Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Al Miller - 07/28/14
I pulled my new issue of Rifle out of the mailbox today and was sorry to read about the passing of Al Miller.

He was a practical, no nonsense writer who shared his vast knowledge and experience for many years and I, for one, will greatly miss his writing.

I hope his passing was gentle and that he's gone on to where the elk tags come easy.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Bad news..
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
RIP, prays to his family.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
He was a good man, and a great writer. WWII vet, too. That was where he learned to respect the 8x57. Look up Rifle magazine, March 2009.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
He seemed like good stuff. Stuff of another generation of "we" types that's getting rare.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Was he the gun writer who penned, "those that think the 8mm Mauser is a pop gun, never dodged bullets from one..."
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
So sad. frown
Posted By: kududude Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14

Al and I go way back; Al was a friend and a danged good one.

Go with God, my dear friend ... I promise to pray for your beautiful soul daily.

kd

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
I wrote to him at Rifle. He went out of his way to respond.I always liked his writings because he was eminently practical and usually on the money about a lot of things.

He seemed like a truly decent guy (a gentleman, rarer today) from the great WW II generation who are sadly passing or already gone. I miss not having guys like him around.He will be missed.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Who's going to fill their shoes?

RIP, Sir.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Rest in peace, Mr. Miller.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
RIP Mr. Miller - thanks for all the knowledge you shared.

I recall one article not that long ago, where he was testing a Ruger in .416 Rigby. And was not necessarily sticking to the published load data grin

I remember thinking to myself, damn he can't be young, being a WWII vet, and here he is benching a fierce kicking rifle, with extra-energetic loads. Must been a tough son of a gun, too grin

Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Originally Posted by Seafire
Was he the gun writer who penned, "those that think the 8mm Mauser is a pop gun, never dodged bullets from one..."

Yes.

I'll miss his writing. RIP.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Loved his writings, RIP..
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Al Miller - 07/28/14
Originally Posted by Seafire

Yes, he went on to tell how badly his ship was torn up when it was strafed by a Luftwaffe fighter in WWII.

I always watched for his articles when he was active. One of my favorites.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Al Miller - 07/29/14
Loved his articles on the 6.5X55 (I don't use this one), and his work-up of shot loads for snakes (which I use regularly)
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Al Miller - 07/30/14
I just read one of his articles in an old Rifle last night. He was indeed a writer I'm going to miss.
© 24hourcampfire