Home
Read that the Ruger American has a barrel nut like the Savage - does that mean that barrel swaps will be easy?

I'm looking for a 7mm-08 or 7x57. Are there any commercially available barrels that will fit?
Not than I am aware of, about the simplest most consistent switch barrel rifle is The Blaser R-93 and R-8. But they cost a little more than the Ruger American. The Ruger American is a pretty good rifle for the money, buy a 270 they chamber for that one and call it good.
Or buy 3 Ruger Americans for the price of a Blaser barrel smile
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Or buy 3 Ruger Americans for the price of a Blaser barrel smile

I've always been amazed at Europeans penchant for over-engineered guns, cars, watches, etc. They make good stuff, but it is expensive.
I think they are already offering the American in 7mm/08, in the new compact model, so that ought to make it easier on you........................................
Your plan is to buy a cheap rifle (by cheap I mean price, they actually look like a decent rifle) and then put a new barrel on it and end up costing more than you could have bought a better rifle for in the first place.
I have an American in .308 Winchester, which has already proven accurate enough to hit 1-moa gongs at 1000 yards with Hornady 168-grain match ammo.

In my experience Ruger makes some of the best mass-produced factory barrels today. Dunno about how easy it is to switch 'em, but may try.
I gots to snag me an American.

Travis
They're OK!

As are all of the "inexpensive" rifles I've shot lately--or even way back in the 1970's, when Remington dared to bypass the floorplate in 700 ADL's. Had one of those in .270 Winchester that would shoot into an inch--at 300 yards.
I will probably buy one or two to fill in some "gaps" at some point.

I have read nothing but good things about them.
Yup, saw an American in 7mm08 at a gun show last week.......so they are available.
Originally Posted by reelman
Your plan is to buy a cheap rifle (by cheap I mean price, they actually look like a decent rifle) and then put a new barrel on it and end up costing more than you could have bought a better rifle for in the first place.

But what fun is that to a rifle looney? Maybe I want a switch barrel rifle I can do the work on with little investment in tools, or want to build a .260 AI or 338/06 and don't want to pay a 'smith for a rebarrel job.

The Savage is an easy rifle to work on because of the barrel nut. The Marlin X7s are almost as easy but some Savage prefits need a little faced off the breech to work on the Marlin. I knew when I saw the Ruger American that it might be another good candidate for the home tinkerer.
The spare magazine for the .308 American was a little pricy at $350.00. The hit to the CC didn't hurt as much as it could have because the magazine came with a free new .22-250 American.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have an American in .308 Winchester, which has already proven accurate enough to hit 1-moa gongs at 1000 yards with Hornady 168-grain match ammo.

In my experience Ruger makes some of the best mass-produced factory barrels today. Dunno about how easy it is to switch 'em, but may try.

Looking forward to the article if you write it. I am thinking that a 6.25# short action American with a switchable .358 Win, or even better, a 9.3mm-.308 R.Looney barrel merits a column. The latter loaded with 250gr NAB approaching 60K PSI ought be be an ubercool reincarnation of the 9.3x57+P.

The Ruger American barrel that came on my .308 is by far the easiest to clean new factory barrel I've ever come across. It is almost like it had been DBCed.
Looking forward to getting one or two - as soon as they are available in left-hand configuration, preferably in stainless, but not required.
I see their .308's are 1-10"...

Are the Compacts short actions? Or are these like Tikkas and all built on one action?

Travis
Local shops were stocked with americans as of 3 weeks ago. 243, 308, 7-08 ,270 .. Nice rifle at a good price.. 7-08 maybe?? But i would like something....bigger....
They have short and long actions.
Originally Posted by CBB
Local shops were stocked with americans as of 3 weeks ago. 243, 308, 7-08 ,270 .. Nice rifle at a good price.. 7-08 maybe?? But i would like something....bigger....

I see the ugly bastads all over the place.

Travis
Originally Posted by southtexas
They have short and long actions.

Thank you.

Travis
The rem 783 is uglier..
Originally Posted by Crowkiller

But what fun is that to a rifle looney? Maybe I want a switch barrel rifle I can do the work on with little investment in tools, or want to build a .260 AI or 338/06 and don't want to pay a 'smith for a rebarrel job.

The Savage is an easy rifle to work on because of the barrel nut. The Marlin X7s are almost as easy but some Savage prefits need a little faced off the breech to work on the Marlin. I knew when I saw the Ruger American that it might be another good candidate for the home tinkerer.

I can relate to that! Lord knows I've done enough goofy things that didn't make sense when it comes to guns.
Don't know about the ease of switch barrel capability as it has a smooth looking barrel nut instead of the notched Savage. However I have been waiting for a 22-250 version since the American came out. Found one last week and have yet to shoot a group that wasn't less than 1" at 100 yds. Last 3 shot group straight out of the safe measured .54". And it has a 10" twist that will kick out deer capable bullets at decent speeds also. It is a great rifle for the money-sort of like a reincarnation of the 788-inexpensive but accurate.
Have you measured the actual twist rate on that 22-250? I think you might be surprised......
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Have you measured the actual twist rate on that 22-250? I think you might be surprised......

How do you know that it is not 1:10?

I pick up my .22-250 American tomorrow. I obtained email verification from Ruger Customer Service that the .22-250 American is 1:10 so it will be disappointing to find that it is a slower twist.
Well I pulled a bore brush through the barrel this am and measured the twist as 14"-damn. I figure the 22-250 will stabilize the Win 64g power points and Sierra 63g semipt . I will try some this evening weather and time permitting. Don't understand how Ruger could have screwed up the twist information so badly. However I still really like the rifle.

Carbon12-measure the twist in yours and see what you determine.

UPDATE: Ruger customer service called me and confirmed that the twist in the 22-250 American is 1/14". He admitted that the web site was wrong and he was going to get that displayed misinformation on the 10" twist changed. Whatever-disappointed that the twist info was incorrect from the first.
I really don't think a 10" twist would have done anything fabulous anyway.

Travis
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
Well I pulled a bore brush through the barrel this am and measured the twist as 14"-damn. I figure the 22-250 will stabilize the Win 64g power points and Sierra 63g semipt . I will try some this evening weather and time permitting. Don't understand how Ruger could have screwed up the twist information so badly. However I still really like the rifle.

Carbon12-measure the twist in yours and see what you determine.

UPDATE: Ruger customer service called me and confirmed that the twist in the 22-250 American is 1/14". He admitted that the web site was wrong and he was going to get that displayed misinformation on the 10" twist changed. Whatever-disappointed that the twist info was incorrect from the first.

I have not picked up the .22-250 American ordered. Now that the Internet rumors of an erroneous ROT cataloged by Ruger appears to be correct, I won't be accepting the rifle. Somewhat disappointing. I was prepping brass last night in anticipation of having a new toy.

I suspected that DakotaDeer had insider intel but couldn't say it explicitly out loud.
Originally Posted by deflave
I really don't think a 10" twist would have done anything fabulous anyway.

Travis

There is that. However, the times I have shot longer, heavy for caliber bullets in a 14 twist .22-250 did not tighten any sacks either though.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524445

This thread will answer the OP's question.
I thought everyone knew it wasn't 1-10" twist.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Settled_Ruger_American_22_2#Post7670163

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._22_250_1_10_twist_ruger_Ame#Post7466553
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I thought everyone knew it wasn't 1-10" twist.

Not the first nor the last time to be slow on the uptake.

Still smarting on being scooped on the giveaway 9.3x57 Norma brass.
I'd kill for someone to make a 1-8" twist 22/250 but would settle for 1-9" (since many are doing 223's with that twist).

But unfortunately Savage99 must be on the boards of many makers. If that twist was good in 1946 then it's good in 2013.

People are SO afraid of twist, you see it all the time on the 'Fire.
I sent an e-mail to Ruger asking them to do that.

They told me to GFM.

Travis
They probably know you. smile

...not necessaririly;

Marlin XS7 (used) $250
Boyd's 2nds (overcut barrel channel)unfinished stock $60
Shaw prefit light mag barrel in 284 win $150
..my time..next to nothing
All in for less than $475
3/4 MOA with factory fodder
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd kill for someone to make a 1-8" twist 22/250 but would settle for 1-9" (since many are doing 223's with that twist).

But unfortunately Savage99 must be on the boards of many makers. If that twist was good in 1946 then it's good in 2013.

People are SO afraid of twist, you see it all the time on the 'Fire.

Savage has (or had) a nine-twist 22-250 in their BVSS model
JeffG, that may be the best looking Marlin X7 in existence.
© 24hourcampfire