Home
I just came across a 1942 Model 70 in 30-06 (.30 govt) that the owner says appears unfired. He admits he doesn't KNOW this for a fact, since it's only been in his closet for the last 40 years. Serial number in the 46,000 range, metal butt plate, great condition, but it has a receiver-mounted peep sight and the stock has an indentation for it to fit.

Is there any way this was a factory option in 1942? Does the stock cut destroy collector's value?

The rear sight dovetail is filled with what the owner calls a "butterfly".

I have to decide what this is worth by tomorrow morning, since I'll get a chance to see it and decide if I want to buy it.

Any opinions?
What sort of money?
Rare factory option - will be hard to tell.
$600
Posted By: g5m Re: Question about a 1942 Model 70 - 10/12/12
Sounds like a probable "BUY", unless something untoward pops up.
This sounds like a pre war rifle...or an early receiver assembled after the war with a transition safety(?).Anyway it sounds very nice.

I know Winchester used to offer the lyman receiver sights as a factory option and this one sounds like a M48.IIRC the 48 needed a stock cuttout, but the M57 did not.

Wouldn't matter to me and if the price is right I would buy it anyway.
The factory cut away the stock for many of those Lyman 48 sights. If it were a 1950 or 60 gun then it shouldn't have the wood cut as Lyman had modified the sight base by then to not require the stock to be cut.

I have a 48 375H&H that was special ordered with only a front sight that has a Lyman 48 with a cut stock on it. I can see no reason why this isn't the way it came from the factory as I'm betting that anyone who ordered a low comb rifle without a rear sight would have ordered it with the Lyman 48 on it from the factory.
Yep...it appears to be a Lyman 48 factory-installed. The rifle is in excellent condition:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Needless to say, I bought it. Lucky for me, there's a gunshow tomorrow and I might be able to sell it for enough to pay some bills!

Thanks all,
Fred
Here are a few more pics.

It has a great stock with sharp checkering and a pristine barrel. The sling swivels look original, and I'm thinking it may be very close to 98% overall condition. I can't see a single mark inside the barrel...it may never have been fired.

The only touch of rust is a couple of small spots near the front sight, and I may be able to reduce them with some light rubbing with an oily rag.

I don't want to give it away to a dealer looking for a bargain tomorrow...does anyone have an opinion on what it's worth?

[Linked Image]

You can see a couple of spots of rust right under the front sight here:
[Linked Image]

Metal buttplate with point closely inletted:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What do you think?
PM sent

wink
Originally Posted by czech1022
$600

You yanks are seriously spoilt....that rifle would not last two minute here at twice that price.

Stop procrastinating and put your money down before some clown beats you.

Added; I have just read the rest of your posts, good catch.

Now....don't sell it.
You got robbed!!!
Send it to me and I will give you your money back. smirk

Seriously, I don't know its true value but it would not scare me to pay at least $800 for it and I assume that is still under its true value.

Its worth whatever someone will pay.
Posted By: g5m Re: Question about a 1942 Model 70 - 10/13/12
Congratulations on a very nice purchase!
Czech, you have done good. I have a 1938 receiver/1939 barrel (take your pick) in .270 that will not go over 60-70 percent. An appraising dealer offered me 800 for it 7-8 years ago. It has family ties and is not yet for sale. Jack
czech, don't sell that Mod70, if you have to, sell something else.
That rifle is a keeper. Beautiful.
JS......we're not all spoiled.....in my area, that piece probably wouldn't go for less than $1500.00, and maybe even more. It probably wouldn't last more than a day or two on the rack.
Of course $600.00 is a steal!!!! I wouldn't be able to whip my wallet out fast enough. Stock or no stock....Good for you, great find!!
Thanks - unfortunately, bills are coming in faster than paychecks. This one will have to be put on Gunbroker.

I would post it in the Free Classifieds, but as much as I like the people here, you guys are a bunch of notorious skinflints! wink If I can swing it with all the other things I have to do today, it'll be posted tonight.
© 24hourcampfire