Home
Posted By: tex_n_cal Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
...I have been working with a Weatherby Lightweight Mark V in .300, with 26 inch barrel. The loads I've tried so far have been 165 Bergers with H1000 - and my last loads were 88.5 gr, 1.5 grains off Nosler's suggested max. Results were so-so, and I've acquired more powders & bullets to try.

I also tried some Weatherby Factory loads with 165 Nosler BT's. Holy smoke these things are hot! The first shot over the chrono said 3430. The chrono is old, and probably reading high, and I'm about to switch to another one. Nonetheless there was a noticeable increase in recoil going from my handloads, to these factory loads, and I expect they do meet the claimed 3350 fps. No sign of any excessive case web expansion. I pulled one down and it had 86 grains of a short extruded powder on board.

Nosler is showing velocities similar to other manuals, so I am curious why/how the factory ammo is going so fast. Maybe they are taking advantage of the long freebore in the actual rifles, while people are using test barrels with no freebore?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
tex n'cal: That is about exactly the same velocity I got from that same 300 Weatherby factory ammo in the 26" barrel of a M70 300 Weatherby.

You're right...it is hot stuff.

I don't know how they do it but it must be the free bore, the right powder,and pressures.
Posted By: JPro Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
"About exactly the same velocity"?

We all know what you mean but you are probably going to give Mathman a stroke....... (grin)
Posted By: pointer Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
Originally Posted by JPro

We all know what you mean but you are probably going to give Mathman a stroke....... (grin)
Ha! If that post had contained some well rounded cankles it would have done him in for sure! laugh
Indeed.......
Yikes! That sounds like some stout recoil!
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
thick gals and fuzzy math is dangerous territory.

Geezus...(sigh) smile

Well OK if you guys want to know, and in the interest of not giving Mathman a coronary, the exact readout I got that day was.....3430 with the 165 BT. Exactly the same velocity texncal got.

But knowing the anal retentive nature of this place, I figured some butt hole would call me out as FOS for having gotten exactly the same velocity so I couched in general terms instead. grin

Sometimes you can't win no matter what you do. confused

This was 5-6 years ago,and how,you say, do I remember it with such precision? Because about 3 years earlier than that a 270 Weatherby with 130 Hornady factory ammo gave precisely the same velocity form a 25" Lilja....3430. So the number stuck in my head.

Chalk it all up to simple coincidence but that's what the chronograph said in both instances.

I never even bothered to chase those velocities from either rifle with handloads....figured I'd leave Weatherby's magic up to them.
Rest assured, we knew what you meant..... (grin)
And you are right about this place being full of buttholes. They can derail a thread in no time....
Rest assured, we knew what you meant..... (grin)

I know... grin
Posted By: LBP Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
thick gals and fuzzy math is dangerous territory.

The math is one thing, but thick gals are A OK...
Now thick and fuzzy girls are something special...
And you are right about this place being full of buttholes. They can derail a thread in no time....

Seemed like when I was a lurker, I found a lot less of the "...GFY, cocksmoker!" than I do now. I blame the gov't.
Fur is good.
Originally Posted by wageslave
Fur is good.

+1
Posted By: SLM Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
Originally Posted by pointer

Ha! If that post had contained some well rounded cankles it would have done him in for sure! laugh

Laffin', He's just to shy to admit he likes the thick ones.

And ice in his whiskey.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/01/13
They can derail a thread in no time....

lets get back to the thick gals laugh
They can derail a thread in no time....

lets get back to the thick gals laugh

This thread needs pictures...
Here is one of my favorites.

Denise Bidot
[Linked Image]
Here is another.

London Andrews
[Linked Image]
Good on ya boys! Can't say I'm a chubby chaser, but I'm certainly a chubby catcher!
She doesn't exactly make me think 300WbyMag, more like 450 Bushmaster. To each his own....... (grin)

Tex n cal, there is little I can think of that would be a greater carnage creator on a deer than a 165BT at 3,400+. Please shoot some stuff with it and let us know how it performs. I hunted a few seasons with a 150BT at that speed and things rarely went anywhere other than straight down. Exits were messy and coyotes looked like they had swallowed tannerite.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/02/13
LBP: london andrews ... that is good stuff. how bout some kate upton?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LBP Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/02/13
LBP: london andrews ... that is good stuff. how bout some kate upton?

Kate is great up top, a little lean down south but she would sure do in a pinch.
Posted By: LBP Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/02/13
More London

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by calikooknic
[Linked Image]

She is something special. 450 Bushmaster indeed.
Doubt there's any Bush in there at all! Nor this one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SEdge Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/02/13
I have fired 300 Wby. Factory loads that had the brass flow into the ejector slightly and cause a bright spot on the case head.
This thread is not exactly going the direction I expected...

crazy

I found some old (~1987) lots of 7828. try them, or look for 7828SSC ?

Posted By: rosco1 Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/04/13
Originally Posted by SEdge
I have fired 300 Wby. Factory loads that had the brass flow into the ejector slightly and cause a bright spot on the case head.

I've had factory loaded 30-378 blow the primers..180's @ 3500FPS is possible out of the 30-378 smile I like to use four dollar a piece brass more than one time tho.
Originally Posted by LBP
Here is another.

London Andrews
[Linked Image]

whale whale whale what do we have here....

MAN THE HARPOONS!

Someone get some water to keep its skin oool, you.. go to the marina and find a tug boat captain we have to drag her off the beach!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/04/13
Yes. Weatherby ammo is for sure hot.
I recently pulled some 257 W'by factory loads - they clocked at 3760 (100 grain bullets IIRC). App 300 fps faster than any load data I could find, extractor marks, hard extraction, heavy recoil. We reloaded them with a bit less of the powder we pulled, and my buddy decided he liked practice loads at slightly over 3300.

Mark
Posted By: 1minute Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/04/13
they clocked at 3760

That's within about 10 fps of what I got with factory rounds.
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by SEdge

I've had factory loaded 30-378 blow the primers..180's @ 3500FPS is possible out of the 30-378 smile I like to use four dollar a piece brass more than one time tho.

In my Sako 30-378 I noticed soot around the primer on the first shot, so I measured the case head just above the groove before and after firing the second round. It expanded .005"! That's right, 5 thousandths, and the primers fell out when barely touched by the decapping pin. I think only the soot was holding it in the cup. A new primer could be seated with light finger pressure. I pulled the bullets from the remaining rounds of that 95-dollar box of ammo and loaded them myself with Retumbo. I got a little CHE in once-fired cases at 9 grains below book max so I loaded the rest at 10 grains under max and they shot great. Ain't no way I'm shootin' ammo like that, factory loads or not.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
She is something special. 450 Bushmaster indeed.

That's Sophie Howard, and you aren't just whistling Dixie! "Special" is an understatement!
Posted By: Gibby Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/04/13
I like giv'n the "thick" to the gals.
I saw one Wby just like mine sold at auction recently. For about 1/2 what I paid. And I thought I got a good deal frown
Posted By: BWalker Re: Speaking of 70,000 psi... - 11/05/13
IME just about all the weatherby factory ammo I have shot leaves ejector marks. Norma brass is pretty soft though.
an update - today we had good weather for chronography - bright overcast, so I tried a new chrono.

I fired three of the 165gr factory loads, and they averaged 3410fps.

I decided to try some 165gr Accubonds, and Reloader 22, plus slightly different bench technique. They clock 3220 fps. Perhaps more importantly, I managed a couple groups under 2". We'll continue the process, and see what happens.

© 24hourcampfire