Home
Posted By: fog tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
ok here is the deal
i bought a rem model 7 300wsm and i just dont like the feel of it so im selling it
i have a tikka in 25-06 and love it
i just want a big cal incase i ever get to go elk hunting or move to a state that allows rifle hunts
so im lookn at either another tikka or a savage package gun with the nikon scope
i dont like the accutrigger so that is strike one on the savage
the tikka is blue gonna cost about $570 shipped to me
the savage is ss with scope about $530
ill sell the scope off of the savage so it will net about $380
so pros and cons
accuracy- tikka is moa savage?
just for a basic safe queen the savage is a way better deal
im makn my desicion at 4 today
thanks
Posted By: gemby58 Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Savage all the way, they came along way and they flat out shoot with almost what every you put in them, dont like the accra trigger, well you can remove the lever from the trigger or buy a rifle basic trigger which I changed all my Savages too. Can even use the Savage as a switch barrel rifle and have a few calibers for it, and change bolt heads for anything from a .473 for standard calibers to a .532 for mag calibers and can even to .378 bolt face to a 223 or 204, cant do that with a tikka. Its take alittle more time to switch out a Tikka barrel than a Savage barrel
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I have both, and use my Tikkas more. The trigger on the Tikkas is good right out of the box, as is the accuracy. I liked my .243 Tikka T-3 Lite so well that I went out and got an identical one in .300 Win Mag. I did change to a pre-fit Limbsaver recol pad on the .300 and used Talley rings on it. The Tikka's bolt is so much smoother. The .243 shoots 70 gr Blitzkings with Varget under at a half-inch or under fairly consistently.

Don't get me wrong, though - I also love my Savage 110 "4x4" in .223 and I have shot several groups much under a half-inch...but I changed the strock, tweaked the trigger, etc to get there. I just like the Tikkas better for lugging around.

I also own CZ's (another good .223) and Remington, Winchesters, Weatherbys, etc. For out of the box accuracy, I know I can count on Savage, Tikka or CZ....
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
to me a savage isn't even in the same class. the guns feel clunky and just cheap. There is nothing tight feeling about a savage. the savage I had, had a funky metal tab that fit between the bedding pillar and the action. this secured the blid magazine in the stock. I thought it was a piss poor design and led to bedding absolutly needing to be done. The tikka is just a different class of gun. its tight and fits very very well. lots of people have great luck with savage. to me they are a clunky beater rifle.
Posted By: iddave Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I've owned and shot both. I could hunt with either the rest of my life just fine, as they both seem to be well made and both are notoriously accurate.

It really comes down to which feels better to you.

I personally like a lightweight rifle when in pursuit of elk, which puts the Tikka ahead of the Savage by a fair margin for that application.

DC
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
First up, let me say, I dearly loved the Tikka M55, in .222rem I had in Australia.

Only gun I ever sold & regretted, but importing to Canada, was more hassle than needed.

I currently have 3 Savages in my collection.

Model 11, .243 - no accutrigger.
Model 11, 7mm-08 - with accutrigger.
Model 99c, .308 !!

All fulfill a niche I need & I'm very happy with each.

I actually love the accutrigger !

As an aside, if you go the savage package route, I very much doubt that you'll be able to sell the scope for $150 ! They are $80.00 full retail scopes. I changed both out onthe model 11 package deals.

Paul.
Posted By: hoytshooter Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
none of my tikkas will shoot as good as my model 12s.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Savage by a mile.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I never had a Tikka shoot as good as a Savage, I have only delt with the Tikka M695's, the 3 I have will shoot sub MOA but nothing like my Savages that will shoot 3/8" or less
Posted By: Birdhog Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Tikka by a mile... And the OP is about $100 high on his anticipated $150 resale of the scope included with the Savage package.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I love my Tikka's, I have 3- just saying
Posted By: old_willys Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I missed up and should have got on the Tikka band wagon earlier when my friends did but I was stuck in a rut buying Remingrons and Savages. After 9 Tikka's I can say I never found one that shot badly, everyone was out of the box a good shooter with several in being Excellent. Plus the all weighed less than any savage I have owned, only my 700 Ti's weighed less but they went down the road because never shot as good!!!
Posted By: Mako25 Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Well, one of 'ems American made, and would handle gas from a blown primer, or case.

I'd opt Stevens 200 for 'bout $325.00, and spend the savings on an aftermarket trigger.

Either has the potential to shoot very well.

My .02.
Posted By: Hunt41Ram Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I have both and have no problems with either brand. Both shoot very well on the range. I would pick the T3 Lite over the Savage for hunting primarily for the weight difference and the bolt is smoother. I have a difficult time taking anything other than the Tikka into the field.
Posted By: rusty51 Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Tikka by a long shot
Posted By: fog Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
so the nikon 3x9x40 bdc is a $50 scope?
Posted By: iddave Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Which model? Only the Monarch line would likely fetch more than about a $150 used.

DC
Posted By: jwall Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
TIKKA.....vs....who??????
Posted By: djs Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
If the choice is between Tikka and Savage, I'd go for the Savage. I like the switch-barrel capability.
Posted By: RickyD Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Birdhog
Tikka by a mile... And the OP is about $100 high on his anticipated $150 resale of the scope included with the Savage package.
Agreed on both counts. Maybe not to amount, but certainly high.
Posted By: RickyD Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by djs
If the choice is between Tikka and Savage, I'd go for the Savage. I like the switch-barrel capability.
Do you switch barrels?
Posted By: srwshooter Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
tikka's and savages take up most of the room in my safe. being a lefty i was shooting savage guns long ago. both guns will shoot as goodas most anything on the market.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
I'll take Savage......
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Did you make your decision?

I've always believed that if you like to tinker, the Savage is a DIYer's dream. Screw on, easily headspaced barrels, simple triggers to adjust or replace and a growing list of aftermarket goodies.

If you want something that shoots right out of the box - no replacement trigger or stock needed - then Tikkas are the only way to go. Tikkas have buttery smooth bolts and the best factory barrels.

Almost every one of my bolt guns is one or the other.

And the winner is?
Posted By: savage62 Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Well u have a lot of news here . My self it would be a Savage all the way . But I am not u ,the money saving along would be enought for me .If I did not like the scope, the trigger I would buy a Stevens 200 or a Axis .Then but what scope u want the trigger u want an you woyld have what u want
Posted By: lovesomeshootin Re: tikka vs savage - 01/16/13
Do I really need to say it!
Posted By: Whiptail Re: tikka vs savage - 01/17/13

I like both but for elk hunting I'd go with the lightweight stainless Tikka.
Posted By: fog Re: tikka vs savage - 01/17/13
well,,,,tikka is the winner
i thought the nikon scope was worth more than 50 bucks so with taking that into consideration the difference isnt as much
tikka it is
i want a dbm gun or the stevens is a good chouce as a build not a fan of the axis cause of the weight nd bulkines feel
thanks all
Posted By: fog Re: tikka vs savage - 01/17/13
now the scope,,,do i keep the burris 30mm 4x14 mil ballistic plex or get a ??
Posted By: AussieLad Re: tikka vs savage - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
First up, let me say, I dearly loved the Tikka M55, in .222rem I had in Australia.

Only gun I ever sold & regretted, but importing to Canada, was more hassle than needed.

Paul.

Hey Paul,

recently purchased an M55 in 222rem. Shoots beautifully, and very glad I bought it after a fair amount of deliberation.

Didn't happen to part with it in South Australia before you departed our shores did you?

Regards,
Troy.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: tikka vs savage - 01/17/13
G'day Troy,

Sold mine in Brisbane !!

Super accurate & a fantastic varmint rifle.

Mate, if my memory serves me, it loved 24.7gr(?) of w748 & the 50gr Sierra blitz. Totally devastating on rabbits & crows, but pelt friendly on fox size critters !!

Good luck & great shooting.

sick

Paul.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: tikka vs savage - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by fog
well,,,,tikka is the winner
i thought the nikon scope was worth more than 50 bucks so with taking that into consideration the difference isnt as much
tikka it is
i want a dbm gun or the stevens is a good chouce as a build not a fan of the axis cause of the weight nd bulkines feel
thanks all

You wouldn't have lost either way. smile Congratulations, Tikkas are smooth guns.
Posted By: magnumb Re: tikka vs savage - 01/19/13
I have 2 Tikka T-3's in 300 WSM (son and I). I've taken several elk with my 300 WSM T-3 and will likely continue to use this combination throughout my remaining years on elk.

I also have a 25-06 in a T-3 and feel the same way as you do about it. Many blacktail bucks have fallen to this particular T-3.

Tikka's are reliable, inexpensive, most shoot exceptionally well right of the box and are lightweight, to boot.

Tough to find much fault with success and good experiences, so I'm feelin' very comfortable in regards to rifle and cartridge choices these last several years. That's saying a lot 'cuz after 40 years of buying, selling and using most firearms out there as most other 'loonies' here have, settling down with any one particular make or model firearm isn't easy to do.

For me, Tikka made that choice so much easier.

YMMV
© 24hourcampfire