Home
Posted By: taz4570 Chronograph Discussion - 07/09/14
Hey guys,

Saw a thread somewhere on the 'fire regarding preferred chronographs. Can't remember the name of one of top picks. Looking to replace a broken Shooting Chrony and an Oehler that I can't seem to operate. Probably too smart for me.

One of the top picks was a name I'm not familiar with. Maybe some one can recall the discussion and the name?

Thanks.
Posted By: Ready Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/09/14
Was looking to replace a Pro Chrony Pal. Had occasion to double measure with an german 800 � unit by W. Mehls.

End of story - the PAL worked perfect. Once thus calibrated, a round by 9,3x62 destroyed it...

Just bought another.
ProChrono
Posted By: jetbrook Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/09/14
Magneto Speed
Just had a new Magneto Speed lll out this afternoon for the first time while working up some loads. Only dropped one reading which was my fault compared to what would have likely been several-to-more with the Chrony not to mention the constant jockeying with the Chrony so as not to shoot it..

Edit: Sorry, not a gun writer though.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/10/14
Originally Posted by taz4570
Looking to replace a broken Shooting Chrony and an Oehler that I can't seem to operate.

Thanks.

You are from one end of the spectrum to the other....the Shooters chrony is broken before you purchase it, truly a POS !!

An Oehler you cant operate ?? confused Oehler is hands down the best chronograph on the market. what model and what problems are you having ??
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/10/14
Beg pardon, my Chrony has been around and functioned perfectly for 15 years, until a hunting partner blew the velocity screen with a dirty load.

I recall another name as mentioned by JB.
I recall another name as mentioned by JB.

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
ProChrono
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/10/14

I just bought a Pro Chrono to replace a shot-up Shooting Chrony.

If (when) I shoot-up the Pro Chrono, I'll have a look at that Magneto thing.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/10/14
Beg pardon, my Chrony has been around and functioned perfectly for 15 years, until a hunting partner blew the velocity screen with a dirty load.

You should thank him and then go get an Oehler ! laugh
As boatanchor asked, what seems to be the problem with the Oehler?
I have a Pro Chrono and works pretty good for the money. The Magneto is nice too, but I don't like the idea of load testing with a device hanging off the barrel.
I have seen Chrony's record up to 200fps more than an Oehler 35P but that was when they first appeared.
The first one was Green and then a Red one appeared. No experience with current versions.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/10/14
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have seen Chrony's record up to 200fps more than an Oehler 35P ...

I have seen Chrony's record up to 200fps LESS than my reloading manuals said. frown
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/11/14
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
ProChrono

This one works very well for me.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/11/14
ProChrono Digital
Posted By: SEdge Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/12/14
I have been using a Pact Model 1 for 20 years and don't remember it ever missing a shot. Seems to be accurate, placed it in line with an Ohler that the gun club I use to shoot at had and it was with in 5 to 10 feet per second matching.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/12/14
Thanks, guys. JB informed that it was indeed the ProChrono.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/15/14
Thanks for answering the question what is wrong with the chronograph that is better than the ProChrono sick
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/15/14
I have a Pro Chrono with digital display for sale.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/17/14
I have used a Pro Chrono (the same one) for over 30 years. It is still going and the new ones cost less than mine did.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/19/14
i use the Pact Ballistic Computer with built in printer and it has never failed. I also had the Chrony and let my buddy borrow it, one shot to close with his muzzle loader end of the Chrony . I replaced it with the Pact
To any of you guys with the Magneto Speed, do you think it effects accuracy?

Edit: that is as it's strapped to the barrel?
Posted By: GreBb Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/30/14
My experience is that it does not affect accuracy, but does affect point of impact.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/31/14
Originally Posted by BBerg
My experience is that od does not affect accuracy, but dooes affect point of impact.

I have the same experience. No effect on accuracy. Remember, the bayonet thing weighs maybe 2 ozs. It's very light.

Bob
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Chronograph Discussion - 07/31/14
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7573054/1

dave
© 24hourcampfire