Home
Posted By: RevMike WR .318 Express - 08/13/14
Folks:

Over on Guns International there is an old Westley Richards .318 WR Express. It's a neat looking old rifle in a neat old caliber. But I noticed something as I was looking at the pictures. Check these out. I don't know if these are the proof marks or not, but they seem to be stamped upside down. I can't imagine the barrel ever having been removed as all the furniture is right. I just thought this was odd. Do you think maybe the guys in the shop were having gin instead of tea in their cups one day?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: WR .318 Express - 08/13/14
What is that? A Remington? grin
Posted By: RevMike Re: WR .318 Express - 08/13/14
No man, it's Westley Richards. The bolt handle is still there!!
Posted By: Rovering Re: WR .318 Express - 08/13/14
Is there a brewery near Westly Richards?

British breweries are reputed to have run lunch and tea rooms for not only their own but nearby companies employees with free beer.

LandRovers with assembly oddities are sometimes called 'Old Peculiers' because of one such reputed relationship between a Rover factory and a Theakston brewery.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Cool old Rover! Gotta have an old WR to carry around in it. cool
Seriously though, I wonder why that stamp is upside down. Here's a link to the GB site that has a boat-load of pictures on it. From the looks of it, the stock may have also been repaired at one time, but I'll be danged if I can see any cracks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=434763791
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: WR .318 Express - 08/13/14
Have you bid on it yet,Rev? grin

That firearm has "class" written all over it.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

You know, Elk, I didn't. You're right about it having "class" written all over it, but with my eyes I'd have to scope it, clear up why the bloomin' caliber stamp is upside down (a note to WR would probably do that), probably have to have it rebored to something else since the cordite has probably eaten away the insides, etc.

But, you know, even at the asking price it ain't so bad. Know anyone who really likes old African calibers? Hmmm...why don't you buy it? whistle
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
Think I can talk the wife into letting me buy that?

Posted By: RevMike Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
Lots of class, like you said.

But look at some if the pics on the GB site. Does the stock look repaired? Are those brass tacks and plugs holding things together?
Posted By: ingwe Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
Originally Posted by RevMike
No man, it's Westley Richards. The bolt handle is still there!!

Touche'
Yes,the stock is repaired. If you look at one of the close up pics near the end,there is a crack above the trigger/magazine that goes to the plug behind the trigger guard.

Just broke my heart. frown
Might still be a shooter, just at a bigger discount. Bet one of the fellows on the gunsmith forum could fix it right up.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
I can see a crack there. Looks like it's holding though.

Huntington has Bertram cases! Only $95.98

.......per 20!
And Woodleigh bullets...that's some expensive shooting.
Might still be a shooter, just at a bigger discount. Bet one of the fellows on the gunsmith forum could fix it right up.
Yup and then you could kill lots of pigs with it.
Sort of heavy for feral hogs, don't you think?
Posted By: Mathsr Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
I wouldn't worry so much about the stamping being upside down. The broken wrist of the stock (it has three pins and a dowel holding it together) would worry me a lot more and the fact that, unless I missed it, the seller didn't address the condition of the bore.

Another thing that bothers me is that the caliber is marked on top of the barrel, but I don't see the name Westley Richards anywhere. A Westley Richards 425 mag I used to own years ago, had the name "Westley Richards" spelled out on it. Maybe that's the way they did it on their lower end rifles�.But it is something I'd have to know for sure before I plunked down $ for a WR marked rifle.

It is cool looking, but I just can't see anything special about it and I can see a bunch that really make me question this one.
Not with iron sights and the range you shoot them at.

IIRC the .318 WR is kinda like a .338-06,maybe a little slower with a 250 gr bullet,but it'll knock the snot out of them pigs. wink
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I wouldn't worry so much about the stamping being upside down. The broken wrist of the stock (it has three pins and a dowel holding it together) would worry me a lot more and the fact that, unless I missed it, the seller didn't address the condition of the bore.

Another thing that bothers me is that the caliber is marked on top of the barrel, but I don't see the name Westley Richards anywhere. A Westley Richards 425 mag I used to own years ago, had the name "Westley Richards" spelled out on it. Maybe that's the way they did it on their lower end rifles�.But it is something I'd have to know for sure before I plunked down $ for a WR marked rifle.

It is cool looking, but I just can't see anything special about it and I can see a bunch that really make me question this one.

All good points. I suppose a note to WR would help authenticate it one way or the other.
Elk, everything I've read says its ballistically about the same. But at the ranges I shoot my 7x57 knocks the snot out of them too. I might try a 175 gr just to see what it does. It killed Corbett's cats; bet it'll kill my pigs.
Posted By: mudhen Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
Think I can talk the wife into letting me buy that?

If you do, it's gonna cost you!
Posted By: djs Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
It is interesting that the proof marks are not just upside down, but do not line up and are on a diagonal.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
The proof marks weren't put on by the firearm manufacturer, but by the proof house. Looks like London Proof House marks to me, but I might not be right about that. I can't make out the marks very well with my computer's picture. I doubt the proof house cared much about alignment of stamps and lettering like a manufacturer like Westley Richards would.

Elk, everything I've read says its ballistically about the same. But at the ranges I shoot my 7x57 knocks the snot out of them too. I might try a 175 gr just to see what it does. It killed Corbett's cats; bet it'll kill my pigs.
True,there you go again making sense. laugh

Mudhen,yup in more ways than there are stars in the sky. whistle laugh

Just remember, you have to shoot it one-handed while holding a bird's nest in the other-

.......and if you miss, the pig gets to eat you!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14

"class", meaning this thread is innoculated against the likes of BigShit.... Sweet rifle. Been on the hunt for one for a while now.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just remember, you have to shoot it one-handed while holding a bird's nest in the other-

.......and if you miss, the pig gets to eat you!

That's right! And if I remember, I have to not only shoot one-handed, but I have to start with the rifle more or less behind me and then slowly swing it around before touching it off.

And if I miss, the pig gets to eat me! grin

I'm catching up on reading some of Kenneth Anderson's books right now. Man, between he and Corbett they had a heck of a time in India!
By the way, check out the pictures at the beginning of this site. This is a .318 WR that has been rebuilt. Look at the very last picture and enlarge the size on your screen. I'll be danged if it's not the same proof marks, stamped in the very same way as the one I posted!

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?27371-318-Westley-Richards

It looks like what Mathsr said.
Posted By: krupp Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
Saw a W.R. 318 made by Vickers Armstrong about 15 years ago.
Decent shape and decent price but the ammo was about $8 a round....
Originally Posted by krupp

I think it's strictly a roll-your-own proposition now. From what I understand it's pretty easy to make from .30-06 brass...assuming the bore is in decent shape. Otherwise, a rebore or rebarrel would be in order.

I'm thinking it'd make a great project gun for Elk.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"class", meaning this thread is innoculated against the likes of BigShit.... Sweet rifle. Been on the hunt for one for a while now.

I'm not sure I'm tracking with the BS reference, but I'm betting if you called the folks who have this they might knock a few bucks off. You'd probably have the only one in Florida...at the least the only one still hunted.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: WR .318 Express - 08/14/14
From what I have seen of these guns, if it was a Westley Richards factory gun it would be marked as such on the floor plate typically. So my guess is while it maybe a product of an English gunsmith/rifle maker in a WR cartridge/chambering, I don't believe WR made it.

If I were interested in it as a shooter I certainly would ask the seller for a chamber/bore cast of the throat or a have someone competant bore scope before the sale went final.

I think it's strictly a roll-your-own proposition now. From what I understand it's pretty easy to make from .30-06 brass...assuming the bore is in decent shape. Otherwise, a rebore or rebarrel would be in order.

If you only knew my project guns. wink

Jorge,AGREED!

My old, feeble memory is telling me they have something like a .330 bore. Sound right to you?
Yes.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My old, feeble memory is telling me they have something like a .330 bore. Sound right to you?

Yep.

I rolled this little girl with a factory Remington 240gr load from an old 444T. Who needs yet "another" elephant gun?? By the way, living proof that camo isn't always an absolute necessity.

[Linked Image]
A .444 Marlin is a long ways from being an "elephant" gun. wink
A .444 Marlin is a long ways from being an "elephant" gun. wink

That's what people used to say to Bell. grin

But since I'm not likely to encounter any pachyderms on our lease, we'll never get the chance to find out for sure.
Right,until you are charged by a runaway elephant from the circus. smile
Right,until you are charged by a runaway elephant from the circus. smile

Believe it or not, not far from our lease is an elephant preserve (no public access) where retired elephants are kept. I'm just waiting for one to escape!!

All this talk of hunting and shooting has given me the itch to head out to the lease. It's probably under water but I think I'm gonna give it a try.
Half the geezers in the Shenandoah Valley dress just like that, all year long.

You sure you're livin' in Florida?
Yeah, but it was cold so I had my winter clothes on.
Elk, about the time I said I was going out a monsoon hit. One of us is a jinx.
Cleared up a touch so here I am!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: WR .318 Express - 08/15/14
Elk, about the time I said I was going out a monsoon hit. One of us is a jinx.
Rev,you're a man of the cloth,so,the jinx is me. wink grin
Posted By: RevMike Re: WR .318 Express - 08/15/14
Rev,you're a man of the cloth,so,the jinx is me. wink grin

Neither of us, Elk. I took a fellow Priest out this evening. He took a nice boar, about 150 pounds or so. No jinx, you or me.
Rats,was going to add "jinx" to my resume.
Grab it!
I'm tryin' too!
Elk, I'm about to spring for a Ruger No 1 in 7x57. Think it'll drop a pig?
Only if you use it as a club. wink
Ha! I'll have to post a picture once I drop a little porker with it.
Great! smile
Not mine, but the fellow I was hunting with yesterday. After the monsoon passed, we went to the stands and this boar came out (approx. 140lb). Knowing my friend, one of the hams is probably already in the crock pot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: WR .318 Express - 08/22/14
That is a nice old British rifle, but it won't have been made by Westley Richards.
(Notice they don't actually say it was made by them, but they have priced it very high...someone has salted a hole in the ground with silver?)

Without a maker's name attached to it, it is well over-priced I think, also considering the damage/repairs to the stock. There is no mention of bore condition at all: corrosive primers, cordite in the early days. It may not be a shooter is the risk.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: WR .318 Express - 08/22/14
I do not believe it is manufactured by Westley Richards. It is a generic Mauser of the day, not in original condition and the cartridge imprint on the barrel is tacky and definitely not a WR creation.

These things popped up in Oz now any again in better condition with Westley Richards engraved on the Knox Form/Reinforce/Chamber Section/Fat bit, and you would never see a crooked or upside down proof stamp.

The last good one I knew of (Generic Mauser not WR) was around $900. With this in mind plus the stock repair, a grand would or should stop this one cold, as the barrel condition is a lucky dip.

For a grand, you could have it rebored/rechambered, refinished, stock redone and still keep it under $2,000 and have a nice serviceable traditional style hunting rifle.

Where riflemen really get sucked in with these, is when you pick them up and note the feel, balance and it is a history book all in one.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: WR .318 Express - 08/22/14

You could buy this one, to make Ingwe jealous:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ruger-no-1-7mm-mauser-r16793/#.U_d-32PeLx8

which will also keep me from buying it...grin

I handled it yesterday, it's a nice looking rifle. The grain is unusual, almost like Circassian mineral streaks, but with some feathering, too.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: WR .318 Express - 08/22/14
Or he could buy this one. wink

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Chapuis-SxS-model-RGEX-double-rifle-in-7x57R.cfm?gun_id=100358681
Posted By: RevMike Re: WR .318 Express - 08/22/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

You could buy this one, to make Ingwe jealous:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ruger-no-1-7mm-mauser-r16793/#.U_d-32PeLx8

which will also keep me from buying it...grin

I handled it yesterday, it's a nice looking rifle. The grain is unusual, almost like Circassian mineral streaks, but with some feathering, too.

Pretty, with a nice red pad!!!
Now y'all really need to stop!!! Besides, this is really about all I need: grin

[Linked Image]
But Rev,just think about how cool it would be killing hogs with a 7x57R double rifle! All the others pigs would be jealous that they are being killed with plain-jane rifles. wink
I'll grant you that it's pretty and not a lot for a double rifle. But I seem to remember someone else who is in the market for a double rifle. whistle
Yeah,that is for a .470 NE or IF I can convince the wife,a .500 NE.

Them there rabbits here in NM are dangerous.
Evidently!! smile
Posted By: rattler Re: WR .318 Express - 08/23/14
i use a 45-70 on ground squirrels....i can see the need of a 470 or 500 for rabbits
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: WR .318 Express - 08/23/14
Sheridan,I've used a .416 Rigby (410 gr Woodleighs Weldcore) on rabbits.
© 24hourcampfire