Home
A friend asked me to make some of these for him.

What are the experiences with this combination.

Any and all experience is welcome.
No elk here - and I am no gun writer - but that bullet does 2880 in a 24 inch barrel in my Zastava with .75 moa three-shot groups.
Well...it will do the job, especially if you're planning on a close shot. If you're going to be shooting longer distances I like a 140gr Accubond or a 150gr hornady interbond as they have higher bc (or some of the Barnes options). The combo of slower speed, and so-so bc with the 160 partitions will catch up to you if your shooting out past 300 yards or so. The partition will drop about 32" at 400 with about 1340 in energy, while a 140gr (bc of .495) will only drop about 26" with 1480 in energy for example. IMO the good ol' 270 hasn't ever been great with 160gr pills, generally speaking partitions are a good bullet. If you do some searching on the web or talk to others you'll also find that particular partition is often not all that accurate either in a .270...this may be that it's at the limits of stabilization abilities in the 1-10" twist 270. Just my 2 bits. Hope that helps.
I'm sure it will work just fine but I just don't see the need for a 160 in the .270 when there are so many great 130 class bullets available.

The 130 TTSX at 3250 will cross the eyes of any elk.
I'd personally go with the 150, but there is not an elk alive that could tell the difference of 10 grains worth of bullet.Contrary to what most read and many post here,most elk are killed at less than 200 yards, in actuality ,most are less than100yards.

Load them up and let the guy go kill elk. I'm not a fan of these super duper light weight bullets
Originally Posted by nsaqam

But will it dot the tees?
I've shot a number of elk with the 130 gr Hornady, and one with the old 140 TBBC. I don't think I'd go as high as 160 >> I'd stick to 140/150. smile
Vapo-I absolutely love the 160 Noz out of a .270. I generally run R22 and accuracy is fantastic, speed very good (2800ish) and it will penetrate like a 200 out of a 300 mag. As for the twist comments I've not seen a 10 twist .270 that wouldn't shoot really well with it.

Very tough to beat and way underrated, oddly enough generally by those who've not used it...hard to believe but true... shocked

Dober
Like a lot of Campfire threads, this one went a ways before somebody with real experience posted!
What were we talking about again.... grin

Dober
Yep!

I may just have to load up some 160 Partitions in one of my .270's for next year. So far the 150 Partition has always done the job more than adequately, but I need to do my 160-grain homework so I can also comment from real experience....
John, why switch when the 150 works so well??? It's kind of like switching from a 160 to a 175gr. partiton in the 7mm rem mag isn't it....almost meaningless....
"Why switch" indeed. BSA, one might question your loonyism for posing such a question. laugh

Happy Thanksgiving
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
"Why switch" indeed. BSA, one might question your loonyism for posing such a question. laugh

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanks grin......Ugh.....I realize that now. Happy thanksgiving to you as well grin.....but think of it this way, when I switch to a heavier bullet that generally means I switch to a different rifle chambered for a slightly bigger cartridge blush laugh. See I'm still loony....Phew!! wink
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanks grin......Ugh.....I realize that now. Happy thanksgiving to you as well grin.....but think of it this way, when I switch to a heavier bullet that generally means I switch to a different rifle chambered for a slightly bigger cartridge blush laugh. See I'm still loony....Phew!! wink

That was close. He almost had you... laugh

DF
Quick thinking on my part, wasn't it grin. Guys, bottom line is poke them thru the right spot with just about any bullet and you have a dead elk...right:

[Linked Image]

This one was taken 3 days ago and any good bullet from a 270 would have sufficed....
I have only seen them used on a couple of cow elk that looked much like bsa's...and looked over 3-4 more elk killed by them.But never used them myself. blush

Related question would be, if the jump from a 150 to a 160 in 270 has no utility,is this also true of the jump from a 180 to 200 gr in 30 caliber?

I mean there could be a difference in the location of the Partition and taper of jacket that makes them even tougher?...and that extra 10 gr of displaced metal has to go "somewhere",whether in extra shrapnel,or broader mushroom?

Just asking..... smile
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Quick thinking on my part, wasn't it grin. Guys, bottom line is poke them thru the right spot with just about any bullet and you have a dead elk...right:

Dead yes, but I also like to drop them on the spot so I know where to find them, and so he doesn't wear the neighbor's tag instead of mine. That's why i shoot them where I do.
It works antelope, moose, elk and deer.
Thanks one and all for the feedback....I have no experience hunting elk with a .270 but don't believe it can be much different from using a 160 partition in a .280 Remington.....and while I'll reserve judgement about that specific bullet with only one experience, I'm not thrilled right now.

I think for my own future needs a bonded bullet will get the nod. That said there's enough support for the 150 grain bullets that I'll not look for more than that again

But my friend in New Mexico is getting 160 partitions for his .270 this time.

I'll email him this thread
I've used 160 np on mule deer they work. I am dropping down to the 150np they shoot a little flatter.
According to my findings the 160 Noz drops 2.9" more @ 400 yds than the 150 Noz. Using Partitions for both, 2900 for the 150 and 2800 for the 160 which for both are real world to me.

Dober
The 160 has an "ok" ballistic profile, in the order of .430 from memory. I think most anything above .400 is about all I need for hunting.

It's still going to shoot every bit as flat as a good 308 Win load using 150g bullets.
I have used the 270 Win in various rifles since 1962. Have shot a pile of varmints and big game using everything from 90 gr Sierra HPs to 170 gr Speer RN bullets. It just plain works, on everything from groundhogs to grizzlies. The second largest moose I ever killed was taken at such a long distance I am embarrassed to tell anyone today. Let's just say I held a full body depth, from withers to brisket, over his back, and the game was over with a single 130 gr Winchester Silvertip launched by 62 gr of the old surplus H4831.

As well as my beloved 35, 9.3 and 375 rifles have done in filling freezers over the past 50 years, it is my very distinct impression that I have had more one shot kills with the 270 Win than any other cartridge, and 160 Partitions were responsible for no small number of them.

A ten inch twist barrel will handle the 160 just fine, and it shoots flat enough to kill big game out to 300 yd easily, with a dead on hold.

Ted
If I were to stretch things, I'd not hesitate to sling a 140 AB or 150 BT on Elk. No doubt the 160s never let folks down.

They ever get a good line up of heavier .277 hunting bullets, twists might be bumped up.

I ran 150PTs at 2850, not a max fps load b/c of powder choice, but they will plow a mule deer end to end at 250-275 yds from neck to hind quarter wink
I figure a 160 .277 bullet can do pretty much anything a 180 .308 bullet can do
If anyone thinks 10 grains difference in bullet weight is going to make a difference, I invite them to pull a 40 gr 22RF bullet,cut it in 4 equal weight pieces( check with a scale to see if each piece is about the same), and then convince yourself that the little bitty piece of lead in your hand is realy going to mean much traveling at 2800 fps or so. Even in bullet construction, location of the partition, or jacket thickness
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If anyone thinks 10 grains difference in bullet weight is going to make a difference, I invite them to pull a 40 gr 22RF bullet,cut it in 4 equal weight pieces( check with a scale to see if each piece is about the same), and then convince yourself that the little bitty piece of lead in your hand is realy going to mean much traveling at 2800 fps or so. Even in bullet construction, location of the partition, or jacket thickness

Aint you shooting 220 grain round noses out of a 30'06? you think that extra 20 grains is going to make a difference?

unlike most here I have used the 160 out of the 270 win on elk, and my dad has used that bullet for 20 or so years outta his..They work great.
I would have thought the extra 10 grains becomes relevant when you are operating at the margins. Under ideal circumstances, a broadside shot under 200y with a clear aim, I am sure the extra 10 makes no diff.

But under less than ideal circumstances, maybe it might make some difference. I don't doubt it certainly can.

The extra momentum might only be relevant a small percentage of the time. But the same could easily be said of the slightly faster MV and better BC of the 150g bullet. How often does that make a difference? About the same percentage of occasions, I'll wager.
The first time I knew they made the bullet was an article by Hal Swigget back in 1979. His son used them with great success for elk and black bear. All I know is the 160 NP is a great bullet in the 280 so can not see how it is any less great in the 277 diameter.
I have used the 160 on about 10 or 12 head of Africa game. It penetrated very deeply. If you want more than a 130 then use the 160.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I may just have to load up some 160 Partitions in one of my .270's for next year. So far the 150 Partition has always done the job more than adequately, but I need to do my 160-grain homework so I can also comment from real experience....

Well, I can't comment on the 160 either as I've never seen the need for using them (& don't plan on changing now) as the 150 has always worked well on elk & moose, giving complete penetration as often as not......yes, even on moose.

Here is a 150 that I did recover from an elk though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MM
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I'm sure it will work just fine but I just don't see the need for a 160 in the .270 when there are so many great 130 class bullets available.

I tend to agree with this. I believe JOC shot most of his elk w/ 130's
Well I never shot an elk with them but I did kill two moose with them up in Newfoundland, my primary rifle got damaged in transit, so I used a 270 with said bullet. Elk is not going to be a problem, or anything else you have a mind to shoot with a 270 for that matter. Here is what you do, work up a load then go shoot a dozen elk over the next 10 or so years. Then decide if it works or not. Elk are made of Skin hair, meat and bone, not Chobham Armor.
The 160 gr Partition is one bullet I have always wanted to try, just need to get a 270 Win so I can try it smile If I make a light practice load as well like a 130 gr going at 260 rem speeds it would be a great combo for hunting anything from small deer to moose for my wife as well.
Originally Posted by Yukoner
I have used the 270 Win in various rifles since 1962. Have shot a pile of varmints and big game using everything from 90 gr Sierra HPs to 170 gr Speer RN bullets. It just plain works, on everything from groundhogs to grizzlies. The second largest moose I ever killed was taken at such a long distance I am embarrassed to tell anyone today. Let's just say I held a full body depth, from withers to brisket, over his back, and the game was over with a single 130 gr Winchester Silvertip launched by 62 gr of the old surplus H4831.

As well as my beloved 35, 9.3 and 375 rifles have done in filling freezers over the past 50 years, it is my very distinct impression that I have had more one shot kills with the 270 Win than any other cartridge, and 160 Partitions were responsible for no small number of them.

A ten inch twist barrel will handle the 160 just fine, and it shoots flat enough to kill big game out to 300 yd easily, with a dead on hold.

Ted

when you ll have time we ll have to discuss about those 160 grainers now that there s two 270s at home.

all the best.

Phil
My only experience with a 270 win is a 130 grain TTSX on a large cow elk by my youngest son worked just fine, and partitions never are a bad place to be............
I've got a bunch of 160 NP's and am presently in a shoot off with the 150 NP's with the Kimber 84L. The 150's run about 2800fps and the 160's around 2715fps. The BC's run .465 and .435 respectively.
Now I don't know if Nosler has changed the location of the 160gr partition, but that is more important than just the 10 extra grains folks are mentioning here. The last cross section I've seen shows more lead forward the partition in a 160 vs. a 150.
Mule Deer might have an update on that or someone may have a cross section to show.
I haven't sectioned any in a few years, so dunno.

Based on some experience, however, I'll guess that a 160 Partition at 2800 or so will kill stuff (and probably just as well as a bunch of other bullets, in various calibers and weights) if one is put in the right place.
I am shooting these old 160g NPTs in my 270 Win.

Doing 2800+ out of my 24 inch barrel, they shoot to exactly the same point of impact as the 150g SST doing 2900+ fps.

This gives me a premium BIG big game load and a more general purpose load as well at a much cheaper price.

[Linked Image]
Damn, Bob, those things sell for serious $$$ to some collectors here! Especially if the box has never been opened, don't ask me why. But I am old enough to know they work real well....
I was lucky to get 3 boxes of the 160s and 5 boxes of the same ones in 130s, all of which I picked up for 25 bucks a box. Very happy because NPTs go for anywhere from a buck-fifty to two bucks a piece here.

They should keep me going for a good while. smile
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I am shooting these old 160g NPTs in my 270 Win.

Doing 2800+ out of my 24 inch barrel, they shoot to exactly the same point of impact as the 150g SST doing 2900+ fps.

This gives me a premium BIG big game load and a more general purpose load as well at a much cheaper price.

[Linked Image]

That's way past kool!

Dober
Damn it. You guys have got me thinking that I need to load some 160s for my elk hunt next year. I took my old custom Mauser deer hunting for a couple of days this year and resolved to take it out more in the future. I just gifted a .270 to a rancher in Colorado, and he was asking me about factory loads for elk. I think that I will play with the 160 PTs this winter and make him and me some 160-grain loads to try in our .270s next fall.
Originally Posted by NTG
Well...it will do the job, especially if you're planning on a close shot. If you're going to be shooting longer distances I like a 140gr Accubond or a 150gr hornady interbond as they have higher bc (or some of the Barnes options). The combo of slower speed, and so-so bc with the 160 partitions will catch up to you if your shooting out past 300 yards or so. The partition will drop about 32" at 400 with about 1340 in energy, while a 140gr (bc of .495) will only drop about 26" with 1480 in energy for example. IMO the good ol' 270 hasn't ever been great with 160gr pills, generally speaking partitions are a good bullet. If you do some searching on the web or talk to others you'll also find that particular partition is often not all that accurate either in a .270...this may be that it's at the limits of stabilization abilities in the 1-10" twist 270. Just my 2 bits. Hope that helps.

Have you ever shot the 270/160 Partition in any rifle?
Have you ever shot any game with said bullet?
I have a friend that tried to use the 160's but they just wouldn't shoot. He HAS however, used the 150's on 2 elk and a bison cow.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Well, I haven't but I read about it on the internet. What do you need to know? smile
I would.
Damn, Bob, those things sell for serious $$$ to some collectors here!.....

Really? Geez I have quite a few. I load them up and hunt with them.

Originally Posted by Yukoner

Ted

Good post.This is of far more value than a bunch of number crunching telling us why they won't work well....thanks for posting,Ted.nice to hear the real world stuff. wink
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Good counterpoint DD, I picked up a box for $10 at the Pierre GS last winter they were in the next generation box but still the old machine screw made 160 NPT.I have a couple of 270 wins but my thought was to use them in my 270 Wthby Mag. Only 50 in a box so a guy needs to hit a good load RFN. My Mk5 is a Japanese built sporter with a 24" barrel 1 in 10 twist ,superbly accurate with the 150 Horn SP with Weatherby brass ,Fed 215's and IMR 7828. I kept everything the same but dropped the charge to 69.5 grs of 7828 to start. My rifle did not like the load nor with further testing the bullet accuracy wise. I'll save the rest for use in one of the 270 Winchesters I have. I have absolutely no doubts of there ability to perform on game as stated by Yukoner and Mark Dobrenski, they have BTDT. Happy T-Day . Magnum Man
Haven't shot any game with the 160. Stocked up on some from SPS and was trying a load with Magnum. They shot around 0.8" from my CLR. Will try them next year on elk if I draw.
I just got an email from New Mexico where I shot my elk and then loaded some .270 Winchesters with 160 partitions for the ranch hand. His license was for the time ending the 20th of December.

His report was to have taken his cow with one shot at 375 yards. I didn't ask for more info as I was just happy to get that much ....the guy is a worker and not a talker.

At 375 yards the .270 isn't exactly a powerhouse but in this case fully adequate for the job and in this case the 160 partition seems to have been all that was required.

Wish I could provide more info about shot placement etc.....but this I can say....the man is now a "believer" in the 160 partition.
Vapo,

While I haven't killed an elk with 160 NPs [55gr 4831], I have taken 3-4 moose with that bullet. It works just fine but all shots were lung/heart neck hits where any decent bullet should work.
Vapo

But..but that .007" makes all the difference in the world.
Like a lot of Campfire threads, this one went a ways before somebody with real experience posted!

laugh blush

Never shot an elk with the 160's, have shot some problem hogs with them.....

Pretty much shot to the same point of aim as my regular 130 grain load and did not seem to drop much more at 375-400-ish shots on farm field pigs.
They seemed surprisingly efficient considering their shape.

They did anchor 200-250 lb pigs DRT, most were running away from us.
Originally Posted by VernAK
Vapo,
all shots were lung/heart neck hits where any decent bullet should work.

I'm with this statement all the way.....One don't really have to penetrate very far to get into the boiler room with this presentation.....
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Vapo

But..but that .007" makes all the difference in the world.

If you're referring to the difference between the .280 Rem and the .270 Win.....I think the real difference is the typical twist rate.....the .284 tubes are commonly twisted 1-9" and the .270 tubes are typically twisted 1-10".....and the faster twist allows for a 175 spitzer bullet to be used in the .280....something that just might make a small difference when the presentation is other than the broadside shot normally offered.

Most interesting was the number of cows I had to pick from when I shot mine.....there was (possibly) fifty of them to pick from and finding one offering the classic broadside shot took less than a second....not necessarily a luxury to be had hunting bulls.
Damn, Bob, those things sell for serious $$$ to some collectors here! Especially if the box has never been opened, don't ask me why. But I am old enough to know they work real well....

I have two unopened boxes of those in 7MM 140`s and 150`s.Plus one more box of each opened that I worked up loads for in a 280AI I had.They did not group very good for me and kind of got shoved to the back of the bench.
Surprised that all the while this thread was running no one mentioned they had them over at Shooters pro shop on sale for $14.95/50. They sold really slow as they started with 30 bags and are now down to 2 and it's been about 2 weeks. I was tempted to pick some up but couldn't find the need for anything else listed to help cover shipping.
FWIW....I have a friend that I've been loading the 150 hornady spire point in his 270 wby's. He's lucky enough to afford some really nice guided hunts and between him and his wife I can't count the 6x6 elk and bigger they've taken with that bullet. I CANNOT get them to look at any other bullet for their rifles. Plus they shoot like a house of fire in their Rifles Inc guns.
He finished up his grand slam of sheep with a 670yd shot.....although I doubt anyone can believe a $.15 bullet could do that!
use a good 140gn and hunt
Check the BC of the 130gr and 160 Gr NP and they are very close. SD of the 160 is comparable to a 200 grain 30. The 160 is an over looked bullet.
My .270 loves these, but I haven't had a chance to take game with them yet. I know someone who uses them in his .270 and prior to going mule deer hunting a couple years back, he tacked a target on a 12-14" pine tree to check his zero (I would prefer to shoot dirt myself, not trees). That 160 sailed right on through all that wood. A week later he connected on a nice buck at about 200 yards. He hit behind the shoulder (no bones) and the buck stubled about 20 yards and dropped. I'm sure there are a bunch of bullets that will do that, but if the 160 is the most consistently accurate in your rifle (it is for him), then I see no problem going with the slightly heavier option.
The 160's will shine if you need to make one of them hard angled "rakin' shots". whistle
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The 160's will shine if you need to make one of them hard angled "rakin' shots". whistle

Yep--very similar performance to 175gr 7mm and 200gr 30 cal.........

Casey
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Yep--very similar performance to 175gr 7mm and 200gr 30 cal.........

Casey

Yepper, now there's a man who knows what he's talking about.

Dober
The ballistic coefficient of the 160-grain .277" partition (.434) is better than either the 130-grain (.416) or 140-grain partitions' (.432) B.C. It's only slightly worse than the 150-grain partition's B.C. of .465. So, if the 160-grain partition shoots well in your rifle, I wouldn't worry about lack of long-range capability when it comes to big game hunting.

I guess I better state a caveat of what long-range means to me, which is about 400 yards when hunting big game.
If it shoots, the 160 will work. If not, try the 130, 140 and 150 gr too. They'll all work.

Alan
This bullet was always a sleeper in .270 caliber. It has been used a great deal on buffalo in Oz.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
This bullet was always a sleeper in .270 caliber. It has been used a great deal on buffalo in Oz.

Interesting.... cool

Just got some factory 2nd's in the mail the other day.I'm going to start working up loads this week.

Don't know if they'll shoot for shiit but they sure are sexy!
Bet they will shoot just fine, and they will kill stuff very dead!

Ted
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Just got some factory 2nd's in the mail the other day.I'm going to start working up loads this week.

Don't know if they'll shoot for shiit but they sure are sexy!

Yeah they are a semi-spitzer looking bullet. In all my .270's from the pre'64 to the 84L's they all performed very well. I usually back off one grain from the 150gr load (H4831SC) and see what happens. That might be next years "elk load".
© 24hourcampfire