Home
Posted By: powdr Which 300 H&H? - 06/21/12
I have never been a 30 fan and have no such cartridge in my arsenal but I am in the process of looking for a 300 H&H. I know the pre '64 Winchester is the most sought after but realize the Rem.721 and the XTR by Winchester was also made. Can you guys give your opinion of the cartridge and some comments about availability and price of shooter grade rifles. I know ammo is somewhat limited but I handload so that is not a problem. Help me out here guys because I think this is an itch that I'm going to have to scratch. Pure nostalgia here guys so no 300 Winchester salesmen. powdr
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/21/12
To me the pre-64 is the 300H&H. Mine is a '55 standard grade. The 721 is OK but not up to the Model 70. No issues with funtcion etc, but to me not in the same league. Prices will reflect that as well. Handloadling is the way to go. Very flexiable round. Use new brass or brass fired in your rifle neck size vice full lenght and brass will last much longer. Buy brass when it is available seasonal poduction.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/21/12
Just bought a 1968 vintage Sako L61R Deluxe, .300H&H, looking forward to shooting it.
Posted By: djs Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/21/12
For some reason, I am attracted to the Remington 721 - simple, elegant and strong! I also like the Sako L61 series.

And, this is from a life long M70 fan.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I had a Remington 71 in 300 H&H for awhile; cheapest way into the H&H, really. I paid $350 for mine and it was in pretty good shape. The Win M70 XTR's did not have a 26" barrel, the Rem 721's did. Combine that with the fact that the 721's are cheaper than the XTR's, typically, and it's a no-brainer. If you're on a budget for this project, seek out a Rem 721.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
The .300 H&H has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the .300 WSM, which helps a lot in handloading as data for newer powders is often packing for the .300 H&H. It's safe to start with .300 WSM data.

The H&H also does exactly the same things as the .300 WSM in the field, working great on anything from pronghorns on up. I've owned three and hunted with an Echols Legend as well. It's a great round, and very accurate in a good rifle, despite the BS heard about the long belted case.

The ammo and brass situation is actually pretty good these days. Remington and Winchester no longer list brass on their websites, but I still see it show up from time to time. Hornady, Norma and Nosler all offer brass, and it's all good, if somewhat pricey. Hornady's is the most "affordable."

There are always rumors of case stretching and separation in the H&H, but if you adjust the sizing die to barely touch the shoulder, I've found case life to be quite good.

I finally ended up with the pre'64 I always really wanted, a rifle in decent shape but not too nice to take hunting. Picked it up for $1100, as I recall, from the Campfire classifieds. A lot of "asking" prices are higher, but a little patience helps a lot. The price of 721's is rising, but still a few hundred bucks under that of Model 70's.

Posted By: KDK Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I had a Remington 71 in 300 H&H for awhile; cheapest way into the H&H, really. I paid $350 for mine and it was in pretty good shape. The Win M70 XTR's did not have a 26" barrel, the Rem 721's did. Combine that with the fact that the 721's are cheaper than the XTR's, typically, and it's a no-brainer. If you're on a budget for this project, seek out a Rem 721.

My 721 has a 24" barrel.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
If you're inclined at all toward a single shot, the Ruger #1S is a dandy for this cartridge. I love mine...just a thought.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
give your opinion of the cartridge and some comments about availability and price of shooter grade rifles.

There's nothing wrong with the .300 H&H.....but it's a less practical round than a .300 Win Mag....

My Rem 721 is a great shooter and functions superbly.....I'm very happy with it...

I bought my Rem 721 for $265 a few years ago.....you won't find any more like it at that price however....I did restock it as the original stock is not good for scope use...

If you're dead set on a .300 H&H I'd suggest the XLT if you can find one...
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Oregon45

My 721 has a 24" barrel.

http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/bolt-action/model-721.aspx

Remington made them in both lengths; mine was a 26".
Posted By: mart Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I've been hunting with a 300 H&H for over 20 years now and love the cartridge. My first one was a 721 Remington. I dolled it up with a 700 Classic take off stock and 700 floor plate and even put on an ebony forend tip. It was a great shooter and really introduced me to the round. My current one is a left handed Remington 700 KS Mountain Rifle, also a great shooter. I sold the 721 to a friend when I ordered the KS. I've taken mule deer, whitetails, elk and coyotes with both of mine and carried it on several sheep camping trips. I have never felt handicapped with the H&H as opposed to any of the other magnum rounds.

One friend wanted to run his 300 Weatherby reamer into my KS to "help" me out. I declined the offer because of the nostalgic itch the 300 H&H scratches. Most of my rifles are around for that reason. I love the classic cartridges. You won't regret getting the old 300. Good luck

Mart
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Mart,

Good choice on bypassing the .300 Weatherby ream-job!

When loaded to the same pressure with 180's, the .300 Wby. only gets about 120 fps more than the H&H. Most loading or factory ammo data doesn't show this because the H&H is loaded to much lower pressures, for no reason except that it's "old."
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
When looking at a 300H&H many many were modified, to some improved 300 Magnum. Many were not marked. Buyer beware. The rifle sale that I really regret is a Sako AV L61R in 6.5X55 have not seen one in 300H&H, would LOVE to find one of those. Might even make me consider selling my pre-64..
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Here's a couple of shots of my recent 300H&H addition:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by powdr
I have never been a 30 fan and have no such cartridge in my arsenal but I am in the process of looking for a 300 H&H. I know the pre '64 Winchester is the most sought after but realize the Rem.721 and the XTR by Winchester was also made. Can you guys give your opinion of the cartridge and some comments about availability and price of shooter grade rifles. I know ammo is somewhat limited but I handload so that is not a problem. Help me out here guys because I think this is an itch that I'm going to have to scratch. Pure nostalgia here guys so no 300 Winchester salesmen. powdr

Ok, since it's "pure nostalgia" why even ask the question? For this reason I'd opt for the pre 64 model 70 and not even look back or blink an eye.....
That one is a great. Seeing all of the Sako items. Wonderful find.
Posted By: Deans Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Mine is a Browning Safari. The original barrel (300 H&H) my Dad
rechambered to 300 Weatherby. As I don't care for 300 Weatherby I replaced the barrel with a Shilen back to the origianl 300 H&H. Had Tip Burns at Canyon Sporting Arms put the original steps on the new barrel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Great looking Safari. I love those FN Brownings.

And that is a beautiful Sako too. Great find.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
A couple of weeks ago on GB there was a pre-64 M70 in 300H&H
that was in pretty rough condition with a buy it now for $1100 Im sure it sold fast.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I have a #1 in 300 H&H and it is quite nice and very accurate, putting 180s into 1" or less. It's going to RSA with me next year.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Nice rifles Men, I looked long and hard and found a 1949 model 70 Winchester SG in 300 H&H, it is the smoothest and most accurate factory rifle I have ever fired.

Too heavy by most standards with it's old steel tube Weaver 4-12X40 AO scope, but that bothers me none, I'm thoroughly convinced I could stir my coffee with the bolt out of this rifle and sweeten it a bit. blush laugh

Gunner
There is really something about how a pre-64 Mdeol 70 in 300H&H feeds a round. It is indeed something special..
Posted By: 429CJMach1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I would start the list with the 700 Classic in 300 H&H, I like the Ruger #1 in 300 H&H and it has a 26 inch barrel. I have a PF XTR in 300 H&H and there is no way it is going anywhere!
Andy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I had a PF Model 70 as well...easily one of the most accurate factory rifles Ive ever seen....my fave for elk....
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
If your going to handload then the 300 Win. Mag. is a better round as you can headspace it on it's shoulder and can't with the 300 H&H.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I clicked on that post expecting sheer profundity..

And was not dissappointed...
Savage 99
If you know how to reload then neck sizing should not be an issue. The H&H cartridges are indeed one of the few that actually space off the belt but it is not hard to do.
Feeling crancky tonight LOL. What do you do with those Savage Rimmed rounds? Headspace off the rim or the shoulder?
Sorry, that was a loaded question.. The 300WM has won the sales issue. Until one gets into heavy bullets. 200, 220 then the 300H&H will shine. Of course very few go there. In 300's that is the extreme end of the spectrum.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Have owned many Winchester's chambered for the H&H and the XTR's in push feed are by far and away the best shooters.
P.S. I am far and away a pre-64 man to the core.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Deans.....I like how you had that barrel taper copied. I would expect that it's a shooting mofo.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
If your going to handload then the 300 Win. Mag. is a better round as you can headspace it on it's shoulder and can't with the 300 H&H.

whatcho talkin bout willis?

Gunner
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Gunner: Ignore, Swampman Redux....
LOL, 10-Roger Jorge. laugh

Gunner
Posted By: Jericho Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
I have handled a couple of M70XTRs in this caliber and I would
rather have a pre-64. The XTRs arent easy to find either, there is one on GB and Im sure it will sell pretty high.
Posted By: powdr Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Thanks for all of the experience guys.Tried to rip JB's 300 H&H from his hands but he put up quite a fight and left me whooped. For some of you other guys the nostalgia is not tied to the gun type but the cartridge. Was surprised to hear that Sako and Browning had also chambered the cartridge plus the Remington Classic, which I forgot about entirely. Keep the opinions and ideas coming. powdr
Posted By: JGray Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
A number of years back, I decided I needed a pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H. A good friend of mine's father had just passed away and there was one in his collection that appeared new/unfired. As they were selling off the majority of his collection, I tried to get them to sell it to me, but they decided that one should stay in the family, rightfully so. I kept an eye out locally for about three years before I found one. The stock has a couple of dark stains where the finish has worn off which I assume is water damage. It has a non-factory recoil pad and was missing the front sight hood which wasn't hard to find a replacement. The metal is in very good shape and I happily gave $1,000 for it. Interestingly, I was out hunting with another friend right after I bought it and when he saw it, he recognized it and claimed that his Dad used to own it which I thought was pretty cool.

Of course, then I had to have one in a Ruger No. 1S when they came available...
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by djs
For some reason, I am attracted to the Remington 721 - simple, elegant and strong! I also like the Sako L61 series.

And, this is from a life long M70 fan.

721 and 722's are great guns
Posted By: powdr Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/23/12
Thanks guys I've decided to try and get a pre'64 for around a $1000 if I can.Maybe one w/pad added or something that needs to be refinished. Thanks again guys. powdr
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/23/12
Refinished, recoil pad, iron sites gone, and cut stock are the common issues. Just be sure it has not been rechambered to some improved round and not marked.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by powdr
Thanks guys I've decided to try and get a pre'64 for around a $1000 if I can.Maybe one w/pad added or something that needs to be refinished. Thanks again guys. powdr

I salvaged a pre-64 which was destined for spear-making material, a featherweight at that. It now exists as a 340 Weatherby. It really is a shame it couldn't be salvaged in its original configuration. I didn't realize what a classic it started out as until years later. Ironically, the first critter it whacked in the 340 configuration was shot while in the company of a 721 in 300 H&H. That's another rather classic H&H variation on the same theme IMO.
Posted By: Marlin1895 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
700 Classic .300 H&H is a nice rifle. 24" barrel. I bought one used, but in nice condition. It shot 180-gr Ballistic Tips well (MOA) right away. Cannot recall, but think I used IMR 4350 with those BT's

I thought it might like 180-gr Partitions over the same charge. Groups were OK (1.5" or so), but I played around and found it would shoot better with 200-gr Partitions over a max charge of H4831. Even that load shot 1.5" with the Win 120 primers that I tend to use for everything. It tightened to MOA with Federal 215 and 215M primers - same group sizes with both standard and match primers (I did not go back and try the 215's with the 180-gr P's). I have never hunted elk, but I imagine the 200-gr Partition load would do.

Throat is a little long in that rifle. Loads that fit the magazine will not reach the lands. Still, it is accurate enough for many hunting jobs.

I have another 700 Classic in .25-06. It shoots under MOA (3-shot groups) with a few different bullets over same charges of H4831. I tried Speer, Nosler, and Sierra in the 117 - 120-gr range. They shoot to nearly the same POI, and a little fingernail will cover most 3-shot groups (100 yards).

My sample of two 700 Classics shoot well, and I like the stock design. Both have 24" barrels. If 24" barrel does not satisfy, then I guess a 700 or other model could be re-barreled, to 26" or so and shoot well.
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
My 300 is a 721 26" barrel. I replaced the stock with a repainted by me 700 tupperware stock and BDL floorplate. It will regularly with no effort place 180 BT's with the holes touching using IMR4831. My wife is going to bury me with it!
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
You just want to hope it doesn't die before you do! eek

Jim
Posted By: Jericho Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Did Remington ever offer the .300H&H in the 700BDL or 700ADL?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by ingwe

Neither was I.

From the 26" barrels of the M70's I've gotten about 3050-3080 with the 180 gr and about 3150 with the 165's. The old H&H is a great cartridge.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Neither was I.....and certainly not surprised either.Especially amusing when the OP said...."No 300 Win Mag comparisons, please",................but I guess some can't resist. grin

The contention (that the 300 WM is the better round cause it headspaces on the shoulder) is Bullshidt.Just more Internet nonsense.

From the 26" barrels of the M70's I've gotten about 3050-3080 with the 180 gr and about 3150 with the 165's. The old H&H is a great cartridge.

+1....Great post....I'd take the slick feeding H&H over the short necked sob any day....You tell them Bob......
Posted By: ingwe Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Besides..the .300H&H is just flat drop dead sexy... grin
Just like the Mauser has so much more classy pizazz than the -08 version of the .284 slingers. grin (My LSS Mountain, a 28-08, is the nicest lam stocked rifle I've owned; just wish it said Mauser instead.)
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Just like the Mauser has so much more classy pizazz than the -08 version of the .284 slingers. grin (My LSS Mountain, a 28-08, is the nicest lam stocked rifle I've owned; just wish it said Mauser instead.)

Damn straight, I think you need this rifle:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Wyoming-Armory-Custom-FN-Mauser-7x57-Mauser.cfm?gun_id=100259321
Posted By: pacecars Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
How about this one for the ultimate modern classic?
http://www.hollandandholland.com/gun_single.php?i=337&l=new_york&v=new&c=
Posted By: GuyM Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
[Linked Image]

.300 H&H Number One Medium Sporter - very nice!
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12

Me Neither! smile

Why is it that when someone asks a specific question, that ALWAYS someone else tries to push their own aganda? I mean, for Goodness Sakes, each person has their own right to their own choices... And everyone should have the right to follow their own dream! Whether THEIR dream is right or not for someone else, is totally immaterial!

After all, the OP specifically stated in his post that he was NOT interested in the .300 Win. Thus the subject should NEVER have even come up!

OK, rant off.... blush
Posted By: ingwe Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by GuyM
[Linked Image]

Sexiest factory rifle in production. period.
[Linked Image]

You're thinking everything is sexy around here lately whistle.......

I'll add the pre 64 model 70 that I shot was so sexy it would make your head spin......It was so slick feeding and it shot lights out. It would almost keep up with my 300 wsm for about 4 shots....after that the groups started falling apart (but hey that's why most of us shoot 3 shot groups with our magnums).....I was shooting and bs'n with a guy at the range one night and he was set up at 160 yards. At 160 yards he was still turning in 1" 3 shot groups with his which absolutely amazed me.......He was running his "elk load" which consisted of 180 partitions to boot......He said he'd never part with that rifle and I don't blame him. My vote goes to the pre 64 model 70....
[Linked Image]

And I'd probably be a happier man owning less #1s if that one became part of the fold in the deal.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

You're thinking everything is sexy around here lately whistle.......

It's a drug interaction between the "T" therapy and Viagra. You see it all the time with the old farts around here.............

Posted By: Arac Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
I did something stupid. The LGS had a pre-64 in .300 H&H. It was in great shape...except that the bolt handle had been ground for scope clearance. It was very, very nice and original other than that though. They wanted $1000. I went back 3x, thinking, "Do I want it?". Finally I realized that yes, I do want it. Any guesses on what happened to the rifle 1 hour before I went back to buy it?
Originally Posted by Arac
I did something stupid. The LGS had a pre-64 in .300 H&H. It was in great shape...except that the bolt handle had been ground for scope clearance. It was very, very nice and original other than that though. They wanted $1000. I went back 3x, thinking, "Do I want it?". Finally I realized that yes, I do want it. Any guesses on what happened to the rifle 1 hour before I went back to buy it?

Ouch.... eek
Posted By: raybass Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
cry I hate it when that happens.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
[Linked Image]

I could damn sure see me forkin' over some paper and ink for a #1 so chambered, if I ever see one with nice stocks, it's a done deal, damn those are nice, and would also most likely make a nice stable mate for my little #1V in 220 Swift.

Gunner
You know that chit happens to all of us every once in a while. I had a line on a 1963 model 70 (pre 64 of course) chambered in 300 win mag at the lowly ol small town gunshow I go to in washington every other month....This particular pre 64 300 winny was in great shape but had an aftermarket stock on it. I really didnt' give chit after the guy told me he'd take $350.00 for it. I told him I'd take it if he'd hold on to it for me and he agreed. I told him I'd have to run across the river to get the money at the bank and I'd be an hour........got back and the sob told me he sold it. I was so pissed mad.......I feel for the guy that thought and thought and finally made up his mind because I've been there too. A couple of years ago I ran into a nice remington mountain rifle chambered in 270 for $350.00. I thought about that rifle and thought about it and decided I'd go and buy it after not getting sleep over it. I went back to the gunshop and it was of course gone. Sold that morning. The gunshop owner said he raised the price too becuase "he didn't know what he had", someone told him he could sell it for much more than $350.00... I guess a guy came in and gave him $500.00 for it....which was still a bargain....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Those are nice. I like the wood on that one.

It would make a nice stable mate to my .220S.

DF

Top one in photo.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yes Sir it would, were gonna have to meet up for a show and tell blast 'em up shoot one of these days. smile

Gunner

edit: spelling
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Gunner,

Our interests in guns seems to be very similar.

DF

Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
I had two Pre-64 300 H&H's until my brother back east(and a good buddy of BobinNH's)talked me out of one that is all factory original and in excellent condition.
The rifle I kept for myself, I found pretty reasonably, because someone had rechambered it for a .300Roy, which most of the rechambered 70 300 H&H's are IME.
I had an extra minty pre-war 300 H&H barrel take-off barrel here at the time so, the Roy barrel came off and the pre-war 300H&H barrel went on my '55 action. It is a very accurate rifle.
Based on what I have seen at gun shows and gun shops in my part of the country over the last several years, there seems to be less and less magnum action 70's out there, original or rechambered. A couple of my gun buddies were recently telling me that they both knew of custom smiths willing to pay upwards of $1000 just for a complete original magnum action. I've never had any reason to doubt the veracity of their comments, but that one surprised me a little. If thats indeed the case, finding a $1000 Mdl.70 in 300H&H in decent shape may be a bit of a challenge.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner,

Our interests in guns seems to be very similar.

DF

And smokin' 2000+ lb. game animals grin, I gotta quit workin' so dang much and get this show on the road. wink

Gunner
Posted By: xzqvvh Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
I have shot several hundred 300 H&H ammo in my 300 Wby rifles. I liked the way that it fed so smooth and it did not matter if I used 130 gr , 150 gr or 180 gr loads they all shot very nice. I still have 20 un fired Norma 300 H&H brass that I will one day shoot again. Also I was in a gun shop in Alb. NM back in the early 80's that always gets pre 64 model 70's. That day they had a well used hunting rifle low comb stock all pretty much std model 70 but it had a factory installed 26" light target taper barrel on it. It was priced at about 600.00 that was more than I could afford, it looked like it would have been a nice rifle to own. Randy
Posted By: Jericho Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/24/12
Collectors Firearms in Houston, TX has a Cooper in .300H&H for
sale right now.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
I had two Pre-64 300 H&H's until my brother back east(and a good buddy of BobinNH's)talked me out of one that is all factory original and in excellent condition.

Blackdog I got a phone call from Bro and he wants us to do a range session this week with your rifle. smile

I hope he has plenty of ammo!
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/25/12

Blackdog I got a phone call from Bro and he wants us to do a range session this week with your rifle. smile

I hope he has plenty of ammo!

Me too, While talking to him last night I mentioned to him he might seriously consider some press handle time... whistle I have a hunch you guys are going to be having way too much fun squirting a bunch of copper and lead grin
Have a great time,
BD
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/27/12
Uh....yeah! I asked him does he have any handloads for it? (He asked me do I have dies for it,which I don't anymore).

He has no handloads....WTF is up with that!? grin
Posted By: Tackleman Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/27/12
Got real stupid this past winter and sold my #1 s 300H&H at a gun show. What the hell was I thinking.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/27/12
This is not a good thread for me. I'm trying to convince myself that I do not need another ruger no1.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/27/12
Originally Posted by Tackleman
Got real stupid this past winter and sold my #1 s 300H&H at a gun show. What the hell was I thinking.

Probably that you needed a more accurate bolt rifle instead.... whistle
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/27/12
Dunno about that. My No. 1 .300 H&H shot as well as most bolt rifles. In fact that's been my experience with most No. 1's made in the past 20 years, since Ruger started making their own barrels.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/27/12
Just about any rifle can be made to be accurate...Slap a 4x leupy on that baby and shoot 1,000 yard comps with it.... whistle
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/28/12
Uh....yeah! I asked him does he have any handloads for it? (He asked me do I have dies for it,which I don't anymore).

He has no handloads....WTF is up with that!? grin

Uh...yeah!!! WTF is up with that? grin
I just can't get my mind around why a guy with a crispy Pre in 300H&H has no ammo.....Philistine laugh
Joking aside, I understand Roaches is no more, I hope you guys aren't going to have to cast too wide a loop to find some of that fancy, high dollar, factory box stuff......
BTW, he didn't mention to me that he didn't have dies....
Best,
BD
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/28/12
Haha! grin
"CARE" package??????? I don't like to see my buddy's go without.
BAD JUJU!!!!!!! just sayin... wink
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno about that. My No. 1 .300 H&H shot as well as most bolt rifles. In fact that's been my experience with most No. 1's made in the past 20 years, since Ruger started making their own barrels.

John,
Did you need to do the forend hanger block repair to it or are they just better now?
Posted By: wwy Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/28/12
Black Dog,
I'm not John, but my new No 1 in 300 HH shoots bt's under 1/2" and accubonds, npt, and e-tips under an inch with no modifications or adjustments to the gun and very little load development.
Thanks for letting me know, there were some troubles with them then, It'd good to know that Ruger resolved the problems.
Congrats on having such a stellar shooting 300H&H!
I bet you are really enjoying it and the cartridge,...
Best,
BD
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/28/12
Blackdog1,

I haven't done a hanger modification on any No. 1 made in the last 20 years. Have probably owned 12-15 made since then, and about half shoot right out of the box. On the other half all I've done is epoxy-bed the "hump" in the front of the forend.
That's what I did with the .300 H&H, and it shot 180 Ballistic Tips well under an inch.

Along with the barrels, Ruger has also shortened up the throats in many chamberings.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/28/12
Back when I was chasing rifles, I had one each M70 and Browning Safari in .300 H&H. Both were really nice. Took a nice profit on the Safari (long extractor, pre salt) and a huge profit on the M70.
Kids in college at the time on the dad and mom scholarship (plus their own jobs) plans. Wish I still had one or the other, but we made a good investment. jack
John,
Thanks for the insight, It's good to know that the hangar modification to improve accuracy is a thing of the past, I remember all to well the problems a lot of fellas were having back then and who was supplying Ruger barrels at the time. I have always felt that a good looking, strong, and solid falling block action was, at the time, unfortunately, crippled by poor barrels. I haven't had a 300H&H in the #1 yet, but, I did have a older 7x57 in a #1-A... long throated.... would be a kind and gentle way of putting it.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/28/12
"CARE" package???????

Thanks but we're good to go...he has some Nosler ammo....I was right on front of RCBS dies for it and offered to grab them;but he wanted Redding,so I think he prdered them.

Should not have dumped my 300H&H stuff.....what if I see one I want? eek

I always wanted a #1 in 7x57. frown
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/29/12
MuleDeer,
curious to hear that your 300 Holland is a Winchester. I read that you prefer the gas handling of the Mauser or Remington action. Is the past use of the older 70's by others a factor in the choice or a personal story? Living in the land of some cool old gun makers I buy stuff because it was made where I grew up, but others have different reasons.
Do you load for it with any special precautions because it is not a Mauser type action? I do know you are not a "Hot Rodder" when it comes to reloads and pressure.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bob
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/29/12

Nothing feeds smoother thant a pre-64 M-70 chambered in 300 or 375 H&H
Posted By: ArthurOlds Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/30/12
Posted this in the Winchester group, too. I have a 1957 300 H&H. Good shooter as well. Any idea how much value is lost due to a polished bolt handle and the action polished as well (not dished out!). % is OK. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Arthur Olds
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Which 300 H&H? - 06/30/12
Bob B257,

I just use pretty new brass, and inspect it thoroughly. And no, I'm not a hot-rodder. It's easy to get 3000 fps with a 180 out of the 26" barrel, which in my experience kills stuff pretty well.

I wanted a pre--'64 because that was the original American rifle in .300 H&H. It's not the greatest action ever made, but when used sanely it works fine. I've had a number of pre-'64's over the years, and have another right now, a Featherweight .30-06, another I always wanted. But I have far more Mauser-actioned big game rifles, and consider the 98 a superior action.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Which 300 H&H? - 07/01/12
Thats what I thought and it has made me consider the move to send a 1963 308 featherweight down the road to finance other projects. The rifle has some history in my local club and is a nice one, but I have a functional, duplicate, push feed that is a few years newer and it works just as well.

Choices, choices.

© 24hourcampfire