Home
Posted By: exbiologist Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/28/12
My grandfather just passed away and my mom is now shipping me his gun. I don't know much about these, other than it's a 12 gauge, from Finland ( he moved here in the 1950s from Finland, with the gun, did not buy it here). Don't even know which model it is yet.
Pretty sure he never even used it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also, would you have any concerns about firing full power turkey or pheasant loads through it? What about steel shot?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/28/12
Looks pretty similar to a Savage/Valmet 330, although the checkering is better, and the stock a bit different. Mine was new in the 1970's.

The action seemed very sturdy on the one I owned, but it did not pattern very well. Strength wise, I would think it fine for turkey & pheasant loads, but I would talk to Valmet about steel before shooting it.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/29/12
That looks to me pretty much like a Valmet M-412. Actually pretty nice guns. It may not be chambered for 3"... But then it may be...

GH
Posted By: jt402 Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/29/12
My guess would be no on the steel shot. Otherwise 50's technology is/was fine. Enjoy, jack
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/31/12
That is actually a very strong action inspired by the Remington 32 target gun. The 1932 patents expired in the '50s and Valmet adopted the design, as did one other maker (Perazzi?). I think what you have is a like-new Valmet Lion. It differed from the later model 412 mainly in that the 412 was offered with interchangable barrel sets. You could have a double rifle, a quail gun, a duck gun, and a combination gun on one action.

Very nice gun.

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/31/12
It is a Valmet Lion. The gun is in super condition! I had one years ago in 12ga 2 3/4" 26" IC/M. They had plain extractors. I loved the gun and shot well with it, so I sold it. crazy frown

Posted By: dhg Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/31/12
As above, it looks to me to be a Valmet lion which went on to be the Tikka 412, and which can now be had as a Marocchi "FinnClassic" after Tikka sold the machinery to some Italians. As i remember, the Finns actually started with the old Remington 32 machinery. I would consider that a fairly desirable bit of history and to have some significant collectors value. You may also be able to get combination and double gun barrels to fit (i'm not real sure on this - i'll defer to someone with greater expertise). I think the design heritage is shared with Kreighoff shotguns.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Old Valmet Shotgun - 03/31/12
still waiting on the gun to arrive today, but I got a box of Sears Xtra Range 12 gauge 7 1/2 paper shotshells in the mail just now. Kinda cool in and of itself.
© 24hourcampfire