Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
I can't see any real advantage over a .223 Anybody mess with one?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
Less powder, less noise, less recoil.

Should be great for whackin p dogs at long range.
Here's the Salvage, I'm waitin on CZ.

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I think less recoil is a stretch as far as an advantage. I buy less noise. Less powder as an advantage is a matter of opinion- who reloads to save money in this class of cartridges? Also, the diversity of available bullets for the .223 seems to trump all.
Oh yer prolly right. lol

The 17 should make a dandy fox gun. That's why it was originally wildcatted.

I think the new cartridge is gonna do pretty well on the market.

Time will tell.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
I see the point. It may not be a point for you, but don't be so dang narrow-minded that just because its not for you, you jumpin' to the conclusion its not for anyone else, either.

If I didn't already have a .17 HMR I'd be all over the .17 Hornet. Might be anyway before all is said and done.

Tom
Posted By: FVA Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I can't see any real advantage over a .223 Anybody mess with one?

I had MGM chamber up a barrel for my Contender. I had it finished at 23" and .650 at the muzzle and use a carbine fore arm.
The cartridge is a gem and averages in the high 3500fps range out of my Contender.

The difference in recoil, while not a issue for the shoulder,is there in a pleasant impression sort of way.
So is it's moderate report.

Comparison's with the 223 are a apples vs. oranges one ,IMO.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
Sakoluvr: I have not obtained one of these as yet - I am kind of waiting for a Ruger 77/17H V/T to come along.
My Ruger 77/22 V/T (L.R.) and my Ruger 77/17 V/T (17 HMR) shoot so very well that I am anxiously awaiting Ruger to burp out some of these heavy barrel Model 77's in 17 Hornet.
I did own a Ruger 77/22H V/T in 22 Hornet several years ago and it shot only fair AT BEST!
The advantages I see in a Ruger heavy barrel Model 77/17 V/T is the high capacity rotary magazine, very low recoil (see your misses/hits), low cost to reload, great bullets available and perky ballistics and trajectory out to 250 yards or so.
The 223 Remington has more versatility and usefullness over-all as a Varmint round, I am sure.
But what a fun little cartridge this 17 Hornet should be - especially for us Ground Squirrel Hunters.
I have not heard one go off in the field but I bet the noise level would be low thus not scaring the Gophers down as much as a 223 Rifle would?
The "new shape" of this 17 Hornets case should aid in accuracy especially over the 22 Hornets shape (inherently inaccurate)?
And another reason the 17 Hornet interests me is because it is something new in the world of Rifles.
I do know that my 17 Remington Fireball and my older custom 17 MachIV perform WAY beyond my expectations.
But, as I recall, the "sales pitches" I have heard and read regarding the 17 Hornet none of them claimed to have "an advantage" of any kind over the 223.
About the only cartridges the 17 Hornet would hold an advantage over are the 17 HMR, 17 Mach2, 22 Magnum and the 22 Hornet.
I am hopin to be messin with a 17 Hornet come winter and have it ready for the late spring (around my parts anyway) arrival of the Gophers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
VarmintGuy, much thanks for the input. As always, good insight and well written.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: .17 Hornet - 10/09/12
VG, how much advantage will it hold over a single shot (pointed bullet) 22 K-Hornet?

Mark
Posted By: 1B Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
17 Hornet boasts over 3600 fps. My 22 K Hornet ran @ 3200 fps stuffed with Lil Gun and 35 gr Hornadys.

1B
17 Hornet boasts over 3600 fps. My 22 K Hornet Ruger 77VHZ ran @ 3200 fps stuffed with Lil Gun and 35 gr Hornadys.

1B
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
I don't know why but I want one!

I just wish they packaged them in something nice...the Savage just doesn't cut it.

Too bad someone doesn't make a small action that isn't cheap, over the top expensive, or clunky. Hello Remington??? maybe a 700 scaled down???

I'm looking into having an old Remington 580 (22 long rifle) converted to centerfire in 17HH but I'm waiting to see what comes on the market.
Posted By: FVA Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

About the only cartridges the 17 Hornet would hold an advantage over are the 17 HMR, 17 Mach2, 22 Magnum and the 22 Hornet.

Yeah, The 17 Hornet crushes all the named while maintaining much of their manners.
1000 fps and 3 grs. more v-max bullet than the 17 HMR make 300 yards pretty easy.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
I think less recoil is a stretch as far as an advantage. I buy less noise. Less powder as an advantage is a matter of opinion- who reloads to save money in this class of cartridges? Also, the diversity of available bullets for the .223 seems to trump all.

Sakoluvr,

For myself only : It's a "Got to have"... smile Sorry, I'm just an incurable rifle looney... grin

I have flirted with the .17 Javelina, .17 Rem, .17 Fireball, and the only .17, I currently own, is a .17 HMR.

I'm just waiting for it to come out in a Ruger #1... Hopefully, #1-AB or a 1-A... But likely I'll take whatever they make... I don't DEMAND that Ruger conform to my wishes, nor require them to make it in a form of my choosing... If Ruger thinks that it will sell, I'm sure they'll build it in whatever format they think will sell the most rifles... (After all, manufacturing is a business, and one must treat it as such...)

I'm more inclined to think of it as a reloadable .17 HMR, with a bit more OOMPH!, or equal if one is so inclined... grin That's one of the greatest advantages of reloading... One can choose the power level...

Have a great day...

GH
GH,

How about a .17 Hornet in a #1S? From the guys who made them in the 218 Bee?

1B
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Originally Posted by 1B
GH,

How about a .17 Hornet in a #1S? From the guys who made them in the 218 Bee?

1B

1B... I fail to see the purpose of sights on a .17 Hornet, but if that's the way it came, I'd likely buy it and whack the barrel to 23 5/8" and then have it fluted... grin

GH
Posted By: BRoper Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
I just can't warm up to the .17 Hornet. I can't figure why a cartridge like the .17 Fireball just about dies on the vine and then everybody jumps all over the .17 Hornet like it's the greatest thing sliced bread. The .17 Fireball has much better brass, can be loaded down to .17 Hornet and up to within a few fps of the .17 Rem. The Fire ball is a much more effecient cartridge in my opinion and deserves more respect than it's recieved. Again, this is just my opinion and I have nothing against anyone that likes the .17 Hornet and wants one, more power to you.
Posted By: Heeler Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
CZ is advertising their 17 Hornet rifles to be available in January. Looks like it'll be in the 527 Varmint and American.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Good deal.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Originally Posted by Heeler
CZ is advertising their 17 Hornet rifles to be available in January. Looks like it'll be in the 527 Varmint and American.

I wonder if the magazine for the 17 Hornet will require the same fore and aft filler blocks that the 22 Hornet does in the 527. Kind of a pain in the keister having to modify the front and rear fillers in order to seat bullets out far enough to keep the ogive beyond the case mouth on mine. Plus, trimming down the fillers effectively made the follower a little short front to back, making for the occasional feeding bobble.

My beef with the magazine aside, the 527 in .17 Hornet ought to be way cool.
Posted By: deflave Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I think less recoil is a stretch as far as an advantage.

Have you ever shot the .17's?

Travis
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I wonder if the magazine for the 17 Hornet will require the same fore and aft filler blocks that the 22 Hornet does in the 527. Kind of a pain in the keister having to modify the front and rear fillers in order to seat bullets out far enough to keep the ogive beyond the case mouth on mine. Plus, trimming down the fillers effectively made the follower a little short front to back, making for the occasional feeding bobble.

No euro-trash.

I'm waiting on Ruger.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

No euro-trash.

I'm waiting on Ruger.

Travis

Does anybody know how to spell GFY in Czechoslovakian? grin
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Does anybody know how to spell GFY in Czechoslovakian?

Jdi se vycpat (JSV) grin

Jdi se vycpat (JSV) grin

New signature? grin

Travis
Posted By: Heeler Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12

No euro-trash.

I'm waiting on Ruger.

Travis

I thought you were talking about Czech girls there for a moment. Heard they're kinda trashy, but in a good way.
I'm discerning with rifles. Not much else..

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
I just got a 222 Remington Mag in a Pre-Garcia Sako Deluxe. That is about as new as it gets for me. If this Hornet thing catches on and survives, I may look at it in 25-35 years...

[Linked Image]
Mr. Shrapnel,

I will give you $300.00 for that rifle.

Cash.

Let me know.

Travis

Jdi se vycpat (JSV) grin

New signature? grin

Travis

It's got your name on it! TFF

http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-czech/
I'm lovin' it.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: .17 Hornet - 10/10/12
Now a .20 Hornet...... whistle
Originally Posted by ingwe
Now a .20 Hornet...... whistle

That is impractical, sir.

Travis
That'd be sweet.....

I liked the 'sir' part BTW.....
I see you persist in promoting your communist/.20 caliber propoganda.

Back on ignore with you, sir.

Travis
Toggle this and read..............

GFY! laugh
JSV

Travis

C'mon now, don't make me dig up the thread where you complimented my CZ hornet. wink

Oh, JSV!

Travis

C'mon now, don't make me dig up the thread where you complimented my CZ hornet. wink

Oh, JSV!

I'm actually just bored and feel like arguing.

I may buy this for me if I'm nice to myself this Christmas.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-precision-trainer/

Travis

Travis

C'mon now, don't make me dig up the thread where you nocomplimented my CZ hornet. wink

Oh, JSV!

I'm actually just bored and feel like arguing.

I may buy this for me if I'm nice to myself this Christmas.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-precision-trainer/

Travis

That would be sweet. I'd really like a heavy, tack driving rinfire. My 10/22 with a heavy stainless Green Mountain barrel just doesn't cut it.

I had a CZ 452 in 17HMR that was a scalpel, but would suddenly lose zero by several inches. Swapped scopes, bedded it, blah, blah, blah. No cure.- sent it down the road. Pity, they are sweet guns and the backwards safety on a CZ will really keep a guy on his toes. Kinda like when the wife starts being nice-makes me look around to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
Posted By: deflave Re: .17 Hornet - 10/11/12
I have a friend with a CZ in .223 that does that exact same bullschit.

Synthetics rule!

Travis
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: .17 Hornet - 10/11/12
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sakoluvr: I have not obtained one of these as yet - I am kind of waiting for a Ruger 77/17H V/T to come along.
My Ruger 77/22 V/T (L.R.) and my Ruger 77/17 V/T (17 HMR) shoot so very well that I am anxiously awaiting Ruger to burp out some of these heavy barrel Model 77's in 17 Hornet.
I did own a Ruger 77/22H V/T in 22 Hornet several years ago and it shot only fair AT BEST!
The advantages I see in a Ruger heavy barrel Model 77/17 V/T is the high capacity rotary magazine, very low recoil (see your misses/hits), low cost to reload, great bullets available and perky ballistics and trajectory out to 250 yards or so.
The 223 Remington has more versatility and usefullness over-all as a Varmint round, I am sure.
But what a fun little cartridge this 17 Hornet should be - especially for us Ground Squirrel Hunters.
I have not heard one go off in the field but I bet the noise level would be low thus not scaring the Gophers down as much as a 223 Rifle would?
The "new shape" of this 17 Hornets case should aid in accuracy especially over the 22 Hornets shape (inherently inaccurate)?
And another reason the 17 Hornet interests me is because it is something new in the world of Rifles.
I do know that my 17 Remington Fireball and my older custom 17 MachIV perform WAY beyond my expectations.
But, as I recall, the "sales pitches" I have heard and read regarding the 17 Hornet none of them claimed to have "an advantage" of any kind over the 223.
I am hopin to be messin with a 17 Hornet come winter and have it ready for the late spring (around my parts anyway) arrival of the Gophers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you talking about the 77/17 in the Green Mountain stock? A sweet stock!

Anybody shot a 77/17? How do they shoot?
Posted By: 1B Re: .17 Hornet - 10/11/12
I have a 77 17 HMR with a magnum research graphite bull barrel. It makes shamrocks at 25 yards and is way under MOA at 100.

1B
Posted By: HiredGun Re: .17 Hornet - 10/14/12
Ruger told us they were never going to make them so we just built our own.
Here it is next to the 17HMR. They are a blast and so far every one is been easy sub MOA with the factory ammo.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: justin10mm Re: .17 Hornet - 10/14/12
A muzzle brake on a .17, now THAT is impractical!
Posted By: HiredGun Re: .17 Hornet - 10/14/12
Maybe impractical to you but the one with the brake is measurably easier to shoot accurately than the regular target/varmint models.

I've never used a brake on a 10/22 but they are standard equipment for competition rifles.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: .17 Hornet - 10/14/12
Well as I see it, the main advantage would be you can hand load 17 Hornets vs 17 HMR. My uncle had a 5mm Remington and shot it a lot till they stopped making ammo. I shot the 22 Hornet a lot over the years. I don't know if this one is going to catch on, but I guess there are people who like 17 cal Bullets. I remember the 17 Remington Coming out back in 1969. I personally can't see it as a small game cartridge, that is if you plan on eating the small game. Then again I maybe wrong on this all together.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: .17 Hornet - 10/14/12
And they don't kick much.

I ust fireformed 2 17AH cases I formed from Hornets after the raiders lost, it is a 12" BULLBERRY contender, kick isn't much more than the 17 HMR.

Back to reforming brass for this toy. I am doing 50 to see how it shoots, with a 12x Redfield with the circles it looks like it will make a nice 125- 175 yard gun when the rifles get too hot, lol.

Allen
Posted By: Seafire Re: .17 Hornet - 10/15/12
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I don't know why but I want one!

I just wish they packaged them in something nice...the Savage just doesn't cut it.

Too bad someone doesn't make a small action that isn't cheap, over the top expensive, or clunky. Hello Remington??? maybe a 700 scaled down???

I'm looking into having an old Remington 580 (22 long rifle) converted to centerfire in 17HH but I'm waiting to see what comes on the market.

That's a good question!

Pacific Tool and Gauge over here makes bolts for model 700s...

I'll have to contact them today and see if they can make a bolt for one with a 22 hornet bolt face..

I've seen bolts made for those 5.7 rounds for a model 700...
they didn't sell real well, but were made in an attempt to make the round available to varmint shooters...

I checked on seeing if any Ruger were available... and to no avail with distributors..

but due to it coming out I have found some used Ruger 22 Hornets, but the price going up a couple of hundred bucks, with the speculation folks will want them to put a 17 Hornet barrel on them...

also wonder how this will compare performance wise with a 19 Caliber Calhoon Hornet..

Addendum, checking PTG's web site, they don't have a Model 700 bolt head available in a 22 Hornet bolt face... but they do have a bolt head available for a Savage 110 action in 22 Hornet.. they are $50 but a 17 hornet built on a Savage 10 Short Action wouldn't be a bad route to go...
Posted By: cra1948 Re: .17 Hornet - 10/15/12
I'll get a .17 Hornet when somebody starts making a good .17 deer bullet.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: .17 Hornet - 10/15/12
I don't see me buying a rifle just to have the latest and greatest. I do agree that the 17 Hornet should have less recoil, less powder, and possibly less noise. I also understand Sakoluvr's skeptizism. However the reason I am seriously considering this rifle is the simple FACT it will have less fur damage particularly on fox and bobcat. The fact that it will take out a coyote quite handily is a bonus. I have killed well over 100 coyotes with a .223 and most of the time fur damage isn't bad, but there's been a few that were a real mess. I can't see that happening with a 17 Hornet. The graphic photo below is what happens when things go wrong with a .223. In this case it was a 55gr. Nosler BT and the coyote was at 30 yards. I've shot them with this same load, just as close with virtually no damage. My point being when things go wrong with the .223 it goes really wrong. This was the entry wound, there was no exit. I've nearly cut red fox right in half with a .223. I just don't see this happening with a 17 Hornet.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: HiredGun Re: .17 Hornet - 10/15/12
Originally Posted by Seafire

I checked on seeing if any Ruger were available... and to no avail with distributors..

As of this morning Davidsons has 70 in stock and Lipseys has 11. They are pretty slow movers.

In a Remington 700 making up the bolt would be the easy part. I would just turn the rim off it, cut the rim recess into it and bury a Ruger extractor into the side of it. Problem I see is the bolt lugs are so far up into the action you couldn't reach the chamber with a round to load it. Extraction with a plunger ejector would never work right either.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
What about necking one back up to .22 caliber in order to have decent brass for the .22hornet?
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
Why not a 25 Hornet.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
I think we should do a .29 Hornet with an Ackley Improved 40-degree shoulder. Couldn't work that into the case (which would have to be pretty much straight) but we could put the magic 40-degree shoulder on the bullets.
Posted By: rattler Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
B-29 Lite?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
B-29 Short Mag....
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
John,

How about B-29GFY?

The GFY stands for Great For Yotes.

Just trying to help out here!

Steve

Posted By: 4xbear Re: .17 Hornet - 01/09/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer