Home
Posted By: loading4mags scope shims - 03/09/14
I recently took a scope off a friends rifle & it had shims between the scope & the rings, I would think they should be under the mounts if they were needed at all or is there something I don't know Thanks in advance for all replys
Posted By: grovey Re: scope shims - 03/09/14
They were in the right place. Better options out there though.
Posted By: crittergetter Re: scope shims - 03/09/14
Yes, my gunsmith here in town had to shim a set of rings on my Weatherby 7 mag and I watched him put them under the ring bases.They worked just fine,no problem at all.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: scope shims - 03/09/14
Shims will work in either place--inside rings or under bases--but sometimes rings misaligned enough to require shimming will be out of alignment with each other. Not always, though. It helps to have an alignment rod to check.
Posted By: obie458 Re: scope shims - 03/09/14
I recently had to shim a scope so I used the Burris signature rings with the Pos-Align offset inserts. It worked great and its so simple. It was much easier than dealing with standard shims.
Posted By: loading4mags Re: scope shims - 03/10/14
thanks for the info was helpful
Posted By: Tamale Re: scope shims - 03/10/14
I apologize for a rather simple question. It's the alignment bar that you lay in the rings that shows you where to shim?
Posted By: Tamale Re: scope shims - 03/10/14
So nobody knows how to tell if things are misaligned? There has to be a tool.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: scope shims - 03/10/14
Yes, they're called alignment bars. There are several makes with different features, but you can also use a 1" or 30mm pipe. You mount them just like a scope, then see where they don't fit correctly.
© 24hourcampfire