better go look at some Mcswirlys and read about turrets so I don't catch this stuff...

I like the comparison to malaria. It's fitting. I love the things and can't stay away from them. And they're a heluvalot more fun than 700s, turrets (or is that Tourette's?), and McSwirlys. And much more satisfying from the point of view of aesthetics, design and the art of the machinist. Far superioir to thinwall steel pipe with a few threads cut in it.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Maybe we need a Mauser support group? I have about 5-6 right now in various forms of funtion or disfuntion just waiting for the right project.

ddj
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Maybe we need a Mauser support group? I have about 5-6 right now in various forms of funtion or disfuntion just waiting for the right project.

ddj

I kept thinking this same thought as I was writing my last post. They're entirely too much fun. It would be fair to say that I have more than one. And as soon as I have some vocational stability I intend to find another that calls my name.
Posted By: hatari Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Mauser fever is enjoyable to endure. Savage 99's will afflict one in a similar fashion. Major symptoms include crowding of the gun safe.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
What? You only have one safe? laugh
Posted By: Savage2005 Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I like my Mausers enough that I build them. You'll enjoy the disease. Akin to the 99 and .22 Mossberg rifles in character.

I have a Mauser made by Walther, that I bought for $60 at a gun show. It is completely rough, but I heard Walther did not make many, so I have it put up.

I have a 96 Sweede with nary a hint of wear according to the stock disc.

[Linked Image]

I am building a 7x57 on an Oberndorf Style Stock and Niedener Style plate and cap.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My first build is on a 39 Turk Action, #7 Contour Barrel in .308

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/Guns/308BRVR/308VRBR-3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/Guns/308BRVR/308VRBR-4.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I had MD really bad for a while, but these days it only flares up now and then....
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I had MD really bad for a while, but these days it only flares up now and then....

Mine flares up like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. When it hits....it hits like thunder.

ddj
Posted By: Jericho Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I just saw a Yugo M48 for 279 and it looked like it
was brand new.
Posted By: red_alder_ranch Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I also am afflicted with the Mauser problem. Have a 1946 Military Turk in 8x57, a 1915 Berlin action made into a 35 Whelen, and a 1917 Spandau at the smith's getting a 6.5 Swede barrel installed. I love 'em.
Posted By: muzzleblast Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
i too have the same problem.
96 in 300 savage
vz 24 in 300 win mag
turk in 308 win
and another turk in 8x57 that in the blocks for a new build as soon as i can decide on the cartridge
Posted By: Vek Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
I bought a wood-stocked commercial mauser (don't know which) some years back at a show in WA state, from gunsmith Chapman out of Ferndale. He rebarreled it in 30-06 for a guy who never picked it up. Shilen CM barrel. Figured it was a good buy at $375. Put it in a midway plastic stock that I rasped about a pound of plastic off of to make it somewhat usable. Heavy - 8.5 lbs scoped, even with the non-steel bottom metal. But, it has fired only three shots in anger, and each resulted in a nice muley.

Last evening I finished chipping about a pound of steelbed or marine-tex out of the barrel channel of a bansner I bought for it off this board, hogged out the old bedding, and rebedded it. It now sits light and pretty at 7.5 lbs, sans some fluffy fill I need to bed the barrel channel with to fill the big gap.

I was doing this rebed work in preparation to sell it, seeing as I'm moving everything in the faux ti direction. After spending some time on it, I know that I can't. The only thing left I'd like for it is some steel bottom metal, as the trigger guard is a bit thin to be aluminum/pot.

I can relate.
Posted By: chris112 Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
http://www.gswagner.com/

Try this link. Has lots of things you can do to a mauser.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Having the Mauser disease can never be considered a problem.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Mauser disease - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by Dave93
Having the Mauser disease can never be considered a problem.

You must be a carrier and immune to it's insidious and costly side effects.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/16/10
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

ddj

Well as long as the cure remains as elusive as that $225 minty Type "A"! wink

What I like about Mausers is sometimes I forget about the ones I have and find one in the back of one of the gunsafes. It's like having a new gun all over again. Recently I picked up a butchered up M1893 FN Herstal 7x57. It looks like it might have been one of the rifles made by FN for Uruguay. The bore is spotless. This and the fact that I had never seen an FN made M1893 (albeit butchered)was the reason I grabbed it up. I'm turning it into a little LW "plains" style rifle with express sights and a dainty little stock. When it's in a presentable state, I'll post pics.

Kaywoodie
Posted By: djs Re: Mauser disease - 12/16/10
Hello, I too suffer from the disease. I've got a beautiful 358 Winchester on a pre-war Mauser (purchased from Griffin & Howe), a Swedish M96 with Elite aperture sights, a Serb Model 48 with Lyman 48 sights, two Serb M24/47s and another one that I can't recall.

I've been looking for a winter project - one in which some butcher home gunsmith has started and never completed or has only partially completed. I don't know why I can't leave a homeless Mauser just sitting on a gun shop's racks, but I feel that I need to give them all a good home.

By the way, there is a Model 98 (8X57mm) on Gunbroker.com that the shop originally wanted $500 about 6 months ago, but the reserve price is now $420. I've put in several bids but they were rejected. The stock looks nice, it has Williams peep sights, is not drilled for a scope (add gunsmith costs) and seems to have some rust & pitting under the bolt handle. All in all, it is a good project rifle, but the price is higher than I want to spend for it. Maybe another Mauser addict will take it home and give it some TLC.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Mauser disease - 12/16/10
Mauser disease is actually kind of like being a genius, so don't worry.
Posted By: tomk Re: Mauser disease - 12/16/10
exactly

money and time are investments rather than preoccupation

only my resources limit my ability to give back to the community through restoring old 98s

but am again accepting donations...
Posted By: djs Re: Mauser disease - 12/16/10
tomk, have you considered setting up a kettle on street corners (like the Salvation Army does)? How many quarters do you need to do the restorations you feel is necessary? smile
Posted By: whelennut Re: Mauser disease - 12/16/10
kaboku68,
If you get buyers remorse, I may take it off your hands! grin
I'm that kind of a guy. Always ready to help my fellow loony.
whelennut
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Mauser disease - 12/17/10
Phil, I have a disease I'm sure, but it is lackacash not Mauser disease. Because of the inspiration from guys like MD and yourself and Finn Aagaard and T D Kelsey my rifles are all FN all the time. Congratulations on your most recent purchase. grin
Posted By: Outcast Re: Mauser disease - 12/17/10
kab..,

You have it wrong. Mauser is not a disease. Mauser is the CURE grin

O
Posted By: tomk Re: Mauser disease - 12/17/10
quarter year's wages maybe should help me continue for a bit....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/17/10
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
kab..,

O

I like that!!!!
grin

Kaywoodie
Posted By: dfcjr Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
The only disease to rival Mauser Disease is Mannlicher Schoenauer Disease. Having both is a terrible condition. I remember Mausers for $10 each, and as late as five years ago I bought VZ24s for $65. I also bought MS 1903 Greek actions from Bill Rodgers at Springfield Sporters for $6 each. Those were the days!
Posted By: JimD Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
Originally Posted by 458Win
Once aquired the Mauser disease comes and goes - some what like malaria - but it is incurable. Fortunately you can easily find temporary relief at many gun shops and gun shows.
I obtained some relief at the local gunshow this weekend. It's a 1921 vintage Oberndorf model B sporter.
[Linked Image]

Nice grab Phil!
Posted By: cole_k Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I've had both disease and it cost alot less to cure malaria than it does the Mauser disease!!!
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Mauser disease is actually kind of like being a genius, so don't worry.
Making a ststement like that, you must be a genius. grin
Posted By: Bearbuck Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
I work at a Gunstore. Have for about 2 years now. We have a gunsmith shop in the store(seperate buisness, but work together and bring each other buisness). We have many mausers pass the way. Right now we have a few. Over past 8 months I have found myself thinking about them alot. Considering buying one. Well I actually took one of shelf a couple days ago. It would be in need of some work and cleaning up, but for some reason that is where Im drawn to. I don't get a hankerin for one that is already in good shape. Its the ones that need some attention that catch my eye and make me wonder what I can make out of it. Come to think of it, I think that may be a whole other disease in itself. However, This is an old 7x57 mauser that has been sporterized and chopped. Barrel is about 18 inches off top of my head. The old Mauser action though, ahh, feels so good to work. I knocked dust out of barrel to see what kind of bore it had. Looked good enough that a little work could bring it around. I did put it back on shelf, until this thread has me thinking on it again. It is the Mauser 98 variety. Im not real up on my Mausers and makes and types but this may be a scary start down that road. What do you all think? An 18" barrelled 7x57, what kind of performance can expect from that? Any modern or should I say mainstream calibers to compare it to? Thanks guys.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
I think there should be more pictures of what it looks like (the disease). Is this it?

[Linked Image] Old 8x57 that shoots 1 moa consistantly.
I've been thinking of an interarms mark X that I saw last saturday at the shop for $350.00. It is a 7mm rem mag and I've always wanted a 7mm.

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think there should be more pictures of what it looks like (the disease). Is this it?

[Linked Image] Old 8x57 that shoots 1 moa consistantly.
I've been thinking of an interarms mark X that I saw last saturday at the shop for $350.00. It is a 7mm rem mag and I've always wanted a 7mm.

Here are some examples of my current "therapy" for the affliction;

[Linked Image]

And,,,,,

[Linked Image]

This one has had more restoration done to it since this pic was made. I find restoration very therapeutic and helpful for the affliction.

[Linked Image]

Still searching for the cure.....

Kaywoodie
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
Very nice, thanks for posting the pictures. I don't know if I have mauser disease, but for some reason all my rifles are offspring of the old mauser action. M1917, pre 64 model 70, and many ruger 77's.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/18/10
You're most welcome! I simply love bolt Mausers. Any of them! Especially vintage sporters and guild rifles. But I also have a thing for nicely executed, "vintage" Springfield Krag sporters. Ones from the 20's and 30's. If it's got an excellent bore, I will usually take it home with me. Receiver sights are a real plus too!

Kaywoodie
Posted By: Outcast Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
kab..,

O

I like that!!!!
grin

Kaywoodie

Kay..,

Only one change added to Mauser 98. HVA put the ejector on the bottom, instead of the side. Anything else is an abomination. The M98 is perfection. All else only degrades the bolt action.

O
Posted By: weagle Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
This is what a terminal case of post war commercial looks like.

Weagle

[Linked Image]

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
kab..,

O

I like that!!!!
grin

Kaywoodie

Kay..,

Only one change added to Mauser 98. HVA put the ejector on the bottom, instead of the side. Anything else is an abomination. The M98 is perfection. All else only degrades the bolt action.

O

I concur 100%! The 98 IS perfection! wink My standard answer to all long gun problems that come into the shop is "It's because you don't have a Mauser!" Jokingly, of course! grin

We all get a chuckle.....
Kaywoodie
Originally Posted by weagle
This is what a terminal case of post war commercial looks like.

Weagle

[Linked Image]

Veeery niiiice Weagle!!!!! Please tell me it's a 7 x 57!!!!!!!

Kaywoodie
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
Well that would have been my second choice!!!!!! grin

Besides they ALL come with a built-in beer bottle opener! (Oh, the things you can learn from WWII Heer Veterans! grin)

K
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
I'd never think of spending money on getting a Mauser rolling, but I don't mind spending a fraction of the cost on a custom someone else spent lots of money on.

laugh

K
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
Trying hard to keep from reading the whole thing on the Mausers. I know it is catching,
But do you have any Photos of those 1903's K?

I have that problem in a big way.......

Posted By: weagle Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10

Veeery niiiice Weagle!!!!! Please tell me it's a 7 x 57!!!!!!!

Kaywoodie

Nope. It's an 8x57, a caliber I never fooled with much til I bought this rifle. Now it's definitely one of my favorites.

Weagle
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
I am still liking this thread!!!! Weagle......that is one handsome looking rifle. If I could find just one more, it would be the twin to yours. grin
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Mauser disease - 12/20/10
Does anyone know who makes the Mauser actions for the H & H, Rigby, Westley-Richards and some of the other very expensive English built bolt actions?

The rifles are extremely expensive, in the $15,000 to $20,000 range. I'm thinking they don't use surplus 98 actions, but I'm not aware of anyone still making a commercial 98 actions, although I have heard of one called a Granite Mountain.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10
I saw a CZ527 (micro Mausers count don't they) at a gun store, called to see if they could hold it and got cut off.
Went back the next day, not there.
"Got any more"
"Yeah came in an hour ago"
In the mean time, the guy from previous day:"I got that CZ for you"
Now there are 2 on the table.
And me without my Lucky Quarter to make choises!!!!!!!!
Bought them both...........see why I call it my Lucky Quarter...
Fullstock, KC 3 round clip, looks unfired, 223
Sporter, honest wear, no sights, older, nice lines, 5 round clip, 223
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10

I know that the late Dave Gentry made 98 actions for at least one top British firm.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Trying hard to keep from reading the whole thing on the Mausers. I know it is catching,

You mean the Krags????? Currently I'm out of 03's. Only one I still own is in my son's gunsafe (I hope) and is a full military Remington 03. Here's one of the Krags;
[Linked Image]

There's another in the big safe somewhere, so I'll have to get a pic of it later.

BUT we digress!!!! smirk This is all about Mausers! laugh Evidently this past weekend while I was away from the shop, an Interarms Mark X "Mini" Mauser came in. It's a .223 Rem, and I found it on the dunbwaiter when I got to work this morning. Well, it's SORTA a Mauser, and I can lower my standards enough to accept it into my fold. So it's going home with me Friday evening!!!! wink

It's just too cute to pass up!

Kaywoodie
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10
Originally Posted by 1234567
Does anyone know who makes the Mauser actions for the H & H, Rigby, Westley-Richards and some of the other very expensive English built bolt actions?

The rifles are extremely expensive, in the $15,000 to $20,000 range. I'm thinking they don't use surplus 98 actions, but I'm not aware of anyone still making a commercial 98 actions, although I have heard of one called a Granite Mountain.

I asked when I was at Holland & Holland and Purdy this summer. I asked where they were getting there 98 actions and was told a private supplier. It might be Gentry as Mule Deer said?

ddj
Posted By: LongRanger280 Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10
I have a question. I picked up a Mexican Mauser in 7X57 from a friend a while back. It has a Monte Carlo stock, and the walnut is beautiful. It has a lot of swirling grain and a wide range of hues to the color. I gave him $125 for it. It's a little odd shooting open sighted with this type stock on it. Should I have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, or drop it in a after-market stock made for open sights? It shoots nice, and the bore is in very nice shape with a mirror finish. Was it a good buy? I don't know much about mausers, but I think it is a small ring version. Can anybody help me with information about it. It was made in 1932, and has the Mexican crest on it. I plan on using it for deer and will hand load my own ammo. Any pet loads?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10

You mean the Krags????? Currently I'm out of 03's. Only one I still own is in my son's gunsafe (I hope) and is a full military Remington 03. Here's one of the Krags;
[Linked Image]

There's another in the big safe somewhere, so I'll have to get a pic of it later.

BUT we digress!!!! smirk This is all about Mausers! laugh Evidently this past weekend while I was away from the shop, an Interarms Mark X "Mini" Mauser came in. It's a .223 Rem, and I found it on the dunbwaiter when I got to work this morning. Well, it's SORTA a Mauser, and I can lower my standards enough to accept it into my fold. So it's going home with me Friday evening!!!! wink

It's just too cute to pass up!

Kaywoodie

Krags are a unique action, smooth and reliable. Bagged a doe with one, a week ago. That one is plumb pretty smile
Posted By: olblue Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10
Originally Posted by LongRanger280
I have a question. I picked up a Mexican Mauser in 7X57 from a friend a while back. It has a Monte Carlo stock, and the walnut is beautiful. It has a lot of swirling grain and a wide range of hues to the color. I gave him $125 for it. It's a little odd shooting open sighted with this type stock on it. Should I have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, or drop it in a after-market stock made for open sights? It shoots nice, and the bore is in very nice shape with a mirror finish. Was it a good buy? I don't know much about mausers, but I think it is a small ring version. Can anybody help me with information about it. It was made in 1932, and has the Mexican crest on it. I plan on using it for deer and will hand load my own ammo. Any pet loads?

You thief, want to double your money? grin --- Mel
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Mauser disease - 12/21/10
If Mauser need is the wine of madness, come fill my cup!!!!!!!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
Originally Posted by Jericho
I just saw a Yugo M48 for 279 and it looked like it
was brand new.

It might very well be. I have the mauser affliction mostly military but it has gotten worse in recent years such as a schutzenfest rifle from 1938.
As to the Yugo, a couple of year ago i was up in the back room of a fairly well known dealer looking at a stack of them. We took quite a few apart and they were all marked appropriately.
What i gather is they were made right around the time of the introduction of the s.k.s. to yugoslavia, and were put in reserve.
they were taken out of cosmo every few years checked for function and then gunked up again.
I bought one at the time with the bayonet, kit etc. I am pretty sure it has never been carried or fired except at the armory or manufacture.
If i remember right they were going at the time for about 150bucks
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
I need a Krag.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I need a Krag.

that is setting you up for an expensive trip.
I don't think it is possible to stop at one krag.
you have to have a correct one, for each year, then the carbines, then the bayonets, belts slings, scabbards. etc.
ask me how i know.
then you sink to scavanging in old military posts looking in the dirt for spent shell casings.
Then you look for the commercial reworks.
It goes one.
When you are done with that, you can start on the civil war springfields.
Then you can go down the path of the 1842 springfields for the mexican war.
there was a guy in my area that at one time had a gun store with a museum next door dedicated to mausers.
I think he had rifles from just about every country in the world that used them.
And thinking of it, i am surprised nobody mentioned the argentine mausers, which i think are some of the prettiest ones made.
Posted By: djs Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
Any collecting hobby (guns, coins, stamps, etc.) usually develops into a disease. You just have to get the next model, they next year, the next finish, etc. and pretty soon, you find you�ve got a lot of the items and, a skinnier bank balance! I know.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
Kaywoodie,
that Krag is sweet. Sorry for the detour to the Muser guys. I am still trying not to read that part of this thread. But I long for a fix to the 1903 Springfield issue that I have to deal with since having one pass thru my hands in the less wise part of my life.

I know a few here have had one or two of the converted service rifles. Being orig. from the Nutmeg State and then growing up in the foot hills of the Berkshires a Lyman site on top of a sporterized Springfield would push an afflicted person right off the wagon.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I need a Krag.

that is setting you up for an expensive trip.
I don't think it is possible to stop at one krag.
you have to have a correct one, for each year, then the carbines, then the bayonets, belts slings, scabbards. etc.
ask me how i know.
then you sink to scavanging in old military posts looking in the dirt for spent shell casings.
Then you look for the commercial reworks.
It goes one.
When you are done with that, you can start on the civil war springfields.
Then you can go down the path of the 1842 springfields for the mexican war.

No, I'm not that guy. I don't do re-enactments, have no use for scabbards or bayonets on a hunting rifle. Nope, not a concern in the least for me.
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
My dad started my Mauser disease in the early 70's. The only rifle he could afford was a sporterized K98 that cost him $25. 30 years later, I was able to get an original Russian capture by the same mfg and same year (243/1939)..it's cousin! They are in the safe together as I am typing this....along with VZ-24's, 1908's, etc. Love them!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
there was a guy in my area that at one time had a gun store with a museum next door dedicated to mausers.
I think he had rifles from just about every country in the world that used them.
And thinking of it, i am surprised nobody mentioned the argentine mausers, which i think are some of the prettiest ones made.

Ron,

I have a 98/09 Argentine that is one of the finest Mauser military rifles I think I've ever seen. It's is pristine and all matching! A gorgeous piece! Lemme see if I can find it in the safe, as well as another Krag I have in mind, an post some pics shortly..... Maybe that Krag will whet Steelheads appetite a bit!

Kaywoodie
Well, 2 hours later and utilizing my crappy-azz dial up connection,,,, I've been able to down load a whopping 2 , count 'em, 2 pics to post! (It appears 2011 will provide us with the long awaited DSL connection we've been hoping for!)

Here's that 98/09. Sorry I do not have the photog skill or location to get a really nice pic. This pic doesn't do this rifle justice. It's too pretty to shoot!
[Linked Image]

Here's another Krag. Okay, so it's a really schitty scope. But it's just so old school looking I can't help but love it. It appears to be one of those rifles someone started calling an "NRA Krag". Something sold by the DCM way back in the day. Only thing I know is that the Inspector's cartouche on the stock (1903) looks like it was stamped yesterday, and the bore is immaculate. And yes it's a shooter.....
[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
There is something about mausers. I'm only down to 4 right now (give me time). A VZ-24 in 375H&H (utilitarian, ugly as a jaybird), mark X in 30-06, another BRNO I am slowly putting together a 7x57 and a FN commercial magnum action (I'm sure I will do something with it). Also if I could find a tap, I could get my styr 1915 action going.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
The 1909 and Krag are beautiful. It is interesting how the Mauser disease can manifest itself into pre 64's, FN's, small ring BRNO's, ect.

ddj
Posted By: jpb Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
Here's another Krag. Okay, so it's a really schitty scope. But it's just so old school looking I can't help but love it. It appears to be one of those rifles someone started calling an "NRA Krag". Something sold by the DCM way back in the day. Only thing I know is that the Inspector's cartouche on the stock (1903) looks like it was stamped yesterday, and the bore is immaculate. And yes it's a shooter.....
[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie

Suhweeeeeet!

My eyes do better with a scope nowadays, so I'd love to find a Krag like that for shooting light cast bullet loads.

That action is usually soooooooooo smooth!

John
Originally Posted by jpb
[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie

Suhweeeeeet!

My eyes do better with a scope nowadays, so I'd love to find a Krag like that for shooting light cast bullet loads.

That action is usually soooooooooo smooth!

John

I've not shot cast bullets thru this Krag, but I have several others. Talk about the ultimate plinking rifle!!!! Just like a .22! Just nuthin' but fun!!!!!!

Wood came in yesterday for the project rifle. And I've been rat-holing assorted vintage accessories for it at the shop. Checkered metal butplate here, a set of sights there, etc. Amazine whatyou can find in 50 years of clutter!

Kaywoodie
Posted By: TC1 Re: Mauser disease - 12/22/10
I've got a couple. They're a lot of fun and very useful around deer season.

Terry.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mauser disease - 12/24/10
Well, 2 hours later and utilizing my crappy-azz dial up connection,,,, I've been able to down load a whopping 2 , count 'em, 2 pics to post! (It appears 2011 will provide us with the long awaited DSL connection we've been hoping for!)

Here's that 98/09. Sorry I do not have the photog skill or location to get a really nice pic. This pic doesn't do this rifle justice. It's too pretty to shoot!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie

I have managed to pick up a couple of the argentines that are correct including the hand cartouche lovely rifles.
as to the kraig, i have a lyman 170 grain mould that i use wheelweights in for a reduced power kraig load, and they work fine.
one of the sorry things about the argentines is back when they were cheap they were often customized wrecking the history of the rifle. I do not have a 1909 yet but will some day.
as to the mausers, i have several that were commercial in design made between the two great wars. They are beautiful rifles. A couple that are .22's are especially nice. The first one i took it out after acquiring it and it had a nice peep on the back. I was wacking pop cans at about 75yards with it offhand.
jumping back to the argentines, one of their very strong points is the bluing, the deepness and richness of that would be very hard to duplicate today.
Posted By: peepsight3006 Re: Mauser disease - 12/25/10
I started sporterizing 98s in 1959 when the first rush of surplus 98s showed up at around $40 at the Army surplus store.

Tens of thousands of dollars and dozens of rifles later I am just beginning to appreciate how advanced the 98 Mauser was, and is. The Springfield 03 and Win Models 54 and 70 were many years ahead of their time, as were the 7 x 57 and 8 x 57 cartridges.

No such thing as Mauser Insanity. smile

Wayne
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mauser disease - 12/26/10
Kaywoodie,
that Krag is sweet. Sorry for the detour to the Muser guys. I am still trying not to read that part of this thread. But I long for a fix to the 1903 Springfield issue that I have to deal with since having one pass thru my hands in the less wise part of my life.

I know a few here have had one or two of the converted service rifles. Being orig. from the Nutmeg State and then growing up in the foot hills of the Berkshires a Lyman site on top of a sporterized Springfield would push an afflicted person right off the wagon.

I hate to tell you how many rifles you have to find to scratch the 1903, 1903A3 itch. They actually did make a number of variations with different stocks, etc.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mauser disease - 12/26/10
Originally Posted by peepsight3006
I started sporterizing 98s in 1959 when the first rush of surplus 98s showed up at around $40 at the Army surplus store.

Tens of thousands of dollars and dozens of rifles later I am just beginning to appreciate how advanced the 98 Mauser was, and is. The Springfield 03 and Win Models 54 and 70 were many years ahead of their time, as were the 7 x 57 and 8 x 57 cartridges.

No such thing as Mauser Insanity. smile

Wayne

one of the very first bolt actions i remember was somewhere around 9 years old that a friend of mine had in the mid 50's. It was a argentine 1909 that had been customized.
That shutzenfest rifle was made in 1938 and bears a man's innitials in a silver plate on the stock. It resemles a k98 but an odd caliber, from memory 8x46R. I don't think it has been shot since 1938. It was picked up in germany during WWII and brought back to this country, and the guy owning it before me never found any ammo for it. I have the brass, bullets, and dies, and haven't found to shoot it yet.
They were made under restrictions, for target shooting in a non military caliber, but easy to switch out the barrel. The bluing, wood, and precision of workmanship are excellent.
Germans always made good guns.
I have quite a few springfields, and while i like them, i thinkbasically they are inferior to the original mauser.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 12/26/10
Ron,

I bet it was an 8.15 x 46R. Oberndorf produced those rifles too! They tend to be rare from that factory. An old classic scheutzen cartridge. I remember my adopted grandfather telling me a story of when he went to an old scheutzenfest in New Braunfels Tex. Probably back in the late 20's. He said this old German (maybe in his late 80's)stepped up to the "steps" for his turn to shoot. Rested his rifle on his step, aimed and fired. He turned to the other shooters and said proudly, "Das ist eine!!!!!"

I scored the little Interarms Mini-Mauser in .223 that came in the shop last Saturday, for my Christmas. It's close enuff to a Mauser to fit my needs!!!!!
Posted By: Outcast Re: Mauser disease - 01/04/11
peep..,

Gotta agree. Just a few years ago got a 7X57 and a 9.3X62. Dang they work. And well. MY 7X57 is a sporterized Mex Mau and is a .270 lite, now my deer hunting go to gun. In my, not so humble opinion, it's the ultimate infantry round and what our military is trying to reproduce with heavy bullets in the 223. The Germans figgered it out a 100 years ago.

Somehow I never had a 8X57 but it will happen.

O
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
You gotta ask yourself, if so many people have it, and so many others aspire to it, can you really call it a disease? IMHO, certainly not. Rather, I would say it is a healthy fascination with a great mechanical design.

It can only be considered pathological if it goes to the point where you are stealing the food from your children's mouths and breaking open their piggy banks to acquire another Mauser.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
I kin fix your disease. Send me all your money. Thank me later.

Doc Dan
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
Which is why I sold my step-son into slavery as soon as he turned 18.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
Well I'm gonna take the Husqvarna 9.3 x 62 to the woods this weekend and try again for a nilgai. That is, if one shows himself. (But I'm also taking my Boddington #1, Holland & Holland .30 Super). Several others are going down for deer and such too. Should be lots of fun. Think I'll take my DWM, P-08 Parabellum along as my official sidearm for the weekend. Hey it ain't as bad as the one of us who will be packing his C96 Broomhandle...... Yep a "different" strain of the disease....

Kaywoodie
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
I think I have a little case of the disease. Just for the sporters though.

I've ended up with a 35 Whelen, a .308 Norma and a .243 that way. A 1940 FN 98, An early 60's FN commercial and a 98 K respectively. They all came in wood stocks with tips and caps bolts bent, scope safeties, etc. I knocked the Monte carlos off them and changed out the recoil pads to get ones that didn't have the white lines and were softer than rocks.

They all have plastic stocks now as well.

A .270, an 8mm-06 AI and a 6.5 x55mm are likely out there someplace.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
Ron,

I bet it was an 8.15 x 46R. Oberndorf produced those rifles too! They tend to be rare from that factory. An old classic scheutzen cartridge. I remember my adopted grandfather telling me a story of when he went to an old scheutzenfest in New Braunfels Tex. Probably back in the late 20's. He said this old German (maybe in his late 80's)stepped up to the "steps" for his turn to shoot. Rested his rifle on his step, aimed and fired. He turned to the other shooters and said proudly, "Das ist eine!!!!!"

I scored the little Interarms Mini-Mauser in .223 that came in the shop last Saturday, for my Christmas. It's close enuff to a Mauser to fit my needs!!!!!

In fact it is a 8.15x46R. Which accounts for the reason why it probably was never fired.
it took me a while to get brass made in germany from rws, actually made by the nobel company, and if i remember right i got bullets from buffalo. I have yet to load it up and fire it altho i have the dies for it. I have often wondered how to get information from the innitials on the buttstock as to the guy who owned it in germany.
They are quite rare in this country as they were never imported.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
Originally Posted by TC1
I've got a couple. They're a lot of fun and very useful around deer season.

Terry.

There is a gross understatement on all accounts! wink

ddj
Posted By: fyshbum Re: Mauser disease - 01/05/11
Got infected by the Mauser affliction right from the start with my first rifle. All matching numbered 1916 Steyr 98 that the Isreali's had converted to .308. A lot of miles on that one.

Saw it's twin at a gunshow a year or so back. Bought it for my son so as to have a matched set when he is ready.

Just added a all original matching numbered Swede in 95% condition.

Add the Bastard sibling, but stronger, Arisakas, have three.

And the ofspring Rugers and my limited resource collection has started to grow quite nicely.

It is kind of like Mannlicher stocks. About the time I thought about getting one, two have appeared in the safe.

Now to address the problem I need a DWM, Argentine, or Steyr 98 in mannlicher form, maybe in 7x57, 8mm, or 9.3.....hmmmm.....
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: Mauser disease - 01/06/11
Perfectly acceptable, JB. Now, if you had done so when he was 15, that would have been child slavery, which is just sick. :-D
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 01/06/11
Well I took the plunge tonite.

Went downstairs just before closing to see if there was anything bought I needed to take up to the shop for a look over before putting out on the shelf. And there it was!!!! Setting next to a pair of '94 Winchester rifles that had just come in. An awesome Interams "Whitworth Express Rifle" in .375 H & H!!!! Sporting a 1.5 x 5 Leupold "Dangerous Game" scope! I immediately grabbed it up! Took it upstairs, gave it a quick look over, and testfired it in the chamber. WOW!

It's currently laying across my lap as I write this missive. Trip to the range in th morning and I'll take it on the nilgai safari this weekend! Fought off the .375 bug as long as I could. But one look at the wood and I wasruined.. I'm as happy as a little girl!!!!

Kaywoodie
Posted By: Mouse Re: Mauser disease - 01/06/11
Springfield 03 Sporterized rifles would be a good start. That and a little more cow bell. grin
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Mauser disease - 01/06/11
[Linked Image]
Mark X Whitworth 30-06

One of several mausers residing in safe. 2-6.5x55; 1-.45-70; 2-7x57 . . . yeah I'm sick!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Mauser disease - 01/06/11
Very Nice!!!!!!!!

K
Posted By: SSB Re: Mauser disease - 01/06/11
A JP Sauer 9 X 57...I have it's twin in 7 X 57 too. The disease reocurrs around here sometimes.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Mauser disease - 01/08/11
I picked up that old mauser today. I was wrong on the arsenal. It is a Berlin marked DWM 1917 action with all of the parts with the matching serial number. It is still a pretty nice gun and I took some quick snapshots. I have never been a great photographer.

I don't think that I did too bad for $250 bucks.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Attached picture mauser-action.jpg
Attached picture Mauser_Fajen.jpg
Posted By: bucktales Re: Mauser disease - 01/08/11
I too am afflicted. Although it's in remission since I caught the "Flintlock Bug",I still have symptoms , and there's no known cure.
I have a half dozen or so originals in military garb that'll remain so, as well as an equal number of sporters, including a Mark-X fullstock in 7x57.
18 inch barreled with peeps. 8x57
[Linked Image]

pair of 6.5 Swedes (X-wife ended up with the maple one)
[Linked Image]

Posted By: GuyM Re: Mauser disease - 01/08/11
That's one heck of a pair!
© 24hourcampfire