Home
Posted By: Ruger270man Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/13/11
Is there really much difference between the two? Is there a benefit from using one over the other?

ex: 100gr TSX /257 Weatherby Vanguard (factory rifle) vs 100gr TTSX 257 Weatherby Vanguard (factory rifle)
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/13/11
The TTSX is a bit longer and is more difficult to load at a length that will fit into the magazine.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/13/11
While I haven't tested them I was informed the TTSx is a more reliable expander. Again I have know other knowledge, just ask my kids.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/13/11
I've had better luck with accuracy and expansion with the ttsx. I loaded them in my .257 vanguard with good results.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/13/11
I haven't loaded TTSXs in .224 yet, but I have loaded both in quite a few calibers I cannot say I see one as a better or worse expander. I have never seen either one fail to work as designed.

I have seen a decided preference for 130 grain TTSXs over 130 grain TSXs in a number of guns, and I have never seen a preference for TSXs over TTSXs in any caliber in any rifle I have loaded for.

I have seen tip damage on TSXs from feed ramp impact when repeatedly loading the same round out of a detachable magazine, and in those rifles I prefer TTSXs.

Those are the only times I have seen a reason to prefer one over the other.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/13/11
One of my 270s loves both bullets, but shoots the TTSX slightly faster (about 80 fps) with the same load of Re 19 and into smaller groups. The TSX worked great on 3 antelope last year. I'll try the TTSX this year.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
The TTSX is a bit longer and is more difficult to load

They give me nearly the exact same POI and grouping out to six hundred - 3006/168g. The longer TTSX requires compression for the same load. The TSX are a bit cheaper and easier to load so I probably wont be buying any more ttsx.

Posted By: southtexas Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
what makes the TTSX more difficult to load?
Posted By: handwerk Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
I load TTSX's for 5 different calibers and have yet to find any difficulties, and accuracy has been great along with on game "death causingness".
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
Originally Posted by southtexas

I'd expect length; copper bullets with a tip are getting pretty loooong. But I could be wrong there.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by southtexas

I'd expect length; copper bullets with a tip are getting pretty loooong. But I could be wrong there.

That is my issue.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
My only experience loading the TTSXs is in a .243 ( 80 grainer) and the .223AI ( 50 grainer)...neither of which present a length problem because they are both on the low end of the scale for their caliber.
Plus....the ,243 in a T/C Icon with detachable mag...you seat them so they fit in the mag and forget about it...

Accuracy is excellent in both...
Posted By: ursus148 Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
We have had some really good stops with the TTSX Bullets in .270 110s and .257 100s. I really like these two bullets. No reloading issues to speak of.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
Originally Posted by ingwe

Accuracy is excellent in both...

This is exactly what I've found in my 264 and 280..makes me wonder a bit if it wasn't a Barnes cosmetic change more than an improvement over actual bullet construction.Don't see much advantage with the TTSX except it looks purdier in a Bubba Buddy!!...1....2....3....4... I hear you typing laugh
BASTID!!!! laugh
Gotta say...they look pretty skookum in nickel plated brass... whistle

[Linked Image]
See..told ya ,now aren't those purdy!! laugh

[Linked Image]
My sphincter just slammed shut....
Wait till ya see those 45/110 paper patched howitzers in one!! cry..Not to fear, wouldn't think of desecrating a Sharps with one. grin

I cannot believe the rest of the merry band of turdlike people have not jumped on that line yet...

Of course, I'm above such behavior.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/14/11
I shoot the 185 TSX out of my 338 Fed. I shot 3 does with it last year and judging by the size of the hole coming out, I would say they expanded well.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I shoot the 185 TSX out of my 338 Fed. I shot 3 does with it last year and judging by the size of the hole coming out, I would say they expanded well.

I've shot quite a few hogs with that same load. No issues to date.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/15/11
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

I cannot believe the rest of the merry band of turdlike people have not jumped on that line yet...

We the merry band of turdlike people are above jumping on someone's sphincter...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/15/11
Whew...... grin
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

We the merry band of turdlike people are above jumping on someone's sphincter...

Mebbe so, but I'd still keep an eye on John Moses.

Just saying'...
Posted By: jetbrook Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/16/11
I shoot TTSX out of most of my rifles. Performance is really not any different than the TSX but for me they are much more accurate.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/16/11
It might help to check out the thread on impala loads on the African forum, which has a bunch of stuff on the TTSX/TSX question.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/16/11
I don't load either, but if I may offer an anecdote:

I speak fairly often with Randy and Coni Brooks. Both tel me that they are very often driven by customer demand more than actual need or even benefit.

Boattails and poly tips are good examples. Randy told me a couple years ago that he'd never have offered bullets with boattail bases if customers hadn't constantly demanded them. They are more expensive to make, require separate tooling, add yet more inventory demands, and (says Randy) add little if anything to performance. Worse, they make an already very long bullet even longer.

Poly tips drew almost the exact same comments from both Randy and Coni at the last SHOT Show when I managed to buttonhole them for a few minutes.
Posted By: badger Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/16/11
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
See..told ya ,now aren't those purdy!! laugh

[Linked Image]

I don't do nekked........

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 65BR Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/16/11
Badger - you getting those in a Tikka/Sako w/that COL?
Posted By: woods Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/17/11
The TTSX has a larger hollow point behind the plastic tip

338 bullets
[Linked Image]

Plus it reduces or eliminates detritus that is left from the manufacturing process in the hollow point on the TSX's

[Linked Image]

IMO that makes the TTSX a more reliable expander

Accuracy has been the same in my rifles
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/17/11
Originally Posted by woods
The TTSX has a larger hollow point behind the plastic tip

338 bullets
[Linked Image]

Plus it reduces or eliminates detritus that is left from the manufacturing process in the hollow point on the TSX's

[Linked Image]

IMO that makes the TTSX a more reliable expander

Accuracy has been the same in my rifles

Excellent point woods. With more of my terminal ballistics info in pistol bullets I have seen how much performance can vary when a tip is plugged or damaged. The consistency of the tip as well as the larger opening making me feel better about the TTSX. I could give a chit less about a slightly better BC from the tip or a boatail. I have found the TTSX easier to work up a load with in both my .270 and .35 Whelen.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/17/11
The both work but no doubt that the TTSX have been stupid accurate for me in everything I've used them in. Course the TSX don't lag by much.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Salmotrutta Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/17/11
I can tell you for sure that one doesn't fit in my Kimber. You must be pushing 2.9 COL on that one, maybe you have a Ruger? I have found with a 185 TTSX in my .338 Fed Kimber I need to crimp in the first groove to get them to fit in the mag, still work though, and the TTSX is my preferred bullet in all my guns from .270-.338.
Posted By: badger Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/17/11
Originally Posted by 65BR
Badger - you getting those in a Tikka/Sako w/that COL?

Just a dummy round. Mickey is building one for me on a Model 700 SA.
I always kiss lands, but no doubt this one is on the long side. Will have the sharpie ready when Mickey is done...........
Posted By: 65BR Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/17/11
It looked longish, but some SA's can take more COL, BSA, Sako's, other's w/non OEM boxes.

Thanks....sure you can 'stretch' things w/a good box in your 700.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/18/11
I just loaded up some 180gr TTSXs for my Savage .300 wsm, and they're too long for my magazine at the seating depth the gun likes for the TSX. I seated some a little deeper and they function, so now I have to see how they shoot. Hopefully accuracy doesn't suck. Otherwise it's back to the old TSX standby.
Posted By: sir_springer Re: Barnes TSX vs TTSX - 06/19/11
Ballistic coefficient is slightly higher for the TTSX, plus more reliable regarding controlled expansion.

Have used Federal Premium 130 TTSX in my .300 Win. Vanguard for several seasons. Killer on elk, and my rifle seems to like 'em a lot...

[Linked Image]

smile
© 24hourcampfire