Home
Posted By: chesterwy Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
I have an opportunity to buy a remington 700 mountain rifle in 260 remington. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with one and what you think the approximate value is? He is asking $500
Better buy it!
If it ain't beat to hell, I'd jump on it!

Is it a DM?

FC
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
If it ain't beat to hell, I'd jump on it!

Is it a DM?

FC

I almost asked if it was dbm, but at that price it doesn't really matter wink
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
It is detachable magazine. You can tell its been hunted, but its not beat up by any stretch.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
Buy it. Now.
Posted By: Clay Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
Don't think, don't ask, Buy It.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
Buy it
Posted By: ribka Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
The y want $950 with a luepold MX 8 here.

$600 good deal
It's my dad who has it. I will pick it up from him this weekend. Lets talk scopes that will really bring it together. I am thinking leupold vx3 2.5-8. What say you?
Posted By: johnfox Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I am thinking leupold vx3 2.5-8. What say you?

Perfect.
Posted By: Woodtick Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
My wife shoots that same rifle, it has a 3.5x10-40 Leup VX3 and she loves it. I like the idea of a 2.5-8 though!
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13

Buy it .... NOW.

With God,

Steve

Posted By: gerry35 Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
Sounds like a great buy for $500, I would also think about a 6X42, the 2.5-8X36 is one of the nicest scopes they make and a good match for a 260 Rem. The 1 in 9 twist they have on them will stabilize all but the very longest of 6.5 mm slugs. Nice buy.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
It's my dad who has it. I will pick it up from him this weekend. Lets talk scopes that will really bring it together. I am thinking leupold vx3 2.5-8. What say you?

That's what's on my 7-08 MR. It's a nice match. If you've not yet used Talley LW's- this is the time! smile

A Swaro Z3 3-9x36 would be nice too, I bet, but a lot more money. I've got the next size up on a Kimber and it is a heck of a riflescope.

That, or a FXII 6x36. And I ain't even a Leupold guy.

Then, take your Dad out for a NICE meal!

FC
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13

My favorite 700 of all time. 2.8-8 is perfection on it.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
Click the "Buy it Now" button !!
Going with Talley's and VX3 2.5-8. Lets talk load development. I am a big fan of barnes TTSX. 120 grainers?
Posted By: Buckskin Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/21/13
While I'm no fan of the .260, even I would buy this in a heartbeat!

As far as a scope for it goes, either the Leupold 2x7. or the 2.5x8 would work for me (and does on my two .280 Mt rifles.

Either case, you'll love that one!!

Respects,

Richard
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
Going with Talley's and VX3 2.5-8. Lets talk load development. I am a big fan of barnes TTSX. 120 grainers?

I haven't worked very much with Barnes in the 260 Rem but with other bullets IMR 4350 and H 4350 are hard to beat IMO. My current 260 has been doing very well with H 4350 and 140's going to use it as well for the 120-130 gr bullets as well. There are lots of other great powders for the 260.
Posted By: riverdog Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
Honest question. I've got a couple of these....30/06 DBM and a regular 7x57. I like them and everything but why do people rave about them so much?
Light weight, great handling, look good with the walnut stock. What's not to like. Mine is a 6.5x257AI. I really like the 129gr Hornadys, and 140gr Bergers aren't anything to sneeze at, either. 2-7 VXII on top, but the 2.5-8 or the straight 6 FXII would be equally at home.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
I too have one in 270. I think it is because with the mtn rifle especially the older blue walnut it is one of the few truly lightweight classic stocked rifles available ie they are beautiful. Lets face it many of the other offerings out there have sort of chunky overweight stocks and while the lighter weight barrel of the mtn rifle may heat up faster than a std weight barrel for hunting that is pretty moot as more than 1-2 shots at a big game animal is rarely offered. So basically other than some of the Montana's by Kimberly and some of the other higher end mfg. it is the only classic stocked lightweight out there . Yes there is the model 70 fwt but some prefer the checkering style of the Remington and some prefer the forend treatment. I like both but prefer the Remington
Posted By: Teeder Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
Originally Posted by johnfox

Perfect.

+1!
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
It's in my possession now. Pretty nice little rifle. Got a set of talley lows on order. And have a 2.5-8 ready to go when they arrive.
Posted By: AJD Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
It's in my possession now. Pretty nice little rifle. Got a set of talley lows on order. And have a 2.5-8 ready to go when they arrive.

I have that model in that chambering. Mine is a go to rifle. Mine sports a 2-8 Nikon in Tallys. I missed out buying a duplicate in a GS up in TN about 6-8 years ago, and I have regretted not springing for it. I think you got it at a very nice price.

Good Luck!
I have that same rifle in the 260. I put a Nikon Monarch 3-9x with BDC on mine. First rattle out of the box, I tried 43.5 gr of H4831, CCI 200 and Hornady Interlock 140 gr Spire point in new Remington cases. Also same load with 140 Nosler Partitions. Both loads went 1" at 100 for 3 shots, and a quarter inch more for 5. I thought that was pretty good for the light barrel. I'm happy!
Posted By: Pygmy Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/22/13
When the Mtn Rifle first was chambered in the 260 Rem I decided I needed one..

Drove 2 hours down to PA, either Grice or Ron Shirk's ( can't remember) and they had lots of MTN rifles but NO 260 Rems..

However, after fondling that pretty little rifle, I just HAD to take one home with me, so I bought one in 7mm08...

They were doing a special on Burris scopes..If you bought a Burris you got free rings, bases, mounting and boresighting, so I gritted my teeth ( I wanted a Leupold fixed 4X or 6X) and bought a Burris Fullfield 2x7... Turned out to be a pretty good little scope, and the rig has been my main whitetail/hog rifle for the last 10 years or so..

The rifle still looks pretty and shoots real pretty with RL-15 and the 120 Barnes TTSX.
Posted By: AJD Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/23/13
My story is much the same. When Remington brought out the 260, I had to have one. I got mine at Green Acres in JAX. I didn't have the cash and had to put it on layaway and pay it off monthly. It's been a good one.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/23/13
I have a leupold dual dovetail and Burris 2-7 sitting here so I went ahead a mounted them up this evening. Just to see how it would look. It looks pretty nice. Having that scope may free up a little cash to put a new trigger in it. The factory trigger is horrific.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/23/13
They suck...
[Linked Image]
...and thin barrels don't shoot
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 16bore Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/23/13
and don't try anything past 100yds.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Monashee Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/23/13
I've never seen one of the .260 MRs here in Canada.I know the first one I did see was a .280 and I scooped it right there and then.Still have that one,but finding one in .260 would be sweet! Monashee
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Remington mountain rifle - 03/23/13
Monashee, I had one that someone put into a factory fiberglass stock, it was a nice little gun and shot pretty good the short while I had it. It wasn't a lefty so it went down the road, traded it for 2 Leupold scopes to a fellow on Vancouver Island. They are out there.
My buddy brought over his 280 MR today to sight in and shoot for the first time. It has a brake on it, but not a huge ugly thing, just a small one barely larger than barrel diameter and about an inch long. What a sweet shooting rifle! He has a steel Weaver 4x32 on it that moved precisely the way we commanded it when adjusted. Very nice setup. We didn't pound a lot of ammo through it testing groups but it definitely shot where we pointed it with factory Remmy 150s.

Wish I'd kept mt 7x57 MR. frown
© 24hourcampfire