Home
Posted By: IndyCA35 Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/01/13
When I buy new rifles, they come in plain old corrugated boxes with the manufacturer's logo etc. on the outside.

I have been keeping these big bulky boxes under the assumption that if I sell the rifle, the value will be greater with the box.

Is this true or should I throw them out? I don't keep the rifles in the boxes and would not use them for shipping the rifles. Note: These are NOT the high quality plastic carrying cases that come with some expensive shotguns.

Posted By: smithrjd Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/01/13
I have always kept mine, along with all the paperwork etc. I do believe that having the box and paperwork increases the resale value. It really starts to make a difference when the firearm gets 50 years old or so. Believe it or not there are many FAKE boxes being made now especially for Winchester Model 70 Pre-64 and just about all Colt Revolvers.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/01/13
When I buy a new gun I take the box & all that pesky paper out in the back yard & burn it , that makes the boxes & paperwork of those who save boxes & paperwork all the more valuable. I try to help folks out like that.

Mike
Posted By: oldotter Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/01/13
+1 Tho I prolly live to the day I regret it. Nah!
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/01/13
I am 54 years old , it ain't like I'm gonna hold on to a cardboard box for 50 years waiting for it to be worth something.

Mike
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/01/13
I keep 'em not so much because they might be valuable someday, but because I do find them handy for shipping guns I sell. Usually I pack them in the factory box, then put the factory box inside another heavy cardboard box.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/02/13
I don't keep boxes for guns I no longer have, but the ones I have with boxes I keep those.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/02/13
For some reason I keep them. Often wonder why I have no storage room.LOL
Posted By: valad Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/02/13
hey 6mm250 .... Happy Birthday!!!
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/02/13
I've had to move several times over the years. I don't have soft and/or hard cases for every firearm so the boxes are ready made to protect the rifles and handguns during the move.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Value of Rifle Boxes - 09/02/13
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I keep 'em not so much because they might be valuable someday, but because I do find them handy for shipping guns I sell. Usually I pack them in the factory box, then put the factory box inside another heavy cardboard box.

I do keep most boxes for this reason. I also keep boxes that should make older, collectible rifles more valuable, like pre-64 model 70 Winchesters.

donsm70
With the exception of true collector firearms, I don't think the box and paperwork increase the value of a firearm, at least not very often and not very much. But I do think that the inclusion of the box and paperwork increases the appeal of a firearm to many people and may result in a quicker sale at a standard price. It also may increase the buyer's trust and confidence that the gun is in good condition as advertised.
© 24hourcampfire