Home
[Linked Image]

I've always been an ardent fan of the 1911, but in the grand scheme of things, only one handgun has ever stolen my heart. I simply cannot imagine not having one close by. At the same time, this particular example isn't my favorite. That would have to be one of the 1960s versions with the beautiful bluing S&W was famous for back when this pistol came with a wooden box, screw driver and barrel swab.

The 29 trumps them all in my opinion. But it's just an opinion. Still, having owned several Pythons, I give the edge to S&W.
I own a pocketable 380, a Ruger 22 and a S&W 686 in 357. The 357 is the only one I really like.
I own an embarrassing number of handguns, but the N-frames are my favorite.
Owned a bunch of Ks over the years, but the Ns always seemed like they were built for business.

Dan
I've got more N-frames than any other handgun so I wouldn't argue. A four inch 29 or 57 might be my favorite revolver!

That said, I picked up a four inch 586 "sock drawer special" (not shot, carried or cleaned much) that may be MY favorite 357.
I'm not a snob, but many years ago I simply did away with all my .357 stuff. I have one .38 snub and a couple 9mms, but everything else that isn't a .22lr starts with .4 and goes up from there. Back when I used to ride around in a squad car, the .357 ruled the roost and I carried various makes and models, but when those days were over, the guns sort of ended up moving on while the larger bores kept my interest. I didn't need the .44 Magnum loads and truth be told, I seldom shoot them. I just like loading up a few hundred and launching them.

It has to be a Colt SAA. I have always loved the look of them from the time I was a kid. After I held my first one, I knew I had to own one. Dozens of SAA's later I have seven now, how many more in the future, I don't know...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Well guys - - this is an edited version.

1. Give me an F in failing to give my FAVORITE OF ALL TIME.

2. In 44s - My preference is the Ruger Redhawk/Super R. -- Only because the top strap is THICKER. I can't tell if has a harder treatment or not.

3. IF you're going to shoot a 44 A LOT, there will be cutting on the underside of the top strap. The Reds & Super Rs at least have a thicker top strap and it'll take longer to see a possible problem. One more thing, I don't want ANY LONGER than 7 1/2' blls on them.

**** I've had many varied 44s and liked them all. ****

I never owned a Python but always wanted one.

Skeeter turned me toward the 27s and for very good reasons.

However MY fav is the 19 SS w/Rubber (or whatever it's no. designation). Can't help myself.
This is for every day carry & shoot when necessary.

My fav for concealed carry & personal defense is 6906.

**** I CAN NOT pick 1 as my all time favorite, Sorry.****

Y'all have a GOOD day.
Jerry
4" N-Frame for me as well.

Although, a five shooter L Frame in .44 Special is nippin' on the heels.

Travis
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Love those SAAs too. Owned a few of them. Still have a Cimarron .44 Special that keeps me company when I'm typing away on a new western.
Blackhawks for me.
While not a gunwriter... I would have to ask, For What.

In different venues I have different favorites.

Can�t name just one.

Guess that is why I�m not a Gun Writer� That and the fact I can�t write, Sorry

Snake

I still love you snake.

Travis
Tough for me to pick one from what I own but my Bowen Nimrod 500 L and Harton 41 Special Single Six are two that come to mind. They are just plain fun to shoot. For a close to factory piece it would be my 5" N-frame 44 Mag and 45 Colt.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mine is a certain 1957 6" 4-screw M17.
S&W 629 6" - just like the one in your picture.
Hotload

Actually, the photo is a nickled 29-2, but I can't fault your choice.

Dan
I would have to point to the stainless steel 5-1/2" barreled version of the Super Blackhawk as my favorite. It just looks and feels "right."

Among DA revolvers, 5-1/2" barreled Redhawk or possibly an 8" barreled Python. Different niches, hard to compare. Semi-autos ... Kimber Pro-Carry II stainless steel. .22s ... Ruger Mk II 10" for semi-auto and Single six 4-5/8" for SA revolvers, 6" K frame for DA.
Toss up between a 4 inch Model 19 and a 6 inch 57.
The four screw S&W N frame revolved, followed closely by S&W P&R of '70s vintage. I personally believe the Model 57 (no dash) is the holy grail.

Good argument for the Colt SAA, but that's the only Colt that comes close.
Hey Guys -

I want to sincerely apologize for the poor wording of my 1st post. I really wish I had taken more time to word it CORRECTLY.

I have edited it to be specific and NOT offensive to anyone.

I would NOT blame you ALL if you lambasted me.

I can NOT pick 1 as my fav of all.

SORRY AGAIN
Jerry
It would have to be the K-22 for me
Since I don't own many pistols, I would have to say my Colt Woodsman is my favorite.
[Linked Image]
my 10 5/8" barrel model 29 has been on more hunts than I can count and always has been both totally dependable and more than up to any task I tried, its almost always loaded with 300 grain hard cast gas check bullets ,cast from 95% wheel weights and 5% pure tin, over 21 grains of H110, but obviously its a shoulder holster only hunting revolver, and my eyes limit reasonably exact shot placement to under about 150 yards
I'm with Bill Jordan.
i loved the old H&K P9S...
Glock 19

Favorite manufactured handgun, or can it be one of my customs??
First love: Original Belgium Browning Hipower 9mm,

Second love: Colt Delta Elite 10mm, what is not too like.

Ruger single six convertible .22Lr, .22mag, had one for 24 years

Blackhawk 5 1/2" or 7 1/2" in .45 Colt, off and on for fifteen years

1911 Kimber full sized Government TLE II Stainless, .45 acp ofcourse Love, Love, Love this one.

So far plastic/polymer and black leave me cold and yawning. They have their purposes, just not for me. If I had to pick one of these SIG 229 in .357 sig, or XDM 5.5" in .45 acp.

Current mistress.....

S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt, Herrett grips in Cocobolo.

My old Colt SAA in 45 Colt, those 255 rnfp's @955 are pure sweetness to shoot.

No leading and dead on to the sights. wink

Gunner
You guys are gonna think (or know) that I'm a cretan but for me believe it or not its my Walther 3.4" P22. It goes pretty much everywhere with me and with birdshot and or Yellowhackets it's done some really cool stuff for me.

I have a Tortilla from El Paso Saddlery to tote in it.

One hella kool gun! (4 me...grin)

Dober
blackhawk
Impossible for me to pick just one so here they are by caliber:
44 Mag.- 7.5" stainless Redhawk
357 Mag. - 4" stainless S&W 686
9mm - Glock 19
7mm-08 - 15" T/C Encore
.22 - S&W Mod. 2206TGT
It's a recent addition for me, but it does everything I want a centerfire handgun to do.

S&W M624, 4" 44spl:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I would have to point to the stainless steel 5-1/2" barreled version of the Super Blackhawk as my favorite. It just looks and feels "right."

Dead on sir!
Mine is the 6 inch Colt Diamond Back 22 LR, I could hit squirrels with it almost as far as I could with a rifle. The Rolls Royce of handguns in my opinion.
S&W K frame that was my Father's carry weapon for 23 years, but honestly I bought a 92F that fired well over 6000 rds flawlessly while I owned it.
This one gives me Comfort and Serenity, except when hunting.

[Linked Image]

She and her 16 friends. smile

** Sorry tried 2x to rotate.**
Ruger Security Six for me.
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
[Linked Image]

I've always been an ardent fan of the 1911, but in the grand scheme of things, only one handgun has ever stolen my heart. I simply cannot imagine not having one close by. At the same time, this particular example isn't my favorite. That would have to be one of the 1960s versions with the beautiful bluing S&W was famous for back when this pistol came with a wooden box, screw driver and barrel swab.

The 29 trumps them all in my opinion. But it's just an opinion. Still, having owned several Pythons, I give the edge to S&W.

I wore out a 29 just like that when I was a kid......I like the 3rd gen smiths better......like say the 4506 and 4006...but that's just me.... whistle
10 5/8" silhouette model for me. Bought it new in 82 or 83.Scary accurate.
My favorite by far is my current 4" 629. Its not perfect, its a -6 and I wanted a -4 but something about the 4" N-frame seems just about right for semi-heavy loads and packing.

I'm not a writer, and have not been around firearms as much as others here but the 4" N-frame 44 Magnum is just magical in my opinion. Plenty of power for what I need, easy to load down for plinking, and not as clunky as a RH or SRH. The 4" RH just feels clumsy in my opinion compared to the 4" N-frame, but the double action trigger is pretty dang nice.

Everytime I think about the 629 it brings a smile to my face. And it might be my favorite firearm of all-time. Just recently I've re-read my 29/629 and 44 mag articles and the 4" N-frame gets mentioned a lot for being the finest "packable" 44 Mag. I can't agree more. I also thought I read that Elmer Keith and John Linebaugh both carried/carry 4" N-frames for everyday use.

For some reason, I just didn't click with the 4-5/8" SBH, and as much as I wanted to fall in love with the 45 Colt I just didn't click with 5-1/2" Bisley either. Had a couple of 45 N-frame and never cared for them.

I like bottom feeders too, but carry an SP101 concealed. If I could only have one handgun it would be the 4" 629.
Originally Posted by deflave
4" N-Frame for me as well.

Although, a five shooter L Frame in .44 Special is nippin' on the heels.

Travis

Oh how I wish I woulda bought a 696 "no dash" when they were still affordable...or even a 296...
6 inch Python. In the 35 or so years that I have owned and lovingly abused it I have worn two sets of factory grips smooth.

I'm not surprised there is so much love for the 4-inch Smith 29. I really like my 4-inch 29-2. One of the traits that is so endearing is the balance. It sits really well in the hand. For precision accuracy and pure power a longer barreled gun takes the prize, but that 4-inch Smith is special in it's own way. I rarely, if ever, shoot full house magnum rounds in mine, and it is as tight as the day it was made.

When I want pinpoint accuracy for hunting I bring out the Rugers. One is a 7-1/2" barreled Bisley that is factory stock except for the grip panels and trigger work. With it I have killed rabbits at 40+ yards, and one time I put a 300gr Sierra SP right between the lookers of a deer at 30+ yards. Blew her mind. grin

My other Ruger centerfire, and possibly my mostest favoritest, is a 4-5/8" Blackhawk 45 that I converted to [mostly] Bisley configuration with a Bisley bottom grip frame and a pair of Eagle stag grip panels. I say "mostly" because I left the original Blackhawk hammer in it instead of switching to the Bisley hammer with it's lower spur. It shoots really well too now that the chamber throats are reamed to the correct size.

My Mo.41.Shoots way better than I can.
I think my favorite was my Ruger Single Six. mine was stolen Last year and I definitly pln to replace it
I have always loved Colt SAA's and something about those Freedom Arms guns I love as well.
6" Colt Python hands down.

Yeah, the Python is definitely a slick snake.

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have always loved Colt SAA's and something about those Freedom Arms guns I love as well.

I think the Freedom Arms guns have a distinctive feel that others do not. They feel..."precise" when you work the action. The clicks are more "clicky" and everything fits tight and close, not to forget the brute strength they possess. One might call it the feel of "quality." I would like to have one of the mid-size models in 45 Colt. I forget the exact model number. I really have no need nor desire to shoot a large magnum such as a 475 Linebaugh, 50 S&W, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, or 460 S&W. The 44 mag and 45 Colt do everything I need a handgun to do, and with tolerable recoil. For every full-house "magnum" round fired, I fire a couple hundred rounds that clock under a thousand fips.
I would just buy the .454 Casull and shoot 45 Colt. Then if you ever wanted to sell it, I believe there would be a bigger market for you to sell to.

I love the 45 Colt and pretty much all I shoot out of my .454's.
Another vote for the Python. Colt's, and the world's, finest revolver. Just feels and looks right.
I've had and still have alot of great handguns but my favorite is a plain'ol Glock 17 go figure...

Glocks rock!

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Glocks rock!

YBYA they do, seen a 40 cal come unwound on a dude shootin prone one morning, blew the mag out the bottom and rocks, gravel, and dust went everywhere laugh

His paws were a bit sore, but everything was still attached eek IIRC a damn casehead ruptured.

Gunner
gunner -

Sorry that happened that; but GLAD to hear that.

I'm a S&W 6906 guy.

Thanks
Spooked the chit outta me JWall, felt like somebody slapped me in the side of the face with a salty broom laugh, I was about 3' off his right shootin my old Springfield 45 the same way.

IIRC it was G.F.C. brass or some chit like that.

Gunner
Oh, and are the 6906 S&W's the cool moon clip 10mm's and 45 ACP's?

Gunner
Well IF it was only failed BRASS...?

That PLASTIC mag LOCK shouldn't have TURNED LOOSE!

You'll have to school me on the plastic parts, me no comprende, all I remember is that MF'er coming unglued and gettin sandblasted in the side of the face, and my bud piling up about 3 or 4 different pieces of his pistol and us lookin at the partially blown out bottom and side of a brass hull.

Gunner
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
You guys are gonna think (or know) that I'm a cretan but for me believe it or not its my Walther 3.4" P22. It goes pretty much everywhere with me and with birdshot and or Yellowhackets it's done some really cool stuff for me.

I have a Tortilla from El Paso Saddlery to tote in it.

One hella kool gun! (4 me...grin)

Dober

Hey Dober,

That one almost made my list but I did not own it. My mother inlaw had me clean it up and hold it for her for about a year or so. Pretty nice pistol, very well made!!

FB
S&W model 14
Got two I have an 'emotional' attachment to..

4" Colt Diamondback in .22 LR
and
6" S&W Model 19
Originally Posted by jwall
Well IF it was only failed BRASS...?

That PLASTIC mag LOCK shouldn't have TURNED LOOSE!

Very Sorry Guys -

I was in a hurry to get gone and FORGOT to put grin grin
Gunner --

I'm not schooled on plastics and Glocks.

They have to be well made for so many police agencies to adopt them. They're supposed to be able to shoot underwater.

I am a STEEL kinda guy when it comes to guns and handguns in particular.

Now Rubber grips and synthetic stocks are diff.

When you pull a S&W 6900 series out no one wonders IF it's real.
I might add ANY steel gun.
I like the S&W M15 in particular, but in general I like all Smith K-frames.

Expat
Originally Posted by GF1
The four screw S&W N frame revolved, followed closely by S&W P&R of '70s vintage. I personally believe the Model 57 (no dash) is the holy grail.

[Linked Image]
Like this one?
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I like the S&W M15 in particular, but in general I like all Smith K-frames.

Expat

What he said.
Yup. I love Smith and Wessons and the K frame is perfect for the 357 given you don't do a ton of high volume shooting with magnum loads. If all there was was the K and N frames, I would be okay.

[Linked Image]
19-3
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My latest favorite. ;-)
.44 Special Flattop

[Linked Image]

My most favorite.
629 .44 Mag

[Linked Image]
S&W 25-5 45 Long Colt with 4 inch barrel P&R all the way baby!!!
Andy
owned a number of good shooting handguns in the years past and sold them all except my favorite two. Pre-29 4" and a Glock 20 juiced up abit to fancy me.
My favorite is my Huntington-built .500 Maximum.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Dober

Mark, it is good to know that you have a good one. I had one in .22LR myself, but I got rid of it. My particular one simply would not shoot. Terrible sights and very fussy with ammo, with frequent smokestack jams. I expected better from Walther.

Generally, I defer to those who shoot more than me, but let me list a few of my personal favorites, in ascending order:

Dornaus & Dixon Marksman Special .45 ACP (a special order to my hunting buddy's gun shop, as I recall, mine is s/n 14 of 250, so it is fairly rare)
Colt Huntsman .22LR
Colt 2nd Gen SAA .45, 4-3/4" barrel
Browning HP 9mm factory parkerized in 1980s with double safety
ASP 9mm (need I say more?)
Highly customized Colt Series 70 .45 ACP stainless, bead blasted, in fact pretty much a full boat combat custom job before Colt offered any, done by Mark Krebs in his early days as a gunsmith before specializing in AK-47s.

And for the all-time favorite, I agree with Phil on the S&W K-22. Mine is stainless with a 4" barrel and ramp front sight, and its previous owner had a fabulous smoothing job on it -- including removing the serrations from the trigger. It cycles like butter and is the slickest pistol I've ever owned.

A 1911 in 10mm.

[Linked Image]
[quote=HighRoad]My latest favorite. ;-)
.44 Special Flattop

[Linked Image]

Got one of those, too, back in January. The only non-Smith I've ever owned and a ton of fun to shoot and customize. Dayum, is this a neat addiction or what?

Best Regards
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]
Like this one?

Yup...or like this one:

[Linked Image]

...or this one:

[Linked Image]

...or this one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ruger SP101 .357 Have a basket weave El Paso Saddlery Tortilla holster that goes with it.
All Time Favorite Handgun Ever? They are all my favorites or else I wouldn't have bought them.
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]
Like this one?

Yup...or like this one:

[Linked Image]

...or this one:

[Linked Image]

...or this one:

[Linked Image]

NICE!!!
Thats the one.
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]
Like this one?
My all-time favorite was a much worn S&W model 15, Combat Masterpiece. 4" barrel, lovely trigger and with grip adapters it fit my hand perfectly. Emminently packable and a great companion tucked into a ruck sack on day hikes. It accounted for all manner of small game and once, memorably, a partridge that flushed straight away at maybe ten yards. With it's favorite handload it would put a cylinder full into an inch and a half reliably with a two hand hold over sandbags.

Sadly, I double charged a case one day when I was distracted at the loading bench. Even when I checked all the charged cases in bright sunlight I never saw the 7 grains of Bullseye in the bottom of that .38 Special case. The results of my carelessness were predictable.

I still have that wonderful old gun, or at least what is left of it. I keep it over the loading bench as a reminder that, as an old friend of mine once observed, "No matter how experienced we might be, we are all capable of doing something trajically stupid."

I miss that old companion as much as I miss my first Springer Spaniel.
1) Colt Frontier Scout .22 LR, inherited from my father.

2) Ruger "slabside" Mark II stainless .22 Long Rifle.

3) S&W Model 66 4" .357 Magnum with Crimson Trace grip sight.

4) Ruger Blackhawk 7-1/2" .45 Colt.

5) Heckler & Koch USP .40 S&W

6) Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP

I can�t pick one�

Depending on the day it could be:

- Mag-na-port tuned 4 inch 629.
- The Ruger Single Six that taught me how to shoot a handgun.
- Custom Colt 1911.
- Freedom Arms 97 45 Colt.
- 50s Ruger flattop 44.
- One of the 5 screw K22s.

Dennis.

Originally Posted by mtrancher

[Linked Image]

Ruger SP101 .357 Have a basket weave El Paso Saddlery Tortilla holster that goes with it.

Nice! Who did the Front sight for you?
In no particular order:
Ruger MK II 10" 22 LR

Smith M48 8.375" 22 Mag

Ruger Single Six 4.625" 32 H&R Mag

Smith M57 4" 41 Mag

Ruger Bisley 7.5" 45 Colt
I like 4" K-frame Smiths. If S&W ever made, .22, .22 MRF, and a 5-shot .44 Special clone of the 66, I'd buy a couple of each and send my Rossi 515s, 518s, and 720s down the road.

Jeff

Smith 65 .357 never mind the poor shooting from the May 24 hour [Linked Image] campfire handgun competition.
Smith's made before the keyhole of treachery and MIM parts.
The 629,and 29's as well as my M57
The 27's and 28
All my K's are precious
And then the L's and J's I have.
Nothing like a quality S&W DA revolver in a class all their own.

Magnum Man
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Smith 65 .357 never mind the poor shooting from the May 24 hour [Linked Image] campfire handgun competition.

I have a pair of Model 65, 3 inchers. My fav's. One was just rebuilt at S&W.
I hope that's a 50 yd group. smile

No I wish it was. It was a drill we did in the handgun forum.
COURSE OF FIRE
2 shots weak hand only at 3 yards in five seconds
2 shots strong hand only at 5 yards in five seconds
2 shots kneeling at 10 yards in five seconds
2 shots standing at 15 yards in ten seconds
2 shots any style at 20 yards in ten seconds
Im no crack pistol shot but I figured I would do better than I did. Oddly enough the two shots in the bull were from 20 yds. I really like the Model 65 it does shoot better than my above group.
Yup. I love Smith and Wessons and the K frame is perfect for the 357 given you don't do a ton of high volume shooting with magnum loads. If all there was was the K and N frames, I would be okay.

[Linked Image]
19-3

I wanna buy every one of those I pick up. The -3's seem to have the best triggers to me.
I love both my Mountain Guns. A .45 Colt and a .41 Mag. For out and out fun gun I lean toward the .45.
The Colt Woodsman target is my favorite all time handgun.

The best looking handgun ever made is the Colt Woodsman Match Target.

[Linked Image]
How does it shoot?
Of course the Colt Woodsman pistols shoot well. My late dad won the CT state championship with his.

I have carried and shot the Woodsman for 55 years now. I was a better shot back then. These days I shoot pistols most often with two hands.

The Colt Woodsman Target type that I have used since then is an old model with the 6 1/2" barrel.

[Linked Image]

This is my Ruger Blackhawk 44 special. This week, this is my favorite. It is setup so that my 60 year old eyes can easily see the sights and the grip is a little larger than factory to make shooting a bit more comfortable. It shoots great with 240 grain hard cast bullets at about 900 fps.

[Linked Image]
Smith & Wesson Triple Lock .44 Special.
My absolute all time favorite is my beautiful blued 6" Colt Diamondback .22lr. It would be the last of my guns to go. I also am very attached to my old S&W N frame Model 28 with 4" barrel and factory target grips. Balance, heft, action, strength, trigger pull. It would be the next to last to go.
CT, had a Triple mfg. 1906, had been nickeled - sold it CHEAP...pitted poor...reget, should have had another bbl put on. The action was perhaps Smoother than a Python I had then.
1847 Walker Colt
I owned one once. It had been cut back to 4 inches and had an old orange looking set of stag grips on it. I traded it to a 1917 Smith and Wesson .45 that looked like a new one, but still regretted that trade. I wish I still had that old Triple Lock.
N frame .44 Mags:

[Linked Image]

Though the 5" guns are my favorite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But the 4" guns are nice:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1911s are high on the list too..
Agree. I am a fan of the 5" N-frame too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'll be different here.
It's not my favorite carry gun,or hunting gun,or even my most reliable handgun,but there's just something about a C-96 that does it for me.
Maybe it's the ugly/sexy/sinister look. maybe it's the head turner qualities when I bring it to the range.
I dunno, they're just cool,IMO, of course.

[Linked Image]
K22 is a good'n....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Day in, day out, however, my Single Six convertible is my favorite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben
Mackey, somehow I think you and I both read alot of Bob Milek, Elmer, Skeeter, and others smile Good collection, steel and rabbits!

Bucktales, I may still have an old magazine article, the author use that very pistol to shoot some type of bears, Black or similar. The rounds apparently were high in penetration....an interesting pistol and round, always a head turner no doubt.

Ben, looks like you're doing well, staying fed too! Miss my old 17-4 or around there, had a 4", HB, TT, TH, AS, etc.

Single six is a classic that you can't wear out.
I like most all handguns but if I had to choose 1 it would be a 1911 for sure, just something about the look and the way it feels in my hands.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Mackey, somehow I think you and I both read alot of Bob Milek, Elmer, Skeeter, and others smile Good collection, steel and rabbits!

Bucktales, I may still have an old magazine article, the author use that very pistol to shoot some type of bears, Black or similar. The rounds apparently were high in penetration....an interesting pistol and round, always a head turner no doubt.

Ben, looks like you're doing well, staying fed too! Miss my old 17-4 or around there, had a 4", HB, TT, TH, AS, etc.

Single six is a classic that you can't wear out.

65BR,

I have read a good bit of Elmer, since he was more or less a local. I really am not well read on the others. One of these years I will have to search out some of their stuff.

The .44s just seem like a natural fit for my kind of outdoors stuff.

1911s have always been at the top of the list as well.

Colt 70 Series:
[Linked Image]

Kimber Series 1:
[Linked Image]

Les Baer:
[Linked Image]
first pick,

the heckler and koch p7 m13;

and secondly,

the beretta model 71 jaguar.

but handguns are like lays potato chips--nobody can have just one...
My S&W 586....

[Linked Image]
It is hard to name just one since i have many favorites , but if i have to pick one then it is my four inch 629

[Linked Image]
Yes, as the title suggested, pick "THE" all time favorite. You were one of the few who could. Thank you.
Colt series 70, Gold Cup
Springfield Champion by Wilson
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ruger .22/45

[Linked Image]
Glocks and Ruger Mk2s have a pointability that others don't. I believe it is a product of the grip angle. I always shoot low when point shooting with a 1911 or others of the genre. I suppose more practice with a 1911 would "cure" that.

My buddy brought his Glocks over to shoot one day. He has a 9 and a 40. I outshot him with his own pistols, and he hasn't been back. I suppose it is a case of winning the battle but losing the war. smile
Some favorites - Ruger Flat Top 44 Magnum and 1911's.

But my favorite ones will always be the ones that got away!
I have an early Flattop .44 that came close to being the favorite, but chose another. Still, it's a damn fine handgun.

Dan
Colt series 70 1911...Gold Cup, Commander, or Government don't really matter.
I thought about this for some time and changed my mind several times. I don't have a lot of handguns, but do have a few that I have had for a long time and used a lot. I finnaly realized that the one that I use the most and one that will do most all of what I want a handgun to do is my Kimber Pro Carry 45.

[Linked Image]
I have a hard time picking between the Glock and the 1911.
Toss up, my dads father was one of 3 boys and they all had a fondness for taking care of varmits with a 22. A brand new Colt Woodsman was bought in Hartford right before the production stopped for the war. Its a short barrel and is in the original box with their last name on it next to the price, 27 dollars. My daughter is a dead eye with it.
Close in the running is my Smith 66 round butt found at a local shop with a 3 inch barrel that looks to have been added after it left the factory as a dash 1.
Colt for fun and games. Smith if it really came down to just one for real.
Originally Posted by horse1
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OMG I need a beach towel to wipe the drool!
[Linked Image]
4" 686 in a Fitted Blackhawk holster
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Colt Anaconda,smooth as glass inside and out! 240gr XTP's
cross carryjust fwd of left pocket on belt
[Linked Image]
mostly the G22 in a fobus holster. 180gr Black Talons
Perhaps this one too.

[Linked Image]

I have several "favorites".

This one is a three screw Superblackhawk that started life as a .44 Rem Mag. I sent it to Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision for some work. Jim line bored the .44 cylinder to .45 Colt, fitted a Shilen barrel, a long steel ejector housing and a custom front sight that he made. I did a trigger job, including a trigger stop. I added an all steel rear sight and Pat Grashorn made the Elk stag grips.

Pat's web site: http://grashornsgunworks.com/

Jim web site: http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/contact/default.htm

Bottom photo, 255 gr. Bull X SWC's with 18.5 gr. H4227 at 25 yds. over a bag.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Dude! I am likin' that!

If it were mine it would show alot more wear and tear cause I'd use the schitt outta that one!
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

That M25 is doing a little something for me!

Expat
Another "favorite" is this Luger that John Dewey, father and grandfather of the Dewey cleaning rod manufacturers, built in the late '60's. Mr. John fitted a custom barrel, had it Magnaported, fitted Micro adjustable sights and did a trigger job. Lugers aren't known for good triggers, but this one has a great trigger.

This gun shoots pretty good. Check the 20 yd. target below, using Federal factory ammo. I haven't worked up accuracy loads for this gun. Too many other projects...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] shocked
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Expat

I love those grips.

Who made them?

DF
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dude! I am likin' that!

If it were mine it would show alot more wear and tear cause I'd use the schitt outta that one!

And, these for your favorite 300# boar hog... laugh

"Thunderhead" 270 gr. from Penn Bullets. http://www.pennbullets.com/thunderheads.html

[Linked Image]
Those would work good-large meplat and all that... grin

I killed a couple tons of game with a basic429421 250 gr. Keith boolit. Dat one would work mo'betta methinks grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
Those would work good-large meplat and all that... grin

I killed a couple tons of game with a basic429421 250 gr. Keith boolit. Dat one would work mo'betta methinks grin

I've been wanting to whack a big hog with one of those. Too many other projects and guns ahead in line. Right now a 9.3x62, a .375 H&H and a (soon to be finished) .404J. More guns than hogs... laugh

DF

edited to add, these are accurate, but not quite as accurate as the 250 Keith SWC's in my experience.

[Linked Image]
S&W Model 18.
For rimfire handguns, my all-time favorite is a 3 screw Super Single-Six 4-5/8" barrel. Have owned one for over 40 years.

Center fire, would be my new model Flat Top .44 Special with a 4-5/8" barrel.

Virgil B.
I'm boring, I like my 3rd gen smiths blush:

[Linked Image]

I grew up shooting a very nice S&W 29 but I prefer these over the wheel gun, any day of the week...
Handguns are like potata chips, you can't have just one :P

Wheel gun, I carry my Taurus tracker 2-1/2" 44 mag more than anything else in bear country smile.

Autos - I like my Kimber Ultra carry TLE.

I have a "few" others but the above are my favorites for pure functionality.
Today my fave is the S&W 17.
Another vote for 5" full lug M629's. Not overly heavy but still capable of packing a big wallop with maximum loads...and you can load it down to very mild loads for small game, or mid-range for defense.

After that, 1911's, in either .45 ACP or 10mm. Probably Colts, or Baers
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Expat

I love those grips.

Who made them?

DF

Keith Brown
My 'favorite' handgun pails in comparison to many of these posted but it is my go anywhere, do anything, I trust my life on it handgun and that is my XD-40.

It shoots anything, I shoot it well, and it goes everywhere with me.

Its not pretty, the bluing was wearing so I had my buddy cerakote it (wish I hadn't have done that) but it flat out works.
I love my 6" barrel Colt Police Positive in 32-20(in what I consider the most under rated handgun cartridge ever)Its light enough to carry all day and powerful enough to kill most anything I find here in South Carolina.
Favorite is somewhere in-between the Smith 17, 18 or 617. The 617 with a 4" barrel is my favorite to shoot. I want to say that my (really elegant) early 50's vintage 17 is my favorite, but ... it just sits in the safe. The crappy MIM part modern production 617 gets the nod every time when I'm going shooting. If I was forced to keep just one handgun, that 617 would be it.
Fav Auto: Colt Lightweight Commander .38 Super (S.N. # 002)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fav Revolver: S&W 657 4"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My favorite is the Model 29 four inch. I have one I use and three more just in case I wear the first one out.

[Linked Image]
Yes, having more than one of your favorite still counts as only one. I like your style.

Dan
S&W N Frame 4" .41
Smith and Wesson Model 625 in 460 Rowland by Clark.
As a kid, I dreamed of a Super, that Super Lite Commander would have fit the bill. Prolly nigh 357 Sig performance.

Is that an alloy frame and steel slide?

657s, the 4 is handy - had a 57/4 in the past and 29/4, Current CH 6.5 and a std. w/6, scoped but wanting to do a v notch w/gold bead to replace OEM.

41s and 10mms are favs but 357s and 38 Supers are great for PD, as 45s. 9s and 40s work, and others. I like dual purpose - for PD and hunting for Centerfire.

An OMBH 4 5/8 in 41 don't suck wink
Originally Posted by M16
My favorite is the Model 29 four inch. I have one I use and three more just in case I wear the first one out.

[Linked Image]

Are you sure you only use one?????

Mark
No, this is not my favorite to shoot but it is my single all-time favorite handgun, with an honorable mention to the Colt 1873 Peacemaker. But this one is my fav.

[Linked Image]
In case the spirit of the thread is, "what is your favorite handgun to shoot", well, that would be my Kimber Custom Royal classic. I don't know why people hype up the Series 1 Kimbers over the later guns, but I just know I like mine. As a shooter it is just a Cadillac. Always wanted to try a H&K P7M8, but absent that, the Kimber is just a dream to shoot at the range.

[Linked Image]
Jimbo, the Luger is really nice. Having said that, that Kimber is BEAUTIFUL!
Browning Hi-Power has always seemed the epitome of class to me.

Sycamore
Revolver: 686-0
[Linked Image]

Auto:
[Linked Image]
A 50th anaversery 357 Blackhawk, and a model 83 7.5 inch Freedom Arms 454.
For some reason I can't get as tied to the auto's as I can revolvers. With that I have a real liking for my 6" Colt Anaconda in 44mag. Fits my hand like it was born there and just seems to point like my finger.

[Linked Image]

While I love the look of the 29's they seem to pinch my hand (maybe another grip would cure this). My Redhawk hasn't quite done it although mine is coming out more and more once I had the trigger tuned and changed the grip.

Honorable mention to the Colt Diamondback. Again this thing is like an extension of my hand, a real pleasure to shoot.
The .32 guys are not yet represented. As much as I would like a 500 Maximum the limits of my shooting ability and pocket book keep that one out on the distant horizon.
My primary use for a handgun is just to carry around my place and shoot at rocks and grasshoppers. The occasional larger critter such as coyote, raccoon and rabbits make the 32 H&R Magnum a more versatile choice.

I am a big fan of the 32 H&R Magnum and the new 327 Federal. The first picture is of a Smith J frame and this is close to my ideal handgun. The port, key lock and mim parts prevent this nice little Kit Gun from becoming a �favorite.�

[Linked Image]

Here is a Smith 4 inch Kit Gun in 32 H&R Magnum but the polished stainless steel and the red ramp insert front sight prevent this revolver from achieving its true potential in the field. Bright sunlight on your back will stop all shooting.
Under the 32 Magnum is Terry Murbach�s 38 Special Model 36: �Trail Masterpiece� and I admit this one is close to perfect. I prefer the 32 Magnum cartridge but this little trail gun is just about flawless for �work carry.�

[Linked Image]

George Nonte had a 22 lr Model 34 re-chambered to 32 S&W long and Dave Ward had adjustable put on a S&W Model 31 in 32 S&W Long. Both wrote good words on their little Kit Guns and I am considering send one of these two Model 31�s to Hamilton Bowen to have an adjustable rear sight and a pinned front sight blade installed. I am assuming around $300.00 should cover the work.
At that point I may well have my �favorite handgun.�

[Linked Image]

Always liked the 32 H&R and fascinated by the 327 Federal, now kinda feeling an itch to get one!
Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum:

[Linked Image]
Slim,

I always learn something when you post. Much appreciated!

Sycamore
I admit to being torn among older N frame S&Ws, leaning strong into the Model 57s, but this 5" Model 27-2 worked into my heart over 32 years ago and hasn't let go:

[Linked Image]

I committed a terrible sin among collectors many years ago when I cut down the original stocks to fit my hand...but I still like them!
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Slim,

I always learn something when you post. Much appreciated!

Sycamore

Thanks, don�t take computer advice from me!
The blue on the High Powers will turn your head and unlimber your wallet.
Nothing quite like a 5� N frame with Magnas and a grip adapter. A bit heavy tp carry around while working but easy to shoot well.
I have probably a dozen handguns (don't tell anyone) and my favorite is my Smith and Wesson model 52. It has the best trigger, best sights, and is the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. Recoil is nada, and it's easy to reload. Lead 148 grain hollow base wadcutters, or even bevel base wadcutters cost $40 for 500. You use 2 or 3 grains of Bullseye. For target practice, it's an absolute joy. For home defense, I've got a nice .45, and for walking in the woods, a nice .44, but for shooting, there's nothing I'd rather have.

[Linked Image]
My favorite handgun is the Browning Hi Power lightly gunsmithed for a good trigger pull.

My second favorite is a SIG P 220 single action in 22LR.
H&R 999

[Linked Image]
S&W M19-5. I've always loved the snubbies.
[Linked Image]
Almost ANY good quality 1911, especially if it's a Lightweight Commander in .45acp
But my Kimber full size 10mm 1911 would be the one if I was truly limited to 1 gun.
And since I grew up reading heavy doses of Elmer Keith & Skeeter Skelton, my 2nd & 3rd choice would be my Flat Top Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag or my S&W
N frame Mountain Gun with a 4" barrel in 45 colt, all though I wish it had a 5" bbl !!!
My 4th & 5th choice would be my S&W N frame .44mag with 6 1/2" bbl aka "Dirty Harry" special. And my new Ruger Stainless Flattop that has a 5 1/2" barrel & 2 cylinders 45lc / 45acp.
Last would be my Glock 32 in 357 sig, but my old Colt LW Commander in .38 super would be hard to leave behind... Or maybe my Glock 10mm
There is just no way in Hell I could limit my self to just one handgun!!!
I doubt that their are not many out here on 24C who could choose just one! And I hope we never have to. Thank God for the NRA!!!
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Fav Auto: Colt Lightweight Commander .38 Super (S.N. # 002)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fav Revolver: S&W 657 4"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I use to own SUPER 389 cry
I have a good number of hand guns, I have sold and traded a whole bunch. One thing for certain, Ruger got the Super RedHawk right. I just wish it didn't use Ruger proprietary rings. If I could only have one gun, it would be a 1911.

Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
[Linked Image]

Favorite revolver, my 4" Smith Model 29, a close second is my 4" Smith Model 19. Auto, Smith 1911SC.
Colt Police Positive, six inch barrel, 38 S & W.
I miss my S&W model 57 6" nickle pimp gun I was robbed a long time ago and never replaced it. My favorite no is my S&W 460 10 1/2" barrel it brought the fun back in hand guns for me
Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357 6.5"
S&W Performance Center 500 Magnum Hunter. This hunter has a 6.5" barrel; only 400 were produced in 2004. I've got speedloaders for it, pouches for the speedloaders and a holster with cartridge loops on the holster.

I've got a Glock 20 with a 6" barrel that was fit by Bar Sto to its 6" slide; it's a tie between these two weapons for my favorite.
Tough question!

1.) The 1st one that jumps out is my 4" S&W 629 (red ramp/ white outline sights). Don't have it handy for the "- number", but it was right after they went to the round butt/ Houge grip.

I run either 7.5 or 10.0 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain SWC about 99% of the time for 860 or 1080 fps repectively. It is such a "blast" wink to drop those big "shells" into the chambers while producing just enough recoil to know you shot something bigger than a rimfire, but not enough to be unpleasant, and putting out enough horsepower to do virtually anything needed. (Although I'd pick a different load if I were hunting big game with it.)

Interestingly to me anyway, a couple times I've coaxed a few, mostly female, relatives with virtually no experience outside to shoot, and started with, depending on what I owned at the time, a .22 (Walther P22 or Ruger MK I), went to a Kel-Tec .32, then a .357 snubbie (stoked with .38's) and/or a Kahr P9, and finally the S&W 629 (7.5 Unique/240 SWC @ 860 fps). They ALL shot the 629 most accurately and loved that gun! Who'da thunk it?

2A.) Now, that being said, if I pack my 629 up and down the steep hills of southern Ohio, the weight and bulk starts to get uncomfortable after awhile. So if being my "favorite" involves packing around a lot, but not necessarily shooting it a lot, outdoors, it would be a stainless 3" .357 revolver with adjustable sights... preferably the S&W 60.

I used to own two Scandium S&W 360's, one with the 1&7/8's?, the other with the 3" barrel, but unfortunately lost them in a divorce. With full-power loads, they'd bruise my hand and the cylinder latch would peel the hide off the inside of my thumb, but they sure packed nicely! The 3" model had the V-notch rear sight, and I never could get it to shoot as well as I'd like. Oh, and I did develop a much milder load using SWC's for general use! I currently have a 3" Taurus 605 with fixed sights and while it'll work, it's just not in the same class as a S&W.

2B.) For packing around a lot, but in everyday activity, my Kahr P9 with nightsites would get the nod. It flat out fits my hand perfectly, has enough power for personal protection, has never, that I can recall, jammed, and is compact enough to go virtually anywhere.
glock 22
Chuck Norris of Montana my ---' Shrapnel you are just like most of my friends, sorry, but you can't claim very much uniqueness, just like the "good old boys" I've run with for 60+ years now. But anyone with your creds is in the running for unique for sure.
MC
All time... Ruger MKIII with a Pac Lite upper. Can go through hundreds of rounds before realizing it. Guess you can say that about most 22 autos though...
H&R 929. It's a Break-Top 9 shot .22 revolver. I had hours of fun shooting that pistol, and it was accurate enough for what I was doing with it.
Too big for a carry gun, but a pleasure to shoot.

Long slide Les Baer, shoots like a rifle. I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I got this one a few years back. Picked it up used. It's a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1911 as my auto of choice.

Smith and Wesson 29 with an 8 5/8" barrel as my revolver of choice.

Single action of choice would be a SAA in 38-40. Just fun to shoot.

Then i would have a Smith and Wesson X frame in .500 just because i love shooting them.
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
1911 as my auto of choice.

Smith and Wesson 29 with an 8 5/8" barrel as my revolver of choice.

Single action of choice would be a SAA in 38-40. Just fun to shoot.

Then i would have a Smith and Wesson X frame in .500 just because i love shooting them.

1) Mine too
2) 8 3/8"
3) Any ole SAA
4) Have one-love it!
- Ruger 22/45
-S&W 8 3/8th Model 17
- Kimber Gold Match
- S&W factory Armaloy Model 58

I am SOOOOOO blessed!

Terry
It was an N frame Smith but now it turned into a S&W Model 52-2. A one trick pony so to speak, but it does do a nice trick. The look in someone's eyes when I let them shoot it is priceless. Especially the Glock guys.
My old Model 19. I saved up my money and my father bought it for me in 1970. It was previously owned by the Police Chief of Dawson Springs Kentucky and he had traded it in at the hardware store for a Chief's Special.

It has been rebuilt twice and now is semi-retired. It has killed everything from deer on down. I carried it the first couple of years I carried a badge as well. My son will get this one when I am gone.

Lord only knows how many 358429 Keith SWCs have gone down the bore.

Runner up would be my 29-2 with a 6 1/2" barrel. I bought it back in the mid 70s when they were real scarce. I wanted it to hunt with, but back then everyone wanted to be armed like "Dirty Harry". This old revolver has killed a lot of stuff too-again, all with a Keith SWC.

I'm with you for the same reason. Carried my 4" M19 for six years. We had way too many adventures together to ever let it go. It killed a truck load of deer, numerous wild dogs and encouraged more than one scurvy neck call me, "Sir". Once it was the only thing between me and what turned out to be 16 armed men until backup arrived. Having been rebuilt once by Novak it too is semi retired.

I'm big .44spl fan, but if there's only one favorite that old 19 is what the'll pry from my cold dead hands.

O

Colt Woodsman. Haven't been without one model or another since 1976. Colt Officer's Model .22 revolver a close second.
How would I know? I haven't tried them all yet.
My favorite runs to the small side - Colt Frontier Scout in 22 lr. I bought it new at Sears in 1961, it has been carried and used so much it has very little bluing left. I do have to work to shoot it well because of the rudimentary sights but yet I seem to hit most things I point it at. It will never go away.

I have recently acquired a new one that is fast starting to be a "new" favorite. A Sig 1911-22, it hits everything I point it at and with a lot less effort than my old Colt.

drover
Wilson Combat Hunter 460 Rowland with many options.

Just a guess. I just got it today.
I don't know as I could pick one! I have a number I really like, 17's, security six, 1911', 25-5, 357's, Blackhawks, P-35s, MarkII, all for different uses and reasons. It would be like pickin a favorite child. Can't do it.

Oh, and I forgot the BP pistols.

Why would you want to pick one?
© 24hourcampfire