Home
I watched the Repeat shows on History Channel Sunday and
was trying to ID the rifle used by Old Tom Oar when he was trying
to call in Wolves near his Cabin.A Carbine bolt action of some sort but I could not make out the specific type action.
Rich SINGLE SHOT on his Mule Deer hunt?
Marty had a Ruger 77 stainless on his Moose hunt caliber?
AMRA -

I watch the series and I've seen the rifles you mention BUT...

the only one I can positively identify is a Rem 700 that Tom Oar used but NOT necessarily when after wolves.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I think when Marty shot a caribou with that gun on a different episode I believe he mentioned it was a 338 win mag. due to bears being in the area.
Ive seen Tom's Remington but I was trying to figure out the wolf rifle myself. It looked to me to be a Winchester 70 Carbine, not many of them made.

I believe DL57 is right about the 338 mag thing also. Rich's single shot looks like a Browning but I could be off.
I don't watch that show enough to know the names of the characters, but one of them uses a Ruger No. 1, and I've seen a Ruger 77 and also what looks like a Win 70 carbine of some sort.
I've only watched it a couple of times, don't even know the men's names. One rifle looked like a sporterized Mauser, another a lot like a pre-64 Winchester. Nether was a "new" rifle by any means.
Thanks for the help!
Tom Oar is the Oldest man in the show that lives in
The Yak Valley? in Montana.
I seen him carry the old Remington FOR A WHILE NOW it has some sort of Bronze Medallion in the butt stock.
The episode Sunday he had hurt his knee and had wrapped it in a ace bandage.He took a OLD snow mobile and the Bolt action carbine no medallion this time.
I tried to ID the safety on it but it did not look like ANYTHING
I have ever seen before.
Thanks Any Way
AMRA
I think the single shot that fella used on the deer hunt was a Newer Winchester
I believe Marty was using an older Husqvarna on one of the episodes. I remember the episode with Tom but don't recall the rifle. I'll have to catch it again.
Marty's favorite rifle is "Bone Crusher" his 358 Norma mag.
That must have been the Mauser sporter that I saw.
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I think when Marty shot a caribou with that gun on a different episode I believe he mentioned it was a 338 win mag. due to bears being in the area.

By "Marty", do you mean Marty Meierotto?
Originally Posted by deg967

Looking at the glossier finish I think it's a Browning.
Yes, we mean Marty Meierotto. As I said, his long time favorite rifle is his .358 Norma mag "Bone Crusher" but he also uses a number of other rifles - including a MK X Mauser 25-06 that I sold him a few years ago.
I read an article about Marty years ago, but didn't make the connection that he was on this show until Phil mentioned "bone crusher". That nickname and rifle always come to mind when someone mentions the 358 Norma.
Any specs on "bone crusher" other than caliber?
If I remember correctly "Bone Crusher" is also built on a MkX Mauser.
Not gun related but does anyone know why the guy can't find his dogs even though they are wearing gps tracking collars?
and regular tracking collars also, gotta love TV
I saw Eustas using an SKS tonight huntin coyotes
Was just watching some of that. Seems theres so much danger lurking out there, that I'm afraid to go outside now. eek

Geez, you could have a griz or wolf put the sneak on you, get seriously injured by a hi-lift jack,or have to spend the night out eating a muskrat.
Also I saw an episodes a couple weeks ago where this guy's life, livelihood, and entire year's meat supply depended on him getting a mule deer...or else him and his $1000 Browning 78 would be destitute....

Or the one they call Tom, relying on a few crafts made from dead animal parts to stay alive....in his $250K 'cabin'....
This is great stuff for city dwellers..
Well at least they show folks killing and eating stuff...a hitherto unknown concept to most city folks.
Might want to read the Helena paper's story on "Tom" before mentioning any $250K cabin.

I've met some people up there and it ain't Kalispell.

I can't bring myself to read the Helena paper....
Originally Posted by ingwe
Was just watching some of that. Seems theres so much danger lurking out there, that I'm afraid to go outside now. eek

Geez, you could have a griz or wolf put the sneak on you, get seriously injured by a hi-lift jack,or have to spend the night out eating a muskrat.

been known to spend a night out in the wild eating beaver but thats a different kinda story.....
shocked
i seriously doubt your shocked, ive seen pics of your wife laugh
Yeah, but she's not mean, like yours.... grin
she is irish, what yah gonna do?
I'm gonna be scared of her...just like you! grin
Yeah, I know about the Helena paper, but apparently the guy moved to Montana 25+ years ago, and he and his wife built their home themselves, very cheaply. They never have made as much as $20,000 a year. Not the typical folks who've moved in more recently, with income from elsewhere.
Good to know....I'll bet the stipend he gets from the show is mo' betta! wink
Apparently he's gotten so many orders for moccasins and hand-made bows that he can't keep up with them anymore!
I love where the guy in Alaska either needs to shoot a caribou or go hungry for the winter. So he puts $1000 worth of fuel into his $100,000 airplane to go get 75lbs. of meat! Or the guy in Montana who's truck breaks down in below zero weather and he's afraid of getting attacked by a grizzly. I may not be the most experienced when it comes to grizzly's but if it's below zero aren't they hibernating?
Andthe guy from Montana is making more than $20,000 per year now just from the money the show is paying him.
I remember one episode where Marty and his wife were hunting and I think his wife was using a ruger 77 stainless synthetic. I couldnt make out that rifle that Marty was using.. Im thinking a mark x or something.

Saw rich with a ruger number one I think. Eustace probably uses whatever is/was free.

Marty is my favorite character...and yes this show is great fun for city folks to watch... wehter planned/scripted or not I really dont care...I just love it.
If you enjoy it that is what matters.. As ingwe said, it is great to show meat doesn't come from the store..
All of these reality shows are playin' the schit out of ignorant city folks.
Originally Posted by tuam76

Saw rich with a ruger number one I think.

No, it's an old Browning B-78; trust me on that.

MM
That's what it looked like to me as well. Nice rifles
Originally Posted by rattler
she is irish, what yah gonna do?

My bet is on you, I think you can lick her. smile
Originally Posted by deg967

I have seen the show a couple times and the old guy who hunts hounds and went for deer with the single shot seems to be the real deal, but then, late in the season he supposedly kills a deer (f which we can't see the head of- behind brush) and in the snow, then when he gets the deer it is in full velvet and appeared to be a stuffed prop.

Yea, browning b- 78.

Once I saw a guy pull a new one out at a gun range and it only fired on half the factory ammo fed it. Talk about pizzed.
the B-78 was 25-06??

It's true! When you go outside, because of the deforestation and humans building houses in natural habitat, animals are searching far and wide for food. Just last week, I heard about a guy in the village that got carried off by a polar bear or a panda bear. Well, it was some kind of bear anyway. We're seeing more tuskox and tigers too.

Also I saw an episodes a couple weeks ago where this guy's life, livelihood, and entire year's meat supply depended on him getting a mule deer...or else him and his $1000 Browning 78 would be destitute....

Or the one they call Tom, relying on a few crafts made from dead animal parts to stay alive....in his $250K 'cabin'....

I don't think that the TV folks would lie about stuff like that. It's serious business. I'm a styrofoam rancher. I raise "whites" - the white styrofoam trays with edible faux meat byproducts on them that you can buy in the stores. These mountain folks wouldn't be spokespersons for my products, and I'm a rancher! They're living on the edge and doing stuff that's far too dangerous for us regular folk to be doing!

I wouldn't be bad mouthing the television people either. Their research department had to search high and low to find those mountain fellows. Generally, they're too busy eating raw meat, wrestling bears and clothing themselves in tuskox skins to be bothered with your average city fellow.

The first mountain man I met was Fess Parker. I interrupted him while he was wrestling a bear. They were fighting over some food. Years later he gave up hurting those bears and started raising grapes. It's true!
Originally Posted by roninflag
the B-78 was 25-06??

No, 7mm Rem Mag.

MM
The black powder guns the east coast guy used were store bought blued....

No way did he make that from a kit, so it's all bull.

I'm more surprised at the people thy picked, vs the rifles they carry. I do like Tom, and Marty, Rich well the guy needs a new truck, Eustice OMG, Charlie ...
I would like to own Rich old truck!
1956 Willys Truck 4X4.
Plus his Browning B-78
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

I agree. It is not a Ruger #1.

Browning B78. Maybe custom barrel?
Originally Posted by AB2506

MM

Too bad he can't shoot the SOB worth a schit.
Originally Posted by AB2506

MM

No custom barrel; stock octagon barrel.

As to shooting worth a schitt, TV schitt is all contrived by definition, so you can't put any real faith in anything they show.

MM
© 24hourcampfire