Home

A local gun dealer told me that the best gun financial investment was not Belgium Brownings, pre-64 Winchesters, first generation Colt SAA, or anything like those.

He said it was Plain-Jane J-frame S&W 38 Special revolvers.

He said that if you invested your money in J-frame S&W 38 Specials, you can sell them any day (more liquid than oil), don't have to wait for political or other events to create excitement, and don't have to be studious or knowledgeable about specific models or fakes.

Just buy plain NIB J-frame S&W pocket revolvers and hold them until you want to generate cash for a profit.

Thoughts ?

Umm, I might suggest a Holland & Holland Royal Double or a Purdey for starters, if one has the means.
Sounds as if he had some revolvers he wanted to sell.
What is your level of return on investment? 5%,10%...50%
Pre-owned firearm will do that but at a slower rate than thought.
I buy,Pre-64's either Winchesters,Colts,S&W and sporter Mausers.
Put one kid thru collage with a S&W collection....

I've stayed away from military-type,antiques and customs,fun to own and play with, but a narrow market for resale or trade.

The English gun market requires a lot of attention to details,which can be a good return or a bust.I have one Jeffery shotgun I can double my money on now,but have lost on a rifle a few years ago....
I would think in this economic climate, any gun is worth buying for future sale. I would caution against off calibers and stick with the tried and true. In a SWTF situation, people are not going to want weird chamberings or hard to find ammo.

The bottom line is buy cheap easily feed guns and then you will see a maximum return on your "investment". years ago I bought a brand new SKS for $49. I bet I could get $350-400 for it now without much trouble.
Timing is always important. If your holding a gun to sell when you need the money, you won't get full value. Buyers can sense when you need to sell.
The thing I have a hard time with "gun collecting" is having all that money tied up sitting on a shelf for years on end guessing at what the future market is going to be when I try to sell it.

The only "gun collecting" I do is buying a gun now and again that I really like with my hobby money. Unless I get a bargain that I'm going to turn around and resell I never buy anything under the illusion that it's going to actually make money. I doubt most guns other than high grade collectors pieces even keep up with inflation.
Buy what you like, take reasonable care of it and just hang on to it. Unless it's a junker it seems that any gun will appreciate in value.

Who'da thunk a Nylon 66 would be going for $350, or 788's for upwards of $500?
Like anything it isn't just the type you buy. Grade and condition comes into play. Those that invested in Classic American Doubleguns have done really well as have those that invested in the English Doubles. I wouldn't be investing in something I knew nothing about weather that be guns, stocks, bonds, Baseball cards, or ect.
Wish I would have had the means and foreknowledge to buy 200 SKS's when they were under $100. I sold one at the height of the frenzy a year or two ago for $675 (some ammo, 2 stocks, bayonet, etc). That is a profit margin I can live with!
I don't buy guns as investments. Truthfully, there aren't that many guns that are very good investments at all, if by "investment" you mean an asset that brings a good monetary return later... at least compared to other traditional "investments."

However, I definitely use the "investment" angle to justify the gun purchases I've made to my wife.
Yes. I would be inclined to go with some European double rifles or high end shotguns. On the home front, maybe some Shiloh Sharps.

Looking at the rack in the stores, anything with a wood stock is probably going to be tomorrow's classic
I'm with Ranger on this one....
If I had had ten grand cash I would have ordered a stack of Russky SKS's when they first hit. I ordered a stack of ten for my local buddies, kept two (the most pimped-out) for myself. The effective interest rate would be over 8 percent, I think, perhaps more if they were cherries, as these were.
Originally Posted by RifleDude
I don't buy guns as investments. Truthfully, there aren't that many guns that are very good investments at all, if by "investment" you mean an asset that brings a good monetary return later... at least compared to other traditional "investments."

However, I definitely use the "investment" angle to justify the gun purchases I've made to my wife.

I agree with you.
My SKS is a Norinco one that I got thru Davidsons. It has seen many thousands of rounds and still shoots 2" groups at 100yds. For $49 new, they were indeed a great investment.

I guess the point is, a gun doesn't have to be fancy or limited in numbers to be a good investment. It's the market that dictates the worth of something, and there are plenty of ugly guns that will bring a good return if there is a demand for them.
I've long regretted my inattention when a friend of mine advised buying all the Russian SKS's I could afford, when they were going full up for $69. My thought at the time; "Who wants that crap".

Well, all I can say is M700 Classics haven't gone up as much as a lot of owners thought.......... grin

Casey
Originally Posted by shootem
I've long regretted my inattention when a friend of mine advised buying all the Russian SKS's I could afford, when they were going full up for $69. My thought at the time; "Who wants that crap".

Yep same here.

Originally Posted by Hammer1

A local gun dealer told me that the best gun financial investment was not Belgium Brownings, pre-64 Winchesters, first generation Colt SAA, or anything like those.

He said that if you invested your money in J-frame S&W 38 Specials, you can sell them any day (more liquid than oil), don't have to wait for political or other events to create excitement, and don't have to be studious or knowledgeable about specific models or fakes.

Just buy plain NIB J-frame S&W pocket revolvers and hold them until you want to generate cash for a profit.

Thoughts ?

Sound advice if you had bought them 5 to 10 years ago.
I pretty much agree with MontanaCreekHunter.

"Investing" in firearms is like investing in anything. You've got to know the market, then buy low and sell high.

Then there is the difference between the low-end market and the high-end. Really good guns in the $5000+ range will always sell, whether older custom hunting rifles (not synthetic stocked) or double-barreled shotguns.

Below that, oddball chamberings or special wood, or whatever, are the attractions. I have an 1894 Winchester in .25-35 made in 1898, with a 26" octagon barrel and special-order sights. It's in used but not abused condition, and I've been offered twice what I paid for it it 5 years ago.

Another is a pre-WWII German side-by-side double rifle in 9.3x74R. The company went out of business during the war, but I have also been offered twice what I paid for the rifle.

Maybe things will change with both rifles, and I'll take a bath, but I doubt it.

I do buy standard used factory rifles, if I get a good enough deal, but it's a lot harder to turn over a Remington 700 BDL .30-06 than a Remington 700 Classic .35 Whelen.
The best gun financial investment I can think of is a gun safe.

The only time I've tried to tell someone a gun is a good investment is when I try to make excuses to my wife that I need yet another one.

I think it may be fun as a hobby to buy and sell, but I don't think I would bet my retirement on it. Although, they probably have done better than all those mutual funds over the past several years. grin

Hmmmmmmm. Now you got me thinkin. Maybe, I should be buyin more guns and tell those Wall Street guys to go to that hot place with burning flames!!!! wink
Oh, no, I wouldn't spend my retirement money on guns.

Of course, my retirement "plan" is to keep working until they pry my guns from my cold dead fingers....
Any gun made out of solid gold was likely a good investment, most especially if bought about 10 years ago.
Or before Jan. 1, 2011. Gold has dropped since then, but who knows about the rest of the year?
I sure wish I had a relative that bought a Lefever Optimus in 1905 for $400.00 and kept great care of it, then decided to leave it to me. I would be one really happy camper.
Am thinking the S&W pre-lock would be a LOT better investment than the new ones...

The older ones seem to bring a premium.

Virgil B.
It's not what you buy, it's how you buy it...
I don't buy as an investment. I buy what I think I'll enjoy shooting.

At the range, I see a lot of AR and AK stuff. Not too many of us show up with blue and wood. In fact, I was once referred to as "that old guy with the John Wayne rifle (Marlin 357)". The AK and AR stuff seems to be where the market is in rifles. I'm not sure I'd net too much from selling my rifles, because I don't have much in the way of zombie guns.

I do wish I'd picked up a couple more Bulgarian Makarovs when they were plentiful though. It's a durable, cheap, reliable, accurate sidearm. They are not beautiful, but they are very well designed to do what they do.
Who would think that mint all matching Arisakas and Lee
Enfield SMLEs would bring the money that they do today?
RifleDude: I think you are way off base here!
My firearms investments are doing a hell of a lot better than the .01% that my savings account is earning!
My firearms investment are doing a hell of a lot better than virtually all real estate in the United States these days!
My firearms investments are also doing a hell of a lot better than the traditional stocks and bonds are doing of late.
Yeah you are way off base in comparing those "traditional investments" in a positive light next to my firearms!
I am way ahead with the guns compared to MOST other traditional investments these days!
Gold is not exactly a "traditional investment in most peoples eyes but for those who consider it "traditional" and have invested in it, it has been doing well of late.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Really? It only takes a cursory thumbing through the latest edition of the "Blue Book of Gun Values" to quickly see the vast majority of guns are not very good investments. I happened to be perusing my copy earlier this week, in fact. Of course, considering something is an investment presupposes you plan to one day sell it. I have no plans to ever sell any of my guns, ergo, not investments.

Obviously not all "traditional investments" are good investments. You're generalizing and oversimplifying things just a tad, there. Real estate can be a MUCH better investment than any guns. It all depends on location, location and location. There's also a time element involved. Just because something doesn't look so hot now doesn't mean 10, 15, 20 years from now it wasn't an excellent investment.
What does your "blue book of guns" list a pristine Lefever Optimus at?
Guns that get shot are not investments, not really.
Another one that makes me grumble these days is any lot of oddball Mausers in-country since 2000. I mean, Turk Mausers were coming ashore and retailing for 40 bucks. Now you can't even get a stripped bolt for that.
Honestly, tho, I think most of us aren't going to sell a darn thing until we are too old and clapped out to enjoy the money.
The best financial gun investment is a good 30-06, 300, or 338 with a good scope. If I could just stick to one rifle for all my hunting I'd be way ahead financialy....
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Probably about 50% of what you bought yours for from Tony Galazan.. wink

Gentlemen,
I wish I had listened to that little man running around in the back of my head back in the mid 70's and bought a couple of more Colts. I ended up with (3) 6" Blue Pythons I have an average of $250 each invested. If a guy had only picked up matching Diamondbacks in 22LR and 38Spcl. With about the same per piece invested at todays market prices I would be happy with pistols worth 5 to 8 times over a 35 year period.

Dave
I didn't know Tony had one for sale. I see you are keeping your eyes on him pretty hard.

That beauty would be just a little out of my league. I must admit it is may favorite high grade American by far.

Up to $60K.

I trust you aren't using that shotgun as an example to demonstrate that guns as a whole are great monetary investments, as that falls squarely in the "exception to the rule" category.
There are a few Doubles that will bring that price. But even lower grades will still bring a great price. For example I bought my first Win Model 21 Duck Grade in 1985 for $1500, sold that one in 2007 for $5500.
American Classic Doubleguns have more then held their value. Of course one needs to know a thing or two of them before making the investment.
I didn't know Tony had one for sale. I see you are keeping your eyes on him pretty hard.

That beauty would be just a little out of my league. I must admit it is may favorite high grade American by far.

At least you admit you can't afford one. Which sure is more honest than 99% of the other lies you've told thus far.

Your mention of the "blue book" as well as your dealings with Galazan, shows what you know about ACTUAL market values of anything that goes bang.

Your 20g CSM RBL side by side listed on the classified does not seem to define " High Value Liquidity"
Jim good to see your mommy let you out of your cage again.

Montany..

Not going to play the insult game with you.

If you look around on this gunwriter forum, Most folks here don't quite stoop that low.

The topic is GUN INVESTING- not you acting your shoe size. wink
Originally Posted by jim62

Montany..

If you look around on this gunwriter forum, Most folks here don't quite stoop that low.

You didn't take your own advise very well now did you?

Montany..

You didn't take your own advise very well now did you?

Well, then act like an elder and lead by example. wink

I will, if you will.
Jim you came on here starting chit. You had nothing posted on here but felt you needed to open your pie hole. So when you do so I gladly put you right back in your place. I know you don't like that but that is the way it is going to be. So why not just take your own advice and move along?
Jim you came on here starting chit. You had nothing posted on here but felt you needed to open your pie hole. So when you do so I gladly put you right back in your place. I know you don't like that but that is the way it is going to be. So why not just take your own advice and move along?

I noticed your post here and simply responded as a public service.

I figured just as many folks here need to be "saved" by your flawed "knowledge" of the gun market, as you feel need to be "saved" from a Greybull rifle.

I wonder if you stalk the ladies the way you "stalk" John Burns..??
Jim your knowledge is well known if you can google it you know it. If you can't google it you haven't a clue.
Jim your knowledge is well known if you can google it you know it. If you can't google it you haven't a clue.

You mean just like YOU just did down on the gunsmithing forum when you asked about the cost of a Greybull stock?

And then 5 minutes later posted a "cut and paste" after you "googled" it?

Wow Jim you have nothing better in life then to follow all my post. Can you say Stalker??????
Wow Jim you have nothing better in life then to follow all my post. Can you say Stalker??????

Actually, I was simply following what was a very good thread...

Until you showed up.

Then your utter BS had to be refuted for the good of many, at the expense of your inflated ego...

I know you country club types like to lick your own balls.

Just not much room for that here.

Most folks on this forum like to deal in reality.

Wait until the nane calling starts in earnest.......

Casey

Whoops, spoke too soon........

Casey
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Whoops, spoke too soon........

Casey

You did..

BTW, he can dish it out as well.

He's really classy.

And smart.

In his imagination.
Brownings.

Best in the world!

Thank me later.... wink
I did buy a Savage 99 in 358win about 15-18 yrs ago for $350. I saw one at the local gun shop, in the same condition as mine, selling for $795. That may me go HMMMM?
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
I did buy a Savage 99 in 358win about 15-18 yrs ago for $350. I saw one at the local gun shop, in the same condition as mine, selling for $795. That may me go HMMMM?

Yep they have shot up in price.. And in many places, even $800 won't buy a pristine .358 m99
I don't buy guns as investments.
I do..
Truthfully, there aren't that many guns that are very good investments at all, if by "investment" you mean an asset that brings a good monetary return later... at least compared to other traditional "investments."
True - but you can say that about nearly any type of 'investment'..

In order to profit decently, the investor (or rifle collector) must not only know the market, but know intimately the item one is investing in, as to rarity, condition, items included (box, tags, etc) and especially history.. I bought one O/U in '80 for $750 that I can get in excess of $3,000 today.. Not a bad investment..

Timing, condition, opportunity, history and knowledge is key..

And yes, I'll be sending my son through college with a part of my collection..

Originally Posted by Redneck
I don't buy guns as investments.
I do..
Truthfully, there aren't that many guns that are very good investments at all, if by "investment" you mean an asset that brings a good monetary return later... at least compared to other traditional "investments."
True - but you can say that about nearly any type of 'investment'..

In order to profit decently, the investor (or rifle collector) must not only know the market, but know intimately the item one is investing in, as to rarity, condition, items included (box, tags, etc) and especially history.. I bought one O/U in '80 for $750 that I can get in excess of $3,000 today.. Not a bad investment..

Timing, condition, opportunity, history and knowledge is key..

And yes, I'll be sending my son through college with a part of my collection..

All true, but considering all the investment options one could engage in, guns don't rank anywhere near the top of the list as a whole. If you're dealing with a very specialized category of rare, collectible, high value guns, they can be good investments, but that doesn't describe the majority of guns.

It's certainly a more fun way of investing, no doubt, and I know a gent who made a very good living dealing only in high end bespoke English shotguns as a business. If you really know what you're doing, you can do likewise. I've just seen firsthand a lot of gun owners who aren't in the business of buying and selling guns who think their prized guns are worth way more than what they really are, and it's pretty sobering when they discover ol' Bessy's true value.

Your view is a bit narrow on investment related guns. Even if they decrease in value, there isn't one that I couldn't use and get more satisfaction out of it than gold, silver and so on. I don't trust the Stock Market, every available dollar I get is invested in different stocks and precious metals, namely Colt, Winchester, Sharps, etc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I bought one O/U in '80 for $750 that I can get in excess of $3,000 today.. Not a bad investment..

2,000 of the 3 was eaten up by inflation over the 31 years. So the gun made you $32/year. Better than spending the money on women and booze but not a great investment as investments go. I guarantee I could make a heck of a lot more than $1k with $750 over 30 years of buying and selling guns than buying one and sitting on it.
All you guys that are financial whizzes will surely quibble this to death, but I look at guns as more of a hedge against inflation. Some gun values will outpace inflation, some won�t. But unless it rusts away, I haven�t really seen one that lost value over the years.

Sometimes I wish they did. I�d love to get a 1969 vintage $115 Model 17 for $85, or that 1968 $99 �Colt's Government Model� for $50!
True the masses of guns are not a solid financial investment, as is true with the masses of traditional investments. If they were we would all be millionaires. Knowing what you are investing in is the first step in making good investment choices. Eron and Maddoff preyed on the unknowing.
But my point is, assuming the investor knows what he or she is doing in both cases, and assuming equal currency to devote to said investments, the best "traditional investments" provide a much better return than the best firearms investments and the choices of the former for diversification are far greater and more readily available than the latter. It's not even close, in fact.

I'm not a financial whiz nor am I encouraging anyone to avoid buying guns as investments, as there's something to be said for investing in stuff that relates to your hobbies and therefore brings you happiness. However, I think viewed objectively, firearms are not among the higher return investments one can make. I don't think that is a controversial view by any means.
If you just look where this country is headed, and the trouble we could all be in very shortly, I think guns can be a good investment in more than one way.

They can feed you.
They can protect you.
They have trade value for goods and services you may need.
All you guys that are financial whizzes will surely quibble this to death, but I look at guns as more of a hedge against inflation.

I'm certainly not a financial whiz but I think that's a good way to look at it. If I spend say $500/yr eating out that money is basically completely wasted. If I spent that $500 on a gun and it keeps up with inflation or even if it only grew at half the pace of inflation it would be a relatively far better investment than money spent at the restaurant. In other words there's a lot worse things we could be spending our money on than guns smile
Plus, I tried oiling my stock certificates and it just wasn�t any fun. wink
No doubt. That's a great way to look at it. You guys have given me extra arrows in my quiver I can deploy on my wife to justify more gun purchases! grin
Originally Posted by Mar336
I bought one O/U in '80 for $750 that I can get in excess of $3,000 today.. Not a bad investment..

2,000 of the 3 was eaten up by inflation over the 31 years. So the gun made you $32/year. Better than spending the money on women and booze but not a great investment as investments go. I guarantee I could make a heck of a lot more than $1k with $750 over 30 years of buying and selling guns than buying one and sitting on it.

Investment is as subjective as the investor. I have over $180,000.00 market value of guns in my safe. I did not take it from our family budget, I saved everything I could to acquire a nest egg of $8,000.00 and then bought, sold and traded guns to accumulate what I have in that safe. I still have the $8,000.00 I started with and the past few years have accumulated the collection that I have and it still grows.

Had I done the same with the Stock Market, I would have needed over $50,000.00 of available capital to accomplish the same net value. On an annual basis, I never netted less than 100% on my money, sometimes as much as 200%...try that in the Stock Market!
Shrap, I think we're saying the same thing. You started with 8k and bought and sold guns until you accumulated a sizeable collection as opposed to spending 8k on a few guns and sitting on them for decades till the price went up.

I agree on the stock market. I'm not a big fan of it.

I dunno about that...
This is my two cents.

I have been a gun enthusiast (fanatic) since I was old 5 years old. I have, over time, gravitated to what I call "classic" american guns. Pre 64 Winchesters (model 70,71,94,64,12 etc) Brownings (Belgian and Jap A5, O/U, Hi power rifles, BAR etc) 1911's, hi powers, SAA, Rem 722, Garands, etc. I began purchasing them because I liked them. Pretty soon I had more than I could realistically shoot. I then began to cull and upgrade until one day I had a safe full of some really nice stuff. Some stuff I shoot and some stuff just gets fondled and oiled lovingly from time to time. I tell myself that my guns are an "investment" and I do believe they are. Given some time and energy, I feel I could cash out and get back much more than I invested. However, I dont really foresee "wanting" to sell, so in some ways, my guns just have my money tied up. An investment is only an investment, if you eventually cash in on it. I have the same issue with some nice timber on my property. There is a lot of potential there, but I would rather walk through large ipen hardwoods with my kids than cash in and be left with a clearcut. Many have mentioned Blue Book values. I used to rely on blue book values as a general guide, but I now feel that Gunbroker is a better gauge than Blue Book. My thoughts. thanks
Originally Posted by pharmvet
This is my two cents.

I have been a gun enthusiast (fanatic) since I was old 5 years old. I have, over time, gravitated to what I call "classic" american guns. Pre 64 Winchesters (model 70,71,94,64,12 etc) Brownings (Belgian and Jap A5, O/U, Hi power rifles, BAR etc) 1911's, hi powers, SAA, Rem 722, Garands, etc. I began purchasing them because I liked them. Pretty soon I had more than I could realistically shoot. I then began to cull and upgrade until one day I had a safe full of some really nice stuff. Some stuff I shoot and some stuff just gets fondled and oiled lovingly from time to time. I tell myself that my guns are an "investment" and I do believe they are. Given some time and energy, I feel I could cash out and get back much more than I invested. However, I dont really foresee "wanting" to sell, so in some ways, my guns just have my money tied up. An investment is only an investment, if you eventually cash in on it. I have the same issue with some nice timber on my property. There is a lot of potential there, but I would rather walk through large ipen hardwoods with my kids than cash in and be left with a clearcut. Many have mentioned Blue Book values. I used to rely on blue book values as a general guide, but I now feel that Gunbroker is a better gauge than Blue Book. My thoughts. thanks

That's very well said.
Again, sounds like your best gun financial investment is a gun safe.
It's embarrassing what my buddy paid for this:

[Linked Image]

A 4000% return on investment isn't bad.

In general nice transferable Class III weapons are a good investement since there is still strong demand and there is fixed number of them with no new ones allowed.......................DJ
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
If you just look where this country is headed, and the trouble we could all be in very shortly, I think guns can be a good investment in more than one way.

They can feed you.
They can protect you.
They have trade value for goods and services you may need.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We could soon see the excellent value of guns as an investment. Just consider game getter/personal defense type firearms as valuable, no particular brand..sorry JM :)) and remember the firearm is not complete without ammo!

Maybe ammo would be an excellent investment too, all alone smile

I rent all my guns...some I've had rented for over 50 years, haven't lost a penny and have gotten my money's worth from all, in one way or another!
I think guns could make a fine investment. Probably as good as anything else. Investing boils down to knowledge of the market. I know guys that have made a living out of buying and selling bamboo fly rods, fine art, coins, you name it. Most of these people make their money buying and selling this stuff because they're able to buy really cheap from folks that don't really know what they have or what its worth.

I doubt you would make much by walking into a gun shop and paying retail, unless you hold onto that gun for a long time. I'll bet that a lot of pawn shops have made a fortune "investing" in guns because they pay about a third of the retail price to folks that need cash right away. They also have the funds to buy estate collections, etc.

If you're lucky - yes.. Like one other above - I'm not necessarily in it to make tons of money but as a hedge against inflation.. The one I mentioned above is an extreme example.. The others I buy/sell are more in line with 1-3 years, tops.. One other example was a rifle I bought in '09 for $1600 and sold for $2950 the next year.. When you average all of them I've done over the last few years it's been close to a 10% annual return overall..

As with any 'investment', luck, timing, market etc., along with many factors outside one's control can make/break a profit..

What I like about firearms is that me, myself and I control everything about it instead of relying on some 'money manager' or 'fund manager' to be both good and lucky..

Originally Posted by herschel34
Originally Posted by pharmvet
This is my two cents.

That's very well said.
+1

added: I should have clarified my original post.. That '80 shotgun is not new, nor do I have the box/papers any more.. It's been used for 25+ years but is still in 95%+ condition.. If it was NIB the price could nearly double.. I neglected to give better info the first time.. My bad..

For those people into very high risk, high yield ventures, one Colt SAA would make a good basic portfolio.

You might want to look into offshore accounts as a follow up to this particular investment strategy.

Gimme all your stocks and bonds!

[Linked Image]
Wish I would have bought up a few Colt Mustang 380s when
they were plentiful and cheap.
A local shop closed out NIB Colt Pocket Nines at $350! cry
Buy stuff you like, enjoy it, feel somewhat secure that you have some value that will remain (unlike cars, clothes, or pulling a slot machine handle), but don't buy for investment or confuse with investment.

Lots of opportunities for firearms investment success - in the rear view mirror with 20/20 hindsight. Much less clear looking forward as to which will grow, stay the same, lose.
I wish I still had the Colt Woodsman Match Target I paid $50.00 for, used, but still in the box.

I also wish I had bought as many as I could have afforded at the time. For some reason, there were a lot of them in this area and no one seemed to want to hold onto them. They were plentiful for about $100.00 each.

From reading the other posts, I guess the only potential profit I have ever made, or could make is, I bought a new in box SKS about 12 years ago, and it is still new, never fired.
The best firearms for investment purposes are Side-by-Side Double Shotguns. Usually English made.
Buy stuff you like, enjoy it, feel somewhat secure that you have some value that will remain

Exactly. I just hope to have a good time and not lose too much money.

(BTW, otherwise, what you are doing could be construed as engaging in the regular purchase and sale of firearms for the purpose of making a profit.)
Originally Posted by Hammer1

A local gun dealer told me ....

He said that if you invested your money in J-frame S&W 38 Specials, you can sell them any day....

Thoughts ?

About $300 each around here, $350 if it's stainless.
What does your dealer want for a new one?
Take any gun in the 1963 Shooters bible you see at a gun show.

Take the asked current price and divide it by the original list price.
Then take the 48 the root of the ratio [48 years later].

The number will be 1.03xxxxx

That is 3% compounded.

It is a little better for 1873 Colt single action army.
It is a little worse for Mossberg bolt action shot guns, except .410.

But almost all other guns are 3% compounded.

Same rate as name brand guitars.

It is the background inflation rate.

Gold was fixed at $35/ ounce in 1963, it is $1435 today.
That is 8%.
Over the long haul guns are a great hedge against inflation-- in 1958 Golden State Arms in Pasadena, CA offered the following handguns for sale:

Webley Fosbery for $65.00; a US marked Remington-Lee Navy rifle in 45-70 for $47.50; and a Colt 1911A1 in .38 Super, retaining 85% of its original finish, serial number 85 for $125.00. If that was too much they also had a 1911A1 Union Switch and Signal for sale for $49.50.

If it was me, I'd probably be ordering custom Colt SAAs in odd-ball calibers, like the nickle plated 9mm SAA that came into the local gun shop last week...
Belgium Brownings purchased before the DM was floated, were one of the best buys in firearms
I bought my HP for $157 with a slide holster and a box of ammo and a spare mag!
Must have been the early 1970's

One of those, " wish I would have bought a dozen or more"

Not counting historically significant, museum grade, or highly collectable rare guns...

When is an older used gun worth more than the same gun model in current production NIB condition ?

For example, many trap shooters tell me that the older Browning BT-99 and Citoris were better built than current production ones.

On the trapshooters forum, older used BT-99s routinely are seen for sale asking more than Sportsman's Warehouse asks for current NIB BT-99s.

Really? It only takes a cursory thumbing through the latest edition of the "Blue Book of Gun Values" to quickly see the vast majority of guns are not very good investments. I happened to be perusing my copy earlier this week, in fact. Of course, considering something is an investment presupposes you plan to one day sell it. I have no plans to ever sell any of my guns, ergo, not investments.

Obviously not all "traditional investments" are good investments. You're generalizing and oversimplifying things just a tad, there. Real estate can be a MUCH better investment than any guns. It all depends on location, location and location. There's also a time element involved. Just because something doesn't look so hot now doesn't mean 10, 15, 20 years from now it wasn't an excellent investment.

I guess i will have to tell that to a friend of mine that paid 1800 bucks for a 1928 thompson about 15 years ago that it was a poor investment
Guns haven't changed in value for 150 years. An ounce of gold would buy a good gun then, and an ounce of gold will buy a good gun now.

Dollar has gone to .
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I guess i will have to tell that to a friend of mine that paid 1800 bucks for a 1928 thompson about 15 years ago that it was a poor investment

There are always exceptions to everything, and "good investment" is always relative to what you're comparing to. Notice in the passage you quoted that I said "the vast majority," meaning guns in general, not "all." You can always point to cases where someone got an exceptional deal on a rare or otherwise exceptionally valuable piece, but that's hardly typical. Even so, if eventually cashing out is your intention, there are still far better long term investments than firearms, but as is the case with all investments, there's always risk involved.

Taken as a whole, with very few exceptions, gun values don't even keep up with inflation.
I agree with Ted, some seem to be confusing a good investment with a good deal.
Originally Posted by GF1
Buy stuff you like, enjoy it, feel somewhat secure that you have some value that will remain (unlike cars, clothes, or pulling a slot machine handle), but don't buy for investment or confuse with investment.

Lots of opportunities for firearms investment success - in the rear view mirror with 20/20 hindsight. Much less clear looking forward as to which will grow, stay the same, lose.

Best advice yet!

+1
Originally Posted by KenOehler
Guns haven't changed in value for 150 years. An ounce of gold would buy a good gun then, and an ounce of gold will buy a good gun now.

Dollar has gone to .

Since the 1963 Shooters Bible was published, guns have appreciated at 3% compounded, while Gold has appreciated at 8% compounded.

I have made this formula, which I think is correct for annual compounding:

% rate compounded = [number of years root of ratio of new/old price] -1

Here are some examples using the formula:

A) A Colt AR15 was worth $500 in early 1994 before the assault weapons ban.
By 2000 the rifle was worth $1000.

% compounded = 6th root of $1000/$500 -1 = 12% compounded

B) A $10k purchase of Microsoft stock in 1994 was worth $200k in 2000

% compounded = 6th root of $200k/$10k - 1 = 65% compounded

C) An S&W 29 44 mag cost $140 in 1963.
That gun is worth $600 in 2011

% compounded = 48th root $600/$140 -1 = 4%

D) A Sav 110 30-06 cost $112.50 in 1963.
It is worth $300 today.

% compounded = 48th root $300/$112.50 -1 = 2% compounded

What does it all mean?
I have chosen some extreme examples here, but I know that guns, guitars, Leupold scopes, etc, have appreciated at 3% on average.

US real estate, Gold, and publicly traded US stock have done much better.

I buy guns for half what they are worth.

Let's not confuse investing with finding bargains.

Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by KenOehler

Dollar has gone to .

Since the 1963 Shooters Bible was published, guns have appreciated at 3% compounded, while Gold has appreciated at 8% compounded.

I have made this formula, which I think is correct for annual compounding:

% rate compounded = [number of years root of ratio of new/old price] -1

Clark.

Do this- compound the current NEW IN BOX PRICE- of those EXACT SAME GUNS- from 1963- not current versions made right now, but the Winchesters, Marlins ,Colts ,S&Ws,Remingtons, and Savages etc from that year.

Untouched and unused in the boxes(just like a gold bar would be) I think you will find that the guns made in 1963 have done better than gold in terms of appreciation..

Clark.

Do this- compound the current NEW IN BOX PRICE- of those EXACT SAME GUNS- from 1963- not current versions made right now, but the Winchesters, Marlins ,Colts ,S&Ws,Remingtons, and Savages etc from that year.

Untouched and unused in the boxes(just like a gold bar would be) I think you will find that the guns made in 1963 have done better than gold in terms of appreciation..

What is a like new in box 48 year old Sav 110 30-06 worth?
I would not pay $4,300 for one.

What is a like new in box 48 year old S&W 29 44 mag worth?
I would not pay $5,320 for one.

Gold was $35/ounce in 1963
Gold is $1392/ ounce in 2011

That is a ratio of 38 to 1.

Picking the worst examples does not tell much.

How about a NIB Savage m99?

What is the price of a new in the box 1963 Model 70?

Or a NIB Mannlicher Carbine

Or a Colt SAA??
Almost all guns are around 3%.

The single action army Colts are much better.
The bolt action Mossberg shotguns are much worse.

But the 3% of guns is just like many other collectible items.

My father bought $6k in Micro Soft stock and it went to $2M.
I bought a few stocks for $10k that went to zero.

But over all, stocks since 1963 have been ~ 11%, while guns have been 3% and gold 8%.
As an investment over the past decade Class 3 weapons have been spectacular
Originally Posted by djpaintless
In general nice transferable Class III weapons are a good investement since there is still strong demand and there is fixed number of them with no new ones allowed.......................DJ

Originally Posted by 458Win
As an investment over the past decade Class 3 weapons have been spectacular
Yep. These are the only firearms I've ever bought with an eye towards investment. I came to the NFA game late, but I've still watched my investments double in value within ten years. The guys who bought even as recently as 15 years ago have seen their NFA investments double and then double again. (The people who bought in prior to May 1986 have REALLY done well.)
[Linked Image]

Right now Hershey bars are going up at 5.6% compounded, while guns are at 3%.

Personally I am diversified, with bags of Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chips and I bought a 100 year old Colt revolver Saturday.
© 24hourcampfire