Home
Posted By: gitem_12 C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/07/14
I picked up that 7x57AI this morning. It appears to be well put together, the onky name i can find is on the bArrel and that is C. hottenstein. A google search turns up a Carl Hottenstein, gunsmith, Richland Pa. Has anyone wver heard of this maker?

Only Hottenstein that I know is Lowell and his son. They are very good BR shooters and bullet makers from Michigan.
Posted By: Apparition Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/08/14
I knew Carl, he was one of the best gun smiths in PA, my dad had quite a few 98 mausers sporterized by him, Dad always swore by Carls work.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/08/14
Originally Posted by Apparition
I knew Carl, he was one of the best gun smiths in PA, my dad had quite a few 98 mausers sporterized by him, Dad always swore by Carls work.

I talked to his son maybe tonight? I'm assuming Carl is passed on. And from what I have researched He was something of a name in the BR community, Anyway here are some photos

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]
Yes, Carl has been gone for some time now, I think over 20 years. He must have turned the bolts all the same way, Ill have to post some of my Dads 98, looks exactly the same.

Wow!!! thats a work of art!!! Very very nice. Im betting it shoots like a dream.
I am in process of assembling dies and what not

The funny part is. i knew the original owner of this rifle, and had hunted his farm a few times. He passed from cancer a few years back and his step kid traded this rifle in on a Ruger American. So after calling a buddy who was very good friends with the previous owner, i told him about the rifle and he said he was familiar with it and it was a one hole shooter all day long. Needless to say i'm a happy camper and hopefully can get things around for it.

I do believe a 4x or 6x Leupold and a Canvas sling from Trader Keith's would look perfect with this rifle
Let me know how it shoots. I must admit you touched a few heart strings with your post, been a long long time since I thought of Carl, can still remember him in his bib overalls (he was a large man) brings a big smile to my face.
Posted By: djs Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/08/14
Nice rifle in a great caliber!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/08/14
Glad to hear that the rifle has a home with someone who appreciates it like it deserves.
Thanks Joel. I took it to my 'smith today Nd we soent an hour or so going through it. It appears that the stock was inletted slightly larger than need be for the action. And glass bedded the full length. That seems to flow with the builder being heavy into bench rest builds back in the day.

The sling swivels are very neat, i've never seen them before. You push in on the center bolt and they detach leaving an inletted "cup" in the Stock. The barrel has been lapped and according to my smith there is zero throat erosion. This little rifle keeps intriguing me
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/09/14
That's a very nice rifle
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/09/14
terrific rifle, sounds like it will have an appreciative owner smile
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/09/14
Thanks guys. T&C yes it does.
Posted By: moosemike Re: C. (Carl?) Hottenstein - 01/10/14
Carl Hottenstein made a Mauser 30-06 for my uncle. It has a AAA grade maple stock carved instead of checkered. Prettiest rifle I've ever seen.
© 24hourcampfire