Home
Posted By: rattler picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/12/13
and i thought it was pretty good but i like old guns, sure some of the guys that like the new stuff will find it sorely lacking....really like John B.'s mini bio on Warren Page....neat to read about some of the old writers instead of just stuff by them....
Posted By: GRF Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/12/13
Rattler; I think that you have said it very well concerning the most recent issue. Have a great weekend.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/12/13
I will have to pick up a copy. I like the older stuff too.
Now to wait 2-3 weeks for it to finally make it through the mail system to me!
Posted By: GRF Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/13/13
Seems odd mine arrived by mail north of the 49 before you would get yours???
Posted By: jt402 Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/13/13
I think they have a staggered mail out system. Some here usually have me briefed two weeks before mine shows. Jack
I'm deployed to Qatar, I talked to the wife and its sitting at the house. I just have to wait for it to get mailed from there!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/13/13
I very much enjoyed John's piece on Warren Page. I wish that there were more articles about the gunwriters/influential people in the industry. I am interested in what makes the people who influence my life tick - as much about the things that are not directly related to the business of firearms and shooting as those that are. I like to know the complete person.
Posted By: MartyC Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/14/13
Thanks for being "over there" Godspeed. Wahunterinrok
MC
Originally Posted by GRF
Seems odd mine arrived by mail north of the 49 before you would get yours???

hell i grabbed mine off the newsstand....usually im reading bout it on here long before i find a copy....odd that im the first to mention it
Finally got to read John B's article on Warren Page in Rifle. Great article and very enjoyable read. wink

I learned things about Page that I did not know,including the shear volume of hunting the man did....no wonder he won the Weatherby Award.H ereally seems to have done a good deal more hunting internationally than his contemporaries,JOC and Keith included....and those guys were no slouches. smile
Posted By: 65BR Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/17/13
Like the tag line, suitable for many others, 6.5s, 6s, and even dinky 22s wink

Page did his share no doubt.
65, contrary to what some think, the oldtimers knew their shidt... wink smile

I missed something,,where is John's article on Page???? I would like to read this...thanks
WCH it is in Rifle Magazine for May 2013,on the stands now.
Hey thanks..I will get it tonite if the mag. is in the roads have been closed for a couple days due to this winter storm..no coyote hunting, can't even get out for our turkey hunt up north and trip to Montana..hope your weather is better..again thanks..
Posted By: djs Re: picked up the new Rifle.... - 04/18/13
Originally Posted by rattler
and i thought it was pretty good but i like old guns, sure some of the guys that like the new stuff will find it sorely lacking....really like John B.'s mini bio on Warren Page....neat to read about some of the old writers instead of just stuff by them....

JB's bio of Warren Page was the most I ever learned of the man, and I read everything (I think) he wrote.
I think that the best way to explain how good JB(Mule Deer) is is how gracefully he explained Warren Page. Now compare his presentation to Dave Petzal's story about old gun writers in the May 2013 edition of Field and Stream.

I felt that I knew or could look a bit into the soul of Warren Page and appreciate him as a writer. I have Page's books and John does a very good analysis of him.

Petzal almost just wants to see how self-righteous and important he is. He never really gives a look at these great writers. He wants to compare himself to Townshend Whelen- I just want to say Dave although I never met Townshend Whelen, You sir are no Townshend Whelen.

Sincerely,
Thomas
I enjoyed the arcticle as well..
John, I really enjoyed the article on Warren Page. I didn�t realize what an accomplished hunter he was. I need to get his two books. It makes me want to get a custom Mauser in 7mm Mashburn Magnum, or a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm Weatherby Magnum or a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Remington Magnum.
© 24hourcampfire