Home
Posted By: croldfort Green or Orange Front Sight - 02/26/11
I am considering a Fiber Optic front sight for my Marbles Bullseye Peep on a 20" barrel. I have never used one before. Any recommendations on Green or Orange? I am leaning to green, if no difference in the colors. Thanks.
Green. Seems to me to show up better without being so bright, like red, to obscure or distract from the target.
Posted By: CRS Re: Green or Orange Front Sight - 02/27/11
Personal preference, whichever you like the best.

I would choose orange over green.
I personally can't see the red or orange ones well in low light, whereas the green ones seem to glow. I've heard other guys say the same thing, as well as several guys say just the opposite. I think it has to do with the distribution of light receptors in the eye. I'd suggest a little low light experiment if you can get your hands on both colors. Many bow sights have fiber optic pins of both colors, makes it easy to compare.
I haven't looked at orange vs green but I have compared green vs red and I prefer the red. I got a second front sight for my TC Omega and that's how I compared the two colors I mentioned. The most noticable difference for me was the red seemed sharper.

From the responses so far it seems that there's a difference in how each one of us and our eyes interprets colors.

FWIW, I have issues seeing well in the dark and I don't like to wear sunglasses unless it's extremely bright outside. That's how my eyes work.
I would use green on the front, given the choice, for two reasons:

1--it does not wash out in darkness as quickly as red
2--it is not so bright in the daytime that it distracts my focus on the front sight
I vote for green. I can see green several minutes later than I can see red or orange, and that's when it matters. Any color works when the sun is high. When I choose to paint an opaque sight rather than install a fiberoptic, I paint it white. To my estimation, a matte white bead can be seen later than any fiberoptic. TEHO.
No fiber optic front sights for me. Too easily damaged. The ventilated hoods one sees offered for them pick up too much rubbish.
I like a large white bead like the factory sights on the Ruger Alaskan .375's. E
what E said,,,,,I prefered the green but have broken them a time or two. The use of the white beads works just fine anymore.
Posted By: jwall Re: Green or Orange Front Sight - 03/01/11
croldfort: I think Fish Head is on the right track. All eyes are not the same. Color blindness can be incremental. Sight in general is subjective.

We had a thread on target colors and different people (eyes) could see different colors better. If you haven't, go to a sporting goods or gun store and try different colors and see which YOU can see better. I think they will let you look into a dim room or into bright light.

My personal preference is orange BUT it might not work well for you.

JWALL

VEGETARIAN.......Indian Word For Poor Hunter

I can only answer to my own experience with bow sites.
It is green all the way the darker it gets. ALL the other colors are very dim to me the later it gets.
As mentioned they are very easily broken. I have gone away from
them for that reason.
good luck!
White bead is better, a gold dot reconfigured the way Francis Sell recommended,basically squared up, is my all time favorite. Fiber Optics are too course for my taste, by that I mean they are too large for taking a "fine" bead.
Posted By: tzone Re: Green or Orange Front Sight - 03/08/11
I would advise against the fiber optic sight. They are typically not very durable.

Of the choices if you're getting one, I can see the green better in low light situations.
I have both and slightly prefer the red. I haven't broken one yet. Most of mine are Williams Firesights.
© 24hourcampfire