Home
Posted By: Bogtrotter Turret presses - 09/27/11
Thinking of buying A redding turret press. Any opinions?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
My favorite
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
The best turreter that there is!

No, wait � the only turreter that's worth its bench space.

Ask Redding whether they still have any of the old reprints of my many-years-ago review of it. Or you may find it in an ancient issue of Handloader.

On a scale of five stars, an easy ten.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
You owe it to yourself to look at the Hornady LockN Load
progressive.
I have "shopped " for many years and finally purchased one in August.
Not a single hitch yet. Maybe a couple thousand rounds...
All pistol calibers but I will be loading 30/06 soon, and don't expect and issue with those either.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
I own a Redding and a RCBS turret press. They are both very good and produce very accurate ammo. The main plus to the redding is it has one more spot.

The Redding TP along with a RCBS Chargemaster combo and case prep station is pretty hard to beat...
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
Get a 550 Dillon.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
+1 on the Dillon. I've got a 650 that I use primarily for 223 and would be lost without it. If I were in the market for a turret press it would definitely be the Redding.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
I have had the Redding T7 for maybe 5 years and it is absolutely the best. I actually sold my Dillon when I got my turret press.

ddj
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
I like my Lyman T-Mag II turret press, but from what I've heard and read, the Redding's a bit better (less play and a bit more solid).
Posted By: Tejano Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
Same question, any thoughts on the Harrell vs. the Redding?
Posted By: k3yston3 Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
I like my Lyman T-Mag II turret press, but from what I've heard and read, the Redding's a bit better (less play and a bit more solid).

I've never found myslef wanting for more with my Lyman T-Mag. It produces accurate ammo, as accurate as my rock chucker.
Posted By: pal Re: Turret presses - 09/27/11
Hollywood turret press.
Posted By: KDK Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
I love my T7...
Posted By: deg967 Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
Don't wanna hyjack here..but been thinking of upgrading from my Lee "starter" Anniversary kit. Will someone explain to me what a turret press is and how its a better option? I'll primarily be loading for rifle calibers, .270 Winchester, .257 Roberts and more than likely a .223 & .357 or .38 sometime in the future.
Posted By: toad Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
i like mine. the primer feed kit is good stuff and the spent primer handling system is cool.

BUT, if you have case forming or heavy FL sizing of large cases, you will still need a standard press.
Posted By: like2shoot Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=588482

Not much of a pic, but you may get the idea.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=249156

You can also purchase additional turrets so that once you have adjusted your dies, you save time changing calibers.
Posted By: longwinters Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
Ive got the RCBS but the Redding is the mother of all turrets.

Long
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
My favorite too

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
I have an original T-Mag that my parents bought for me when I graduated from the 8th grade. The Redding is a better press because it doesn't have the play that the Lyman does. I've loaded a whole lot of cartridges on that old Lyman though.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
Originally Posted by deg967
Don't wanna hyjack here..but been thinking of upgrading from my Lee "starter" Anniversary kit. Will someone explain to me what a turret press is and how its a better option?

A turret press is a press that unlike a single stage like you have has a spinning turret on top that holds several dies so you can leave the most used ones set up..

I like to leave 5-6 of my most used seating dies in the press and swap out my sizing dies as I use them..
But if I am doing a bunch of a round at a particular round say 223 say in the spring-summer when I am not shooting the deer rifles much i'll leave the 223 sizer in and take out a seater that i'm not using much..
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
Originally Posted by deg967
Don't wanna hyjack here..but been thinking of upgrading from my Lee "starter" Anniversary kit. Will someone explain to me what a turret press is and how its a better option? I'll primarily be loading for rifle calibers, .270 Winchester, .257 Roberts and more than likely a .223 & .357 or .38 sometime in the future.

I have a Lee turret press that I sure like. Makes very good ammo and by inserting a stem in the middle you can have a progressive if you want.

I have several shell plates so you never have to remove dies. Just leave them in the shell plate and r&r it. No more adjusting dies, either.
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
I have several turrets and leave all my dies set up. I tried to work it so the most commonly used dies are in the same turret, but I trade rifles and Chang my mind a lot, so my favorites aren't always the same.
Posted By: kciH Re: Turret presses - 09/28/11
I've been using the Redding T-7 for about 5 years, have also used the UltraMag for around 20, and both are top notch products.

Contrary to what has been posted about the Hornady progressive press, you'd be making a huge mistake to buy it or trust them to back it. My first progressive was a Pro-Jector. Not only did it never work, they wouldn't even replace faulty parts without charge. Their new progressive press is just a warmed over version of the one I had and it was as big a POS as I've ever seen. I like their bullets a great deal, they should stick to what they know.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Turret presses - 09/29/11
I switched from the Ultra mag to the T7. The Ultra mag is more robust and has a taller gap but the efficiency of the T7 is more than making up for any shortcomings. The only thing I have noticed is that I can't use my Forster bullet puller nor leave my expander mandrels in it.
Posted By: TheBigJonson Re: Turret presses - 09/29/11
The Redding T7 works and is a better design than the 6-station press that it replaced, as it has more leverage than the older model. I also use several turret tops so I can leave my dies, properly adjusted, in place, and never have to touch them again.

I use the T7 for forming wildcat cases so that puts it in a different category than other turrets. It works great!

Progressive presses are not the same as a turret, nor are they intended for the same use. I still use my Dillon for certain operations.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Turret presses - 09/29/11
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson
The Redding T7 works and is a better design than the 6-station press that it replaced, as it has more leverage than the older model. I also use several turret tops so I can leave my dies, properly adjusted, in place, and never have to touch them again.

I use the T7 for forming wildcat cases so that puts it in a different category than other turrets. It works great!

Progressive presses are not the same as a turret, nor are they intended for the same use. I still use my Dillon for certain operations.

I do a lot of experimenting, and a lot of die changes. Usually not loading hundres of round at a tim. That is why i'm going with the Redding.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: Turret presses - 09/30/11
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter

I do a lot of experimenting, and a lot of die changes. Usually not loading hundres of round at a tim. That is why i'm going with the Redding.

Same here. A progressive such as a Dillon wouldn't even be an option for me.
© 24hourcampfire