Home
Anybody got any pre-release information on this powder? If you watch the Hornady video on their Superformance Ammunition it seems quite interesting. My reloading supplier says he will have it in no later than mid Jan. 2011. Thought I would work up a fews loads for my 30-06 with 165 grain bullets and see how accurate it it. I have a very accurate T3 Tikka and this could be interesting. Thoughts? Buckfever1
they are going to release it as a handloading component? great!
Not thinking they will release that to the reloading market. What little I know about it indicates their success with the powder is cartridge specific.
dudes where have you been they have been hypeing the piss out of this for the last 6 months or more ,
In the 2011 Annual Manual (out now) they emphasize that these are NOT powders for general use and experimentation. If they don't list it with a given cartridge/bullet combination, they strongly advise you not use it. In other words, the uses are quite specific.
Stand corrected....
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
In the 2011 Annual Manual (out now) they emphasize that these are NOT powders for general use and experimentation. If they don't list it with a given cartridge/bullet combination, they strongly advise you not use it. In other words, the uses are quite specific.

With the shade tree ballistics experts out there, it should be pretty interesting, when the stuff hits the shelves. There's got to be a handloader or two, that knows more about this new powder, than Hogdon's lab. Think I'll start stockpiling popcorn! grin

Jeff
The Leverevolution shoots accurately in my 338 Fed. Waiting to get some chrono readings though.
Originally Posted by buckfever1
Anybody got any pre-release information on this powder? If you watch the Hornady video on their Superformance Ammunition it seems quite interesting. My reloading supplier says he will have it in no later than mid Jan. 2011. Thought I would work up a fews loads for my 30-06 with 165 grain bullets and see how accurate it it. I have a very accurate T3 Tikka and this could be interesting. Thoughts? Buckfever1
............Called Hodgdon myself a few weeks ago. Release is scheduled sometime after the 1st.

According to Hodgdon, their new Superformance powder is a "SIMILAR" blend to Hornady`s powder, but it IS NOT an exact matching blend. So far, Hodgdon lists only a few select cartridges for this powder`s use which is posted in their reloading data section on the Hodgdon site.

This powder imo, is in part, Hodgdon`s answer to Alliant`s RL17.

I`ll see how this new Hodgdon powder stacks up against RL17 from my 300 WSM.
You can buy the Superformance and Leverevolution at Grafs right now. Scratch that, just checked, the 1lb Superformance is sold out. Was available yesterday... Leverevolution is still available though.
It's just another powder that any competent handloader will likely find good use for in rounds other than those provided for by Hodgdon's.
Powder Valley has it now.

http://powdervalleyinc.com/
Here is a link to Hodgdon's currently released data:

Hodgdon's Superformance Powder Data - Dec 2010

Looking at the cartridges they have provided data for, it appears the .260 Rem would be a good cartridge for Superformance powder. I would guess there are more people using and handloading for the .260 Rem than for the .243 WSSM and .25 WSSM combined, so I'm hoping Hodgdon decides to expand their potential market for the powder by developing some data for the .260 Rem with 120, 130, and 140 grain bullets.
Mmmm.....Daddy want Leverevolution powder!
I looked at some data for the calibers listed. It appears that the increases get smaller as you increase bullet weight. If you load lighter bullets for caliber the increases over existing powders is more substantial. So if that is a correct assumption from a very limited amount of data those of us that like 180's or higher in a 30 caliber may not gain much at all. That still doesn't speak to accuracy which will be a gun to gun thing. I shoot a 30-06 and I think Mule Deer's load for 180 bullet with 58.5 grains of Ramshot Hunter @ 2900 fps with sub-moa accuracy maybe as good as it gets for that load. Also a 50 fps increase, if it is that much, for a new powder has little or no effect out to 300 yards for a hunter anyway. Accuracy is the ticket.
So I think I will reload some Hunter with Magnum primers and wait until some of the many experts we are lucky enough to have on this site really figure out what Superperformance does well. Until then being that I consider myself a hunter first and a reloader second I will wait until the real reloading pros put this new powder to the test. Buckfever1
keep in mind with higher quality bullets we have now days, especially the mono metals, IMO heavy for caliber bullets are a thing of the past its not needed. heavy bullets made up for poor bullet design by having enough core to do what it took even if it denigrated
Mr. Cumminscowboy I agree with you for Elk and above for deer I still like the 180's bonded. We hunt in really swampy and overgrowen brush and it tends to cut down on the run after hit factor. I have shot both 165's and 180 TSX and they were very accurate and killed the deer in Canada which are 300lb. live weight but they ran 100yds. to 200 yds. This made for a painful and wet extraction. I sure won't argue that the new mono bullets are great. Just a choice that seems to work for me. Buckfever1
I agree with Barry C. I have some 170 grain Sierra flatnose bullets that I'll try the leverevolution propellant with. 2300 fps with only 36,000 CUP in a 30-30. What is not to like? Should be worth a try.
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Here is a link to Hodgdon's currently released data:

Hodgdon's Superformance Powder Data - Dec 2010

Looking at the cartridges they have provided data for, it appears the .260 Rem would be a good cartridge for Superformance powder. I would guess there are more people using and handloading for the .260 Rem than for the .243 WSSM and .25 WSSM combined, so I'm hoping Hodgdon decides to expand their potential market for the powder by developing some data for the .260 Rem with 120, 130, and 140 grain bullets.

Would be interesting to see the list of data expanded to include all the cartridges that they (Hornady) sell as Superformance loads. I don't believe the linked list begins to scratch the surface.
I read a statement from Hodgdon on another forum that they don't plan on developing any more load data for other rounds with the current Superformance/Leverlution powder. Hodgdon said it only developed superior velocity compared to other existing powders for those calibers they provided data for. Apparenltly, what they use in the .270s, .30-06s, etc... Hornady ammo is a differenet blend optimized for those cartridges that they did not release. Maybe see it in the future, but there are already other powders out there like Magpro in the .270 or RL-17/Hunter in the .30-06 that develop similar velocity to the Hornady factory loads.

Lou
I love the heavy bullets for there wind buckin ability, and the whopability factor when they do arrive
Who makes magpro? I can not find it in any stores. I was thinking if I knew who makes it maybe I can get someone to order some for me.
Scotty,

Accurate powder makes Magpro

Gunner
Thanks.
Sure gives the 30-30 a nother look
Here's what I said in another forum. I think this is correct:

In their line of ammo, Hornady custom-blends a version of this powder to achieve a very specific pressure/burn rate. That blend is for one primer/cartridge/bullet combo of factory ammo. They create a different blend for any OTHER primer/cartridge/bullet combo.

The SUPERFORMANCE� powder that Hodgdon will be selling is a generic kind of the powder Hornady uses, but is NOT custom-blended for a specific load. The same can be said for the presumably faster-burning LEVERevolution� powder - similar but not identical to the custom-blended powders used in Hornady ammo.

Even though they are generic versions of the blended powders Hornady uses, Hodgdon does not recommend their use in other than the cartridge combinations shown in their 2011 manual. Those of us who "can't wait to try it in my 237 Whizbang Acme Improved" should probably re-think that idea.

That's where it stands, to the best of my knowledge, subject to correction by an authority from Hodgdon. I'll ask at SHOT.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Here's what I said in another forum. ...

... I'll ask at SHOT.

Please do... I would like to know about the 338WM and 450 Marlin.... if you are asking and remember.

Thanks

T
Maybe this has been discussed before. But I've often wondered if Hornady who has their own testing facility and buys powder by the ton, actually mixes or layers 2 similar but different burning speed powders to achieve the results they get. Say on a 30-06 with 165s they use 38 gr of RL-17 and 20 gr of Big Game. This way they achieve a longer and steady pressure curve thereby yielding more speed. With the testing facility they could try many various combinations and batches of powder/primers etc. Like many reloaders these guys love tinkering with things.

Just a thought ......
temmi, neither of those rounds is listed with either powder in the 2011 manual. Sorry.

NoDak, Hornady says that they blend different lots of the same powder to achieve their results, and that the blend is a bit different for each cartridge/bullet combination. They do NOT blend different types of powder - and neither should we. Ever.
This powder speaks the same language to me as RL17.
Rocky

Thanks
I received my order over the weekend. Going to play with it some in my nephew's .243.

I called Hodgdon and talked to a gentleman on the telephone about using this powder for other uses. He warned me against trying that. I planned on trying to use it in my .25-06 but he stated he had no information available to him on starting/maximum loads. He therefore warned me against trying to extrapolate starting loads from current loading data available. I told him that the Hornady 117g SST load used 60g of powder and he told me to NOT use that as any information on where to start for this load.

I wish I had seen this thread before my ordering.

Not planning on using it in .25-06, but was wondering if there would be anyway to do a safe workup with a powder with no load data.

Again, I dont plan on using this powder other than how it is meant to be used (listed calibers), but I am interested on how someone would go about finding min/max loads with a powder without load data?
kyreloader,

Without load data, you probably couldn't realistically do any better with Superformance than you could with other powders unless you had access to equipment to gauge the pressures your handloads would generate. I don't think I would undertake such experiments since I suspect Hodgdon has considered every common cartridge that would theoretically make good use of Superformance powder since they have a vested interest in maximizing their market for the powder.
Razorback, he specifically said that Superformance powder is not listed for the .25-06 because it did not perform any better than existing powder. I was just wondering if someone bought this powder thinking that they could emulate the factory load, how would one go about it without a strain gauge so they wouldnt have to use the powder for fertilizer or throw it away?

Again, I am not planning on trying this experiment.
I am going to try Leverevolution in .223 Remington.

Whatsa pound of powder?
Originally Posted by kyreloader
Razorback, he specifically said that Superformance powder is not listed for the .25-06 because it did not perform any better than existing powder. I was just wondering if someone bought this powder thinking that they could emulate the factory load, how would one go about it without a strain gauge so they wouldnt have to use the powder for fertilizer or throw it away?

You could try to sell it to a buddy that can use it and move on.
Originally Posted by 28lx
Originally Posted by kyreloader

You could try to sell it to a buddy that can use it and move on.

I dont really care about having the pound of powder, as I stated I can use it in .243/.22-250.

Just interested on how one would go about finding a load when no load data is available.

Thanks.
kyreloader,

The only way to develop load data safely with a new powder is to start with the requisite expertise in internal ballistics, and there aren't very many people who have that. Acquiring that level of expertise is well beyond the scope of a forum like this one. I apologize if you took my previous post the wrong way - I wasn't being flippant, just trying to convey appropriate caution. I seriously doubt an expert would provide that type of starting information on a public forum because it could be dangerous to someone who hadn't acquired sufficient expertise on his own. Spending a couple hours learning about internal ballistics through internet sources would probably give you an idea of how an expert would start developing load data for a new powder/cartridge combination. I have an idea of how to start from what I've read here and elsewhere, but I realize I know just enough to be dangerous to myself if I jumped into some experimenting without more knowledge.

To develop new load data safely, I personally would educate myself to develop expertise on internal ballistics so I could find a reasonable, safe starting point before I started testing and then gain access to the proper testing equipment for working up loads. It has been documented on this forum and elsewhere that traditional pressure signs do NOT provide adequate feedback for working up handloads in individual guns, even for powder/cartridge combinations for which load data is available and well-established. Add to that the fact Superformance powder apparently has a different pressure curve than other powders do, and a shade tree experimenter has a situation in which extrapolation is practically impossible and more than likely very dangerous.

Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
kyreloader,

The only way to develop load data safely with a new powder is to start with the requisite expertise in internal ballistics, and there aren't very many people who have that. Acquiring that level of expertise is well beyond the scope of a forum like this one. I apologize if you took my previous post the wrong way - I wasn't being flippant, just trying to convey appropriate caution. I seriously doubt an expert would provide that type of starting information on a public forum because it could be dangerous to someone who hadn't acquired sufficient expertise on his own. Spending a couple hours learning about internal ballistics through internet sources would probably give you an idea of how an expert would start developing load data for a new powder/cartridge combination. I have an idea of how to start from what I've read here and elsewhere, but I realize I know just enough to be dangerous to myself if I jumped into some experimenting without more knowledge.

To develop new load data safely, I personally would educate myself to develop expertise on internal ballistics so I could find a reasonable, safe starting point before I started testing and then gain access to the proper testing equipment for working up loads. It has been documented on this forum and elsewhere that traditional pressure signs do NOT provide adequate feedback for working up handloads in individual guns, even for powder/cartridge combinations for which load data is available and well-established. Add to that the fact Superformance powder apparently has a different pressure curve than other powders do, and a shade tree experimenter has a situation in which extrapolation is practically impossible and more than likely very dangerous.

Thank you for a well thought out and complete answer. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Good on you.
I too would like to see how the Superformance powder would perform in the 260 Remington. Since Hornady developed the 6.5 Creedmor, I don't see THAT happening any time soon. However, I did notice in the new Hornady loading manual that they do list load data for the 6.5 Creedmor. Since they are nearly ballistically identical, I would think that you could reasonably start 5% below that data and work up from there.
Originally Posted by Mike_from_Texas
I too would like to see how the Superformance powder would perform in the 260 Remington. Since Hornady developed the 6.5 Creedmor, I don't see THAT happening any time soon. However, I did notice in the new Hornady loading manual that they do list load data for the 6.5 Creedmor. Since they are nearly ballistically identical, I would think that you could reasonably start 5% below that data and work up from there.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I recently did some load workup with Superformance for a 6.5 Creedmoor and am impressed with the powder. Tried four different charge weights and had duplicate velocities in each string. SD ran from a low of 7 to a high of 13 fps for the four loads. Very consistent. My rifle has a 26" barrel and velocity for each load averaged higher than the book. Best load was the max of 46.7 which yielded an avg. of 2951 fps, (book is 2850), and put three shots in a .25" cloverleaf. Didn't repeat the .25" group again, but all were under an inch.
Have loaded some more at 46.7 to test further. The powder seems very consistent and I would love to see some data put out for the 260 and the Swede. Even if velocities are not improved it appears to be a good powder. Velocity isn't everything after all.
Now, what about that old 264 Win Mag....?
© 24hourcampfire