Home
Posted By: gooselander Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/12/13
Hello guys, I just picked up a Ted Williams Model 73. I know it's a Winchester model 70 made for Sears. Does anyone know how to get the manufacture year from the serial number?
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/12/13

Seems the general consensus is that you can't pin point the date. I did find an inquiry into info for one with the serial #273532730 in .30-06. He was told it was a M670 Win. They were sold by Sears from 68-73 (w/o a # it would be from 67-68). Hope this helps.

I also came across this and thought I should post it.
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html#cross

Posted By: gooselander Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/12/13
Yes that's what I meant. 670. No floor plate. That's pretty much the same info I came up with. Oh well. It was cheap enough and it shoots damn straight. What else could a guy ask for?
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/12/13

EXACTLY. So enjoy it.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/12/13
Originally Posted by gooselander
What else could a guy ask for?

a Ted Williams scope to go on top of it.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/12/13
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by gooselander
What else could a guy ask for?

a Ted Williams scope to go on top of it.

And, some Ted Williams 30-06 ammo to go up the spout, in au courant gunwriter terminology.

The image below is from a current gunbroker auction. I hope the seller doesn't mind my posting his image here. If he objects, I'll remove it tout suite (to use a non-gunwriter term).
--Bob

[Linked Image]

Attached picture pix335764753.jpg
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/13/13
I remember it well , going in to Sears and Roebuck and in the sporting goods Ole Ted had his name on a lot of stuff! Some how things go screwed up after 68!
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/13/13
I have a Ted Williams 12 ga pump I bought new in 81 from sears. It is a Win 1300 pump, it originally had a Polly choke barrel on it but I traded the barrel for a win barrel with win chokes back in the late 80s.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/13/13
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I remember it well , going in to Sears and Roebuck and in the sporting goods Ole Ted had his name on a lot of stuff! Some how things go screwed up after 68!

LOL,, when I was a kid I used to drool at all the guns at the Sears in Newark,NJ. grin
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/14/13
The folks always knew where to find me! The guns and the little motorcycles were just across the aisle from each other, and that's where I would be when they got ready to go home.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/14/13
Western Auto had a nice rack too.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Ted Williams 30-06 - 04/14/13
Western Auto had a nice rack too.

Yup. GCA '68 killed all of that. Maybe not right away but eventually Sears, Wards and J.C. Penny's along with many of the other companies that sold private branded firearms got out of the business. It killed Herters who used to be a huge player in the firearms business.
© 24hourcampfire