Home
I just got a Mauser 98 - actually a 1909 Arg - that was converted to a 30-06 sporter. The action is in really good shape, wanting to make a 9.3x62 out of it. Looking for options on barrel makers.I don't want a cheap one, but I also don't want to pay a small fortune either. Thanks
Douglas and Pac-Nor are the two I use the most.
Does the existing barrel have open sights you would like to retain? If so, you might consider a rebore.
I have a Lothar Walther 9.3x62 barrel on my Interarms Mark X mannlicher that shoots well and isn't really broken in yet, less than 100 rounds sent down-range.

Jeff
Re. - Tony - it is the original military barrel, with the huge ladder rear sight and steps in the barrel diameter. Not really worth messing with.
I have a CZ full stock with a 20.5" barrel. I find the barrel to be a great size, quick moving, and very accurate. I bought the gun for Moose and Bear hunting. Perfectly balanced in my hand. Buckfever1
I sent J Kobe my JC Higgins model 51 and he installed a # 3 Shilen barrel a side swing safety and a Timney trigger in short order "less than 2 weeks" and it didn't break the bank. Charley Santoni has it now and will coat it and bed it in the McMillan stock "16 weeks" Expect to wring It out in about 2 weeks. Have a bunch of 250 AB's standing by.
On my 1909 9.3X62 I used a Lother-Walther #720. It's a medium contour that's light at the shank. It handles well and the rifle weighs about 7.25lb finished with the barrel shortened to 21". The rifle is VERY accurate and I really like the contour.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Originally Posted by TC1
On my 1909 9.3X62 I used a Lother-Walther #720. It's a medium contour that's light at the shank. It handles well and the rifle weighs about 7.25lb finished with the barrel shortened to 21". The rifle is VERY accurate and I really like the contour.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Nice rifle Terry. I was looking to do the same thing but with the more classic barrel length. Then found one already done in the 9.3x57 from Hornsurgeon. It is about perfect in balance in the hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Sweet fancy Moses! Doesn't that thing hurt?

Mine is 9lbs and she seem to buck pretty solid.

Travis
As to the original posting here is the info
I found for the Walther barrels in 9.3x62:

Lothar Walther Precision Tools, Inc.
3425 Hutchinson Rd.
Cumming, GA 30040

Phone: 770-889-9998
Fax: 770-889-4919
E-Mail:
lotharwalther@ mindspring.com

They are already in M98 prethreaded and countoured. It is worth a look at their site,
fyshbum - Can't beat someone local - just down the road, I'll check it out.
Thanks!
TC1 - who made the sights on your rifle, NECG??
They ain't made down the road.
Yeah - figured that, but maybe can save on shipping if they have something in stock.
Steel - Will Pac-Nor send a threaded, short-chambered barrel? Or do you have to ship them the action to be fitted? I can do the headspacing, reaming, crown, etc.

Thanks
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Steel - Will Pac-Nor send a threaded, short-chambered barrel? Or do you have to ship them the action to be fitted? I can do the headspacing, reaming, crown, etc. Thanks

http://www.pac-nor.com/prefit/
I like Pac-Nor a lot, and they will do a pre-fit barrel for you.

I also recommend Charlie Sisk at Sisk Rifles for gunsmithing.
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
TC1 - who made the sights on your rifle, NECG??

Yes, those are NECG sights.

Terry
Another vote for Lothar-Walther. I had Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville install mine. He does great work at very reasonable prices.
I have several each of Douglas, Shilen and Lilja and all are good. If Douglas is good enough for Melvin Forbes, it is good enough for my rifles. Shilen is my gunsmith's favorite and Lilja is my personal favorite for the varmint caliber barrels I have. Also have a Hart which is fine. Lots of good choices.
Yeah, there are a lot of good barrels these days. I will also note that the 9.3x62 is one of those inherently accurate rounds that tend to shoot well anyway. This is partly due to the bullet diameter--bigger bullets are more easily made to balance well--but also probably has something to do with the round itself. At any rate, I have never run into a 9.3x62 that didn't shoot VERY well, even with factory barrels.
I just gave Nosler's 9.3x62 data a glance. Looking at the powder selections and doing a little figuring with bore areas vs. bullet and charge weights, a person could get the impression that it's an overgrown 308. Could that be why it's so easy going? grin
That's no doubt part of it.

By the way, there's a wildcat out there called the 9.3 B-S that's even closer to an overgrown .308!
Who did the stock?
Originally Posted by Alectoris
Who did the stock?

Me

[Linked Image]

Terry
Very nice!!!
Mule - I thought about that one, but making a Mauser feed belted cases smoothly is tricky. I read your article on using a old military action vs. a newer commercial one, and decided to keep it something that would feed without too much extra work.

Thanks!
GunLoony88,

I wasn't suggesting you do a 9.3 B-S, which is an utterly redundant round (as are most wildcats) designed to work in a typical modern short action.

Actually, however, it isn't diffcult to get a Mauser 98 to feed belted cases well. The cartridge just has to be the right length and taper. In fact the .375 H&H was originally designed to work in the 98 Mauser action with a longer magazine. I've also converted a .30-06 commercial 98 action to .338 Winchester Magnum, and it feeds really slickly.
That is a fine looking shooting iron you have there Terry. My next rifle is going to be a 9.3 mm I want it to shoot lights out with 286 gr Nosler Partitions, I want to be able to zero in dead nuts for 100 yards and still be dead nuts at 500 yards with no having to play with turrets or anything like that. No recoil to speak of and it can't weigh more than 6 pounds fully loaded. Yea in my wet dream.
© 24hourcampfire