Home
Posted By: Mannlicher .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
I picked up a CVA break open single shot at Academy Sports. They had a sale at $159.
The barrel is Spanish, by Begarra, and has a 1:10 twist rate.

Will this stabilize my 64 grain Winchester SP loads, or will I have to go to a lighter bullet?

If I have to go lighter, how about the 53 grain Barnes TSX?
Posted By: ingwe Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
Sam, it'll stabilize either one just fine...Ive shot oodles of 64 grainers and 68 gr Match out of a 1 in 10...
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
thanks ingwe, that is good news. I have a LOT of that loaded up now. laugh
The little rifle has gotten good reviews. At the price, I just could not pass it up.
If they would have had one in .308 in stock, I'd have gotten that one too.
Mounts and rings ordered, and I'll be using an elderly Denver Redfield 2-7X 20mm scope that is currently resting in the closet, waiting for a new home.
[Linked Image]
Might make a good pig gun..... grin
Posted By: doubletap Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
Might make a good pig gun..... grin

Pigs aren't hard to kill. You could do it with a 7x57. grin
Or maybe even a .270..............

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh..
I was just jokin'.... grin
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
Like Ingwe said, the 10 will do you just fine. My Ack is a 12 twist and it shoots the 63 Sie, 64 Win and 53 TSX really well. So, your 10 will perk and work for you with ease.

Each and every 12 twist 223 I've worked with will shoot the above slugs very well, and they're all you need for lopes/deer etc.

Dober
Don't have a .270. Do you think I should get one?
Originally Posted by doubletap
Don't have a .270. Do you think I should get one?

Only if you like Rainbows, and seeing bullets bounce off game....
laugh
booy, I am glad I bought this little rifle in .223 and not .270!!!!

On the other hand, everthing I have ever shot with a .270 died right there. I am confused.............. laugh
Killing stuff with a .270 must have been some kind of optical illusion..... wink

Maybe you just dreamt it..... grin
well it has been a few years. Maybe my memory is failing me. shocked
Whats a "memory"...? grin
Posted By: Ella Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
"Each and every 12 twist 223 I've worked with will shoot the above slugs very well, and they're all you need for lopes/deer etc."

Mr. Dobrenski, would you mind posting or pming your load data? I have a 1/12 twist .223 mini-mauser (standard chamber) that shoots great w. 55 grain bullets and 322, but hasn't grouped heavier bullets well at all. 63 grain fmj's show elongated holes and 2"+ groups at 100 yards. I've tried Varget and (I believe) 3031. I'd love to be able to shoot a heavier bullet on deer.

Thanks,
Ella
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
I think your problem might be the fmjs. I don't get good accuracy from any fmj. The best fmj accuracy for me is the Hornady 55 grain and it is considerably worse than the 55 grain soft points.
Posted By: MikeNZ Re: .223 twist rate - 09/20/11
My 1:12 will stabilise the 70 gn Speer (it's profile means that it's quite short for it's weight). Great deer bullet.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: .223 twist rate - 09/21/11
Sam what does that rifle weight? That is a great price!
Posted By: Cercocarpus Re: .223 twist rate - 09/21/11
I'm shooting the 75 Amax in a 1:9 twist, very accurate out to 600 yards. Every barrel is different, and your barrel might actually be a bit slower or faster than a 1:10. If you're on the edge, a bit of speed will help too, that said, I don't think you'll be on the edge with the 64 in a 1:10
Is the 53 TSX shorter than the 64 PP?
Posted By: Ella Re: .223 twist rate - 09/21/11
Thanks, LH and MN. I'd figured that it wouldn't shoot over 55 grains. You give me hope.

Ella
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .223 twist rate - 09/21/11
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sam what does that rifle weight? That is a great price!

dang little thing weighs over 7 pounds without the rings and scope! The 24 inch bull barrel is .74 at the muzzle. It has a target crown, and was made by Begarra, in Spain.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: .223 twist rate - 09/21/11
Heavy sucker that. Good looking rifle for the price. I looked at getting one for a youth deer rifle, but backed off when I heard the new replacement model would be much lighter. Have yet to see one though and decided to look at building a lightweight AR instead. I think you will find that rifle to be very accurate.
Posted By: efw Re: .223 twist rate - 09/21/11
Cool rifle man at a sweet price. I like those handy little break-open rifles.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .223 twist rate - 09/26/11
The mounts and rings showed up today from Durasight. I put those on the rifle, using Blue Locktite.
I mounted a Weaver (El Paso)steel V4.5 straight tube scope. I have two, this one has a fine cross hair reticle, my other one has the horizontal wire with post.
Headed over to the range to sight it in. It took 6 rounds to bring it onto the target. Best I could do today, was just under two inches at 100 yards. I was shooting some LC 55 grain FMJ.
I might not keep this scope on the rifle though. I have a nice Redfield 2-7X, also a 20mm straight tube scope that I may put on.

Now to put together some loads. I am thinking one with a 53 grain TSX, and the 64 grain Winchester SP I am using in my AR hunting rifle. I am sure the groups will shrink with decent bullets.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .223 twist rate - 09/27/11
I went back to the range today, and the zero on the scope had shifted. I guess it is just old and worn out after all. The glass was cloudy, not clear.
I found a nice little Nikon Monarch 1-4X with German #4 reticle on Optics Planet at a good price. It should be here by Friday, and I'll swap scopes.
© 24hourcampfire