Home
Well, my weakness has struck again...

With the bear hunt in May and my mauser-citis acting up again, my FUN-fund is getting pretty low. But there was something about this little -06 that was calling my name. I generally try to stick to pre-war sporters, but I couldn't let this one slide. So without further ado...

98 SPORTER

So what do you think? Any idea why there are notches cut into the shoulder of the barrel?

I figure, it's a good enough deal that if I don't like it, I can always clean up the stock, apply some tung oil, and sell her for a bit of a profit. But at this point, I don't really think that I need to worry about that.
Nice and unique. Just because your Mauseritis flared up a bit doesn't make you a bad person. I'm looking forward to hear a little more about this one.
Thanks Dave. I'm also interested. I'll post whatever information the seller offers.

Sheesh I was starting to think I made a blunder. 50 views and 0 comments..
Nifty little rifle! If I didn't already have a nice little 98 Mauser .30-06, I'd be very tempted.

Would have commented earlier but was out doing some dog training....
To Paratrooper,
Pics please!! Damn---Mauseritis is catching
Like John , I too think it is a tempting, and well priced, rifle
Thanks guys.

BigBear...there's a link to the pictures on the go-broke-er site. I don't have the rifle in hand yet.
Don't know that you'll be able to flip it, but looks like a worthwhile rifle to me!

I have Mauseritis too!!
Good grab! I admit it--I am envious!
We'll have to see how she shoots first...BUT, a gentleman on here recommended a place that will bore a .30 caliber into 9.3...hmm...

What a great little rifle. Here's hoping that you enjoy it for a long, long time.

Hey, of the hundreds of rifles I've owned and written about over the last umpteen-bazillion years, I've NEVER owned a 9.3. My friend, you should consider that. grin

Blessings,

Steve

Very cool cheek piece
Thanks Steve.

I don't think I'll be happy until I own a Mauser in every one of the traditional Mauser calibers. I have a 7x57 stalking rifle in the project stage right now. A 9.3x62 would do nicely on the upper end.
Steve,

9.3's are cool, as I'm sure Chub has told you umpteen times. I fell under their spell about a decade ago, and a lot of the blame can be laid at his door. They're not exactly long-range cartridges (though 400 yards is pretty easy with the right load and bullet), but they really kill stuff without a lot of recoil, while leaving plenty to eat.

The first animal I killed with my 9.3x62 was a British Columbia moose. Unlike many moose, the bull was down before I got another round in the chamber, from a basic heart-lung shot, but my Cree guide Donny Davis wasn't really impressed until we took the bull apart: "That rifle kills good, but doesn't shoot up meat!"
Neat rifle. While the stock design isn't something I would create for myself, it has its charms and I would definitely give it a second look at a gun show. Actually, what else can you get for $400 these days? A small price to pay to scratch the 'Mauseritis' itch!

I'm a lefty and like the era and love some of these classics and that is a nice piece. What stories they might tell. When I see a pre-war or WWII piece like these I always see the left handed sniper (though with a different rifle) in Band of Brothers working the left hand going over the scope for the bolt.

But, I digress. grin Very nice pick-up.
I don't think $400 was too bad of a price for it. I've seen some beat up Turkish Mausers going for $400+ on the web these days...blows my mind! Some people have delusions of grandeur. Anyways, I'm still waiting to hear what the seller has to say about it. He said he had a story...
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
Thanks Steve.

I don't think I'll be happy until I own a Mauser in every one of the traditional Mauser calibers. I have a 7x57 stalking rifle in the project stage right now. A 9.3x62 would do nicely on the upper end.

I could arrange the 9,3X62...for a price. wink

I like your new one! cool
I'd say you got a lot of rifle for the money. You should update us when you've shot it a bit. Understated elegance.

Greg Perry
I can dig that rifle!

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Steve,

9.3's are cool, as I'm sure Chub has told you umpteen times. I fell under their spell about a decade ago, and a lot of the blame can be laid at his door. They're not exactly long-range cartridges (though 400 yards is pretty easy with the right load and bullet), but they really kill stuff without a lot of recoil, while leaving plenty to eat.

The first animal I killed with my 9.3x62 was a British Columbia moose. Unlike many moose, the bull was down before I got another round in the chamber, from a basic heart-lung shot, but my Cree guide Donny Davis wasn't really impressed until we took the bull apart: "That rifle kills good, but doesn't shoot up meat!"

Hi John,

Several years ago, our common and crazy friend, Roger Roberts, bought a rifle that he knew Chub could not live without. It was a German double rifle in 9.3Xsomething.

Chub didn't know what to do with it, so he shipped it to me with about 500 Speer 9.3 boolits. The request was, "develop a load that shoots well, with both barrels printing at the point of aim at 100 yards."

Uhhhhh, that was a bit more difficult than Chub knew. Or perhaps even cared about.

Over the next three or four months, Chub's 9.3Xwhatever double rifle went to the range twice each week. I was working hard for Varmint Hunter, not that they gave a [bleep], and was at the range often.

Eventually, I got a load that shot as Chub wanted ... both barrels grouping together, on point of aim at 100 yards and shooting really well.

Frankly, I was impressed by the rifle and the cartridge. Recoil was low and it would really put the thump on beasties out to 200 or so.

The first critter Chub shot with it (without checking zero, of course) was a big bull nilgai on the King Ranch. And it was simply thrashed to the ground, most sincerely dead. Last I heard, the rifle had murdered many beasties and all with a single round. Heck, Chub prolly still has the remnants of the 100 rounds I loaded for him and included with the rifle.

Yep, Chub is a fan; if I was young again and running up and down the hills killing stuff, I'd surely have a 9.3 of some description.

Blessings,

Your friend Steve

Steve,

I'm familiar with that rifle, and how Chub ended up with it. Also familiar with the results!

I also have a 9,3x74R double SxS (which is what Chub's is chambered for), but mine was really easy to to get to shoot. In fact it will put two pairs (four rounds, two from each barrel) into 2-1/2" or so at 100 yards with the iron sights--which include a flip-up tang sight. That's with about any bullet from 270-286 grains, using the same powder charge, velocity about 2400 fps.

You still have that double 8x57 you bought when you were a teenager? I remember you were trying to sell it a few years ago.

Best,

Nice Mauser purchase, Fallschirmjaeger! Are you going to put a scope on it or stay with iron sights?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Do you still have that double 8x57 you bought when you were a teenager? I remember you were trying to sell it a few years ago.

Best,

John

Yep, I still have the double rifle and it is as beautiful as always; gold & engraving and all. I never seriously tried to sell it.

I'll eventually simply give to a friend who means a great deal to me.

Blessings,

Your buddy Steve

Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Nice Mauser purchase, Fallschirmjaeger! Are you going to put a scope on it or stay with iron sights?

No sir! It's hard nowadays to find this type of Mauser without 18,000 buggered up screw holes all over the receiver. I have enough scoped rifles. I think a nice simple and slim rifle with express sights is just the ticket...and it's what I've been searching for. ESPECIALLY, if she get's bored out to 9.3x62. That's one of the specific details that had been part of my search...a nice mauser that had a magazine already configured with a 30-06 length box. Should be quite easy to convert her over to 9.3.

~Jaeger
Any idea why there are notches cut into the shoulder of the barrel?

The only thing I can come up with is some sort of thread adapter.
The seller contacted me today to provide me the background on the rifle. This is what he wrote:

"The history behind this rifle is that it once belonged to Col. Thomas Mcneal of the US Army Air Corp who was in world war II. He was a highly decorated commander and often flew bombing missions from the Solomon Islands, eventually being placed in charge of all theater bombing missions from the Solomon islands including those against the mainland of Japan. He was forced to quit flying due to fears he would be captured and give up information to the Japanese if he was shot down. His flight log indicated that he still occasionally would stow away on a bomber just to be in the air. He had a vast collection that included firearms marked Property US Government and Experimental. I work for the auction house that sold his estate after he passed. It took 4 auctions to sell his collection�.most going to museums (Both military and public) with a few reaching private collections.

During the surrender of Japan to the United States on the USS Missouri, Colonel Mcneal was actually flying overhead accompanied by a squadron of bombers, fully loaded with conventional and atomic weapons, ready to go to Japan and release them if Japan�s Prime Minister refused to sign the unconditional surrender. This information was gained from his logbook and was relayed to me."
Thanks for post that... At least to me, that's a pretty interesting bit of info. And a rare insight into a bit of WW-II history...

GH
Congrats on a fine rifle! The cheek piece is a bit radical for my tastes but, I like everything else. The history of it is priceless.
Your rifle shares many characteristics with rifles made by the Manhattan Gun & Repair Shop that was located at 35 West 44th Street NYC.

They started in business circa 1936, not sure when they closed.
Great looking rifle, I like the character that weird little cheekpiece gives it! Definitely not cookie cutter.

Steve would love to see a thread about the 8X57.

Mike
Steve,

I could tell you were ambivalent about selling the 8x57! It will make a great gift for some appreciative friend.

I will also be giving away some guns as I ease into semi-retirement over the next decade or so. Will sell some to help pay for "slowing down," but some deserve to go to good people who've always admired a particular rifle.

Another thing I have to start doing is hunting more with my heirlooms, like the .257 Roberts Remington 722 that belonged to my grandmother, and the Savage 99F .358 Winchester that belonged to my mentor Norm Strung.

The 9.3x62 is a pretty decent round at ranges beyond 200 yards, especially with 250-grain bullets handloaded to .309-06 pressures. I've taken game beyond 300 with it, no problem--and it did the same thing it always does: knocked the snot out of big animals!

Best,
Hi Michael,

I wondered if you'd have some possible info on the rifle. Thanks for the information!

Best,

Originally Posted by MPetrov
Your rifle shares many characteristics with rifles made by the Manhattan Gun & Repair Shop that was located at 35 West 44th Street NYC.

They started in business circa 1936, not sure when they closed.

Have any pictures or more information? Thanks

John, the 9.3x74R is a very natty cartridge, and better in a DG. I've developed phantom pains ever since selling my Chapuis.

And, Steve, I would take very good care of your 8x57; you know, if you need someone to take care of it. grin
Falls, your Mauser appears to be a German Guild rifle.
If guys are giving out Double Guns, please put me on the list!

Originally Posted by Jericho
Falls, your Mauser appears to be a German Guild rifle.

At first I was thinking it was maybe a cigarette rifle...but the stock seems a bit elaborate for something like that. Also, .30-06 seems like a strange caliber for a German gunsmith...maybe I'm wrong.
I wasnt thinking cigarette rifle at all. I have seen some
guild guns that were outstanding.
I have to admit that I'm kind of ignorant on the post war builds. When I get it in hand, I'll take her apart and see if there are any clues...
I saw a custom Enfield 1917 recently that a stock very similar
to yours.
Thats a cool old Rifle.If I saw it a a Gun Show I would have snapped it up in a New York second!!!
© 24hourcampfire