Home
John, I have a once in a lifetime rifle for accuracy in a 6.5x55 Tikka T3. Gun is much better than I will ever be, hunter not bench shooter. As I get older (62) I find I really like shooting this caliber. Low recoil 300 yd. 6" gong is an automatic most times with off hand shooting. I have found a 120grn Barnes TSX to be a very accurate bullet and it is long for size because it is copper and I believe the rifle likes this. I find myself hunting open bogs in Manitoba and can get long shots to 350 yds. (self imposed limit). I have a very good 30-06 and I am never bothered by it's stiffer recoil hunting but at the range after 15 shots strung over a session I can get a light head ache. Is the 6.5x55 enough firearm for my big bucks? If so any powder and bullet recomendations?
Thanks Buckfever1
Not JB - but it's the right cartridge for the job. 120 tsx? That'll do just fine but if you go to a regular cup and core bullet you may find it kills slightly quicker than the tsx. The only issue is that you would have to go up to a 140 weight and so recoil would be slightly more and your accuracy may not be as good as with the tsx.
Is the 6.5x55 enough firearm for my big bucks?

Your kidding?

Please forgive my jumping in here as I'm certainly not JB and don't have his experience.

However - go forth with confidence with your 6.5x55. It will be enough gun with good bullets. My last one loved the 130 Accubond but I only shot smaller deer with it so can't say from experience on the larger bodies but after having a couple of Swedes I'd not hesitate to shoot any deer within my shooting range with that caliber and good bullets (doubt the TSX would be a mistake smile ).

Looking forward to JB's answer on loads even though I don't currently have a Swede.
buckfever,

In my experience the 6.5x55 is plenty for any size of deer. The 120 TSX is a good bullet, also the 125 Nosler Partition or anything else in that class. I've found H4350 an excellent powder for the purpose, especially in colder weather. Nosler lists a maximum of 47.0 grains for 2990 fps with the 125 in a 23" barrel, a combination that's hard to beat.

I should also note that your slight headache is due to a slight concussion, not good.
So Mule Deer what you are saying is maybe it is time to use the 6.5x55 now? Buckfever1
Don't be afraid of bone shots or lengthy shots through the animal if quick kills (drops) are desired. Monos are very capable of taking on bone, and broken bone or long holes are both ways to often get lightening-fast kills.
If I could hit a 6" gong at 300 yards offhand every time I wouldn't much care about anything else.
buckfever,

I have always found that not getting headaches is a good thing.
Originally Posted by buckfever1
So Mule Deer what you are saying is maybe it is time to use the 6.5x55 now? Buckfever1

Buck, I think that, that is what he is saying.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
If I could hit a 6" gong at 300 yards offhand every time I wouldn't much care about anything else.

Big time!

Dober
The Swede is enough cartridge for any buck on earth. Put that 120 TSX or my favorite 125 Partition on the mark and collect your deer.
That 6.5 is an awful big gun..... grin
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Big time!

Dober

Honestly, that is beyond my current ability. My 6.5x55 rifles do really like the 125 NP and they perform quite well on deer.
Love the Swede! My best loads are with Noslers and R19. Ne plus ultra for deer.
(Chui-that means none better.) wink
I'd pay good money to see that!
Gentlemen, I said most every time does not mean all the time . I take one shot and try later again. Leave scope on 6 power so you don't over correct. Shoot from chair with left elbow on knee. Lets not give me too much credit. I am just a hunter not a markman or bench shooter. Buckfever1
Shoot from chair with left elbow on knee.

While not benchrest, that is a wee bit different than offhand.
My Bad. Buckfever1
Is the 6.5x55 enough gun for large Canadian whitetails. Of course it is, just ask all the Canadians who shoot large bodied Canadian whitetails or moose, elk and bears with 6.5x55's. .
The Swedes use it on moose. Go forth and slay deer. Any decent bullet through the vitals will send said deer to the ground.
I know this is off topic but we do have a 300 meter offhand match at the Minneapolis Rifle Club every year. Iron sights no less! I believe they use the international target which has a small 10 ring.
whelennut
Since you are already off topic, wn, what kind of score does it take to win?
Look at all the Scandanavian Moose that are taken every year with the 6.5x55. No flies on the 6.5x55.
Originally Posted by LBP
The Swede is enough cartridge for any buck on earth. Put that 120 TSX or my favorite 125 Partition on the mark and collect your deer.

I've seen "elk" (Moose) taken in Sweden with the 6.5X55mm. I used to visit Sweden once a month on business and occasionally ate lunch at the cafeteria at the Volvo Proving Grounds in Boras and listen to the old-timers talk of killing 1500 pound moose with the 6.5X55. Good cartridge, and it just keeps on penetrating.
It's a perfect cartridge for deer-sized game. Moose can take - and stop- a lot of lead. I imagine we'd all be wealthier for getting a nickel for every time the Swede/Norske stuff is cited versus $10 for every time anyone relates firsthand experience with the cartridge on moose. wink
Even smallish deer bones will catch the 140 CoreLokt out of a 260, in my personal experience.

If I was getting headaches from shooting a 30-06, I'd be turning to something much lighter than a 6.5 myself.
Klik,

Swedish moose are a lot smaller than Alaskan, more like Shiras or the smaller Canadian moose. And most taken are not mature bulls. Probably 95% are calves, cows and young bulls.

I know an Alberta hunter who has taken a bunch of moose with the 6.5x55, no problem, but he isn't a trophy hunter and waits until he has the perfect broadside, top-of-the-heart shot.

However, I have yet to see a deer, even in western Canada (and I have hunted deer some in Alberta and Manitoba) that is as large as the average cow moose from anywhere. They will go 400 pounds live weight, but that still isn't a very big moose.
If you're shooting 2 MOA OFFHAND, you're a helluva shooter.
DakotaDeer,

There have been a few reasonably scientific studies of the effects of recoil. The general conclusion is that around 20 foot-pounds is enough to produce flinching and headaches in many if not most shooters, and 15 foot-pounds or so doesn't do so.

The .30-06 produces around 18 foot-pounds with factory loads of 150 grains, and 20+ with 165-180 grain bullets. The 6.5x55 produces at most 14 foot-pounds, even with warm 140-grain loads.

I have seen this division in a number of shooters myself, including my wife.
Exactly what I was thinking with that tongue-in-cheek comment. I love the 6.5 Swede for caribou. I think it is perfectly balanced for perfect, and not always so perfect, shots. (Which probably means it would seem quite ideal for many of the fine meat animals known as alces in northern Europe.) But I tire of hearing that it is the equal of the 30-06 - since it works so well on moose.......in Scandinavia. Heck, by that logic it should be the equal of the 375 H&H too. That must mean it's perfect for Africa as well. grin

The 6.5 Swedish is a fine cartridge on its own merit. I would have no qualms about using it on any deer with a proper bullet.
6" gong everytime at 300 yards offhand. . . . Are you a really serious big bore Silhouette shooter?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Even smallish deer bones will catch the 140 CoreLokt out of a 260, in my personal experience.

I've killed more than a few deer with a 260 remington and I have yet to see a bone stop any 129gr Hornady when started at 2700fps. I shot one buck at 180 yds breaking both shoulders and the opposite leg before the bullet was recovered in the elbow joint. I've shot deer out to 250yds and as close as 20 yds and the 129gr bullets go in breaking what ever gets in the way, and deer die in a hurry.
Experiences vary, but I've pulled more 260 Remington 140 CoreLokts out of deer than any other gun I've used or been around. I'm not really sure why as they don't seem to be overly expanded. Maybe I got all those underloaded lots of factory ammo that they were supposedly floating around. I've had better penetration with the 120 Ballistic Tip, though I haven't found that to be all that interesting to me either.
Yep, and with a plain Jane 140 too.
Experiences vary, but I've pulled more 260 Remington 140 CoreLokts out of deer than any other gun I've used or been around. I'm not really sure why as they don't seem to be overly expanded. Maybe I got all those underloaded lots of factory ammo that they were supposedly floating around. I've had better penetration with the 120 Ballistic Tip, though I haven't found that to be all that interesting to me either.

I guess that's another example of remington dropping the ball on the 260.
Experiences vary, but I've pulled more 260 Remington 140 CoreLokts out of dead deer than any other gun I've used or been around.

fixed it for you. cool
My son kills big WT's with a 243 and I used a 260 Rem. till this last season wish I could buy it back. These deer up here are not wearing armor. So take care of your health and lessen the recoil.

Best Alan
Buckfever, the 120 grain Barnes must be fairly long in 6.5. It sounds like you live in MB, and possibly hunt the Interlake area. I've never used the 6.5x55, only because the local store doesn't seem to cater much to folks in the know! From what I see after hunting around our part of Manitoba, there are a lot of hunters who use the .243 as Pacer97 mentions the Albertans do. You seem like you are on track...go for it.

Paul
More than enough cartridge.
Anyone have any field experience with the 140 Gamekings? They shoot well in my rifle as do the 155 Mega. The mega worked great about 2 weeks ago on a nice whitetail at 150 yards. Gamekings shoot well in my rifle and I think they would be great for longer shots.
They work just fine. Any cup and core does with the Swede. I prefer the Speed Hot Core or the Hornady Interlock. My personal favorite is the Nosler partition. I do think the Gameking is the softest of the lot, but they work fine.
I wish they still made the 140 Hot Cors.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Anyone have any field experience with the 140 Gamekings? They shoot well in my rifle as do the 155 Mega. The mega worked great about 2 weeks ago on a nice whitetail at 150 yards. Gamekings shoot well in my rifle and I think they would be great for longer shots.

In fact, I prefer the 140 Sierras for deer. IME, they do more damage that either Speer Hot Cors or Hornady Spire Points, which leads me to believe they tend to expand a bit more/easier. Modest velocity loads is where the Sierra bullets shine. According to the loading manuals, my 140 grain loads from my 6.5x55s are supposedly going a bit less than 2600 fps.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I use both the GKs and Interlocks, 140s and have found them both excellent at 2700 or 2750. They really put a deer down as well as giving good accuracy.
This Canadian uses a 22/250 and 257Roberts for deer. The 375s are for moose and tactical Sasquatch defence.

I'm thinkin' you'll be golden with your 6.5.

I have never owned nor shot a 6.5x55 but have used the 7/08 and 7x57 which are similar....I'd just stick a 125 Partition in the 6.5 and happily hunt any Canadian whitetail with it.

They may be big,but IME they drop to a 270 as well as they do a 300 magnum, and I see no reason the 6.5 shouldn't work as well. smile

Sounds like a good practical choice for them to me.
I shoot 140 SGK's as well with RE22 out of a Tikka T3 6.5 Swede with barrel twist 1-8". I agree 100% with OldRooster, very accurate and great terminal performance on deer and hogs.
Scott, Another bullet to consider for longer range shots (if your gun is 1-8" twist) is the 140 Berger Hunting VLD. These shoot a ragged cloverleaf at 100yds in my Tikka. I've harvested several hogs out to 200yds with this bullet in factory ammo produced by HSM ammo. They sell direct on the web and through MidwayUSA. Performance on game has been excellent.
Originally Posted by MCT3
Scott, Another bullet to consider for longer range shots (if your gun is 1-8" twist) is the 140 Berger Hunting VLD. These shoot a ragged cloverleaf at 100yds in my Tikka. I've harvested several hogs out to 200yds with this bullet in factory ammo produced by HSM ammo. They sell direct on the web and through MidwayUSA. Performance on game has been excellent.

Mine is 1-9" twist. I emailed Berger a few weeks ago and they told me the 130 Hunting VLD would barely stabilize in a 1-9" twist. Maybe I will try the 130s when they are back in stock.

no kidding....I can't do that with legit half minute rifles
© 24hourcampfire