Home
While out on Federal's web site this morning I noticed they have a new offering called the "Trophy Copper" bullet. Looks like a TTSX but they already load Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets so it made me wonder? Has Federal branched out and reinvented the wheel like Hornady, Nosler and Winchester did in the wake of Barnes wild success or are they simply renaming a proven bullet in hopes to generate even more revenue???

Looks the same. However, looking at Federal's site they offer bullets that are not available as a TTSX. Well, one example I ran across anyway was a 200gn Trophy Copper for the 338 Fed. No such thing as a 200gn TTSX.
Originally Posted by prm
Looks the same. However, looking at Federal's site they offer bullets that are not available as a TTSX. Well, one example I ran across anyway was a 200gn Trophy Copper for the 338 Fed. No such thing as a 200gn TTSX.

That's the EXACT reason for me asking... I was looking up options for my 338 Fed and saw the offering and knew a 200 gr. TTSX wasn't on the market as far as I knew...
After looking again, I think they are Nosler E-Tips, but with grooves.
Knight sold Barnes bullets with sabots under their own name. I used to shoot the "Knight EZ Load Sabots w/ Polymer Tip." Same as the Barnes TMZ.

Same sort of deal?
Originally Posted by prm
After looking again, I think they are Nosler E-Tips, but with grooves.

That is what it looks like from the photos.
How much of a difference does a product have to be to not infringe on copy right laws?
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
How much of a difference does a product have to be to not infringe on copy right laws?

Apparently not much. Although they say they make it out of a different material, and that all important tip is a different color. wink
What I hope this means is that some 200gn Nosler e-Tips will show up at Nosler's Shooters Pro Shop! As I understand it what's available there is typically overruns from factory ammo.
They usually won't tell you about behind the scenes licensing deals.
Sounds like maybe Barnes made some Contract Bullets for Federal.
I've noticed that the 180 gr Trophy Copper has better BC than the 180 gr TTSX (.523 vs. .453), and the better BC reflects better bullet travel in the Federal balistic data.

What are your thoughts on this? If my gun shoots them equally as well, which should I use for elk?
The Trophy Copper is essentially an E-Tip, not a TTSX.
I'm planning to shoot a 300 Win Mag with 180 gr rounds for elk this fall. What is better, an E-Tip or a TTSX?
Or maybe a GMX?
Originally Posted by WesternHunter2
I'm planning to shoot a 300 Win Mag with 180 gr rounds for elk this fall. What is better, an E-Tip,Nosler Partition or a TTSX?

I would go with the Nosler Partition.
Thanks, Hammerdown. You made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair. When I saw Nosler Partition in my quote, I did a qucik double take and then looked at my original post. Only then did I realize you had added it. LOL.

Yeah, it was just a joke..
Here's a screen shot from Federal's free 2012 Interactive Ballistic Catalog showing the 21 Federal loads that use the "Trophy Copper" bullet along with an image showing what the bullet looks like.

[Linked Image]

Part of the reason more manufactures are going with such bullets are the growing restrictions on where you can use bullets that contain lead.
I pulled one from a factory load and here it is with an E-Tip. (.338 200gn). Differences are the color of the tip, the grooves and the boattail is a tiny bit different.

[Linked Image]
OR, Federal could be producing their own copper bullet, since they (ATK) do own Trophy Bullets. Would make sense that its called "Trophy" copper...like the TBBC and TTBBC, and the former Trophy Sledge Hammer.
They (ATK) may very well be producing it, but there is no doubt about where the design heritage lies. It even has the same unique tip as the E-Tip where the copper and the plastic tip are not flush.
Didn't ATK buy Barnes last year or am I thinking of another company that bought Barnes?
Cerberus bought Barnes.
Cerberus as in Remington's parent company?
yes
I don't think it's an E-Tip. Website says all copper bullet. E-Tip and GMX are gilded metal.
Federal refers to it as a copper-alloy in some documents. What that means, I don't know.
Guys, refer to the September issue of Shooting Times. On page 78 there is an article about the Federal Premium Trophy Copper Bullet.

It seems it is nothing more than a Nosler E-Tip that Federal has added the pressure relief grooves to. Federal claims they place the grooves to make sure the depth and placement is optimal for each load.
Originally Posted by R_Flowers
Guys, refer to the September issue of Shooting Times. On page 78 there is an article about the Federal Premium Trophy Copper Bullet.

It seems it is nothing more than a Nosler E-Tip that Federal has added the pressure relief grooves to. Federal claims they place the grooves to make sure the depth and placement is optimal for each load.

x2
© 24hourcampfire