Home
I just bought a Weatherby rifle from a classified ad in my home town. It is a Mark V of some sort, very light rifle. I thought it might be an ultralight, but it has black plastic stock, not a Medalist. Anybody know how I can tell what model it is? Can i tell by the serial number? It starts with a WB. The gun has a thin barrel, not fluted and it is blued metal. Any ideas on how to find out?
Settel down Son please!
op - take a few pics and post them. someone will know.

AFAIK, the Weatherby MK-V's made with black synthetic and/or fiberglas stocks were:

The Accumark, The Fibermark, The Weathermark, The Synthetic, The Ultra Lightweight, The SGBM & The TRR

The Weatherby with the black injection molded plastic stock is the Mark V Synthetic. It is the lowest priced Mark V, but still a Mark V.
If you say it's light, it's probably a 6 lug Mark V in a synthetic stock. They haven't been built for quite a few years now.

What chambering is it?

If it's anything based on the 30-06 or the 308 case it will be a 6 lug. The only Weatherby chambering made in the late 6 lug action is the 240.
Sounds like a mark V synthetic but they aren't very light
It does have the 6 lug bolt, and it is chambered in the .280 Rem. The stock is not like the Medalist, it is black and checkered. Not splatter painted. Barrel seems narrow. It is not Montana light, but pretty light compared to a normal hunting rifle. I will try to get a weight on it on the bathroom scale. See if it will read.
Originally Posted by Oakster
It does have the 6 lug bolt, and it is chambered in the .280 Rem. The stock is not like the Medalist, it is black and checkered. Not splatter painted. Barrel seems narrow. It is not Montana light, but pretty light compared to a normal hunting rifle. I will try to get a weight on it on the bathroom scale. See if it will read.

IIRC, the .280 chambering makes it a standard Synthetic or an Ultra Lightweight.

The Synthetic weighed 8lbs w/24', 26" or 28" bbl
The UL weighed 5-3/4 to 6-3/4 lbs w/24" bbl (only)

I did a little research on serial numbers, and one website showed that all rifles with the serial number WB were lightweights. Not sure I believe that.
Thanks for the input guys. When things slow down this weekend, maybe I can get some pictures uploaded if you think it would help. Would the stock have a maker labeled on the inside?
Using the bathroom scale, empty, it came up with somewhere between 6 and 7 pounds, right about 6.5 pounds. I then had my wife stand on it, then take the gun and see how much it increased, and she said right about 6 pounds. That is rifle and scope, no ammo, or sling.
Please post some digital photos of it
Sounds like a regular blued/synthetic 6 lugger...local shop had one in 30-06 a while back.

The stock is an injection molded part made by or for Weatherby.
Most people don't realize or appreciate how light the 6 lug MK V actions are, if you have a 24" barrel .280 6 lug in the standard synthetic stock ; it will weigh about 6.5 lbs. Put that rifle in a McMillan and you will have as nice a whitetail rifle as you could want.. This is my stainless 7mm-08 carbine in a McM Sako Classic standard fill, 7lb 1 oz w/ Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Diavari Victory. The McMillan stock TOTALLY changed the rifle's handling.

[Linked Image]
A few years ago I had a 6 lug Ultra Lighweight in 338-06....with a 3-9 Leupold in Leupy mounts it was 7 lbs even,....it's on my list of rifles I should have kept..:-)

Originally Posted by rembo
If you say it's light, it's probably a 6 lug Mark V in a synthetic stock. They haven't been built for quite a few years now.

What chambering is it?

If it's anything based on the 30-06 or the 308 case it will be a 6 lug. The only Weatherby chambering made in the late 6 lug action is the 240.

Actually, the 6-lug action is current production in "standard" (non-magnum) calibers. The 6-lug ultra lightweight is advertised as weighing 5-3/4 lbs. They are very nice rifles. Here is a link: http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/ultralight
If the Ultralight is 5.75 pounds bare, wouldnt it be close to 6.5 like mine with the scope on it, rings and bases?
It depends. Which scope, rings and bases.
The six lug standard action is also used for the 240 magnum as well as "short" action calibers by using a stop.
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
It depends. Which scope, rings and bases.
The six lug standard action is also used for the 240 magnum as well as "short" action calibers by using a stop.

Cruiser1 , I really like the way you did your rifle and I like the scope. Getting back to the original topic he has a standard weatherby synthetic 6 lug in 280. They weigh around 6.5 or so at least the 280 I had weighed that much. Should have never sold it total idiot for doing that. These actions are lighter then most actions including the 700 action and have a short bolt lift..great combo for a custom rifle and surprised more are not built on it.
My current 6-lug Weatherby is a Sporter model in 30-06. It has a walnut stock and non-fluted barrel and was advertised as weighing 6-1/4 lbs. It shoots extremely well. As far as I know, that particular model is not currently available. My daughter has glommed on it so I don't get to hunt it often. I really don't mind. Have also owned an identical rifle in 280 Rem caliber.

The Weatherby stock design fits me better than any other. I can stand erect, my eye is directly behind the scope, and the butt pad rests squarely on my shoulder. At the pusher's place...err, I mean "gun store", last week I compared Weatherby Ultra Lightweights, Kimber Montanas, and the Forbes M24B. This time the Forbes won, although the Weatherby fit me better.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by rembo

What chambering is it?

Actually, the 6-lug action is current production in "standard" (non-magnum) calibers. The 6-lug ultra lightweight is advertised as weighing 5-3/4 lbs. They are very nice rifles. Here is a link: http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/ultralight

They are currently built with the good B&C stock, they haven't been built with the injection molded junk stock and unfluted barrel for quite some time.
My current 6-lug Weatherby is a Sporter model in 30-06. It has a walnut stock and non-fluted barrel and was advertised as weighing 6-1/4 lbs. It shoots extremely well. As far as I know, that particular model is not currently available. My daughter has glommed on it so I don't get to hunt it often. I really don't mind. Have also owned an identical rifle in 280 Rem caliber.

The Weatherby stock design fits me better than any other. I can stand erect, my eye is directly behind the scope, and the butt pad rests squarely on my shoulder. At the pusher's place...err, I mean "gun store", last week I compared Weatherby Ultra Lightweights, Kimber Montanas, and the Forbes M24B. This time the Forbes won, although the Weatherby fit me better.

Please post a photo of it!
Originally Posted by Oakster
I just bought a Weatherby rifle from a classified ad in my home town. It is a Mark V of some sort, very light rifle. I thought it might be an ultralight, but it has black plastic stock, not a Medalist. Anybody know how I can tell what model it is? Can i tell by the serial number? It starts with a WB. The gun has a thin barrel, not fluted and it is blued metal. Any ideas on how to find out?

Black plastic stock, with a visible seam on the underside from front to rear sling swivel, is 99% a weatherby synthetic. They sold from $500-800 new, maybe a little higher.

If it doesn't have a fluted barrel( you said it is a std barrel), it is not a Weatherby ULW. I have one ULW 9 lug 300wby and had a 257 Wby ULW, and looked at several of the synthetics, owned a take-off stock, very flimsy and worth replacing.

Allen

The synthetic bead blasted black Mark V's carried a last MSRP of $1200-1300 and were discontinued in 2011. They did make a fluted barrel version(not ultra lightweight) version in 97-98.
The black synthetic's are one of the great buys in the used market, especially when you consider that a new Vanguard Backcountry is $1399! Not lookers but can be shooters(at least mine is) and can be nicely upgraded with cerakote and a new stock.

[Linked Image]
To the OP, call Weatherby customer service with serial number and they will gladly confirm model and age of your gun. Is it U.S. built or Japan? I bought the above rifle, 270WBY mag, so cheap it was ridiculous with plans to resell until I took it out and shot it. First three shots w/ factory 150 spire point; .68". So much for selling and it got Cerakote, new stock, rings and scope. Give yours a test drive.
By your description, it is probably called the Lightweight.
Mark V action with 6 lugs.
Standard and short length cartridges in a long action.
Mines is stainless steel with black synthetic stock.
I believe they came out in 1997.
Kreiger barrels. Mine shot 1 1/2" groups.
Around 6 1/2 lbs without scope.
I call it the Mini-Mark V.
Here is a link to a Mark V Synthetic.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345090642
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

Please post a photo of it!

Here is my 6-lug, Weatherby Mark V Sporter Lightweight 30-06:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Keahi
By your description, it is probably called the Lightweight.
Mark V action with 6 lugs.
Standard and short length cartridges in a long action.
Mines is stainless steel with black synthetic stock.
I believe they came out in 1997.
Kreiger barrels. Mine shot 1 1/2" groups.
Around 6 1/2 lbs without scope.
I call it the Mini-Mark V.

I just checked the box my rifle came in and it reads:
LGT WGT STAINLESS Mk V
The serial number starts with ASxxxxxx

I guess my rifle is different from the Synthetic.
Correct. The Synthetic is blued. I did not catch that yours is stainless or I would not have said it is a Synthetic.
They made a Synthetic Stainless
© 24hourcampfire