Home
Got a question for those more experienced than me...

Does anyone think that low pressure cartridges are more "enjoyable" to shoot than high pressure cartridges?

I've recently started shooting the 7.62x39 and for some reason it just seems like a pleasure to shoot in a short barrel (16" or 18")compared to a .223/5.56 in similar barrel lengths. I found the 35 Rem to also be very nice to shoot. The 7.62x39 and 35 Rem are both under ~42k psi so I was wondering if there's something to this or if maybe I'm just crazy crazy!?!?

I know that muzzle blast affects me more than actual recoil. Do the higher pressure cartridges have more perceived muzzle blast? I would think so. I know that one would need to compare various cartridges in similar rifles so its possible that I'm mixing apples and oranges (different actions, different rifle weights, etc.) but for some reason it seems that I like shooting low pressure cartridges even if the recoil is high like a 12 gauge with slugs or turkey loads.

I don't think its stictly a recoil thing either. I had a .243 that I didn't care for, but the recoil was low. Maybe its the recoil velocity, muzzle blast, and stock fit?
I think I agree with you, if I understand you right.
I don't understand myself sometimes!
I think it is more of an underbore-vs-overbore issue.

In theory, a higher pressure round that delivers a given level of projectile velocity will have lower pressure, cooler gas than a lower pressure round delivering the same performance. In essence, the higher initial pressure results in more of the energy being extracted as mechanical energy...leaving less in the hot gasses behind the projectile.

The issue is confounded. The technology of smokeless powder and metallurgy co-evolved. The 30-30 was the knife's edge of how much smokeless powder you could stuff into a cartridge given the powder and steel of the day. Things proceeded rapidly from there.

Consequently, it is hard to find an modern, underbore round that is loaded to high peak pressures.

One experiment would be to compare a .308 Winchester 150 grain load with a .300 Rem Ultra Mag delivering the same velocity with the same powder (say H-4895). The .308 would likely have higher peak pressures and milder shooting characteristics.
The 7.62X39 has about 3/4 the muzzle energy of the .243. That's why it's more comfortable to shoot, gun weight being equal.
the answer is weight! Higher bullet weight and powder weight and, lower gun weight all add up to more recoil. For just plain old shooting, less recoil is the way to go.
No, it really is in the gas pressure at muzzle exit. A smaller cartridge or a longer barrel simply has a lower pressure report. That equals a quieter report. A 300 Savage goes "blam" compared to a 308 that goes "BANG", as one example.

Burn rate of the powder is also a factor, but the myth that some powders are still burning as the bullet exits is just that: a myth. The turth is that a faster powder will have a lower residual pressure at bullet exit. Lower velocity, too, but that's another issue.
The higher the pressure, the sharper the "crack". Or so it seems to my ruined old ears. I hunted with a .30-30 this past fall, and I'll be doing the same next year, if for no other reason than it was so much more comfortable to shoot. (In terms of muzzle blast.)
i think it all comes down to recoil. less recoil equals more fun. ymmv.
Seems like you need to compare apples to apples to figure out your question. There are plenty of low pressure rounds that are no fun to shoot for an extended period of time.

You should compare same caliber, bullet weight, velocity, and gun to get some idea. Something like the .223 vs. the swift loaded to the same velocity. The swift will have the lower pressure, but will it be the more enjoyable round?

I think rounds that burn less powder and have lower velocity are probably the more enjoyable factor, not what pressure they operate at.
Go out and shoot a brick of 22 LR and then5 0 rounds of .308 or ?. You will answer the question pretty fast.
I always enjoyed shooting .30-30 the most but I've fired about as much .30-06.
Originally Posted by whitetailhunter
I always enjoyed shooting .30-30 the most but I've fired about as much .30-06.

While I have done a fair amount of 30-06 shooting,most of my shooting and hunting is done with single shot 30-30's and a little lever action thrown in. The 30-30's with LeverEvolution powder and 170FN Sierras are plain fun to shoot and hit hard @2300+fps. Just starting to dabble with the 140 monoflex and 160 ftx bullets. That LE powder has changed the whole 30-30 ballgame with low published pressures as well.

Might even pull the pin on a Davidsons Exclusive model 464 Mossberg 30-30 rifle to play around with. The 30-30 is a shoot all day and have your shoulder ok at night type of round. The most fun you can have without laughing.
While the recoil of a 22-250 might be more noticeable on the PD fields over the course of a day even when downloaded to 223 speeds, I suspect most would perceive a less abusive round in the short term when so loaded (compared to similar, full steam, .223 50 or 55 grain loads.) The same would probably be claimed for the 30-06 loaded to 30-30 speeds, as well as others.
I've shot lower pressure cartridges a lot, and i'm not sure i can really tell a difference.
Try a .54 Hawken with 460 grain bullets, low pressure for sure. Fun, yes. Enjoyable, not so much.
Seems they generally have a lesser muzzle blast, that makes them more enjoyable for doing a lot of shooting for me.
The most enjoyable for me are the fairly straight walled cartridges that shoot cast bullets well.
That can be taken too far also, as far as enjoyment, but I'd generally agree. It's also very hard to beat revolver rounds in a rifle for pleasant shooting, provided it's a closer range enterprise. Too, those rounds can be a lot of fun at longer range with proper sighting instruments.

One of my favorites to take to the range is a Mini Sharps in 30-30.

I don't think the fact that it's a low pressure round truly makes it enjoyable, as anyone who's shot a #3 in 45-70 can attest, but on the average they are more apt to be fun to spend the day with.
Where this really makes a difference is in handguns, especially revolvers. Try shooting a .40 S&W along side a 38/40. Same ballistics but much different experience. E
I seem to prefer lower pressure more and more over time. My 30-30 and my 45-70 get more use than anything other than my rimfires. Still hanging on to my Rem 760 in 308 for when I need a little extra range, but no magnums or 'hot' rounds in the stable.

I will admit that I've got a hankering to throw together a 20" AR in .223 just to see what kind of general purpose ranch rifle it will make.
The AR, at it's current level of development, is one of the most useful recreational and general use rifles in existence. I highly doubt that you would regret the purchase. The one caveat I'd offer is to spend the money on what you want up front, you can have these things any way you want them, as the upgrade route is far more costly and lacks the resale should you decide it's not for you.

handloading up and down on a variety of cartridges...I have found, less powder, less recoil...all things being equal..

other variables, but that one is the easiest to have control over...

some powders have a bigger Boom to them then others also...

such as 5744 vs 4198 or RL 7 or SR 4759...

or 2400 vs 4227...

less powder also does not equate to lower pressures either...when one is using a faster burning powder...

I do a lot of reduced loads, which people think are less pressure... where in reality frequently it is just less velocity.
© 24hourcampfire