Home
Posted By: GSSP Proper pronunciation for Lapua - 04/23/12
I was corrected by a Sierra tech once on how to properly pronounce Lapua. He was close.....Listen

http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua/lapua-video.html

Alan
When I was over there, they pronounced it "LOP-wa."

I asked the president of Valmet how to pronounce "Valmet." He said "VOLL-m't." (Rhymes with "doll mitt.")

Twain wrote "They spell it Da Vinci and pronounce it Da Vinchy. Foreigners always spell better than they pronounce." laugh
Yeah, and they pronounced "decades" with emphasis on the second syllable whereas in the U.S. the emphasis tends to be on the first. I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.

If only you would spell words corectly you would have much less trouble pronouncing them. You guys say the word the way you spell it but the corect spelling is aluminium and then the pronounciation is easily comprehended. grin grin grin

Von Gruff.
Originally Posted by VonGruff
I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.

If only you would spell words corectly you would have much less trouble pronouncing them. You guys say the word the way you spell it but the corect spelling is aluminium and then the pronounciation is easily comprehended. grin grin grin

Von Gruff.

Junior class play: The Family Nobody Wanted - one of the lines was, "We're all out of aluminum paint." The girl could not pronounce the word aluminum - usually came out something like "amoolium". The director finally wrote to the company that owned the play and got written permission to change it to silver paint of which we were out.

Also, one has to be from Buena Vista County, Iowa, or a county in close proximity thereto in order to understand that the correct pronunciation is "Bew(rhymes with new)-nuh Vist(rhymes with list)-uh.
Originally Posted by VonGruff

Von Gruff.
It's spelled both ways ... and BTW correct has 2 RRs
beat me to it! cry
Well, at least it doesn't have that extra "u" thrown in between an "o" and an "r". grin
Spelling bee or post count?
I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly.

They do pronounce it correctly using 'english' english not the other version. smile

From Wiki
Aluminium or aluminum (American English)
j f - correctomundo.. I've never seen alumium grin spelled with 2 I s.

I have heard people say (seriously) alumium.
So. You all are saying the correct pronunciation for Lapua is aluminum. Unless you are in the England.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
When I was over there, they pronounced it "LOP-wa."

I asked the president of Valmet how to pronounce "Valmet." He said "VOLL-m't." (Rhymes with "doll mitt.")

Twain wrote "They spell it Da Vinci and pronounce it Da Vinchy. Foreigners always spell better than they pronounce." laugh

Dr. Ken,

In that tape, it seems to me the Brit was saying LOP-oo-wah. He seemed to be making three syllables out of it, rather than two, as in LOP-wa.

Do the natives make a two syllable word out of Lapua, or was the Brit just adding his touch...?

Those Brit can't speak English, must less Finnish or Swedish... shocked

DF

Lap-poo-a
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Lap-poo-a

That's the way we say it, not the way they say it. Their emphasis is on the "LOP" with the "oo" and "ah" following.

It's like Sako. We use the strong "a", they use an "ah".

It's their language, but what do they know... laugh

We'll call'em what we call'em, don't you know... shocked

DF
I never heard the "oo" over there. If it was there, it was very slight, very short, quite unnoticeable.

The "u" in Lapua, over there, was like (to my ear) like the "u" in persuade, which is certainly not "PER-soo-ade" any place where I've heard it.
Sako...another one of those funny Finn words. I do know my Sako shoots with Lapua brass quite well. laugh
And Sako is "SAH-ko," not "SOCK-oh." Or, if you will, "SAAAH-ko." It's sorta like the difference between we and whee or woe and whoa.
Imo, it is,,,,,,,,,,,,La-puu-aah
I'd expect you to pronounce it "liar".
A kid that I know insists it's "luh-poye". Course he also says "Hornaday" and talks about the "mil-dot retacticle" in his scope.
My buddy Bob Milek had a "hair of the dog" in his mouth just as a good ol' boy across the aisle said "That's a good clear scope, all right, but I don't like that rectal at all."

Nobody complained when Bob sprayed the aisle with good whiskey.
My buddy Bob Milek had a "hair of the dog" in his mouth just as a good ol' boy across the aisle said "That's a good clear scope, all right, but I don't like that rectal at all."

Nobody complained when Bob sprayed the aisle with good whiskey.

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Mr_Saw
A kid that I know insists it's "luh-poye". Course he also says "Hornaday" and talks about the "mil-dot retacticle" in his scope.

That must be Finnish Redneck... smile

DF
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'd expect you to pronounce it "liar".
...........And I expect that you`ll never tell me that to my face there iron bend-over. Another on line gutt-less wonder from behind a keyboard.
Here is one I never heard the proper pronunciation for. Schoenauer. Everytime I see one I just say mannlicher. I'm guessing sku-now-er?
I always said SHOW-now-er. Doesn't make it right.

DF
To sound the in Sch�nauer, pucker as if you're going to say "oh," but say a as in say, and you'll have it close. (The oe is the American substitute for the German .)

"Shaynauer" and "Shownauer" are common American near-misses. "Shernauer" is close to right.

Oehler is an Americanization of the German �hler, and my friend Ken's American pronunciation is AY-ler, not OH-ler.

Now go to work on G�ring! laugh
It's pronounced KWAL-ity.

Wurdz

When I woke up this morning, the weatherman on TV suggested that it would be foggish. This time of year it is caused by coolsified air floating over ground that is still warmly. The result of the two temperatures combinating, results in slight to moderate foggitivity.

When I arrived at work ce matin, coolsified air pulsations were puking out of the ventilation ductage, making my office coldly and somewhat uncomfortable. Since I was not the only one that was half frozen, we called the building maintenance guy to fix the furnace. It is now warmly.

I am looking forward to the summer with much invigoration.
Ah, the weather guys!

"Ten degrees" is never enough � gotta be "the ten-degree mark."

"Thundershowers" is never enough � gotta be "thundershower activity."

"New England" is never enough � gotta be "the New England area."

Inevitably, invariably

And the sports writers with their eternal scramble for cutesy-poo clich� substitutes for won, lost, and beat are just as wacky in their own ways.
Ken...how about this one..a pet peeve..

Kilimanjaro

From the Swahili...should be two words Kilima njaro...

but forget about that happening...
"flooding" (n) � faux high-falutin substitute for floods

signage � faux high-falutin substitute for signs

urban-rural interface � faux high-falutin substitute for the edge of town

shirtings � faux high-falutin substitute for shirts

(� and FWIW, falutin isn't a truncation of "faluting.")

Maux Faux Braux! laugh
Originally Posted by ingwe

Kilimanjaro

Here's another'n for you �

Mississippi = "the big river"

so

"the Mississippi River" = "the the big-river river"

� and for good measure �

"Alhambra" = "the red fortress"

so

"the Alhambra" = "the the red fortress"

No charge!

Enjoy! laugh
I love it! laugh
� and of course since PIN = personal identification number,

PIN number = personal identification number number

and

ATM machine = automatic-teller machine machine

Let's leave "rpms per minute" for another time.
I thought RPMs per minute was a term for acceleration, like meters per second per second, only for rotation. No? grin

I cannot be convinced that there is more than one correct pronunciation for words. I consider a certain pronunciation is either proper or improper, period. Of course, dialect plays a role in the sound that comes out, but the correct spelling does not change, hence the phonics do not change. Call me a relic, but that is the way I was taught in school in the sixties and seventies. If I spelled or pronounced a word incorrectly, I was wrong. That's the problem. Nobody wants to admit that they or anyone else might actually be wrong. It might hurt their feelings. Good grief!

At the gun store today the salesman told me he had a LEE-ka rangefinder to use along with my LEE-uh-pold scope on my SAY-ko rifle. I just smiled. Didn't want to hurt his feelings. ("sigh!")
You'd've chuckled at Walter Kerr's two-word review of the play "I Am a Camera" �

"No Leica."
— and of course since PIN = personal identification number,

PIN number = personal identification number number

and

ATM machine = automatic-teller machine machine

Let's leave "rpms per minute" for another time.
Sorta like the Sierra Nevada Mountains! wink
To sound the in Sch�nauer, pucker as if you're going to say "oh," but say a as in say, and you'll have it close. (The oe is the American substitute for the German .)

"Shaynauer" and "Shownauer" are common American near-misses. "Shernauer" is close to right.

Oehler is an Americanization of the German �hler, and my friend Ken's American pronunciation is AY-ler, not OH-ler.

Now go to work on G�ring! laugh

Thanks! That always bothered me. I am drawn to them, like a moth to a flame. Now i can't wait to correct everybody at the next gun show! wink

Kilimanjaro

Here's another'n for you �

so

� and for good measure �

so

No charge!

Enjoy! laugh

Much like "The La Brea Tar Pits" (in Los Angeles) -- the the tar tar pits..... grin
Yeah, and they pronounced "decades" with emphasis on the second syllable whereas in the U.S. the emphasis tends to be on the first. I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.

also check out how they pronounce the WW 1 battle of Ypres in Belgium.....

yeah for supposedly being considered so 'high class' by we Americans... they can pronounce certain words that make them sound like backwoods trailer trash...

our family ancestral Name from my mom's side that goes back to the first days of Virginia 17 generations ago , was Meadows...however, there are tons of them, that spelled it closer to how they pronounced it.. Meadors...

I can see La Poo Ah, being pronounced as LapWa in Finland..
It's KILOmeter, not ka-LOM-meter.

You'll (never) hear someone say ka-LOG-ram for KILOgram.

wink
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Kilimanjaro

Here's another'n for you —

so

— and for good measure —

so

No charge!

Enjoy! laugh

Much like "The La Brea Tar Pits" (in Los Angeles) -- the the tar tar pits..... grin

Isn't that where they get tar tar sauce? whistle

Camouflage; my mother insists it's pronounced "commo-flage"
� and there are those who go beyond the merely correct to be extra correct, who mispronounce cache (properly "cash," a hiding place or hidden collection) as if it were "cash-ay."

Cachet ("cashay") is another word entirely, with an entirely different meaning � an official seal.
So a cash of cash is said correctly, just spelt wrong - that's me!
My peeve is those who pronounce "nuclear" as "nu-cu-lar."

As for Lapua, the high power match shooters say, "La-POO-wah."
can we trust the pronounciation in the video after the announcer says d'Kades instead of good old fashoioned deck ades ?
FWIW, the Random House unabridged pronouncing dictionary on my hard drive renders decade "DECK-AID," with equal emphasis on both sillybobbables.
There is a lot of cachet in having an attractive cache, but it takes a lot of cash.
A resident of Prague was wakened by a frantic pounding at his door. Upon answering it, he found his neighbor who begged him to hide him from the thugs that were looking for him. He allowed him to take refuge in a small cupboard beneath his stairs, thereby establishing a policy of caching Czechs.
Nice!
© 24hourcampfire