Home
What Rifle, mounts, scope, and chambering would it be, if custom, list specs.
Kimber Montana
243 Winchester
Lilja 8 twist MOD84M contour
Talley LW lows
Leupold FXII 6x
weatherby vanguard 25-06 with 3-9x40 leupold vx-2

would do anything i need to do
[Linked Image]

Fwt 06,

I have three centerfires. Two 30-06's, both made in 57. One in a wood stock, another edged. Plus a Marlin 30-30 that I grew up hunting with.
Well obviously a nice rigby would be nice but of the rifles I can afford I would probably go with a Kimber in 308 with a Leupold 2.5x8 on it . On the other hand my remington 700 mtn rifle is a really nice rifle .
An Echols Legend in 300 Win Mag with a 2.5-8X Leupold...
My 700 Rem. in .300 Win. with is custom stock and barrel..A Leup. 4-12 would complete the picture.....
For sheer practical, I think a Kimber 84L Montana in .280 AI with a Leupold 3.5-10X, fine duplex, CDS. It would not be wrong to go with .270 or '06 in the same rifle.

It would be very hard, though, not to go with my heart .. I'm a .257 fan so I'll say Kimber 84M Montana, still, but in .257 Roberts with a 2.5-8X Leupold.

If I could have 2 rifles one would be a .257 and the other a .338.

Tom
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My 1st high powered centerfire:

Mauser 1996 American
30-06 Spr
Montana Sling
TLWs
Leupy VX3 2.5-8x or FXII 6x 36mm w/ dots

I'm working on those last two this winter/spring. It's currently got standard low rings & a FFII 3-9x 40mm w/ BP.

Loaded w/ 168 NBTs & Hunter it shoots better than I can, though I can pop a water-filled milk jug on the first shot from a cold barrel out to 400.

Spend as I may on new customs this one is still the measure against which all my big game rifles are measured. I paid $359 for it brand new in '00.
EdM,

you need to add a little direction to your question. Are you asking what a person would use if he has the knowledge he now possesses or what it would be if we were starting with no prior knowledge?

Jim
I already did;
Kimber 84L Montana, .30-06, LOP reduced to 13.00",
Barrel shortened to 22", hooded front sight island folding rear, NECG removable peep sight.
Warne rings and bases,
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope, VX2 2-7x33 w LRD in rings.

If not that, my SS FFW '06 would go in an EDGE. The rest is done on it.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Kimber Montana
243 Winchester
Talley LW lows
Leupold FXII 6x

Love the choice, but is 243 enough for everything you want to do?

Not 260, 7-08, or 308?
Savage Mark II with Accutrigger chambered in .22LR, Simmons .22 Mag 4X scope, and a good sling.
It would be like this one, .30-06 on a commercial mauser, except Id put a Leupy 3x9 scope on it in Talleys�

[Linked Image]
It really depends on what it was being used for. We need a few more parameters.

Big game? The whole world? SHTF as reason for owning only one, or just desire to simplify? Stuck with it forever, or able to change later if moving around?
Montana 7-08 Leupold FXII4X
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Kimber Montana
243 Winchester
Talley LW lows
Leupold FXII 6x

Love the choice, but is 243 enough for everything you want to do?

Not 260, 7-08, or 308?

Any of the three you mentioned would be a tie for second place. Though...The 243 is my favorite cartridge.

I live in KY and have yet to be hindered with a 243 in hand. With the right bullet, I'd not be afraid to take it anywhere I'm going to go.

NULA 30-06 and a VariXIII 2.5-8

Easy. My early 1980's Featherweight Model 70 in 7X57 with a Leupold 2.5 x 8 would be the last one I would ever get rid of.
If it was good enough for K.J. Bell, and J.OC's wife, it would probably do to ride the river with. wink
Originally Posted by ingwe
It would be like this one, .30-06 on a commercial mauser, except Id put a Leupy 3x9 scope on it in Talleys�

[Linked Image]

Dang it Tom - I'm scrolling through this thread thinking 30-06 first, then commercial Mauser action... if factory ( vs. custom) - duh: Whitworth. Then you go and prost this - sheesh wink
If you mean now, like everything lost in a fire, it would be a LH Tikka .243 with a Leupold 6x36 in Tikka mounts but with better screws.

If you mean go back in time and start again, being lefthanded, I'd give great thought to a Remington 760 in .30-06 with a Leupold M8 6x36 if they made them 40 years ago, otherwise it would be an M8 4X. Probably use Weaver mounts.
I think I might be building right now,

Model 70 SS classic action, #2 Pacnor 23", PT&G Aluminum Oberndorf bottom metal, Echols Edge stock, Talley lightweights.

I have not decided on optics yet.
VX3 2.5-8
VX3 3.5-10
or
VX6 2-12

Oh yeah, caliber is going to be 300 H&H.

Hmmmmm, only one rifle for everything (big game I assume). I would have a FN made Winchester Model 70 in a Sporter chambered in 30.06. I would top it with a VX3 3.5-10.
There are two ways to interpret the question:

1) What rifle would have worked on every animal you've killed already? I killed my first big game animal in 1966, and have killed a wide variety since. Despite some of them being considered large and dangerous and close up, and some being much smaller at ranges out to 500 yards, every one could have been taken with a .30-06 and 180-grain Nosler Partitions.

But hindsight is always 20/20. There might have been SOME situation where that might not have worked--though so far there hasn't been.

2) Might use the .375 H&H instead, just for emergencies--but it wouldn't have been near as pleasant to shoot, especially when shooting a lot of animals. I have, however, used one to cull a bunch of springbok that didn't weigh over 100 pounds--and anything that can be killed with a .30-06 and 180's can be killed with a .375 and 260-270 grain bullets.

Would probably choose a fixed 6x in detachable mounts, probably Talleys with an aperture sight on the rear base, and a rugged front fiber-optic front sight.

If I have only one, it would have to be a custom. Something along a traditional English rifle or early Griffin & Howe built on a commercial mauser or springfield action but with a more modern stock designed for scope use. Caliber would have to be 30-06. I don't have an '06 now, but if limited to one gun I think that would do me. Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in very nice steel mounts similar to Conetrol.

It would have to have nice wood, hand checkered, inlayed swivels, very basic engraving, color casehardened action, high luster blued finish.

Sounds expensive, but if I added up what I currently had I could have easily paid for it. A Rigby or Westley-Richards would be nice in a modern stock as well.
Ruger 77 All Weather with Leupold VX3 3.5x10-40 in 30-06. Kind of basic I know.
Some sort of bolt action 223 with a fast twist. Leupold fixed power scope.
Well I was thinking those parameters when I bought this rifle, I was looking for a 7mm-08 but when it came time to plunk the money down I changed my mind and went with this 308. Not sure why I went 308 over 7mm-08 but don't regret it. It wears a m8 4x in weavers. Only thing I would add is sights.

New Haven mod 70 classic stainless .308

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
My first rifle was a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .243 win. It now wears a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40. There isn't much I couldn't have done with it over the years.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
My 700 Rem. in .300 Win. with is custom stock and barrel..A Leup. 4-12 would complete the picture.....

I like the way you think!!

My Win 70, 300 would do equally well. I PREFER your scope choice too.

ONE rifle for everything?? Why?

I know it would be NOTHING less than an 06.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Were close here. I would take my NULA, 223, 1-8" twist but would use a VX-3 2.5-8X36...
I can't think of a better rifle than my M70 Fwt 30-06 in a Brown Precision kevlar Pound'r with the Leupold 6X36 matte LR on top.
This one:
35 Whelen
Rem 700 SPS action
24" SS barrel 1 in 12 twist
Mcmillan Edge
Leupold 6x36

A stainless action would have been nice but the SPS action is fine, the Manners lightweight stocks they would get a serious look from me and I would have the LR reticle instead of the Duplex.

[Linked Image]

These bullets could easily handle anything I would want to hunt close or far big or small, the 200 gr Accubond, 250 gr Speer, 275 Woodleigh. One load would work if it came to that, the 225 gr Accubond.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LBP

Were close here. I would take my NULA, 223, 1-8" twist but would use a VX-3 2.5-8X36...

This is an interesting concept, and a viable one if I was never to hunt buffalo ( cape) or big bears.

There ARE limits to which I will take the cf .22s whistle
I'm gathering parts for what I intend to be my last big game rifle now. I'm 35, so we'll see how this "last rifle" really works out for the next (hopefully) 45 or 50 years.

Winchester Model 70 action. Unfortunately, pre-64s carry a higher than actually worth price tag, so mine is an FN. Timney trigger, which I actually prefer to the old style Win trigger.

#2 barrel. I ordered a Bartlein, but many would work fine.

Wood stock. Claro straight grain with fiddleback, ebony tip, red recoil pad. Not too obnoxious, but nice enough to keep me interested when there are no deer or elk about.

Talley standard rings and bases. Leupold 6x42 with LRD.

Oh yeah, 30-06.
First: resurrect Monty Kennedy, find a perfect stick of true French, action/CM Rem clone ( modified rear tang ) but with floating bolt head ala Savage, titanium bottom metal and mounts, no iron sights, lightly engraved, Bartlien 1-9 22.75" barrel CM, hot dip blued using Burgess process, Henriksen reamer, 7RM, weight at 7.25# with 3x9, 145 Barnes LRX at 3100 fps.
VZ24 action, forged bolt handle, m70 safety, ER Shaw 24" #2 1/2, hinged floor plate(release in bow), Timney featherweight trigger. nice piece of checkered walnut, FX3 6x42...in 8x57.
Remington 700 bdl 7mm rem mag with a leupold vxii 4-12x40 on top.
Originally Posted by LBP

This is an interesting concept, and a viable one if I was never to hunt buffalo ( cape) or big bears.

There ARE limits to which I will take the cf .22s whistle

Limits!!! shocked
For North America it would be a left handed model 70, 35 Whelen, 24 inch barrel and a Leupold 2x-7x. Beautiful stick of French walnut, barrel band swivel and NECG front sight (patridge style blade). It would be drilled and tapped for a Lyman 48 receiver sight as an open sight option.

If Africa was an option it would be the same rifle but chambered for 400 Whelen.

Mart
I won't play...I need two. smile I actually tried to do this back along 1995.

Wasn't too long before I realized that not owning a 375H&H is an enormously stupid idea.

I would want that and then...."something else".
I agree with Bob. I love my 375 H&H, even though it is overkill around here. If I had to just use 1 rifle, this is the one:

[Linked Image]
The one on the bottom and the scope would work for anything as well. I don't need a luepy to crap out on me either. This one does just fine:

[Linked Image]
Probably a lightweight bolt action rifle in 338 Federal, topped with a quality low-power variable scope.
If I was starting over at this moment I'd get a 30-06, either a Ruger Hawkeye, or a Model 70 - stainless either way. A 4X Leupold on top (or perhaps a 6 x 36). I know it's too much to some, and boring. But that's what makes it so good.
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
EdM,

you need to add a little direction to your question. Are you asking what a person would use if he has the knowledge he now possesses or what it would be if we were starting with no prior knowledge?

Jim

I am confused. I asked no question?
I wasn't considering buffalo in Africa. Yes, two rifles desired though I could do with one 375 H&H (or Ruger?). I spent a half dozen years hunting with a Rem 700 KS MR in 375 H&H and could do with a lightweight 375H&H as my one rifle. I took a couple of bulls with the KS in Colorado using the 260 gr Partition. A do anything rifle that would negate the need for a 300 Mag given the components available today.
I doubt it would matter what I selected, so long as I never looked at this website ever again. wink

FC
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
EdM,

Jim

I am confused. I asked no question?

Sorry that comment should have been directed at 65BR.

Jim
I wish I would have not sold my Remington 700FS lefty in 270 with a Leopold 2X-7X. I had 5 loads from 2950 fps to 2600 FPS worked up for the rifle to handle any hunting situation for way out there to under 50 yards.

Doc
I often wonder if I had decided to order the Remington 700 KS SS .280 back in the early 90's how much money it would have saved me over the years?

I lusted over one of those for a couple of years, but just couldn't quite ante up that much money while in college. I ended up with a Ruger boat paddle 7mm mag for 400, vs the 1000.00 for the KS. Ruger treated me well for many years and won't ever be sold, but it also lead to the purchase of probably a dozen other deer rifles in search of the perfect rifle. Still looking and I've got several to choose from.

Two favorites presently in the same are a Rem Mtn. Guide 7mm-08 and a Montana 280 ai. The Montana hasn't been hunted with yet, so the jury is still out. Thinking it's a keeper though.
For me. A custom 338-06. Loaded with 210 or 225gr TSX and RL15 powder.

Good Remington action, custom jeweled bolt, and lightweight OD bottom metal.

1-10" Hart Barrel, #3 contour. New Echols McMillan Remington Stock.

Topped with a 2.5-8 Zeiss, held by talley rings.

All coated graphite black, stock painted OD green.
Kimber Montana 308 Win, 6x36LR in Talleys. And it is, in fact, my only rifle currently (though I have an M70 308 EW in the works to make a pair).

The 308 is my favorite round, and will be what I use for the rest of my hunting life:

[Linked Image]
Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional with double set triggers in 7x64 with a Leupold 6x42 scope.
With deer and antelope my "largest" game these days, my 1984 700 action, 24" 1-8" twist Brux barrel in 22-250 housed in an Edge stock topped with a 3x9 Leupold will do it all from varmints on up. A 1-8" Swift might trump it in the near future....
You didn't specify a big game rifle. So........

I'd start over like I started (sorta) in the beginning..........

with a Ruger 77/22 with a Nikon 4 power scope.

If only a big game rile, probably a Rem Mt. Rifle in 25-06 with a Nikon 3-9.
Kimber Montana 30-06 Tally LW's VXIII 3x10x40
Hmmm. Glad I don't have to worry about that.

Probably a M70, 30-06, w/VX3 2.5-8
If I were to start over it would be a standard 280 Remington or a 338-06 Weathrby Big Game Master. 140- 250gr of bullets covers slot of territory. powdr
65BR,

Last August I basically did start all over...

Kimber Montana 7mm-08
Talley lows
Leupo 6x42, LRD, M1 elev

Sold my Tikklers, Salvages, and others. For what I want, I don't see how I could do any better. Should have played Kimber roulette years ago.

Recently bought a 77 MKII in 338 as a pretend rifle when I want to make believe I am going to Africa for plains game. Will also add a play toy for longer ranges too. But for one hunting rifle the Kimber and 6x are all I need/want.

Jason
I would probably start with a boring old 30-06. Thinking Ruger stainless with boat paddle stock, could live with factory rings. Find one with the factory sights, get the whole thing Ceracoated for extra protection, maybe in a flat black shade to mask the shinyness. Leupold straight 6 would probably serve my purposes.

KC
I would have Tom Burgess build a .280 AI on a Brno action with his QD mounts, pop-up peep, and pop-up front sight. Earl Milliron would stock it with a drop dead stick of English.
about half tempted to buy a 17hmr for varmints and use my 257 weatherby for everything else.
I don't have a 30.06 and never have. With everything else that I have I don't need one. But if I was to limit myself to one gun I would probably choose a 30.06.

Mauser action
Leupold fixed 6X
Custom walnut stock
I am in the process of cutting down the number of rifles I have. The one that will remain will be a Dakota 97, 30-06, with a Swarovski 6x42 in Talley fixed rings. I just recently had the synthetic stock repainted and the barreled action coated.
Originally Posted by BoltactionMan
I would probably start with a boring old 30-06. Thinking Ruger stainless with boat paddle stock, could live with factory rings. Find one with the factory sights, get the whole thing Ceracoated for extra protection, maybe in a flat black shade to mask the shinyness. Leupold straight 6 would probably serve my purposes.

KC

This would be dead on for me also!
Except Titanium Cerakote for the externals and Microslick for the internals,Some NECG upgrades to the factory open sights
3/32 ivory bead for the front.
A FX-3 6X42 Heavy Duplex scope to complete it.
Also a better recoil pad.
150 gr. to 180 gr. factory ammo till I found what it shot best.
Can round up some 200 gr.PT for any big nasty critter.
AMRA
In my younger days,I tried this and that rifle. I have a Pre 64 M70, .06 with a Leupold 2.5-8x now and if I started over that is what I would still have.
I would pick a 1903 Springfield sporter such as a pre-war custom built by the likes of Owen, Wundhamer, Griffin&Howe, et al. In 30/06 with a Lyman 48 receiver sight and a Griffin&Howe QD side mount holding a straight tube Leupold or Lyman Alaskan.
I screwed up earlier: my real choice would be a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Saddle Rifle in .40-90 BN with a 1/2 round 28 inch barrel with an MVA 6x scope
If I had to start over with just one rifle, it would be my Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. I have a 4200 Elite 1.5-5x40 ILLUM scope mounted on it and it is a great fit for a 45-70. With Garrett�s 45-70 +P Hammerhead Ammo 540 gr Super Hard Cast gas-checked Hammerhead at 1550 FPS I could handle any animal on earth. If it takes more than five Hammerheads, I would need an RPG! Garrett also loads a 500 gr solid at 1530 FPS. My reloads with Nosier 300 gr BT at 1300 FPS will work for deer and smaller game. For larger non-dangerous game any factory 405 gr at 1200-1300 or reloads running the same speed will work. I have had good luck with Hornady�s 325 gr Flex Tip on deer and hogs. In my Marlin the Flex Tip loads group under 1 �� at 200 yards if I do my part.

The Marlin is quick to my shoulder and fast to reload four times!
I would say my Sako A7 in .270 winchester. It wears a Weaver 3 x 10 x 40 grandslam. I put it in a B& C Medalist stock ( they made that custom for me). Is a simple , durable gun, fairly light, and shoots as good as any custom I have had built. Now, I currently am waiting for a Forbes 24B in .280 Remington. I plan to scope it out with a good 2-10 power from somebody......that would knock the A7 down to number 2.
Savage 99F, old enough to have the rotary magazine but new enough to be factory drilled & tapped. Leupold mounts with VXIII 1.5-5x scope. The one I have is a .300 Savage, but a .308 would serve as well.

OTOH, no one has yet mentioned a rifle that I would kick out of the truck.
Ruger M77 MkII in 7mm RM with 3-9 Leupold.
I would build a 7mmWSM or SAUM on a Win stainless classic, 22" #2 Rock in a McMillan EDGE (pattern undecided). I would have the factory trigger down to 2.5lbs or so. I would mount a FX2 6x36 LRD. I am not sure of scope mounts, either Talley light weights for weight and simplicity or something that would allow mounting of a back up scope.
I might change the scope to a 2.5-8 vx3. But it's hard to beat my .257 Roberts for all I've ever hunted.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by moosemike

Hey buddy, I'm thinking if I would have started out with a left handed bolt rifle, my choice of rifles would be much different right now. How about you?? Maybe a left handed Tikka, stainless 6.5x55 superlight cool, with your choice of scope. Just something I think about from time to time...
I could never have just one, BUT if I had to I guess it would be a Blaser R8 Professional in 6.5x55 topped off with a Kahles CL 2-7x36 with a #4 reticle. I've got about 250 rounds of RWS 140 gr Doppelkerns stashed away that would last me the rest of my hunting life.
Rem 700 ADL in 308 Win with Leupold 4x. Best rifle I ever owned, killed a lot of animals with that rifle. Wish I still had it. But thought there was something better and traded it for ?
Up to 20 years old: Tikka T3 SS .308
From 20 to 80: Sako 85 SS .375
80- : Tikka T3 SS .308/30-06/9,3x62 or a Sako 85 SS .375

Rings Optilock, scope Zeiss Victoy Diavari 2,5-10x50 with #40 reticle

Really difficult to choose one rifle...
What I already have as my favorite for the past 18 years: a Ruger #1 in .45-70, followed by another #1 Ruger in .45-70 that I had "improved" by lengthening the throat by .30". The first is now owned by my second son.

It has very nice wood, 22" tube, Nikon 2-7 X 32 shotgun scope. Weight with 5 cartridges on the stock and sling is 8.6 lbs. There are several very good loads that shoot under 1.5" and 3 or 4 premium loads that shoot MOA when I do my part.

Ballistics are anything from plinking loads, to medium cast bullet hunting loads to 450 A-Frame at 2300 fps to 500gr Hornady at 2200 fps. All loads under 65,000 psi.

Current hunting loads are mostly 350-grainers: Speer, Hornady and TSX. at 2250 fps to 2550 fps. Another load just developed is the 300 TSX at 2645 fps. It's my favorite "walk-about" rifle for anything from coyote to moose.

I really don't need anything else. When it comes down to one only, that will be it!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
about half tempted to buy a 17hmr for varmints and use my 257 weatherby for everything else.

Lucky such insanity is only half temping though your loony credentials can be called into question even with that.

Best trip that Marlin, build another Bob, sell it and buy a Savage 243.

Which you can sell to me.

You're welcome.

GFY
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by moosemike

Hey buddy, I'm thinking if I would have started out with a left handed bolt rifle, my choice of rifles would be much different right now. How about you?? Maybe a left handed Tikka, stainless 6.5x55 superlight cool, with your choice of scope. Just something I think about from time to time...
You've got a point! Still I'm staying Ruger but maybe make that 7mm a leftie!
Originally Posted by Brad
Kimber Montana 308 Win, 6x36LR in Talleys. And it is, in fact, my only rifle currently (though I have an M70 308 EW in the works to make a pair).

The 308 is my favorite round, and will be what I use for the rest of my hunting life:

[Linked Image]

Atta boy, Brad! My 308 is a M70 FW SS in a McMillan FW stock with a Leupie 2x7, which for me is ideal. I do 95% of my hunting with it and have no serious ideas on how to improve on it.

I coulda saved myself a lot of time and money if I'd just gone to that in the beginning - but that statement could apply to a lot of things in life.
Very nice rifles, Brad - 308 is an easy pic nice Kimber. Interesting to see 223 listed numerous times.

Yes folks - did mean an all around centerfire for North America, and if you wish and hunt elsewhere, throw that in the mix.

That 257 above sure makes me re-think the Bob wink

No doubt - no bad choices as surely everyone picks based on their needs, what and where they hunt.

Interesting thread here, and nice to see a few using fixed powers. Not that there is anything wrong with a quality variable.

JB - nice touch re: irons - never know...
I have had the perfect rifle for a while, but had been too big of a bonehead to realize it. My Ruger 77 Ultralight in 257 Roberts topped of with a Leupold 1-4�20 has worked pretty good. I got side tracked for a while but have come back around. I recently found that it likes 100 grain core-lokts loaded by Wisconsin Cartridge Company. Time to seriously consider trimming the fat now.

If I were to start over I'd go with a Kimber Montana or Forbes in 243 Win with a Leupold 4x.

Dale
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I might change the scope to a 2.5-8 vx3. But it's hard to beat my .257 Roberts for all I've ever hunted.

[Linked Image]

Cheesy, what a wonderful rifle!

Many years ago when I lived in Missouri for College and hunted WT deer from a stand, I did the bulk of it with a 250 Savage, 257 Rob and 308. All wood/blued.

Personally, were I back there now, there's no way I'd not have a rifle exactly like yours. No stainless/fiberglass wanted or needed. Give me a beautiful piece of walnut to enjoy while wiling away the hours on a deer stand...
Originally Posted by John_G

Atta boy, Brad! My 308 is a M70 FW SS in a McMillan FW stock with a Leupie 2x7, which for me is ideal. I do 95% of my hunting with it and have no serious ideas on how to improve on it.

I coulda saved myself a lot of time and money if I'd just gone to that in the beginning - but that statement could apply to a lot of things in life.

John, you're preaching to this choir on all counts!

And yours is one of my all-time favorite rifles... have had 2 SS m70 Fwt's in 308 Win and still kicking myself for letting them go.

Hard to beat the 2-7x33 too... one of my all-time favorite scopes.
Now this is my idea of a working rifle. When you want to sell it contact me please!

Great picture too...

Originally Posted by ruger438
Well I was thinking those parameters when I bought this rifle, I was looking for a 7mm-08 but when it came time to plunk the money down I changed my mind and went with this 308. Not sure why I went 308 over 7mm-08 but don't regret it. It wears a m8 4x in weavers. Only thing I would add is sights.

[Linked Image]
In reality it's hard to beat a .308 for an all-around rifle for anything other than large, dangerous game--which is why I always have one, and usually more than one.

Right now I have two, a Merkel K1 single-shot with really nice wood and game scenes on the receiver. The scope is in detachable mounts that take about 5 seconds to remove or replace, and the whole thing can be taken apart and put in a 30" take-down case--or even in a daypack. It weighs an ounce under 7 pounds with a Bausch & Lomb 3000 3-9x40, and shoots very well.

Took it apart and put it in a take-down case fore a trip to the Northwest Territories for caribou a few years ago, and when I got there put it back together again. The first 150-grain AccuBond landed two inches high, dead center, at 100 yards. I started to stand up from the make-shift bench, and the camp manager said, almost angrily, "One's not enough," so I sat down and put another right next to the first. When I stood up again he didn't say anything.

The other is a Ruger American that weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces with a 3-9x Burris Fullfield II, and it shoots even better than the Merkel!

Have used both for some hunting, but not enough, which is what happens when you have too damn many rifles.
I think my 7-08 Remington 700 Classic with a 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch
could be loaded up or down to let the air out of pretty much anything I could point at in the northern hemisphere, but I have to add that's todays choice. Tomorrow I'm sure I'll have a different combination.....
Now this is my idea of a working rifle. When you want to sell it contact me please!

Great picture too...

[Linked Image]

Thanks Brad but not for sale, although I could live with a straight swap with your Montana. laugh Thats a nice rifle.

I've used a 30-06 for years, but always wanted something smaller. I think that is why I chose the 308 over the 7mm-08- I had a good supply of .308 dia bullets on hand. 150-165 grn hornady interlock for PA deer and bear, and speer 125 grn tnt for groundhogs. The 110 v-max is going to get a try this summer tho if I can tear myself away from the .22's.
If this were for hunting all over North America, and money were no object, probably either a worked-over, stainless, New Haven Winchester 70 (probably go with a Brown stock) OR a Remington 700 Ti with a slightly heavier barrel contour in 7mm Rem mag, although a 30-06 would be fine too. If confined to more localized stuff (meaning not big bears, elk, or moose), probably the same in 7-08. If on a budget, probably just a stainless Remington 700 in 7-08 or .243.

I'd use Talley lightweights and a Leupold 6-18X40 with a standard or maybe heavy Duplex regardless of the rifle chosen.

Thanks Brad but not for sale, although I could live with a straight swap with your Montana. laugh Thats a nice rifle.

Smart feller. I wouldn't sell it either, but thought it was worth a try laugh

Here's my 30-06 version of your rifle with sights and bansner stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
John, I've always gravitated back to the 308... it does everything the 30-06 does and, while it may be just me, I notice a definite recoil difference between the two... plus, being a frugal Norwegian, 46 grains of powder is kinda nice laugh
Winchester 70, 30-06, 4x Leupold scope
Brad,

Yeah, I notice the recoil difference too, even with 180's, which I don't use much in the .308 but have handloaded from time to time just to see what they'll do (along with some 200's). And being another frugal Norwegian, I like 46 grains myself!
Tikka LH 308. Fixed 6x Leupy.

God I would hate only having 1
Originally Posted by 65BR
Very nice rifles, Brad - 308 is an easy pic nice Kimber. Interesting to see 223 listed numerous times.

Yes folks - did mean an all around centerfire for North America, and if you wish and hunt elsewhere, throw that in the mix.

No doubt - no bad choices as surely everyone picks based on their needs, what and where they hunt.

Interesting thread here, and nice to see a few using fixed powers. Not that there is anything wrong with a quality variable.

A .223 is plenty for all the hunting I actually do (Texas whitetails, pronghorns, hogs, varmints, axis, blackbucks)
Just an old Mauser 98 in 7x57 with a 3x9 on it.
Rem LTR 308
Leupold 3.5-10 mil-dot
If I didn't own any centerfire rifles, I'd buy a Forbes in 6.5x55 and a fixed six leupy.

Originally Posted by Cheesy

[Linked Image]

Cheesy, what a wonderful rifle!

Many years ago when I lived in Missouri for College and hunted WT deer from a stand, I did the bulk of it with a 250 Savage, 257 Rob and 308. All wood/blued.

Personally, were I back there now, there's no way I'd not have a rifle exactly like yours. No stainless/fiberglass wanted or needed. Give me a beautiful piece of walnut to enjoy while wiling away the hours on a deer stand...

Thanks. I'm 2 for 2 in the Kimber lottery. Have a .308 and they both shoot better than they look. I fully understand the benefits of stainless synthetic, but rarely encounter the conditions that require them.
For everything in North America:
Montana 84L in 270/280/30-06
Talleys
Leupold 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 maybe a 6x.

If you included Africa I guess it would have to be a 375. I likely will never know.
[Linked Image]

Kimber 84M 7-08
Leupold 2.5-8
Warn bases Leupold rings [Linked Image]

Whitworth 7mm RM
Leupold 2.5-8
Leupold bases and rings

They are similar in use and function the final choice would probably go too the Whitworth.

If I could only afford one rifle & scope, I wouldn't be hunting all of North America.

A 223 works fine for the big game that needs killing locally, and would work better than most for the 90% of the time that I'm not hunting big game and instead shooting coyotes, p-dogs, and the like. Another plus is long barrel life, which will help if I'm poor and cannot afford another rifle (let alone a barrel). Cheap cost of 223 ammo is a bonus, as well.
The choice for me would be a 300 win mag in a mcmillan stock. I handload that one to shoot 150s at 2600 fps up to 180s at 3100 fps. All of them shoot under an inch. Should handle all big game I want.
I would just keep the sporterized 03 Springfield that my Grandfather left to me. It took me way too long to appreciate the do it all qualities of a mid weight 30/06. With the Leupold 2.5 x 8 that it is wearing now in Redfield rings and bases it is about all I'll ever really need. But what fun is that?
Interesting question, if I did, I'd probably stick with my first deer rifle, a pre-64 model 70 FWT in .308, with the current Burris signature 1.5-6x. Found a lot of different rifles, but not one better for the hunting I do.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have used both for some hunting, but not enough, which is what happens when you have too damn many rifles.

Could not say it any better and true for me also. Back to the OP's question probably the same M700 ADL 7 mm Remington Magnum I bought when I was 15 and have used ever since, it wears a Redfield 1 pc base and rings holding my favorite scope a Leupold V3 2.5 x 8. Magnum Man

If I could only afford one rifle & scope, I wouldn't be hunting all of North America.

Let me re-word that to fit my case�

If I hadn't spent so much on so many guns, I could afford to be hunting all of North America�.. grin

Let me re-word that to fit my case�

If I hadn't spent so much on so many guns, I could afford to be hunting all of North America�.. grin

Haha. I don't even want to know how many places I could have went and things I could have shot if I had simply bought a cheap 30-06 and used the rest on hunts.

I've been trying to change that, of late.
One thing I've done for years is buy rifles with money I could have spent on hunting. Then when I decided to go hunting somewhere I sold some rifles! However I do try to buy at prices I know they can be sold for, which usually means not paying retail for new rifles--though not always.
If pressed I would follow the advice of the late Finn Aagard. A former PH from Kenya, relocated to Texas. And a terrific writer on many aspects of hunting.

A synthetic stocked 98 Mauser action chambered in .30/06 with a good fixed power scope. Period...

But I really would hate to be limited to only owning one big game rifle.
One thing I've done for years is buy rifles with money I could have spent on hunting. Then when I decided to go hunting somewhere I sold some rifles! However I do try to buy at prices I know they can be sold for, which usually means not paying retail for new rifles--though not always.

Sound thinking. I'm currently in the rifle sale for a hunt phase!
This one:
- Remington 700 stainless ADL .30-06 with 24'' barrel
- McMillan Classic Edge @ 13 3/8'' lop bedded in Marine-Tex
- Shilen trigger @ 2 pounds with Rifle Basix safety
- Talley lightweight lows
- Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 with LR Duplex
- Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
- If just 1 load, Hornady 165 Interlocks over IMR 4350

[Linked Image]

I've narrowed my centerfire battery down to this one and could happily have used it from the beginning and may well for the rest of my hunting (maybe grin ). The only change I may make at some point is to shorten the barrel to 22'' and have it cerekoted.
I have been a rifle competitor and hunter all my life.

Yesterday I shot my .22 LR 40X with it's 15X Unertl. I would want that rifle for the matches.

I shot centerfire @ 200 yds. I use my 40X 6mm Rem. Intl. with Redfield irons

If the woodchucks were still here I would want my High Wall .219I Zipper with it's 10X Supertargetspot.

For big game my woods rifle and sentimental favorite is my 99F in .358 Win. The scope on it now is a 2-7 Leu in Weavers.

For all around big game I suppose I might want something with more range. A mauser in 30-06 has become a favorite. There is a Swaro. 3-9 on it now but if limited to one scope I might go with the 2-7 Kahles that's on another rifle.

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 LA Mtn rifle, 6.5x57, 22" bbl, talley low lw, Leupold 6x36

Not practical, but if only one, might as well be a cool one.

Sycamore
Winchester M70, 25-06, 6x Leupold scope.
Kimber Montana, 280AI, M8 6x42, LW's. Can't seem to part with what I've got though, so it ain't happening.....

Actually, it'd be an '06. If I'm down to one rig, I sure as hell won't be hand loading.
You can't play golf with just one club and if you try, you will lose against the guys with 2 clubs.
I really like the Savage 99. So an R or even an EG in .308 would be about perfect. Though the .300 Savage is almost a .308 and I would be very happy using it as well. With probably a fixed 4X.

For most of my hunting the above in .358 would sure be fun.

Though if push came to shove, I would just use my grandfathers old Mauser .30-06 with a fixed 4X and never look back.
Something similar to this but probably with a scope somewhere in the 2-7 range.

[Linked Image]
I started my hunting career in 1956 with a Rem.721 in 30.06, it's long gone now. In the meantime I've used a bunch of different cartridges and they all worked. I have a rifle in the works now, a pre-64 Winchester, Hart#3 barrel, McMillan stock and a Leupold 6xLR. I plan to finish my hunting career with the the cartridge I started with. If all goes well, I use it on an antelope, a buck mule deer and a bull elk this coming fall.
I like my Howa 1500 in 30-06.

I just wish I could afford a real scope.

I hope we are talking game rifles. I would still NEED, a bunch of .22s and a Bee or Hornet.

It's in the safe. An early post war commercial FN, .30-06, 24" barrel, tight grain custom English style stock with short forearm and a Neidner butt plate, wearing a 2.5-8 Leupold in Kimber of Oregon detachable mounts, and a Browning leather cobra carry strap let out just enough for a hasty sling. Oh yes fine line, and oak leaf bordered checkering.

If you are going to make me sell all the others, I will change the scope to a Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42, and have a few scrolls of engraving put on the action and rings. Maybe just the rings to keep the rust blue intact. It has a front post and I have a NIB vintage Lyman receiver for a back up.

Truthfully, a small ring Browning Safari .243 or a like .308 both sitting near the above would also work from here on out. Likely the .243. One of the daughters wants the .308. She will get it whenever I decide......

Jack
What have now as a primary hunting rifle. Sako Finnlight, 30-06, Be putting a 6x42 Leuplod LR on it soon, use a 200gr NAB.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you mean now, like everything lost in a fire, it would be a LH Tikka .243 with a Leupold 6x36 in Tikka mounts but with better screws.

If you mean go back in time and start again, being lefthanded, I'd give great thought to a Remington 760 in .30-06 with a Leupold M8 6x36 if they made them 40 years ago, otherwise it would be an M8 4X. Probably use Weaver mounts.

i was feeling sorry for all the disatvantaged people i.e. the right hand bolts, and you made me feel better. I have a 760 carbine in 30.06 with a redfield on it, lupy's little brother, and i think in reality it would do just about anything you would want done, properly loaded.
my kimber montana in 308 with LW Talley's and a 6x42 scope with german #4.
[Linked Image]

This my do everything rifle. 1941 Winchester Model 70, original 30/06 barrel rechambered to .300 Winchester Magnum, reworked and restocked in Australian walnut by Al and Roger Biesen. It now wears a fixed 6x36 Leupold, holds zero perfectly with 180 grain Nosler Partitions over 72 grains/IMR 4350 (Winchester brass) for 3012 fps and MOA accuracy. Weighs 8# 10 oz., feels lighter.

I expect a 30/06 would suit me just as well, but this is the rifle with which I have a hot love affair that happens to be a .300.
Geez�..dats NICE!!!!!! cool
If ONLY one for all my purposes,... then a .243 I suppose. My current Model 7 with Loopy atop would suffice.

Dave
tough to one rifle but for me 7mm stw and ahve to load to game
MRC left hand action
26" barrel #4 contour 1 in 9.5 twist in stainless
mcmillian stock
luepy qrw rings
current scope which has been acceptable is nikon 4x16

[Linked Image]
One of my gone but not forgotten New Haven Model 70 stainless short actions. Chambered in .308(or possibly 260). Talley lightweights. 2.5x8 Leupold. In a Bansner "pounder".
Or the factory 270 I already have lol
[Linked Image]

Great picture too...

[Linked Image]

Nice!
This one

[Linked Image]

308, McMillan, now wears a VX3 2.5x8 in Tally LW's, bolt has also been sexyed up by Karl since photo

Weight is perfect, caliber handles most anything I'll ever hunt.
Rem. 700 action, 23" stainless PacNor light conture barrel, McMillian light fill mountain rifle stock, Leupold 6X42mm in Tallies.....AND, in .....30-06 cal. (grin!)

And just hunt the crap out'a it!

If just one rifle for Varmit hunting, a Ruger 77V Lam. W/ Leupold 3.5X10 A.O. ..In 22 Hornet.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by GF1
[Linked Image]

This my do everything rifle. 1941 Winchester Model 70, original 30/06 barrel rechambered to .300 Winchester Magnum, reworked and restocked in Australian walnut by Al and Roger Biesen. It now wears a fixed 6x36 Leupold, holds zero perfectly with 180 grain Nosler Partitions over 72 grains/IMR 4350 (Winchester brass) for 3012 fps and MOA accuracy. Weighs 8# 10 oz., feels lighter.

I expect a 30/06 would suit me just as well, but this is the rifle with which I have a hot love affair that happens to be a .300.

That is breathtaking!

I'd want my "one rifle" to be a show-stopper like that: if I only get one, it might was well be a beauty. Chambered in something that burns 40-odd grains of powder, I could easily take any NA game short of big bears, and look fine doing it.

4x32 Conquest for me, please.

FC
If I were convinced I would never be hunting brown bear or African dangerous game, it would be:

.280 Rem. cal.
Pre-64 Winchester M70 action
Custom #2 contour barrel, 22" length
McMillan Edge or Bansner stock
Talley LW mounts, Leupold VX3 3.5-10 scope, probably CDS
1" Pachmayr Decellerator pad

Actually, I already have this one, with a Bansner stock, which tips the scales at 7 3/4 lb. all up, crazy accurate with a number of bullets and powders. The only thing I would change, if there were a next go-around, would be to use the Edge stock instead of the Bansner.
I told my son to study calibers for game that he waned to hunt. He asked if I would just recommend one to him.

"If you want every excuse to get another rifle to be gone forever, get a .308" was my response.

He spent much time and energy handling rifles from all major manufacturers, and promptly fell in love with a left-handed SS Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I can't disagree with his decision! It wears a 3-9x40 Burris, its got a butter-smooth action and is accurate beyond belief.
Originally Posted by deg967
One of my gone but not forgotten New Haven Model 70 stainless short actions. Chambered in .308(or possibly 260). Talley lightweights. 2.5x8 Leupold. In a Bansner "pounder".
Or the factory 270 I already have lol
[Linked Image]

What more could a guy need? Well it would be better with a scope on it laugh
If I could only have one but had the cash I would pick a left hand Cooper or Forbes in .25-06. I would scope it with a 3.5-10x40 AO Leupold.

If I did not have much money it would be a Savage left hand .25-06 with a Burris FFII 3-9x40.
Weatherby Mk V Ultralight in 280 Rem or 30-06. Matte Leupold VX1 or VX2 3-9x40 in Talley verticals with the stylized Weatherby W engraved on the side. My Mk V Sporter is all this except it's in a wood stock. It's a fine rifle but could weigh less in a top quality fiberglass stock. My Forbes 24B in 270 is likewise a fine rifle but the Weatherby bolt locks and unlocks with a scant 55 degrees of rotation, which is a definite advantage in the field.

Borden Alpine
300 WSM
24" Hart #3
Talley Q.D.'s
Swarovski 3-10x 42mm
Custom 20 oz stock

The 300 WSM is what I wanted in 1977 when I bought my first rifle in 308 Winchester.
Kimber Montana 84L in .270 Winchester topped with a VX3 2.5-8. Love it for wandering around the prairie.
If I could go back and do it over, I'd probably look for a Husqvarna like the one below. I think it is a 1600 or something close. It has a commercial small ring 98 Mauser style action that is as slick as warm butter. The stock isn't fancy but it is comfortable. It is a 30/06 which is all I would need. I'd put a Leupold VX3 2.5X8 scope on it in Weaver mounts.

[Linked Image]
I understand the merits of being a one gun hunter and knowing that one rifle and its trajectory very well, but I'm going a different route. I am putting together a pair of rifles that are to be indistinguishable from one another except for the round for which they are chambered. The leading candidates for the actions / rifles are Husqvarna HVAs and MRC 1999. One to be chambered in 7x57 for 150 grainers , and the other in .350RM or .35 Whelen for 225 grainers. All for about 2700fps with BCs in the mid to high .400s for good game bullets. With matching scopes (Leupy fixed 4s) and plastic (??), and used on appropriate game only my shoulder and my powder scale will ever be able to tell which is which.
Many years ago, I worked with a man who had owned a set of 700s, six or seven rifles in as many calibers, with matching maple stocks. Times got hard and he sold all but one - the .308.
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Many years ago, I worked with a man who had owned a set of 700s, six or seven rifles in as many calibers, with matching maple stocks. Times got hard and he sold all but one - the .308.

I bought my M600 .350RM from an old guy with a kinda flip side story.

Times got good for him, and he retired to a little cabin on a river in ID and a big plush RV parked anywhere warm in winter after hunting seasons closed. He had a full set of M600s and a few M660s but not enough room.

He also kept one .308W and a .222R.

Alas, I was young and poor and could only buy the one; and I'd read Al Miller of Handloader, Rifle, Nosler Manual, et cetra write that the .350RM was the most versatile round and his own choice if he could have only one. Glad I got the one that I did, but wish that I could have bought them all.
Thinking back on things maybe I'd just be content with the Remington .30-06 760 Gamemaster that my dad gave me when I was thirteen. Dad armed me pretty well its a shame I didn't appreciate it.
... a Merkel K1 single-shot with really nice wood and game scenes on the receiver. The scope is in detachable mounts that take about 5 seconds to remove or replace, and the whole thing can be taken apart and put in a 30" take-down case--or even in a daypack. It weighs an ounce under 7 pounds with a Bausch & Lomb 3000 3-9x40, and shoots very well.

I remember when you first started writing about that rifle. Now, I have the new issue of Rifle with Phil Shoemaker's story about his hunt in Faroffistan with a Luxus M-11 in .30-'06.

I've got to admit that the concept of a high-quality break action, take-down rifle with similar quality mounts and scope does appeal if you're doing the only-one-rifle analysis, and especially when taking travel into consideration.

Right now, a Handirifle is my only break action single shot and, um, leaves something to be desired. May be time now to cull the herd.
I came across this rifle by chance. It is an Atkinson Custom mauser in 6.5x55. It is one of those rifles that fits you perfect. It comes to your shoulder effortlessly, and you are immediately comfortable and on target. It is one of two or three rifles in my collection that does this. Because it is in one of my favorite all around cartridges, and is capable of handling every North American game animal, as well as varmints, I choose it as my one and only keeper (assuming someone puts a gun to my head.)

For the scope I have a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 or a Shepherd P3 10x40

[Linked Image]
Nice rifles, that '41 300 appears to have given Ingwe a "Woody" wink Lol.

350RM guy, yes, read that same Al Miller article, and bought a 77 SS in the past, it was a hammer, my buddy borrowed it and slammed a nice 10pt WT buck that evening and forced me to sell it to him! Later heard he sold it! Seems ammo was not easy to find...oh well - tools come and go.

Suppose if I had an '06 - as post above mentions - might lose the desire/want to handload. Proven.

Interesting hearing the picks, seeing the pics, and the logic. All good choices for their owners.

BTW, Brad and JB, since one of my best friends lives in Oslo, born and raised in Norway, I suppose I should give a 308 an honest go some day! Lol.
Originally Posted by tjm10025
... a Merkel K1 single-shot with really nice wood and game scenes on the receiver. The scope is in detachable mounts that take about 5 seconds to remove or replace, and the whole thing can be taken apart and put in a 30" take-down case--or even in a daypack. It weighs an ounce under 7 pounds with a Bausch & Lomb 3000 3-9x40, and shoots very well.

I remember when you first started writing about that rifle. Now, I have the new issue of Rifle with Phil Shoemaker's story about his hunt in Faroffistan with a Luxus M-11 in .30-'06.

I've got to admit that the concept of a high-quality break action, take-down rifle with similar quality mounts and scope does appeal if you're doing the only-one-rifle analysis, and especially when taking travel into consideration.

Right now, a Handirifle is my only break action single shot and, um, leaves something to be desired. May be time now to cull the herd.
Depending on age and chambering, I may know of an easy place to get rid of your Handi... laugh

PM in your box. grin
If only one high power???
I was asked this 15 years ago and it was then a 338 Win Mag with Leupold 2x7 scope. My present 338 is a high fancy grade win 70. Cast bullets for smaller animals up thru Nosler Partitions 250 grain for largest.

I like 700's better than 70's though and a CDL or custom shop 700 would be my first choice.

Stainless T3 270, 308 or 3006, Burris FF II 4.5 to 14 ballistic Plex
If I were the same age with the same amount of money as I started hunting and limited to what was available then, I'd probably still get the first rifle I ever bought - a Ruger 77 flat bolt in .284 Win with a Weaver 4x scope.

I'd also pick up a Lee Loader, several boxes of 150gr .284 Nosler Partitions and an 8 lb jug of 4350 and never use anything else.
I'd pick a pre-64 30-06 and call it good, using 150 or 180 gr TTSX with a Swaro Z6 2-12x50.

Eric
My Gradous .308win & Zeiss Conquest 10x44 can do everything I need it too.
Yet another New Haven SS 308.

[Linked Image]
LH Remington 700 CDL in 30-06 and a Meopta 3-9 with a German #4.
Right Now*: NULA 30/06, SWFA SS 3-9X42. If forced to go production, I'd choose a Remington 700 30/06 in a Ti stock with the same scope.
Pretty boring.
*subject to change without notice.

M-70 classic stainless syn in 375 H&H mag, 2.5-10x24 Nightforce in a set of Talley QD rings firing 270 gr TSX's at 2800 fps with 300 gr Woody solids for any one/thing else.

Gunner
That is a hard one but if I could just have one rifle it would be a custom rifle:
-Ruger action (left hand)
-MPI stock
-ER Shaw Helical Fluted Barrel

Chamber in 350 Remington Magnum wearing a Luepold VX 6 1-6 scope
My New Haven SS Model 70 in 270 WSM in it's Bansner stock w/ Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 works flawlessly for the type of open country hunting I prefer but my Kimber 84L Select 30-06 w/ Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS might be more versatile for a do everything gun. Glad I don't have to choose.
It MIGHT be this gun...

[Linked Image]

LH Winchester M70, custom contour Brux barrel, Legend EDGE stock, metal work by Mark Penrod. Chambered in long throated 7 Rem Mag with long magazine to match. It covers the range from open country antelope to elk in the timber.

But were it my only gun, it would have a sleek, trim wood stock to wear on sunny days.
Tac Ops Tango-51 in 300WM with a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 w/ P3 mil-dot
One is impossible... but if I had to pick one that I'm currently enamored with, it would be the new Wby Vanguard Series 2 Back Country in 30-06 (although I'd happily roll with .257 Wby Mag)with a Leupold VX-3 and Talley lows.
a Forbes 24B 30/06 in stainless when they come out.A Zeiss in 3X9X40-42.
Originally Posted by Huntz
a Forbes 24B 30/06 in stainless when they come out.A Zeiss in 3X9X40-42.

I have that combo but not in stainless. Great choice!
Blaser 95 in .308 with Zeiss 3x9. Would extra barrels count against the one rifle?? If not a 22 centerfire and medium bore would round it out.
A Sako Finnlight or Tikka T3 lite, stainless,in .308. The barrel trimmed to 20"s.

Topped with a 2.5-10 Nightforce, in Talley lightweight rings.

I own the T3 version of this and don't know if a Finnlight would be able to touch it,accuracy wise, but I'd give it a solid test to find out.

I know the 20" Tikka and 165 grain Sierra hollow point Game Kings are deadly on elk and deer.
The one I'm going to build.

Stiller Predator
Stiller mounts
#2 fluted barrel, 22in 308 of course
Mickey Edge
Stiller DBM

And since you said one rifle, and didn't say anything about multiple barrels, I have a 24in 7/08 barrel as well, and a Bansner stock (ADL)

Scope(s) would be a 1-4x Super Sniper and a 6x36 with LRD and a target elevation turret.
One I built that I should have kept.

Surgeon RSR in 308 with a palma 95 chamber
Krieger light palma contour @ 20 " threaded for suppressor
Timney trigger
BDL bottom metal
Mcmillan stock in GAP camo
3x9 Leupold MRT with a 168 Drop cam
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I came across this rifle by chance. It is an Atkinson Custom mauser in 6.5x55. It is one of those rifles that fits you perfect. It comes to your shoulder effortlessly, and you are immediately comfortable and on target. It is one of two or three rifles in my collection that does this. Because it is in one of my favorite all around cartridges, and is capable of handling every North American game animal, as well as varmints, I choose it as my one and only keeper (assuming someone puts a gun to my head.)

For the scope I have a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 or a Shepherd P3 10x40

[Linked Image]

What a gorgeous rifle, OO! I can see why you like it, and why it fits so well. And the caliber...what can one say? Please know that you never ever have to worry about finding a good home for it should you decide you don't need it anymore. How much does that beauty weigh?
ULA or NULA with a slightly heavy barrel, 20 inches, Talley LWs, Leupy w/ turrets, 7mm 08 or 284 win. Oh, and left hand!

Since I shoot a lot of prairie dogs and also hunt big game, I'm not sure I would/could limit myself to one. Two would probably be a .223 or .22-250 and then probably my Tikka T-3 Lite in .300 mag.
WHEN could I start all over? When I was a boy, and trade my .22 LR Stevens Mod. Favorite with irons I used to plunk woodchucks, for the Rem SA 700 in 250AI with the big scope I now have?? Darn right I would.
Otherwise, I now have 45 startovers, by count.
I've got a Husqvarna built on a FN commercial Mauser action in 30-06. The barrel is between 21 and 22 inches and it is in a Basner stock. It wears a 4.75x Weaver Grand Slam in Talley Lightweights and comes in at a little less than 7 pounds, I think 6.10 the last time I weighed it on the postal scales in my old office. It shoots everything in to nice inch to inch and a half groups...not spectacular by Campfire standards, but good enough. It is hard to imagine that rifle not being able to do just about anything that needed to be done.

Edit, on second thought I think the 6.10 was without a scope. It should weigh about 7.5lbs.
[Linked Image]

Pre-64 M70, 30-06. McMillan stock.
I get a kick out of the guys in this thread who say "The next rifle I build will be THE ONE!"

I think many of us have gone down that road before. Either we are still searching, or realize we would have been just as well off with something simple a long time ago.
LOL

If I had to start over, The first rule I would break would be the one Rifle rule.

Too Friggin' funny!

I get a kick out of the guys in this thread who say "The next rifle I build will be THE ONE!"

I think many of us have gone down that road before. Either we are still searching, or realize we would have been just as well off with something simple a long time ago.

+1 I could kick myself in the rear for not being satisfied years ago. I can think of a half dozen rifles right off the top of my head that would have handled every hunting situation I've been in but I traded them off on something else. Never did find that one gun that was gonna make me content. Think I was probably looking for something that didn't exist
Originally Posted by Oregon45
[Linked Image]

Which stock pattern is that?
Winchester Compact.
I skimmed every post. I think I only saw 2 people mention 99 Savages. Doesn't seem odd to me at all seeing as though most suffer from matte, plastic, and boltitis. If I could start over, the year would be 1961. I would be 16 years old and my dream would come true. It would be one of those "fancy" 99's I used to see at the barber shop. Yep, that's it. The barber I went to as a boy was a Savage dealer. The gun I would have bought would already be 34 years old. It would have been produced in 1927.

After many years of lusting, I FINALLY own that rfle.

[Linked Image]

It is now 87 years old, and trust me. If I had had the opportunity in 1961 to buy such a rilfe it would NOT look like it does today. It would have the same Stith mount on it but a much earlier Lyman scope. A Savage 99 in .300 Savage caliber will suit "most" north American hunting needs.
I would have gotten a 308 bolt, stainless, McMillan stock, gap camo, midrange scope.

Like this one:

[Linked Image]
A Blaser R8 Professional with three barrels- .223, 30/06, .375.

Cheating? whistle
Brad,

Yeah, I notice the recoil difference too, even with 180's, which I don't use much in the .308 but have handloaded from time to time just to see what they'll do (along with some 200's). And being another frugal Norwegian, I like 46 grains myself!

You guys don't know frugal from the Dutch. wink
A few years ago, I got a Blaser R-93 with a .270 (Leupold 2.5-8) and a .22-250 (Burris 3-9 USA Burris Plex), both barrels wear Blaser saddle mounts. I thought about selling the others, except .22 rim fires, but it just did not fly. I could not mentally pull it off.

If forced, I could live with that one. I like the rifle. It is plenty accurate. I choose the nicely European Walnut stocked and coin type engraving Prestige model. It is not lacking in pride of ownership. It works.

Perhaps I was warped as a kid. We survived WWII with only one gun, a single shot .22 and sometimes ammo was not available and if it was, perhaps only five or ten rounds. Not fun times for lots of more important reasons reasons, but it did impress me to try and have plenty of guns and a well stocked ammo closet. I do not want just l rifle.

Jack
The rifle I bought in '74 after getting out of the Army: A Parker-Ballard, Mauser-actioned .30/06 with a 4x scope. I hunted groundhogs with it, deer, and would feel well armed anywhere in the world.
Originally Posted by rgrx1276

Timney trigger
BDL bottom metal
[Linked Image]

You need to drop into the front leaning rest position and start knocking out pushups until I get tired for getting rid of that beauty! smile
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by rgrx1276

Timney trigger
BDL bottom metal
[Linked Image]

You need to drop into the front leaning rest position and start knocking out pushups until I get tired for getting rid of that beauty! smile

Still kicking myself on occasion, it was a shooter too.
BDT, need more details wink Nice stick.

1276, giving me a visual, have a Light Palma being screwed on an action very soon...last minute stretched to 22.5, was going to do a 20-21.5 - Yes, that is a nice carbine length/contour, looks highly capable of many chores, paper thru big game.

Mackay, so those SGK HPs must open very well I take it. Long ago talked to a fellow who took a drill bit to 220 MK HP and ran in an '06, said it put BIG holes in deer! Lol
Originally Posted by utah708
It MIGHT be this gun...

[Linked Image]

LH Winchester M70, custom contour Brux barrel, Legend EDGE stock, metal work by Mark Penrod. Chambered in long throated 7 Rem Mag with long magazine to match. It covers the range from open country antelope to elk in the timber.

But were it my only gun, it would have a sleek, trim wood stock to wear on sunny days.

That's a great do it all rifle!

1276, giving me a visual, have a Light Palma being screwed on an action very soon...last minute stretched to 22.5, was going to do a 20-21.5 - Yes, that is a nice carbine length/contour, looks highly capable of many chores, paper thru big game.

I have another being built but it's on a new ruger SS hawkeye action. Build is the pretty much the same but it will have NECG express single leaf rear site and banded front sight.
Mcmillan classic stock,GAP camo, dark green metalwork, 1-11 lilja in a light palma contour finished @ 20", palma 95 chamber in 308.

Scope will be different, night force 2-10x32 for a do it all package. Pics will post when the project is complete.
Sounds sweet. Look fwd to update. I know it will be a shooter.
Curious, the LP n #4 are close, what broke the tie?
Any decent .280 Rem; maybe a Sako 75 or a Kimber or Cooper. My present .280 is an A-Bolt I've used as my go-to for 20 years; if I could only keep one of my centrefires that would be her.
It MIGHT be this gun...

[Linked Image]

Pretty damned close to what I'd grab....with the bolt handle on the other side. smile
Ruger 1A 35 Whelan Leupold 3x9
I guess this is to be expected, but more than half of all choices were for either the 30-06 or 308. In my fast and dirty analysis, the 30-06 was chosen 43 times out of 106 total with the .308 chosen 20 times. Every other cartridge choice totaled less than 10 votes.

As far as scopes, Leupold was the big winner by roughly 14 to 1 over every other brand, and even though every current scope maker seems to be touting their extra-high magnification scopes, the vast majority chose something in either the 2-7/3-10 range or a fixed 4x or 6x.

My own favorite 7mm-08 hit the charts at only 7 out of 106 votes.
Well, you know I've been Jonesing for a new rifle, something along the lines of a Kimber or a Forbes in 7mm08 or .308 and then...I went out and shot my Husqvarna 30-06 this weekend. And you know, I can't justify it. And not only can I not justify a new rifle, but if I got a new rifle, I would necessarily use the Husqvarna less, and I don't want to do that, because I like it...a lot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if a man is armed with a 30-06, then everything else is just messing around trying to see how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.
If I could start all over I'd buy 4 .223's and have them restocked with McMillans and 1-8" #2 Douglas tubes.

Then I'd work up a load with the 75gr. Gay-Max and 62gr. TTSX that they all shot well.

Then I'd buy a Dillon 650.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
If I could start all over I'd buy 4 .223's and have them restocked with McMillans and 1-8" #2 Douglas tubes.

Then I'd work up a load with the 75gr. Gay-Max and 62gr. TTSX that they all shot well.

Then I'd buy a Dillon 650.

Travis

awful lot of wisdom here. the $$'s saved can all be spent on beer.
It may happen this year...

Travis
Hmmm, deflave, maybe T3 8t - drop in McM, forego plumbing repair?

Joe - Americans love the 30s, no doubt. Re: Husky '06, passed one up that was a S&W Model A IIRC, it was the Mannlicher stock, SURE was a SLICK Bolt, shoulda...., though the Mark X w/flat bolts were cool looking, STILL kick myself passing up a Rigby Mark X for $200 ....back in college when I had a lot more to learn.
Hmmm, deflave, maybe T3 8t - drop in McM, forego plumbing repair?

Joe - Americans love the 30s, no doubt. Re: Husky '06, passed one up that was a S&W Model A IIRC, it was the Mannlicher stock, SURE was a SLICK Bolt, shoulda...., though the Mark X w/flat bolts were cool looking, STILL kick myself passing up a Rigby Mark X for $200 ....back in college when I had a lot more to learn.

Nah. I have three great actions. Two are 700's and one is Howa. They're all already in McMillans. One is a .223 AI, another is a standard .223 12T, and mine is a .17Rem.

DONE loading different cartridges for different shooters. Need some commonality.

Travis
Originally Posted by BobinNH
It MIGHT be this gun...

[Linked Image]

Pretty damned close to what I'd grab....with the bolt handle on the other side. smile

A high compliment, as I admire your taste and respect your opinions.
Utah: Gracias! And back at ya!

I am humbled! smile
At the moment I think either

1. a Winchester M70 EW SS with a McMillan Compact Hunter in McCamo and a 4x33mm Leupold,

2. or maybe a stainless Win 70 FWT with a McMillan Compact Hunter EDGE in olive with black and tan speckles and a Leupold 6x36mm.

Both in .30-06. Probably take #1 as it seems a more ideal package to cover all sorts of hunting, range work and bush-whacking. The latter is more of a lightweight.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I skimmed every post. I think I only saw 2 people mention 99 Savages. Doesn't seem odd to me at all seeing as though most suffer from matte, plastic, and boltitis. If I could start over, the year would be 1961. I would be 16 years old and my dream would come true. It would be one of those "fancy" 99's I used to see at the barber shop. Yep, that's it. The barber I went to as a boy was a Savage dealer. The gun I would have bought would already be 34 years old. It would have been produced in 1927.

After many years of lusting, I FINALLY own that rfle.

[Linked Image]

It is now 87 years old, and trust me. If I had had the opportunity in 1961 to buy such a rilfe it would NOT look like it does today. It would have the same Stith mount on it but a much earlier Lyman scope. A Savage 99 in .300 Savage caliber will suit "most" north American hunting needs.

I really like my Savage 99 in 300 Savage. The best lever action design ever! But if I had to own only one rifle for everything, everywhere, it'd be a 375 H&H. Probably a Sako AV or a Mauser action rifle. For hunting Deer, Pronghorn, and Elk...a bolt action 270 Winchester is my choice.
This one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That will do nicely......
My Grandfather's Winchester Model 94. 24" Octagonal barrel in 30WCF with a William's Peep sight.

It kept my Dad and his 4 brothers and my Grandmother fed for a number of years. It has also dropped numerous whitetails and no telling how many Mule Deer and even a few elk in it's time. Grandad bought it for $13.50 in 1914.
Got mine already, I could make do with it. grin
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 270 Winchester Featherweight in a McMillan Edge and a 2.5-8X36 VXIII topping it off in Talley LW's. A 30/06 in the same would do too.
Originally Posted by raybass
Got mine already, I could make do with it. grin
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 270 Winchester Featherweight in a McMillan Edge and a 2.5-8X36 VXIII topping it off in Talley LW's. A 30/06 in the same would do too.

I like your taste in rifles. I have one almost like that one, except it has a plain ol wood stock on it blush
BSA I will take em like that all day long. My wood stock was trashed, you seen it. Yours is still pretty.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
[Linked Image]

I want one of those too. Nice Oregon!
Sorta went through this exercise a few years back, and this was what I had one of our best Canadian M70 smithies put together. Stock needs paint again and I wouldn't mind getting the metal all coated someday, but otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing. It clusters 150 or 168 TSXs with H4350.

-trued up LH M70
-Williams extractor
-Williams Orberndorf BM
-22" FW SS SM Shilen chambered in 3o-o6 Springfield
-bedded & floated in a McM Hunter's Edge
-VX3 2.5-8 in S&Ks
[Linked Image]
In hindsight, the best representative rifle in the locker of everything that appeals to me in a bolt action would be the TC Icon weathershield 30-06 with a zeiss conquest 3x9x40. Since I really prefer a hinged floor plate, I'd probably opt for an Icon Classic.
One of my favorite Campfire rifles... and a great photo to boot.

[Linked Image]
280AI
700 trued
Broughton 5C, 24" #4, 1-9, finished at .660 (pretty close to Rem mag)
McMillan Hunters Edge, bedded
Kampfeld fluted bolt
Timney
FX3 6x42 CDS
approx 7.5lbs

Although I did kind of [bleep] up - this will do everything and I don't need any other big game rifle
A M700 SPS Stainless in .308 Win. with Timney trigger assembly and Bansner stock. Scope would be Zeiss 1" tube Conquest 2-10x42 HD. I favor the 700's for weight and balance.

Of course in the real world I would have more than one rifle, it would be this one's twin in 300 WSM.
[Linked Image]
Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight with 4x leupold
Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight in 30-06 with 4x leupold

Wonder how many times this has been asked ?

My same answer .... Rem 700 / .30-06 / Leupold 3-9x40
M70 FWT Classic
8x57mm 22" barrel
Leupold 2-7x
McMillan Stock

[Linked Image]
That's the worst nightmare of my life!
While I haven't necessarily changed my mind from my original answer, I'd like to propose this gun, with two conditions: 1) Money is no object, and 2) I would only hunt deer. In that case, I'd have John Rigby or other quality builder build me a double square bridge 98 in 7x57 with a mannlicher stock of exhibition grade walnut on it, with a skeleton buttplate and grip cap. It would have a 20" barrel with an express rear and banded front sight, brass bead with a flip up ivory bead. It would of course be rust blued, and have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x on it in detachable mounts. There are a few other details, but that gets the gist of it.
I've just bought it, current production M70 featherweight in 7x57, wearing a 3-9x Kahles in Talley lightweights.
I should have kept the .308 BAR - but then I wouldn't have needed anything else, and would have missed out on, I dunno, something.
Taco280AI, I don't suppose we have to ask what chambering? Feel free to tell us about it.

Nice rifles above.

Johnfox - bet that has been said many times, "I just found it" wink
Okay, now that this question has been beaten to death, here's another - just to keep this thread going.

---

If there was only one rifle company allowed to continue production, which one should it be?

My vote is Sako, which produces Tikkas as well. Their rifles are better than everyone elses - actions, barrels, triggers, stocks. LH and RH available. Better than custom.

Tis a slam dunk. The gun snobs can shoot the Sakos. Everyone else can use a Tikka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU&feature=kp
Who would want to live in a world with only one Rifle company? Just to speak of such is Blasphemy. grin
In a world without love

243 would cover it all, and then some.

I'd maybe have a few.
Steve - agreed, I do miss the old L579s, would love to see those in todays time, same quality, and stainless to boot. That said, no beef w/current T3s and Sakos, assuming you get one that is typical, very accurate smile

MM- the 243 is a great choice for one that likes to punch paper, varmints thru deer/hogs, larger rounds do beat you up more, kill deer as well, and often have more drop/drift.
I'd likely use the Tikka on myself, were it the only choice in a hunting rifle.........
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Okay, now that this question has been beaten to death, here's another - just to keep this thread going.

---

If there was only one rifle company allowed to continue production, which one should it be?

My vote is Sako, which produces Tikkas as well. Their rifles are better than everyone elses - actions, barrels, triggers, stocks. LH and RH available. Better than custom.

Tis a slam dunk. The gun snobs can shoot the Sakos. Everyone else can use a Tikka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU&feature=kp

Ruger?

Snobs shoot #1's the rest shoot Americans.
Great, now I'm scanning gunbroker for a #1 rsi and a bearcat.

Sako don't make a nice single action.
A Forbes stainless 270 Win. with a FX-3 6X42 Heavy Duplex.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I'd likely use the Tikka on myself, were it the only choice in a hunting rifle.........

grin
I think a Marlin 336 in 30-30 would be plenty for the big game I shoot these days. I would just do some trigger work and set it up with a good peep sight arrangement and call it good maybe at an Aimpoint sight. These what ifs is good for entertainment value but little else, for us here on the fire. One rifle will never just due, and the truth of it, it would be a boring thing if it was.
Originally Posted by rosco1

grin

Tikka lovers would thank you for your sacrifice. grin
Originally Posted by T_O_M
For sheer practical, I think a Kimber 84L Montana in .280 AI with a Leupold 3.5-10X, fine duplex, CDS. It would not be wrong to go with .270 in the same rifle. Tom

This, for me.
I actually own it already: a plain, out of the box Model 70 classic 30-06, in stainless and with the factory 'Tupperware' stock. Mine has an old Vari-X III in 2.5-8 on it and is BOSS equipped. I have a number of rifles and always mean to hunt with something else, but when the time comes to get the gear ready for a hunt, I always go back to that one rifle. It is accurate, utterly reliable, and more than adequate for whatever I am likely to hunt. Going on a big game hunt without it feels a little like going bird hunting without my Chessie-just plain wrong! We have a few stories, that rifle and I, and while I have some finer or more collectible rifles, that one is my favorite. My boys will get rifles and shotguns too when they are old enough, but this one they will have to fight over when I'm dead.
It would be a Winchester 1886 High Wall in .257 Weatherby.
The one I use most now - Cooper Classic model 21 in 223 with Warne bases and Burris Signature rings, Leupold 4-12 scope. It does everything I want to do anymore.

drover
You know the old saying.There are no stupid questions???? Theres absolutely no one here gonna only own one Rifle.
Originally Posted by Huntz
You know the old saying.There are no stupid questions???? Theres absolutely no one here gonna only own one Rifle.

Too true.

I bet, though, that we've all been asked by none rifle loonies what one hunting rifle they should get to have the most versatile one.
Iv gone thru the same scenario over the last few years trying to find my go to gun . Since Iv got back into serious hunting Iv been thru an encore 270 likely the most accurate gun Iv ever owned . Then I bought a Remington model 7 whitetail in 300 WSM likely should have kept that one . Then a Remington 7600 in 280 rem . To the point I'm at today I'm awaiting delivery of a cs Forbes 24B in 30-06 and already feeling buyers remorse . Im beginning to think its the mechanic not the tools .
If you could Start ALL over - and ONLY own 1 Rifle + Scope

I would get another

Snake
Model 70 classic with laminated stock chambered in 300 wsm, Burris 3x9 fullfield scope.
Pre-'64 model 70 in .257 Roberts with fixed 6x. That would do it all for me.
I'm with Kevin, but my pre-64 Bob burned up in a fire 15 years ago.

A very good friend gave me a Remington M7 custom shop Mannlicher in .257 Roberts and I believe I like it more. Less weight, better accuracy and it does all I need to do with a game rifle. I have a Leupold 2.5X8 but could be happy with a six.
NULA .30-06 with 24 inch barrel and a Leupold 6x42.
A 7 pound CRF stainless barreled .308 with a front sight to allow the use of a backup peep. Would also like a backup red dot or one of those Leupold prismatic sights ( no batteries ). Primary scope would be a good Leupold variable 3-9 or thereabouts in QR rings.
Lots of calibers would be fine, but there is a multitude of bullets in a variety of weights and shapes as well as a ton of cast bullet molds, .22 caliber sabots and sub-caliber inserts available for .30 caliber rifles.
An '06 would be just as good for most uses, and better for some, but there's more cheap .308 brass out there now as well as match grade stuff.
A good alternative, especially here in the East, would be a good .50 caliber in-line, unless you need to hold off hordes of zombies.
Good stuff guys.
My Sako Finnbear{circa'68] in .270 Win with Leupold 2x7VXII. That is the ONLY rifle I need for what I hunt out West. Best damn rifle I've ever owned or shot.
Kimber 84L 30-06 Tallys Leupold VX3 3.5-10
Sako has NEVER been a bad choice IME, miss the ones I sold frown

One of these days I will have to find out what I have been missing or not in the Kimbers...really wish the contours were standard sporter...
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by rosco1

grin

Tikka lovers would thank you for your sacrifice. grin

Because the only thing a Tikka lover loves more than a cheap rifle is a free rifle! wink

Does this count as "one"?

[Linked Image]
No, but I bet it would be a lot of fun on a rabbit warren.
I have the Remington 722 rebarreled to 308 by the original owner that I bought for my late wife to hunt with in Africa. Original birch stock with a Pachmayr pad and a 4X Leupold scope.

I'm 12 for 13 attempts with this rifle, which my son has now claimed for his own.

Years back Mule Deer wrote and article about, I recall, "honest rifles." This is the most honest one of the ten or fifteen I currently own and the hundred or so that have passed through my hands over the years.
My old HVA lightweight in 306 w/2.5 weaver (2 spares)-Muddy
One Rifle One Scope for a Last Do All Hunting Shooter, at my age of almost 70, knowledge and interest levels...really hard to pick just one when you've had lots to chose from in the harem all your life.

Off the shelf and no thought for expense ...SAKO/Tikka or M70 SA, flip a coin on 6.5x55-260 or 7-08, VorTex Viper 2.5x10 HS, only do a matching pair in wood/blue & SS/syn. 120-140gr'ers @ 28-2900fps will cover my world for what time I have left.
Ron
If I were to only have one rifle, I would pick one of these at random; mount a Leupold 6x36, 6x42 or 4x or in the case of the third from bottom, leave the Lyman sight; go hunting. Chamberings include .270, .270 Weatherby, 7mm-08, .308, .30-06, .300 and .338.

[Linked Image]
Remington M700LSS in 280 rem and a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop NPR1 scope.
I've already got it.

kimber Montana 300wsm
tallys with swaro z3
Action: Defiance or Stiller
Barrel: Bartlein or Brux stainless 22" barrel (Remington sporter contour)
Cartridge: 308 Winchester or 30-06
Stock: McMillan "Classic" swirly (25% black, 25% tan, 25%, light grey, 25% White)
Scope: Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44
Bullet: Nosler 150 Partition
Powder: 308 (Varget), 30-06 (H-4350)

I'd stick with my old 338 Win Mag. It is doing really well for me.

[Linked Image]
I think those dogs are contemplating peeing on the rifle...
Remington Sendero in .300 WM with a Kahles 3 x 12 x 56 and a custom load.

Once I accepted the weight as just the "cost of doing business", I never looked back.

Other toys? Sure what man doesn't have other toys... Just got this one in .300 WM. 1999 unfired... oh boy!!!

Or this 9.3 x 62 Mauser
project... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...mington_721_conversion_to_9.#Post9640188

Or ???

Attached picture April 12 20155 030a.jpg
I'd be very happy with a Ruger Hawkeye African 375 and a VX3 2.5-8 Loopy. 30-06 180gr trajectory and a 270gr hammer works fine for anything I care to shoot at any distance I care to shoot.

I also like to have iron sights as an option. wink

[Linked Image]

I haven't changed my mind.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'd stick with my old 338 Win Mag. It is doing really well for me.

[Linked Image]

Very fine choice. I like my 338 as well and it's good enough for anything that walks NA:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

06 half stock SB glass.
For big game, my old m.700 in .300 Win. been #1 for 45 years or so.
Originally Posted by efw
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My 1st high powered centerfire:

Mauser 1996 American
30-06 Spr
Montana Sling
TLWs
Leupy VX3 2.5-8x or FXII 6x 36mm w/ dots

I'm working on those last two this winter/spring. It's currently got standard low rings & a FFII 3-9x 40mm w/ BP.

Loaded w/ 168 NBTs & Hunter it shoots better than I can, though I can pop a water-filled milk jug on the first shot from a cold barrel out to 400.

Spend as I may on new customs this one is still the measure against which all my big game rifles are measured. I paid $359 for it brand new in '00.

I haven't changed my mind since the question was posed, though I did end up with a VX1 3-9x 40mm w/ LRD.
A M-70 classic stainless synthetic 375 H&H with a 2.5-10x24 Nightforce in a set of Talley QD rings, factory irons would be set for a 50 yard zero, 270 gr TSX's at 2800 and 300 gr Woodleigh solids at 2700 fps would take care of all game anywhere, up close or out to around 400 yards, rain or shine, we'd eat.
my pre 64 m70 fwt in .308 with straight leupy 4x, like granpa said....all things in moderation.
Originally Posted by jimred
my pre 64 m70 fwt in .308 with straight leupy 4x, like granpa said....all things in moderation.

Nicely said, nicely done... makes for a good life.
Having no prior knowledge when I was 17, I chose a 308 Winchester. Having learned much over the last 40 years, at age 57 I'd still choose a 308 Winchester.
Originally Posted by gunner500
A M-70 classic stainless synthetic 375 H&H with a 2.5-10x24 Nightforce in a set of Talley QD rings, factory irons would be set for a 50 yard zero, 270 gr TSX's at 2800 and 300 gr Woodleigh solids at 2700 fps would take care of all game anywhere, up close or out to around 400 yards, rain or shine, we'd eat.

Gunner, you are just a stud... laugh . I'll have to admit, Brad makes a lot of sense by choosing the 308 win. What can we not take down with a good 308 win? However, I tried a few of them and just can't bring myself to liking the short little case. Grew up using the 30-06 and am strongly biased towards it. I'd be happy with using my 30-06 for the rest of my life on anything, even though I said my 338 earlier. A good 270 would also suffice. Just too hard having just 1 rifle or 1 cartridge sick
Originally Posted by jimred

Nicely said, nicely done... makes for a good life.

Yes, but quite boring.. laugh
A Remmy 700 in 7-08 with a 3X9 Leupy perched in a McMillan stock. I was moments away from ordering the stock for the 700 CDL I had in said caliber when a good kid needed a good deer rifle. So, I parted with it and kicked myself in the azz ever since. If only I could get enough money out of my two '06's to cover the price of another 7-08 I would do it but they both shoot so well it's hard to justify it.
Originally Posted by CZ550
What I already have as my favorite for the past 18 years: a Ruger #1 in .45-70, followed by another #1 Ruger in .45-70 that I had "improved" by lengthening the throat by .30". The first is now owned by my second son.

It has very nice wood, 22" tube, Nikon 2-7 X 32 shotgun scope. Weight with 5 cartridges on the stock and sling is 8.6 lbs. There are several very good loads that shoot under 1.5" and 3 or 4 premium loads that shoot MOA when I do my part.

Ballistics are anything from plinking loads, to medium cast bullet hunting loads to 450 A-Frame at 2300 fps to 500gr Hornady at 2200 fps. All loads under 65,000 psi.

Current hunting loads are mostly 350-grainers: Speer, Hornady and TSX. at 2250 fps to 2550 fps. Another load just developed is the 300 TSX at 2645 fps. It's my favorite "walk-about" rifle for anything from coyote to moose.

I really don't need anything else. When it comes down to one only, that will be it!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I had a 45-70 #1 and won the wood lottery as well with it. It wore a NECG peep and was accurate as any rifle I ever had. I ran 350 gr hard cast wide flat points out of it with heavy loads. Not sure why I sold it. One of those stupid moments I guess. I never seen a large (500 plus dressed on a DNR scale) black bear fall so fast. It was my hammer of Thor. Scratching my head again thinking about it.
Finally getting back to posting: I would use the one that I started out with back in 1961--a Model 70 Fwt. in .30-06 with a quality 4X scope.
My first centerfire rifle was a BLR 308, pre81 I got when I was 12 or 13.
Other than putting a leupold 2.5-8 I'm Talley's I haven't changed it.
I still hunt with it every year.
Originally Posted by 257ROBT
I have had the perfect rifle for a while, but had been too big of a bonehead to realize it. My Ruger 77 Ultralight in 257 Roberts topped of with a Leupold 1-4�20 has worked pretty good. I got side tracked for a while but have come back around. I recently found that it likes 100 grain core-lokts loaded by Wisconsin Cartridge Company. Time to seriously consider trimming the fat now.

If I were to start over I'd go with a Kimber Montana or Forbes in 243 Win with a Leupold 4x.

Dale

I have trimmed that fat! I have one left to sell and I don't miss any I have gotten rid of. My Ruger Ultralight in 257 Roberts will do everything I am going to do from hear on out. If I would get a different "one" rifle it will be a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts. Dale
My latest plan for the perfect hunting rifle is....

Kimber MT 84L

270 Win

Leupold 6x36LR

Talley LW's

H4831sc

140 Accubond or 150 Partition

I can't imagine a better 'open' country, walk around, deer hunting rifle.
Sammo.........270????

You gotta lay off the light beer..... grin
This is an old thread...might have posted it already but at the risk of saying it again... smile

I actually did it back in 1995-96 or so; all the rifles got sold...all the 300's, 7 mags, 338's 257's 7x57's,280's....everything. All I had left was SamO's choice, but a pre 64 M70 FW in 270. It wore a couple of scopes but mostly a 4X.

This lasted 4 or so years but I realized how stupid it was to not own a 375H&H so bought it back.
As of now I would say my model 70 EW BACO made in South Carolina (I know BSA is cringing right now LOL) in a 325 wsm wearing a leupold 3-9 x33 vx scope. Capable of taking whatever walks in North America. Using 200gr accubonds would not hesitate to go brn bear hunting in AK. If I ever luck into a decent priced stainless classic model 70 in a 338 win mag then that might be it smile
Sammo.........270????

You gotta lay off the light beer..... grin

It affects the fit of the loafers. grin
If it doesn't plan on eating me,my win. m70 in .308 has everything I need (power---low recoil---ease of handling---etc).It has taken 300+ pound whitetails and NFLD. moose with no problems.Now if it wants to eat me,you can't go big enough!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Gunner, you are just a stud... laugh . I'll have to admit, Brad makes a lot of sense by choosing the 308 win. What can we not take down with a good 308 win? However, I tried a few of them and just can't bring myself to liking the short little case. Grew up using the 30-06 and am strongly biased towards it. I'd be happy with using my 30-06 for the rest of my life on anything, even though I said my 338 earlier. A good 270 would also suffice. Just too hard having just 1 rifle or 1 cartridge sick

LOL, no, if we are down to one rifle apiece we gotta be able to kill a wild bronco or one traveling 75 mph loaded with groceries. laugh

There is a definite case for the 308 or ANY military round, ammo will be there, and of course it lends itself well to an AR trye semi/full auto platform.
Glad your sporting another 375 in the safes Bob. wink

We all need at least one rifle in this grandest of old cartridges if for no other reason than the 'cool' nostalgia factor.
300 Weatherby MKV with a Leupold VX-6 2X10
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My latest plan for the perfect hunting rifle is....

Kimber MT 84L

270 Win

Leupold 6x36LR

Talley LW's

H4831sc

140 Accubond or 150 Partition

I can't imagine a better 'open' country, walk around, deer hunting rifle.

I put together the same a bit ago minus the LR. Have a handful of bags of 140 AB blems. Hoping to get out with it this week.

The 308 is my favorite round, and will be what I use for the rest of my hunting life.

So, what is your favorite load(s) for it?
Originally Posted by Reloder28

The 308 is my favorite round, and will be what I use for the rest of my hunting life.

So, what is your favorite load(s) for it?

A 165-168 Bullet / Lapua Brass / Fed 210M / 45.5 - 46.0 Varget
A 280Remington w/FXIII 6X42 w/LR dots. All a man needs in the lower 48. That includes a 175gr Partition for grizzly. powdr
I would go 257 Roberts or 243. No bears on my menu
Remington 660 .308 and Leupold 2-7X.
The last one I bought of course !
Tikka T3 Superlight 270 Winchester With Leupold VX1 3-9x40
Light ,accurate,Stainless ,Low recoil.
375 H&H Win Model 70 and Leupold 3-9X. It's the one I use most often.
Damn Mike, I thought I was being practical when I said 280Rem w/6x42 and there you go suggesting the 308...in a carbine no less, w/a puny 2-7. powdr
Starting all over with today's components wouldn't be starting all over.

So, to start over "then" when I started, I'd have gone with a Remington 700 in .30-06, with as light a profile as they offered then. Eventually, it would have been wearing a synthetic stock by McMillan or Bansner. The optics would have been a Leupold likely in 3-9x, but eventually a 6x42. Binos would have been Swaro SLC 8x30. Bullets would have been Nosler Partitions.

Starting over with today's options available would make it a Kimber Montana in 7-08 or .308, possibly a .280 or .30-06. 6x42 FX-3, Swaro SLC 8x30. Bullets would be Barnes TTSX.
I think with today's "stuff" I'd start with a Kimber Montana in .280AI with a Leupold 3.5-10X. An identical .270 would also be in the running.

Based on the tags I've had in the last 2 years and preference points I'm accumulating my "menu" would include deer, elk, black bear, cougar, and antelope.

Tom
I haven't been on the fire for quite sometime as I've been pretty busy offloading many of my firearms. I'm down to a 270, 223 tikka T3s that I doubt I'll ever get rid of. Also keeping a Savage 22 bolt action.

I've got just a few more to offload and one rifle I want to acquire and then I believe my firearm acquiring days are permanently over.

My one rifle of choice to acquire is a winchester model 70 in 270.

Shod
I think my Kimber Montana in 280AI shooting 175gr bullets with a Leupold 3-9 meets all my needs for any hunting I do. However, if, back in 1970, I could have had the same rifle in 9.3x62 with a 2-7 scope I sure would have saved a ton of money though the decades.

But then, what fun would that have been? Terry
Originally Posted by powdr
Damn Mike, I thought I was being practical when I said 280Rem w/6x42 and there you go suggesting the 308...in a carbine no less, w/a puny 2-7. powdr

I'm something of a minimalist. smile
Glad your sporting another 375 in the safes Bob. wink

We all need at least one rifle in this grandest of old cartridges if for no other reason than the 'cool' nostalgia factor.

Gunner no kidding I feel naked without one.Even if i'm not presently using it... cry

I always figured you don't need a 375 often but when you do, you need it pretty bad. There is no substitute. wink
Appears that a Pre 64 action model 70 featherweight in 30-06 wearing a Leup VX3 2.5x8 would lead the list. Excellent choice years ago and still is. GW
Originally Posted by powdr
Mike, I thought I was being practical when I said 280Rem w/6x42 and there you go suggesting the 308...powdr

6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Late to this thread.

I'd be hard pressed to get rid of my Al Biesen 270 that looks a lot like a twin to Jack O'Connor's and wears a 6x42 Leupold in Conetrol mounts.

But if starting over, and getting only one rifle, there is a lot to be said for a NULA in 30-06 with a 6x36 Leupold.
© 24hourcampfire