Home
Posted By: jetbrook 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/22/12
What will a 257 Weatherby do that a 264 Win Mag wont. In comparable bullets weights velocities are close and you can go to heavier bullet weights in the 264 over the 257. Trying to decide on one of these two calibers for my next build.Also one plus brass is a lot cheaper.
That's exactly why the .264 gets the edge in my book
Posted By: GF1 Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/22/12
There's a huge difference...same case capacities, .007" in bullet diameter.
Both excellent cartridges but the .264 gets the nod with me.
The only thing a .257 can do that a .264 can't do is fling an 80 grain hunting bullet in the TTSX. Whether or not that is worth anything is up to you.
Yea but the same can be said about the 264 you can shoot a 140gr bullet.
Or a 160......
In my mind they are same same til you go long.
I am now a .264 junkie! The bc's and sd'd are some of the highest of all the calibers and there is a bullet weight for almost anything in North America. Probably the most under-rated caliber in existence.

That said, the .257 Roy has absolutely no flies on it. They'll both do the same things very well. Pick your favorite, as you'll never remember the logic only the things you wish you'd have done.
264 for me just because I happen to have a pre-64 Westener so chambered that really gets the job done, that being said I plan on getting a 257, probably in one of the new Vanguards.
The 257 is about 1.2" flatter at 500yds with comparable bullets. Not enough to matter.

Both good carts.
loader: just curious, not looking for a fight...what comparable bullets were you comparing?
.264 Vs. .257?! What decade is this? Wasn't this settled in 1969?
No, and the 270 vs 30/06 wasn't settled in 1925, either. grin
Originally Posted by southtexas
loader: just curious, not looking for a fight...what comparable bullets were you comparing?

100grn NBT @ 3700fps for each. It's a wash IMO.
yep, I agree. Cep the 264 is, of course, cooler grin
Do like I do and own them both! Then you can find out which one is "better" (if that is possible)! wink
I could do either one, though I have always liked the 6.5 bore better than the .257 myself.
Posted By: efw Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/23/12
At hunting ranges can't imagine what the difference would be.

The only difference for me is that I was offered a trade for a Roy rather than the 6.5... if it'da gone the other way, I'd have jumped on that, too.

My Vangard is pretty freakin' accurate and squeezes enough from RL22 in that "little" 24" barrel to make it worthwhile over my 257 AI.

I love it.

Oh... and you can easily form 257 WM from either 264 WM or 7 RM brass, so that is a non-issue.
When comparing similary weight for caliber bullets there isn't too much difference out to 500yrds. After 500yrds they start to separate in favor of the .264

Here's a comparison:

At 500yards

.257 115 grn berger bullet BC of .466 drop of -37" drift(10mph) 16.4" 1312 ft/lbs

.264 130 grn berger bullet BC of .552 drop of -41.4" drift(10mph)14.7" 1453 ft/lbs

At 1000yards

.257 drop -253.9" drift 80.3" 559.2 ft/lbs

.264 drop -262.00 drift 69.8" 709.2 ft/lbs

So the big difference is in wind drift. So for me I chose the .264 due to the much higher BC bullets you can get and the higher Sectional Density of those bullets.

Can't go wrong with either one.

I've had both and don't think there's a lick of difference. I've still got a .257 though. Of course I'd like a .264 as well.
Posted By: KDK Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/25/12
Originally Posted by ken458
Do like I do and own them both! Then you can find out which one is "better" (if that is possible)! wink

That's what I plan on doing... I have an SPS SS .257 in a McSwirley, and plan on getting an M70 Sporter in .264.
I like a 264, high BC bullets and mine shoots well.

Bb
It is kind of odd I was discussing this on another forum today. I posted some screen shots from quick load and exbal to illistrate a point. I have not read this entire thread, but here are the screen shot take them for what they are worth. Note that I gave the 257 weatherby 50 fps above what QL predicted by accident.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The weatherby wins by a small amount in elevation, but the important thing, windage goes to the .264 by a small margin.
EddyBo,

You might run the same comparison using the 130 gr VLD in the 264 WM. I suspect the elevation difference between the two cartridges would disappear while still having an advantage in windage for the 264 WM, particularly if you run the 257 Wby at the velocity QL gave.
Do you like "Winchester" or "Weatherby" better? Go with what tickles your fancy.

Of course, the 25 has the bottom covered better for varmint shooting; the 264 has the top covered better for elk.
Why not one of each? That's always been my solution to this sort of question.
That's our JB. Ever the practical one.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Exactly
I agree. In this case about the only thing that would be better is "two of each", or better yet a couple of 7x57s.
Or three 7x57s!
Posted By: efw Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/25/12

Preach on brother; preach on!
Posted By: efw Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/25/12
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Or three 7x57s!

& 30-06s, too...
I own a 257 Roy and it is an absolute antelope and deer slayer with 100gr TSX's. If I had to live the rest of my hunting days with only one rifle...I could do worse than a 264WM. Don't know why but that cartridge has always interested me.

Elk COuntry
My pick is the .264 Win Mag.

It works real good.

[Linked Image]
Yeah, but it's well-known that you won't even shoot at an animal unles it's two miles away....

What barrel length/twist are you using on your .264's?
Based on that one, looks like a pack monster!
Yeah, but it's well-known that you won't even shoot at an animal unles it's two miles away....

26 inches and 1 in 8 twist. It is MAGIC. grin

Well maybe not MAGIC, but it works really really nice.
Very nice ram, John. Man, sheep with heavily broomed horns sure have character, don't they!

What bullet do you usually use in the 264 for hunting?

Ted
I am kind of fond of the 140gr VLD.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/27/12
I launch that one at about 300 fps slower than you and it still impresses.
I like the looks of both, but do not have either.

I do have a .270WBY. Throw that one into your mix and see how you get along.
Originally Posted by croldfort
I like the looks of both, but do not have either.

I do have a .270WBY. Throw that one into your mix and see how you get along.

Now you're talking!!!!
The difference is the .264 is one of those dead rounds, excellent
but dead like a 7 WSM.

The 257 mag can be purchased new over the counter and bullet choices in factory ammo too.
But who really uses factory ammo, anyway? whistle The component choices ABOUND in the .264! From 85gr varmint whackers all the way to 140 and 160gr elk slayers. No such thing as a "dead" cartridge when components are available!

If there was a bad thing about the .257 (there isn't) it would be that the bullets poop out at 120gr, even though there's plenty enough powder capacity (even in the 'bob) to go higher, and that's when the two cartridges would REALLY become indistinguishable. The .257 would gain in the bc's and sd's, and if that did happen, I'll guarantee you'd start seeing .257-.284's on the 1000 yard competition lines!

For that reason, alone, my pick is the .264. Flip a coin, or buy both!
Posted By: GF1 Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/29/12
If this rifle were chambered for the .257 Weatherby, and it shot like it does as a .264, I'd like it just as well (I think).

I had to see for myself if .264 bullets bounce off deer...they don't (this one shot with a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, about 125 yards, about 3300 fps at the muzzle; bullet found under hide on opposite side. DRT.)

[Linked Image]
Wow, nice rifle. Classic super grade?
Posted By: GF1 Re: 264 Win Mag vs 257 Weatherby - 01/29/12
Yep...New Haven, one piece bottom metal, one of the limited run of "Westerners" made in 2000.
Is the fellow next to you the owner of the company that made your rifle, I met him at the SCI convention last year in Reno, he has a video where that show some sucessfull shots at game that is way out of reach for most shooters. By the way, nice ram.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

26 inches and 1 in 8 twist. It is MAGIC. grin

My crop sniping rifle has a 26" 1:8 twist and I couldn't agree more about it being magic. So far 620 yards on a deer is still my longest kill. reflex264

Well maybe not MAGIC, but it works really really nice.
© 24hourcampfire