Home
Posted By: czech1022 My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Recently I bought a very slightly used Remington Mohawk 600 at a pawn shop that had been rebarreled to 22-243. Why anyone would do that, I can't imagine, but it gave me great leverage with the pawn shop owner when I pointed out that he would NEVER sell the thing in that oddball caliber. We settled on $250 and I happily brought it home.

[Linked Image]

I was so pleased because I had previously found another member of the Campfire that had a 20" 7mm-08 Rem take-off barrel for sale for $60 (thank you, kalbrecht!).

My gunsmith then switched the barrels, repaired a small crack in the stock and full-length bedded the barreled action for a total of $75 (ask real nice and I'll tell you his name!).

$250 + $60 + $75 = $385

[Linked Image]

It has a Cougar 6x scope set in Weaver rings and mounts. All I know about those particular optics is that they were made in Japan. They have an odd circle in the center of the reticle that I will measure soon on a 100 yard target to see if I can use it as a basic rangefinder.

But I figure with Federal 140gr Partitions I'm all set for my October Nevada elk hunt!

Future plans include a set of Conetrol bases & rings that I won at an auction at last year's Elk Foundation event for $30 and a new Bushnell Elite 4200 scope that's just been sitting in my closet waiting for a chance like this. I also understand that cvmw makes bottom metal for the Mohawk to replace that awful plastic stuff.

Once that's on, I'll have the barreled action Duracoated and start looking for a Mannlicher-style stock. My dream gun!

Groups at the range will have a wait a week or so. I'm spending the next 5 days camping with a bunch of Boy Scouts who want me to help them get a Shotgun Merit Badge. I'll post results once I have a change to get some shooting done.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
If it was mine, I'd spend another $75+/- on CVMW's alloy bottom metal.

Call Willie at 541-396-6246 or PM him, his handle here is CVMW.

Jeff
Posted By: czech1022 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Thanks, 260, I've already talked to him about it. But at the moment, it's going to have to take a back seat to ammunition costs and finding the right load.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
That turned out Great! cool cool (too cool)

PM me the name of the gunsmith. I have some work for him.

I'm loving the FN '06 and have it now wearing a 3-9 Loopy. wink
Posted By: Yukoner Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
That will never work. Everybody knows a 7mm-08 will only wound elk. wink

Ted
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
That's easy, buy a box of Federal Premium 140 grain Partitions.

3 shots to zero.

1 shot to fill your tag.

16 shots left for 2013 and beyond.

Jeff

PS - Good for you for beating a pawn broker. Everytime I beat a pawn broker, I feel like I've done something worthwhile that day. I hate pawn brokers!
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
The other addition I made to my 600 Mohawk was a Numrich walnut stock with cut checkering. It really dressed up the rifle.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Czech1022, Sincerely pleased to see that your priorities are in the right place, from purchase price on. You have assembled an efficient, and effective, hunting rig, tho' I know nothing about your present scope. Get tired of the constant barrage from the "if it ain't expensive, it's no damn good" crowd. Best wishes for a great hunt!
Posted By: horse1 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
I did something similar back in Apr, albeit simpler. I found a used Win 70 Ranger in 7-08 on the shelf for $349.99. I gave them $374 to get it out the door after taxes.

The end.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Ted

Come on, what are you talking about he's good to 300 yds.......but don't dare go to 301 ok... cool

Dober
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12

Ted

Yeah.

We have it on good authority, here on the Fire, that those bullets bounce off elk sized game... blush

DF
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Ted

Yeah.

We have it on good authority, here on the Fire, that those bullets bounce off elk sized game... blush

DF

According to said good authority, if he's not using a Leupold, the bullets can't possibly come anywhere near the elk.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Love my .243 Mohawk 600. I wish i could find a deal like that....260 remington here i come!

Please keep us updated on how this build plays out.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Ted

Yeah.

DF

According to said good authority, if he's not using a Leupold, the bullets can't possibly come anywhere near the elk.

Absolutely a (Fire) fact...!!

Wouldn't even get close enough to bounce off... laugh

DF
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
Hated my Mohawk in 243, wish i had re-barreled it in 358 Win. Nice bit of trading you did there, but I think getting a Ruger Hawkeye in 38 RCM for $400 was as good a deal, now that I found ammunition.
Posted By: Jericho Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
I saw a Remington 600 that had been rebarreled to 22-250 for
sale in a pawnshop several years ago and it was priced very
high. It had a 20" barrel if I remember correctly, it sat for
a long time and finally sold for $300 after about a year. Original price was $799.99.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/23/12
IIRC the 22/243 was called a 22 Cheetah.

Nice caliber, the 7-08. Personally I would go heavier than 140gr but TEHO. Good luck!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/24/12
A 22-243 could be a 22-243 Middlestead.

There are often problems with COAL when you use most bullets over 140 grain in a short action 7mm-08 or 284. A 140 grain Partition seems like a balanced bullet to be used for elk from a 7mm-08; enough weight, enough penetration, enough velocity, and enough accuracy potential.

Jeff
Posted By: JeffG Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/24/12
[quote=czech1022]

My gunsmith then switched the barrels, (ask real nice and I'll tell you his name!).

..so is the 22-243 barrel up for grabs?
Posted By: Jericho Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/25/12
I saw two M600s w/synthetic stocks today a 308 and a 6mm, didnt
check the prices.
Posted By: jt402 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/25/12
One of two half inch rifles, right out of the box, that I have ever owned, was a Remington 600 in 6mm. I bought it right after they came out in the early/mid 60s. The only down side it had other than being butt UGLY, was the noise. I used it as a car/truck gun until the mid 70s. I suppose you could say that I got too prosperous to hunt with an ugly gun. Sold it to a friend that may still have it.

Agree w/other posters. Everyone knows that it takes at least a .300 magnum to kill elk! jack
Posted By: Jericho Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/26/12
Correction, the M600 I thought was a 6MM was actually a custom
6MM-284.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/27/12
JeffG:

Yes the barrel is certainly up for grabs.

I'd be hard pressed to imagine how someone could make use of it, but I'd let it go cheap. But be warned, my gunsmith said the yokel who put it on secured it with permanent Loctite and he had to use heat to get it off after it turned in barrel wrench. The bluing in the area near the action is well scratched.

And by the way, the stamp actually says "22-243 Imp". Since it's improved, I suppose I'll have to charge you $.25 more.

Fred
Posted By: efw Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/27/12
You got an awesome rifle right there that'll serve VERY nicely!

I do have to say, however, that a 22-243 Imp would be a pretty darned sweet rifle too, even if for a completely different purpose.
Posted By: GrosVentreGeorge Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/28/12
Some pretty fine finagling there!
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 07/28/12
Great buy.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: My $385 Elk Rifle - 08/01/12
Well, I've found out why Cougar Optics is no longer in business. When adjusting for elevation, crosshairs also move side to side. Bore sighting was a real treat.

Once I got a bullseye at 25 yards, the next shot at 100 yards wasn't even on the paper! When firing, the crosshairs shifted inside the tube so no one shot repeated in the same location.

After a frustrating hour of playing "follow the bullet hole", I left the range and replaced that piece of junk with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9.

Returning to the range, I found in this rifle that although 140gr Nosler Partitions go pretty much wherever they feel like going, 140gr Barnes TSX's like to stay in nice, snug groups.

Both groups are under the same conditions: sunny 92 deg temp, 4500 ft elevation, gusty winds from left to right.

[Linked Image]

(The shot on the right was a called flyer)

[Linked Image]

A final shot (not shown) landed exactly 2 1/2 inches high and directly above the bull.

There seems to be a tendency to string vertically. Is there a cure for that? The action and barrel are full-length bedded.

Overall, I'm still feeling good about the purchase. It's accurate, light and comfortable to shoot. I'm slightly disappointed to find that the scope is trash but that wasn't really too much a problem, since I was going to replace it anyway. It's a shame about the Partitions, but I don't feel particularly handicapped being limited to the TSX, especially when going after elk.
© 24hourcampfire