Home
Posted By: sidepass moving a gun collection - 03/07/13
How do move a collection of around 100 long guns? a case per or carefully wrap and stack in a Knack box or 3 ? do you have a new safe ready where your going, or do you move your safe and the items at the same time. Thinking about a move and want to secure my collection durning the process. Naturally would want the fewest people aware of my collection.
Been a long time since I moved furniture, but we preferred the client move collectibles that aren't easily replaceable themselves. The collectables usually required a special (read expensive) rider if we did it.

I personally would wrap and stack in a hard box separating them with packaging material.

Moving a safe may be cost prohibitive. Not only will you run into the usual charge of pound/mile, but you will get hit with a special handling fee like if it is a piano.
Just curious. What amount extra to move gun safe? Wouldn't want to leave a $2500+ safe behind if not absolutely necessary.

Ron
Posted By: Mako25 Re: moving a gun collection - 03/07/13
Many areas require firearms to be completely encased while in a vehicle. I'd know what the laws were before transporting.

'Til recently, if you had a firearm in a vehicle in WI, that wasn't 100% cased, you were subject to fine, and/or confiscation.
Having a hole worn through a case, or a broken zipper, or any infraction, put alot of firearms in the annual DNR auction.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: moving a gun collection - 03/07/13
I was once moved by my company when I was transferred and the company they used was a very very top level company that moved executives (which I was NOT). They were so complete that you just walked out of the house and they literally packed everything. At the other end they assembled everything and you just moved in. The one single item they would not touch were any firearms at all. You were left to do that yourself. Absolutely the most troublefree move I have ever made, but I packed and moved my guns myself. They DID move mine and my son's bows and arrows though.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: moving a gun collection - 03/07/13
5 years ago I moved into a new house. The first thing out was the safe. First thing in the new house was the safe. Cost me 350.00 to have a 750 lb. safe moved. They have this nifty machine for moving them things. No back work involved. Since the alarm had already been installed, the second thing in the house was the firearms. Backed into an empty garage, closed the door and unloaded.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: moving a gun collection - 03/08/13
I would never put any of my firearms at the mercy of a moving company. I spent 20 years in the military and whenever I made a move if it was from a stateside location to another stateside location I moved the firearms myself. When I went overseas my firearms were transported by me to my parent's house or later to a relative of my choice. When returning from overseas I would mail any long guns that I'd acquired to myself at a stateside address and hand carry, per ATF regs, my handguns. Its been my experience for 40 years or so that handguns in properly secured checked air baggage aren't a problem. For what its worth, and since its free its worth every penny that you paid for it, move your firearms yourself. If that doesn't work for you then make sure that you have proper insurance. You may well need it when you arrive at your new home and your firearms don't.
Posted By: pointer Re: moving a gun collection - 03/08/13
All my stuff was moved by a moving company 2yrs ago, including my long guns. They wouldn't move my ammo, powder, or handguns. They double wrapped the firearms in paper and stood them on end in a clothing box that was marked "Sporting Goods - Golf Clubs". The box was sealed with a seal that I signed. I had to record all the firearms, their serial numbers, and their approximate replacement value for the movers and I kept a copy. They were delivered to my house with all my other stuff. I'd have no problem doing it this way again.
Posted By: antlers Re: moving a gun collection - 03/08/13
For the long guns that I didn't have cases for, I wrapped each long gun well and tight in those padded blankets from the same place I rented the truck from, and then secured the loose ends with clear packing tape. I simply put a bunch of em' in those wardrobe boxes...filled em' up...and taped the boxes shut with clear packing tape. Then I moved the boxes easily with a dolly. It worked very well and was a good way to move a bunch of long guns.
Posted By: RufusG Re: moving a gun collection - 03/08/13
I've moved cross-country three times since 2004. Both of these methods worked fine:
1. Pack safe tight with guns in cases and boxes. Have moving company move safe.
2. Pack large wardrobe box tight with guns in cases and boxes, extra padding as necessary. Have moving company move box.
I had no issues any of the three times. Of course a detailed inventory and pics in your hands is a good idea.
Originally Posted by pointer
All my stuff was moved by a moving company 2yrs ago, including my long guns. They wouldn't move my ammo, powder, or handguns. They double wrapped the firearms in paper and stood them on end in a clothing box that was marked "Sporting Goods - Golf Clubs". The box was sealed with a seal that I signed. I had to record all the firearms, their serial numbers, and their approximate replacement value for the movers and I kept a copy. They were delivered to my house with all my other stuff. I'd have no problem doing it this way again.

There wasn't any box seal to sign, but otherwise my experience was the same as Pointer's. Over the course of the packing, I got to know the moving crew to some extent, and I trusted them (three good ol' boys from Kentucky that are contracted to do moves around the country by a major national company - the leader of the crew owned his own truck and moving company, and his company is contracted for the moves). Even though I trusted the crew, I did have a few firearms that I didn't want anybody else to move for a variety of reasons (sentimental value for some, other reasons for others), so I moved those myself.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: moving a gun collection - 03/08/13
A couple of things to think about, most moving companies insure your household good at a value of around 30cents per pound. As an example: a 10# pre 64 mod 70 with a Swaro scope is valued at $3.00.
They will insure it for a higher value, but household movers, like United or Mayflower charge extremely high rates for this, and such items must be dealt with by exception.
In a nutshell, high value goods in general, and regulated goods like firearms, should be dealt with separately and specifically, from your household goods.
All the pre-printed paperwork they ask you to sign will have large portions relieving them of liability.
Secondly, in the event you hire the job out, it is important to assure that the packing is appropriate for both the period your guns will be in the packing, and the environment they will be subjected to.
Have witnessed shipments showing up soaked in jet fuel, salt water, mildew, etc. etc. "I'm sorry" just doesn't do it for irreplaceble and/or permanent damage, usually due to someone taking a shortcut during the process.
In spite of what the sales rep might tell you, the packers and you are the front line for the actual packing & loading. Even the arrangements for the actual logistics of the move should be on the table.
Posted By: kyhunter Re: moving a gun collection - 03/08/13
I was moved my my employer several years ago and I moved the safe first and timed the arrival a our new home to be after dark and we moved the safe on a high quality heavy duty dolly into the basement.
The long guns were moved a few days later with the same after dark arrival. I did not have enough gun cases for all of them so I would place a long gun on a blanket and roll it up for several rotations and then place another and roll it until the blanket was all utilized. Tie the bundle and place in the back of an SUV with the seats laid down. The neighbors did not know what I owned and still don't!
My move was a nightmare due to miscommunications between moving contrator and moving company. Short version is our belongings went to a storage facility for a long weekend while we lived out of suitcases in a hotel near the new home.
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: moving a gun collection - 03/09/13
I have a buddy who moved cross country from Montana to Florida and did it himself in a U-Haul. The last thing he loaded on the back of the truck was his safe. He loaded the safe, packed it with blankets to keep the guns from shifting, shut the safe, shut the door and moved. First thing in Fla off the back of the truck into the garage was a safe full of guns. Everythng made the trip just fine.
Posted By: LDHunter Re: moving a gun collection - 03/15/13
I have a friend that owns a moving company and the only people that they can get to work for them usually have criminal records.

He tells me this is very common in the moving industry.

Do you want your guns handled and/or moved by ex cons? Do you even want them to know that you own guns? If they move your safe for you or even see one or gun (stuff) in your old place or new place you're moving to then you are probably on their list of places to visit later... :0

A word to the wise... Move your safe yourself with the help of friends and do it when nobody else is around to see it and keep your yap shut.

Safes only keep honest people out and most ex cons find opening one to be not much harder than boosting a car and they'd rather steal guns even more than cash...

Oh yeah... Insure your guns... I use the NRA insurance. I don't want my local insurance agent wagging his tongue over lunch about how much gun insurance I have.

If you've ever had guns stolen (I have) you'll quickly understand where I'm coming from here... It's not all about the money but at least if you're insured, you can replace stuff without dipping very deep in your pocket. NOTHING can make you like it though! <grrrrrr> It's been 25 years since mine were stolen (and YES I was insured)and I still get furious when I think about it. DAMN a thief!

Just a few things to think about....
Posted By: djs Re: moving a gun collection - 03/16/13
I've moved with my gun collection (about 61 firearms) several times. For the most valuable, I bought inexpensive zipper cases (check Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, etc.) for about $15 (see: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-48-Scoped-Rifle-Case/product/70552/ ). For military rifles (WW1 and WW2), I'd just wrap them in bubble wrap and tape it up. I'd then move the guns myself in the back of my station wagon or in a U-Haul trailer. This has proven to be an effective, inexpensive and theft-free method.

Of course, the distance you are moving might require another approach.
Posted By: NathanL Re: moving a gun collection - 03/16/13
When I moved I built armory style racks out of wood in sections to hold 8 guns each and screwed them to the floor of my cargo trailer. Lined the racks with lots of foam and had a bar across it to keep everything in it.

Made a special trip just full of guns.

Kind of like this but made of wood without the top. 8 guns each so I could unscrew them from the floor and unload an entire rack at once.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: djs Re: moving a gun collection - 03/16/13
Neat idea Nathan.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: moving a gun collection - 03/17/13
I used plastic gun cases myself a number of times. I don't trust nobody when it comes to things like rifles- especially if you have some very good ones. Put the best ones in Cases, and use bubble wrap for the rest, wrap the ones in Bubble rap in blankets, stack the guns in cases and cover with a tarp and secure it with tie downs so there is no shifting and transport them yourself. A small U-haul will do it. You end up with peace of mind.
I like the grey, fuzzy Sack-Ups. They are lightweight, but thick enough to provide lots of protection. They also breathe well, so they are good for long-term storage without the worry of condensation. They are a silicon-treated fabric that does not attract moisture like cotton blankets or sheets do.

When I moved I sacked-um and stacked-um in the back of the SUV. Good luck.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1446229397/sack-ups-gunsack-rifle-silicone-treated-cotton-blend-52
Posted By: Boise Re: moving a gun collection - 03/18/13
I moved last March. I laid my safe, door up, on the floor of my 7x14 box trailer, screwed 2x4 pieces to the floor to keep it from moving. I then placed my long guns in hard cases and placed them in the safe. Having run out of hard cases I then laid in a quilt and nested soft cased guns, and when I finally ran out of soft cases I nested in my least expensive guns in more quilts. I built false walls of plywood inside the trailer, screwed a sheet of plywood to each mount and screwed them to the wall. Learned I needed my pry bar to open the safe door. Here's how it finally looked:
[Linked Image]

If I didn't have a trailer I would buy one, move, and then sell it.
Nicely done, Sir.
Posted By: LDHunter Re: moving a gun collection - 03/20/13
Boise,

Sweeeeeet... A rolling trophy room... LOL

Bob
© 24hourcampfire