Home
Posted By: MickeyD HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/15/12
Any body have any experience with the Huskemaw scopes? I'm considering one of their 5-20 LR scopes for my Cooper Montana Varminter (243 Win)and possibly a 3-12 for a 7 mag.

How do the optics stack up to Leupy VX III, Zeiss Conquest, etc. for brightness and resolution? Positive and repeatable return to zero on the turrets?

Any first hand info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mike-

Posted By: Formidilosus Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/15/12
My first question is why the Huskemaw over scopes that actually have a solid reputation in the long range community?
Posted By: drover Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/15/12
They are butt-ugly, overpriced and a Cooper deserves better.

Someday you may want to sell the scope - I think it would be hard item to sell if you ever want to get rid of it.

drover
Posted By: rockchuck828 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/15/12
They are gimmicky and overpriced....if you can overlook that they might be worth some consideration........no look elsewhere!!!!
Posted By: bea175 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/15/12
buy a NightForce
Posted By: MickeyD Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
Thanks for the all the input.

I tend to be more than a little skepticle of the wild claims and having never seen one up close thought I'd ask here hopeing to find some first hand comaparisons to the Leupy's and Zeiss Conquests...scopes I have a lot of experience with.

One of their claims to fame is that they are made in the same factory as Night Force. As if that meant they were the same quality?? Their attempts to snuggle up to NightForce is a BIG red flag.

Resale value has never been a consideration in purchaseing optics. So far I haven't sold ANY of the optics I've ever bought and that's going back to 1965.

I did consider Night Force and have a couple of friends that own them. Very impressive but they are so danged HEAVY. Two pounds of scope is just too much.

Thanks again!

-Mike-

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
For that price, one should consider the Swaro Z5. I have a 3.5-18x42 BT and I like it a lot. It's 15.9 oz. and has a 1" tube.

The Z5 5-25x52 weighs 17.5 oz. and has a side focus A/O. I think the glass is as good or better than anything mentioned and Z5's can be ordered with several ranging reticles or the ballistic turret.

DF
Posted By: pointer Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
Just a thunk, but if you like attributes of the Huskemaw scope you may like the Greybull Precision scope. IIRC, it carries the same warranty as the other Leupold scopes.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
Know of only one in use, on a .30-378 of friend. I've loaded for, and shot that beast (then gladly turn it back over). The scope, and it's system of making corrections is accurate enough, but it's complicated, and limited to a particular set of ballistics (read, one bullet, and velocity).

Not for me, but then again, neither is shooting critters at the ranges the system is designed for. TOOOOOO far for me.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
Leupy VX6 CDS.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
I punch paper, and ring steel at long range, using high quality optics, and super-dooper rifles. Comes time to hunt, a 25-06 with a 2x7 Leupy is pretty racy for me. Often my shots are actually pretty close, and lend themself quite nicely to say a 300 Savage, or 22 caliber of some sort.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Leupy VX6 CDS.

I agree. The VX-6 2-12x42 with CDS is hard to beat.

Any Leupold with a CDS represents the best buy (value for the buck, including resale value) for turret scopes on the market, IMHO.

DF
Posted By: 257wby Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
Sounds to me like only one responder has actually shot one. I haven't shot one either, so there's no way I can say yea or nay. And neither can these other guys. Yes I own Leupolds but are they better than Huskemaw? I don't know.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/16/12
I've shot one, though my experience is pretty limited. It was ok, nothing to write home about optically.

I would personally rather have a Leupold (or even the Greybull version if I was set on the windage hold reticle), because if the scope ever quits, there is a good warranty to fall back on. With the Huskemaw, who knows?
Posted By: kraky111 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/18/12
Buddy of mine has a couple of them. They are pretty clear...could easily see 7mm bullet holes at 335 yards.
They do have a funky turret though...each click is 1/3 moa.
Plenty pricey but he can afford to experiment with all the toys....I know I am too cheap to see the value.
Posted By: Huntz Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/19/12
They will not make you a better shooter.Way to clunky on the rifle I shot.You can get a good name Brand Scope for the same price or less.They pimp them on long Range Shooting because they are paid to.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/20/12
Again, Thanks for all the input.

Ya, a Swarovski Z5 would be great, but at nearly twice the price not likely to happen.

The more I look around, the more it looks like I'll mate my 7 mag to a Leupy VX 6 2 - 12 x 42 CDS. I've had this rifle since 1964 and the scope on it has to go...OLD Redfiled 3-9 of the same age. To say this scope sucks is a HUGE understatement.

I bought the Cooper to shoot itty bitty critters and the occasional coyote at extreme ranges. Not sure what will find a home on this one. Perhaps a Leupy MK4 8.5-25 with M1 turrets. The search continues......

-Mike-
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by 257wby
Sounds to me like only one responder has actually shot one. I haven't shot one either, so there's no way I can say yea or nay. And neither can these other guys. Yes I own Leupolds but are they better than Huskemaw? I don't know.

that a room full of rifle loonies produces only one fellow using that off brand, tells you something............
Posted By: nsaqam Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by 257wby

that a room full of rifle loonies produces only one fellow using that off brand, tells you something............

EXCELLENT point!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Thanks for the all the input.

I tend to be more than a little skepticle of the wild claims and having never seen one up close thought I'd ask here hopeing to find some first hand comaparisons to the Leupy's and Zeiss Conquests...scopes I have a lot of experience with.

One of their claims to fame is that they are made in the same factory as Night Force. As if that meant they were the same quality?? Their attempts to snuggle up to NightForce is a BIG red flag.

Resale value has never been a consideration in purchaseing optics. So far I haven't sold ANY of the optics I've ever bought and that's going back to 1965.

I did consider Night Force and have a couple of friends that own them. Very impressive but they are so danged HEAVY. Two pounds of scope is just too much.

Thanks again!

-Mike-

Nightforce scopes are designed to be extremely rugged and that means more "beef"

Posted By: bgbuck153 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/29/12
I would like to jump in on this topic as I own a husky . I understand that they have only been around a few years but they do as they advertise . They track flawlessly from zero to 1000 yds as I have tested several times while shooting . Yes, leupold has been around forever and I own a couple of them so I'm not being prejudice to them , but where did they start from "scratch" . And if a scope is "clunky" it might be the guy that mounted it !
What do you guys do with a side turret with changing variable wind conditions , you keep clicking until you shoot . I simply range the yardage , hold on the hash mark and dead , that simple . I hunt real world animals and alot of the time time is very limited and I feel very confident that if in a crunch moment I will get the shot off much faster than some dialing 2 turrets .
If your doing a head count on how many guys chime in on this topic that own huskys they sure it's going to be low when your comparing it to companies that have been around for a long time . I am working on another long ranger set up and you can bet your bottom dollar that it will have a husky blue diamond on top of it .
Posted By: xphunter Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/29/12
I own Huskemaw - Pre-Blue Diamond.
I did a review on LRH on it several years ago.
I wrote what I experienced.
It has stood up to a number of guns including a center-grip 338 Lapua Improved on a XP-100 specialty handgun.
I have not run it on a Chey-Tac yet though.
Typically shot .4" groups off of a bi-pod with it (338AX).
Turrets have remained accurate.
It is another way of "skinning the cat" to shoot distance.
Am I concerned about it breaking on me or letting me down when hunting or shooting? No, not any more than any other scope I typically use: NF, Leupold Mark 4's & VX-3's LRT, Sightron S-III's.
Been using the Burris Elim 3 as much as I can recently, but it is a different cat.
When it comes to what you are going to buy, do your homework then buy what you want, within your budget.
What one person likes or uses may or may not be what you like.
And remember, this is the internet smile
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: HUSKEMAW SCOPES - 10/29/12
I'd take a new Husky. The Blue Diamond looks like a nice scope for those that like to dial for distance. I am not sure if you can get an MOA turret for the Blue Diamond or not though. I am sure they have a warranty and they do cost less than Nightforce.
© 24hourcampfire