Home
Are the front action screws on rifles with a full-length bedded barrel typically torqued down tighter than one that's not FL bedded? If so, what's the reason for this?
No.
Thanks.
I always wondered what a good average ft lbs of torque for action screws should be...I just always got em tight and left it at that.
I think that's the case with the front screw.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I always wondered what a good average ft lbs of torque for action screws should be...I just always got em tight and left it at that.

IIRC 40 inch pounds front, and 12 inch pounds tang were suggested for a typical bolt action rifle.
I wish I knew where to look that up!

Mark
The FAT wrench from Midway insert recommends 40 in/lbs front and rear for stocks that aren't pillar bedded and 65 in/lbs for those that are.
A well know smith says in a properly bedded stock, the screws are only there to keep the action from falling out of the stock. If you have to use the screws for a tuning aid, the bedding is not stress free.
65 in/lb for a Rem 700 in an H&S stock. The M24 comes with a preset torque wrench for that setting. The nut on Leupold MKIV rings uses the same as well.
My smith (Bob White)beds and pillar beds all my customs. He says to tighten front to 40 inch pounds and rear to 35. He also says to tighten/loosen rear first in the final torqueing and removing.

My rifles were all put in laminated stocks if that makes a difference
aalf,

That's been my experience.

As a more general comment, don't know why tightening the rear screw first would help anything, much less loosening it first.
I go 55 inch/lbs, front and rear....

Tony
A little tip here , stand your rifle up grip end of forearm , put one finger on barrel. lightly . loosen screws any order back and forth . if barrel moves at the time of loosening your bedding is not right.
I'm not sure what the significance is with the order of tightening and loosening the action screws as I mentioned above. It was the answer that I got when I asked the question, possibly only pertaining to laminated stocks, which all mine are. He has 50 years of precision gun making, bench rest shooting, and was president of the International Benchrest Shooting Association for 7 terms and still sits on the board.

Who are we to question someone with those credentials. I know I can't. This question has probably been addressed before in the gunsmithing section. More than likely a few times.

I guess we will all do what continues to work for each of us. There is always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

The Biesens, Al and Roger, torque their fine rifles "farmer tight". I asked Roger about it, and he replied something along the line of Aalf's comment above.

He also noted that the north/south orientation of his guard screws allows the tightness to be easily repeated, and is also a tell tale of a screw coming loose.
© 24hourcampfire