Home
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Montana Rifle Company - 11/15/13
Has anyone here done business with these folks?

I have called during their business hours and the calls to go voice mail. I have left voice mail, but have not received a return call.

Are they still in business? Is this normal or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks,

Ed
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
I have no idea, but the more I hear about this company over the years the less and less I'd be inclined to give them my business. Now it appears they might not want any.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
I have two of their rifles.Really good stuff.They will get back to you,have patience.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
Do a search on this forum, plenty of opinions over the last 10 years.
I never call, always email. I get responses immediately.

I currently own a XWR--SS in 260. It's a really nice rifle and an excellent shooter. I previously owned another in the same configuration, but it was chambered in 7-08.

I heard the knocks on the actions several years ago too, but I consider their current production rifles to be top notch. I think they made some commitments to quality a while back and things improved immensely.

They're no lightweight rifle, nor is a Model 70....but I think they're what the Model 70 wants to be. I'm speaking specifically about their stainless/synthetic rifles.
I have a stainless short action in .358 Win with one of their lapped barrels, stocked in a Serengeti laminated stock that is one of my best shooting rifles. It will outshoot my varmints rifles pretty often. I had Serengeti bed it in their stock. This was the "old" Serengeti stockworks. AS above, it is no lightweight, but still handy with a 21-inch barrel. I also have an Edge stock for it for rough duty.
Posted By: goodshot Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
I bought an action from them last year.....SSLA model 1999. I built up a nice 25-06. Here's my take . Delivery was on time. Action is very strong, rugged, and reasonably smooth. It gets better with use. It did not need truing at all. Measured very straight and , lugs showed very even contact, no lapping needed. Trigger broke cleanly at 3 lbs.very strong firing pin spring for good lock time. If your looking for a solid CRF action these are well made and you can build a fine hunting rifle. I had no issues dealing with them at all. I know they have a bit of a jaded history, but they seem to be on the right path now. Keep in mind these will not be glass smooth like the custom push feed actions, but they do the job. I screwd a #3 contour shilen into mine and she Will shoot 1/2 -3/4 " no problem if I do my part. Goodshot
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
One of the reasons the Montana CRF actions got a mixed reception when they first appeared is they were meant as a basic action for gunsmiths, who would do the final finish work and also modified the to feed the particular cartridge they were chambered for.

I have a custom rifle built on one that was modified by a competent gunsmith. It works great and shoots very well. Last year I also tested one of their latest syn-stocked XWR rifles, a .270 that worked perfectly and shot very well. As somebody already noted, the XWR's aren't featherweights, but they function and shoot very well. If I wanted another .300 or .338 magnum, they'd for sure be one of the top rifles on my short list.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to help a friend sort out some issues with a custom rifle built on the 1999 action.
It is several years old but was only test fired after it was built by another, nationally known, gunsmith, then it has sat in a gun safe until a month ago.
I'm hoping that MRC can help sort out the feeding issues.
Ed
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
Mine was built in '04 and if I remember right, I had feeding issues at first until I bent the magazine lips a little. once I figured that part out, never another issue. I've killed several antelope and a deer with it, out to 450 yards. 26" #4 Lilja barrel, .25-06 in AcraBond (Serengeti) laminated AAAClaro walnut stock.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/16/13
Mule Deer,

1. Do they make their own barrels for their production rifles? If not, do you know who supplies barrels for them?

2. Curious if the action has a 3rd lug like a 98.

3. Sounds like they have a c-collar.

Been debating CZ, Ruger, 70, Kimber, etc. MRC has a lot of features for a decent price. I don't know how I've overlooked these actions.

Jason

They made and hand-lapped the barrel they put on mine and I believe they still do sell barrels as well as actions, too.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/17/13
I just got an email from the CEO, David! Talk about working late!

We will get together by phone on Monday. He was very apologetic and was interested in getting the issue solved.

I will let you guys know how it all turns out.

Ed
I just got a call from Will Parker, the Senior Sales Rep of MRC.
He apologized for not getting back with me sooner and said that they are a very small company and that he was out of town when I was trying to contact them, thus the delay.

They have sent a warranty return form and have asked me to send the rifle back to them to see if they can fix the issues.
He told me that this particular rifle was serialized in 2003, so that tells me that they are willing to address an issue on a ten year old rifle that may or may not have been assembled by them.

That is what I call customer service.

Ed

They seem to be showing the right attitude toward their product, I'll say that.

Good luck!
03 was when the just got started. I ordered one of their charter issue actions back when you paid up front then waited about a year while they made them with your seed money, got a great action for a really good price.
I had them polish the action in and out, added one of their hand lapped barrels and then they sent it over to Serengetti for a laminated AA Claro stock.
Gun came out beautiful, and a shooter to boot. For me they were a great company to deal with.
I saw them at SHOT Show a couple of years ago and the product they had on display was very nice. They are actively marketing their product and seem to be running the business as if they are going after it.
I'm not too sure what all happened there recently.

Brian sold the barrel side of the shop to Freedom Group, or at least he sold them 49% of the company. I've heard it both ways.

There's plenty of other rumors about what all has happened there lately.

I do know that Freedom Group brought in guys to "retrain" the guys in the barrel shop, and many of them quit. A couple of them went to work at Proof Manufacturing also.

Brian and his son's attitudes have never impressed me, their reputation for "spotty" work is well deserved.
I have a completely built rifle from them. It's a one holer and the fit and finish was outstanding.

I put mine in a Pacific research stock. It's a beautiful rifle. A bit heavier action then the model 70. They made the barrel for my 25/06 as well. I think they are an excellent producer of actions and barrels.

Maybe a bit eccentric to deal with, but what "artist" or skilled craftsman isn't.
Had significant integrity issues with both Brian and his son.

They got pretty mean when they were called out for not keeping their word. I first dealt with Brian when he brought out his action at the SHOT.

I have never heard of anyone in the firearms business who were less trusted than those two.

Steve
So far, I've only dealt with the fellow, David, who is listed on the website as CEO, and Will. Both have been apologetic about the situations, rifle and communication, and both seem to want to resolve them.

I'm willing to see what happens next without prejudging.

I'll update the thread as things progress. If there is a company that deserves accolades, I'll give them. It things go south, I'll tell that, too.

Ed
Dan,

Where are you getting your information about these companies? Do you have first hand knowledge as to what transpires there? Do you work for one of these two companies?

Every time I see anything to do with Montana Rifle Company in this forum, you bad mouth them. Have you bought a rifle or barreled action from them? If not, then why do you continue to bad mouth? If you have, did you try to work with them to become a happy customer?

I have purchased two custom rifles, two production rifles, and an action from them. I couldn't be more pleased.
Steve,

Really, the two least trusted in the firearms industry? What word didn't the company keep? Are you in the firearms industry?

What were the integrity issues you speak of? Did you purchase a product, paid in-full, and receive your product? If so, was there an issue with the product and did you contact this company to give them an opportunity to make you a happy customer?

Just like with Dan, every time I see anything to do with Montana Rifle Company in this forum, you bad mouth them.
I have owned two actions from them. I never had an issues with the product. I sorta regret selling them. I can't speak of the people that run the company. I never had an issue to need to deal with them. I bought the first one cash up front and waited but the wait was only 4 to 5 months if I remember right. The second I paid for and they told me would be to my dealer in three months. It was there in two weeks.

The first .257bob I shot about 40 rounds out of. Then sold it on here. The second a .30-06 I shot a few hundred out of then sold it to my cousin. He is still shooting it and loves it.
All I know is, someone there knows how to make an AR barrel that'll shoot, that's a fact.
I have dealt with Will. Two years ago at Shot I looked at their LH SS barreled actions. Several weeks later I ordered a LH SS American ( I think they call it that) in 338 Win Mag. The gun took 3 months longer than originally promised.

Nice gun, I would purchase another.

Randy
I bought a few of their actions and , while the actions had some issues, they were correctable and I was well treated by the company. Ialso bought some barrels from them and the barrels performed well although straightness was not one of their features!
I kept one action for myself. I barreled it with a Smith re-bore chambered in 280. It looks good and performs well.
I've looked at some of their more recent complete rifles and they looked pretty good to me. GD
was wondering if they feed well with the WSMs family?
Love my 300 H&H mag. Everything I wanted and expected. Took a little longer that I hoped. So what , most customs are at the liberty of the smith. Whats the difference? Yes! i would do business with them again.
Originally Posted by yukonphil
was wondering if they feed well with the WSMs family?
They built the Model 3 for CZ in short mag chamberings. The one that I bought was one of seven that a buddy ordered. Mine never even hiccuped when feeding .300 WSM cartridges, and I never heard of any complaints coming back from the other buyers.
I've order two rifles from Montana Rifle Co.. Both were excellent. Had them just do the action & barrel & sent to Hill Country Rifle Co. for 'fine tuning', install/bed stock--a McMillan. One is a 338 Win Mag that shoots 225gr.NP like a target rifle. Just had a minor issue with the safety---sent back,
problem addressed ASAP, rifle returned & NO CHARGE. OUTSTANDING
SERVICE, quality rifle.
Have a MRC in an ASR .338 RUM and I have had ZERO problems with. Shoots great with a 250 gr NP.
I have a LH MRC SS 6.5 X 284 it shoots great now after I replaced the MRC Barrel with a Douglas. And chambered it in
6.5 X 284 Lapua. But it feeds well.
Something less than a recommendation.

When I buy a rifle, I expect it to work in all aspects.

Steve
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Steve
But it is an honest assessment, nonetheless. It all adds up...
Seems there were a lot of hurt feelers when they started out. Lots of promises and little delivery, from what I have gathered.

Lately, most all the reviews have been very positive and the half dozen or so I have seen look great. I would certainly give them a go.
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Steve

So you are a manufacturer that puts out thousands of products a year and everything performs flawlessly every time it is used for decades? If this is what you are saying, you can put all manufacturers out of business.

Products are designed to perform, but they are designed and built by human beings. Then what matters is how companies deal with their customers. Some customers decide that they are gunsmiths and "work" on their firearms. I have seen scores of handguns and long guns that have had owners who "knew" what they were doing; voiding the warranty. I know that many firearms manufacturers correct these issues at no cost to the customer, depending on the issue.

Also, you didn't ask what groups KK ALASKA was getting before changing the barrel. Shooting great now doesn't mean that the previous barrel was not shooting very well; based on his caliber choice, it may even have been for Bench Rest. Are you interested in details or continuing to make unsubstantiated innuendos? If you are interested in being involved in giving this company a black eye, provide all of the information (the whole truth and nothing but).

Aren't you going to answer the questions from above?

As for WSM's, I have an XWR-SS 270 WSM and it performs. Not one issue period. I've spoken with several folks who have their WSMs and no one told me about a failure to feed.
I appreciate Steve's input. Lots of folks have taken the time to post their good experiences, and there should be no reason that a man can't post his experiences with a company if they are less than stellar.

Originally Posted by kk alaska
I have a LH MRC SS 6.5 X 284 it shoots great now after I replaced the MRC Barrel with a Douglas. And chambered it in

Other than that, it just the way it was sent?
Bought rifle used MRC barrel, chambered for 6.5 X 284 Win. By gunsmith other than MRC. Had lots of issues that were not MRC related, about $500 spent, barrel set back and rechambered. Groups around 2" plus at 100 yards.

Gave up and had IT&D rebarrel it, chambered for 6.5 X 284 Lapua reamer. Not fussy at all now and less than 1" at 100 yards.

I had a lot of correspondence with MRC about rebarreling or rechambering, and did not have confidence in MRC to try another MRC barrel. Plus MRC barrels are heavier contour than I want, and they would not go with a lighter contour.

Action is great 3.1" Med length, LH, SS, controled feed, which is hard to find.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 11/26/13
I have two, one in LH 264 Win Mag and one in LH 243. The 264 has a Montana barrel and stocked by me in a HS Model 70 Stock and will group 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch with the 120 gr BT which is the only bullet i use in it and the only one i have tried. The 243 was barrel by PacNor with their SS Match barrel and Stocked in a McMillan Edge which i did myself. It will group 1/2 to 3/4 inch using the 90gr Swift Scirocco which is the only bullet i have tried in it . They both shot so well with the first load i tried i didn't see the need to go any farther. I purchased 300 140 gr Berger VLD Hunting for the 264 but have never got around to trying them . If you want a Custom Rife you could do a hell of a lot worst than the Montana Action . They make really great CRF Rifles . If you want a lighter rifle then go with the Edge Stock and the Montana SA
7x57Steve - I met Brian's son when I purchased my two custom rifles. I doubt he has any problem with someone giving an example of their problems they've had and am very sure he wants folks to contact the company about any issues in order to have an opportunity to make something right. However, if every time someone asks about that company you chime in and attack someone�s character for something that sounds like it happened 10 years ago and you�ve never given them a second chance ... well maybe it�s time to stop chiming in because now it�s your character that is lacking. I don't like seeing anyone on here (or any forum) with lacking character, because we all provide information to assist one another many ways and for the companies that read this forum, improve their products and/or customer service.
Originally Posted by kk alaska

I have yet to get a bad Montana Barrel , i now own three rifles with their barrels and all will group 1/2 inch or better if i do my part. The Montana AR Barrels are the best i have tried and wish i had purchased at least a dozen when i purchased the last two .
I have a M1999 in 30-06, I started putting together in 2004. The rifle is a tack driver, my only nock is the weight. MRC barreled actions are HEAVY. it Wears a McMillan stock, scoped and ready to hunt is weights 9.4 pounds.
Originally Posted by freddiemerc
7x57Steve - I met Brian's son when I purchased my two custom rifles. I doubt he has any problem with someone giving an example of their problems they've had and am very sure he wants folks to contact the company about any issues in order to have an opportunity to make something right. However, if every time someone asks about that company you chime in and attack someone�s character for something that sounds like it happened 10 years ago and you�ve never given them a second chance ... well maybe it�s time to stop chiming in because now it�s your character that is lacking. I don't like seeing anyone on here (or any forum) with lacking character, because we all provide information to assist one another many ways and for the companies that read this forum, improve their products and/or customer service.

No experience with MRC rifles. However, to call out another person who I don't know and say their character is lacking, would not be something I would do. YMMV.
Sounds pretty sweet now!
Yes shoots great now, I was done with the MRC barrel, left it with Dave at IT&D did not ask for it back. Did not know if it was the barrel or the chamber issues. Just tired of throwing time and money into it.
© 24hourcampfire