Home
Posted By: RevMike Length of Pull - 04/16/14
What's the correct way to get an accurate measure of length of pull on a rifle?
If I remember reading correctly, you measure from the middle of the trigger, parallel to the bore, back to the face of the recoil pad.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Length of Pull - 04/16/14

I always measured from the middle of the trigger straight to the middle of the recoil pad, without reference to the bore. That's wrong?
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Length of Pull - 04/16/14
tjm

I've always heard that that is the standard way of measuring LOP.

Steve
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Length of Pull - 04/16/14
I've always heard the same...
i.e. parallel to the bore.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Length of Pull - 04/16/14
Dunlap's book and Brister's book, happened to be within grabbing distance, show pull as a straight line from where the finger rests on the trigger to the middle of the butt.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Length of Pull - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Dunlap's book and Brister's book, happened to be within grabbing distance, show pull as a straight line from where the finger rests on the trigger to the middle of the butt.

That is correct. Parallel to the bore has no bearing on the correct LOP for a stock.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Length of Pull - 04/17/14
I always cut the length of pull short on my hunting rifles so they will fit when wearing a heavy coat and underwear in cold weather. I would rather have LOP a little short in the summer and have them fit in the winter during Big Game Season
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Length of Pull - 04/17/14
Or you can use this - Gun Nut II

The machine screw threaded inserts allow you to repeatedly and easily change recoil pads or add spacers without messing up screw holes in the wood. I use that on a favorite shotgun, add spacers so it's a little long for trap, thin pad for late season birds with thick clothing.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Length of Pull - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Or you can use this - Gun Nut II

The machine screw threaded inserts allow you to repeatedly and easily change recoil pads or add spacers without messing up screw holes in the wood. I use that on a favorite shotgun, add spacers so it's a little long for trap, thin pad for late season birds with thick clothing.

That thing is genius. I hope whoever came up with that was able to retire off the royalties and is sipping rum at West End.
Then I stand corrected.
Posted By: Rovering Re: Length of Pull - 04/17/14
I am tempted to try aircraft quarter-turn fasteners on pads both to try different pads for different seasons and uses and to have euro style stock storage and a recoil pad.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/category/quarter-turn-fasteners
Posted By: shootem Re: Length of Pull - 04/18/14
tag
© 24hourcampfire