Home
Posted By: Kwk1977 Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Was playing on google tonight looking for old articles and saw that Heritage Auctions is selling one of Page's 7mm mashburns. It's item number 6081.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
The one I would like to find is his Remington 375 Weatherby. smile

Ted
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Originally Posted by Yukoner
The one I would like to find is his Remington 375 Weatherby. smile

Ted

It's there Ted....have at it! smile

Gotta be "it" from the description.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
I was reading the description,old Betsy has a 22" barrel,he only used one load for everything,a 175gr bullet @ 3050fps.That's purty good for a 22" barrel.I guess H4831 was his go to powder for the Mashburn.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Bidding opens on 11/20/12.....month and a half to get finances in order. grin
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Think they'll take kids in trade on it?
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
My kids are too old and my only Granddaughter is too cute. I'm going to have to come up with something else. Bank robbery, diamond thief, something.

Either one of the 7MM Mashburns or the .375 Bee would be very cool to have.

Posted By: Snipebander Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
From what I can tell Arthur McGreevy passed this last spring and this is his estate cashing out. McGreevy was the Pres. of the Nat. Resturant assoc. at one time.

I wonder if they would take some timber land in trade for the .375 and Old Betsy #1. I probablly can't generate that much cash unless I liquidate my land holdings. SIGH !!!!!
Posted By: Kwk1977 Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Always wanted a .375 weatherby after reading one man's wilderness
Bob:

The description of the .375 B is wrong. It was built on one of the very first Rem. 721 actions. So whom ever wrote the auction detail/description hasn't read Pages article describing it.
Posted By: djs Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
I remember the articles Page wrote of his 7mm Mashburn. Brings back memories and dreams.
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
Think they'll take kids in trade on it?

I've got 2 real cute grandkids. smile smile
As a teen in the 60's I certainly was in awe of Warren's travel. I kept a F&S copy from 1967 or so where he went fishing for Nile Perch on Lake Rudolph from a Nova Scotia lobster boat. The article is called "Trolling for Tram cars". God I loved those articles. Fired my imagination beyond my humble up bringing. I REALLY wanted to see the world. Hunting to me is adventure travel.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6081&lotIdNo=29015#Photo

He sure had that scope mounted way forward. Must have been a stock crawler.

DF
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
From the pictures, it looks like there was no adjustment either forward or backward with that scope and rings on that rifle.
Posted By: Joe Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Really makes me wonder why the receiver ring wasn't drilled and tapped for the scope base. You'd play hob trying to get one of the modern scopes mounted to that set up.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
I thought Page was left handed. The rifle appears to be set up for a right handed shooter.
Posted By: ghost Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
I'm sure there were no left handed rifles back when Page alive. And would have been prohibitively expensive to have one modified. I don't know if he was left handed or not. Was an engineer by training.
Warren was left eye dominant and trained himself to shoot right handed. He had an English degree from Harvard, was a scholarship ball player, and played semi-pro baseball to make money in addition to crewing on a big game boat out of Nantucket(?). He was a gifted technical writer but was not an engineer by training.
Doc: They called the 375 Weatherby as built on a Rem 700 but could have confused that for the Rem 721 he used.I think the stock is a Lenard Mews...no?

Dirtfarmer: Those old Redfields and Stith/Morgan Bear Cubs(not sure which one it is)had lloonngg! eye relief (awesome!)which allowed forward mounting.I think the ring mounting on the rear sight extended base is cool and a nice custom touch.

I would give my left nut to own one of those Mashburns.... grin

But if not, no bigga deal.....I got a Mashburn Super of my own and since I built it, have very little desire for anything else.I don't need anything else. whistle smile
Originally Posted by 1234567
I thought Page was left handed. The rifle appears to be set up for a right handed shooter.

But it appears that the safety IS set up for a lefty.
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by 1234567

But it appears that the safety IS set up for a lefty.

djs: No; that safety on many commercial FN's is "normal", and was arranged so a right handed shooter simply reached over the grip with his thumb and flicked it down.It is two position.... I have owned a few and they work fine for a right handed shooter.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...I would give my left nut to own one of those Mashburns.... grin...

Will be interesting to see where they fit that in amongst the bids made in dollars. grin

There used to be a mailbox that we would drive past that had "L. Nutt" on it. We never did know the man's name, but always referred to the place as "Lefty's Place".
5s: Dollars will do the trick.... wink grin
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/04/12
Certainly a couple of hunting rifles with some real history, and miles, on them. I'd love to own either but that is way above my pay grade. Love the overall setup of the 375, just about exactly how I'd like to do an FN build, maybe one day on an 06 (of all things!) or another whelen (not a matter of need, just want).
On my to do list this fall is to get a copy of One Man's Wilderness, I've read it a few times but it has been several years.
For me, Page was one of the most enjoyable writers I have ever read about hunting/rifles, period.
If I ever have another 7 mag, it will be a mashburn or weatherby, just because.
Did anyone notice Jack O'Connor's Pachmayr custom .257 Roberts on that auction site?
Anyone who really needs a 375 Wby barrel bounce me a pm, I may have a barrel for you...grin

Dober

(5 wt Schneider cut to 23", stls, it's on my old 70, shoots great, is in good shape just more bump than I need want or desire anymore. If I can't do it with my Mashburn for me it most likely aint a gonne get done)
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/05/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I got a Mashburn Super of my own and since I built it, have very little desire for anything else.I don't need anything else. whistle smile

Careful using that four letter word, "need". A man could talk himself out of future builds, a dangerous scenario... shocked

And Bob, at least here on the Fire, you about as famous as ole Warren... laugh

But, I guess the Fire is a small world compared the everything else out there... smile

DF
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/05/12
I suspect that you could just go and shoot the same load and kill a pile of game with that rifle. Its more of a historic thing, it should be in the NRA fire arms Museum. Old surplus 4831 was the slowest powder he could get, and I used a lot of it in a 7mm RM. Shooting some 475 head of big Game of all sizes took some doing.I would not even think of the kind of resources you would need to do that much hunting world wide these days.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/05/12
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Did anyone notice Jack O'Connor's Pachmayr custom .257 Roberts on that auction site?

Yup! Didn't want to hijack the thread. Think that rifle is pictured in some of his books.

Gmsemel you may be right about that rifle being in the museum. It would still be very neat to hunt one of those old Mashburn-built widcats.

Dirtfarmer I read of the Mashburn for years with Page and Hagel.T'was Dober and Docbill who got me to build one...great advise from those guys! wink
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/05/12
Gee thanks Bob. I didn't think I had any stroke on this board at all. grin

Page was my HERO more than all the rest except maybe James Mellon in a different way and Elgin Gates just because he was so COOL.

I'm really glad you like your Mashburn.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/06/12
Doc you got stroke here all right! wink

Your knowledge and enthusiaism spoke volumes to me.

I can't think of many BG hunting chores that can't be settled with a 175 gr 7mm bullet at almost 3100 fps....yeah, I know there are cartridges that do the same things....but still.. grin

Seriously one very practical characteristic of the cartridge that I have noticed is the uniformity of velocities across several different rifles.....seems everyone who has one lands in about the same place,velocity wise.Even more intriguing that the design is now about 60 years old and still very "modern" by any standards.

Mellon and Gates were both Icons. wink
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/06/12
That Mashburn has quite a cool factor.

Bob your's turned out very well.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/06/12
MagMarc: Thanks, Yes it did....I like it a lot. smile
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/07/12
I just ran across a Warren Page article on a world wide 3 gun battery from the 1961 Gun Digest. One suggestion he had was the 240 PSP, 7mm Mashburn Magnum and the 375 Weatherby. A modern day equivalent to my mind would be the 6mm Rem, 7mm Ultra Mag and the 375 Ultra Mag. He suggested that the most practical would be a 30-06 Spr, 375 H&H and the 458 Win Mag. With modern bullets and powders that combination would be even better today.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/07/12
Page was a wonderful writer and thinker of the era but was unloved re. OConner because he was less of a story teller. His articles are gems of insight for the ages. I regularly reread them for insights anew inspite of them being 50-60 yrs. old.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/08/12
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I just ran across a Warren Page article on a world wide 3 gun battery from the 1961 Gun Digest. One suggestion he had was the 240 PSP, 7mm Mashburn Magnum and the 375 Weatherby. A modern day equivalent to my mind would be the 6mm Rem, 7mm Ultra Mag and the 375 Ultra Mag. He suggested that the most practical would be a 30-06 Spr, 375 H&H and the 458 Win Mag. With modern bullets and powders that combination would be even better today.

arl: I remember that article.Page was a 6mm and 6.5mm fan as well....very savvy and had figured out a whole lot of the stuff we see today about calibers,etc.awhile ago.Not based on theory either as he hunted with a lot of calibers/cartridges,including the 300 Weatherby and a 35 Mashburn.

He settled on the 7mm Mashburn/175 gr combo, and 375 Weatherby for a lot of what he did and killed many animals, globally,with those two cartridges.
Hmm, once upon a time I ran the 240 PSP, the Mash and the 375 Wby. Wonder where on earth I got some of my influence from...grin

Dober
Dober: Hard to say... confused

Research required! grin
Zeesh and I tried to lob that one. wink

Dober
That were an under-handed beachball! grin
cool
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/08/12
Cool pics and posts ,enjoyed them. A lot of older scopes had enuf eye relief that the rear of the occular lense was about even with the end of the tang. My M70 and M77 with K4 Weavers were so and other rifles I have with Vx 3's 2.5x8 same eye relief. As far as the ring spacing goes I believe they felt back then that it was stronger and more reliable to mount a scope that way.No doubt about it though, its a great looking outfit. Magnum Man
MM: Yes back then they believed in putting as much tube between the rings as possible,feeling overhand was not good if scopes took a whack or bump while hunting; scope tubes sorta flex..... wink

Long eye relief kept scopes from biting on magnum rifles or flopped prone uphill.

And scopes were simply not as big, and intended to mount low.I think these are still pretty good ideas smile

How did these poor guys kill anything? grin
Posted By: FredWillis Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/08/12
I was inspired by his book, "The Accurate RIfle". I particularly enjoyed his check on bedding of a rifle and used his process quite a lot. Still have the book after 35 years.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/08/12
i am feeling the itch for a mashburn, is there another cartridge you can get as a general starting place for loads? have used the 7rm for years and a little more go is very interesting.

Ed
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Warren Page's Mashburn - 09/08/12
My approach when I built my first one was 7 MM Roy data. The Roy uses pressure and free bore to go the same places the Mashburn goes with a few grains more powder and a bigger case with no free bore. Max. is about 3250 with a 160 and 3100 with a 175. If you can't do it with those then get a .375 of some sort.
© 24hourcampfire