Home
Posted By: RevMike Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/24/14
Yesterday I culled through the "Mule Deer - Message for Boddington" thread to pull out the bibliography everyone started to put together. I've added a few of my own. I am a book junkie. Not e-books, but something you can actually smell and hold in your hand. I have an a/c warehouse unit full of them (some hunting, mostly theology: I'm saving them for when Ingwe goes to seminary).

Anyway, if we were going to put together a library of rifle/hunting/shooting books, classic and modern, what would be included? Here's what we have so far:

WDM Bell:
"Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter"
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

J Corbett:
"Entire omnibus collection"

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"
"Tales of the African Frontier"

Arthur Newmann:
"Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa"

SR Truesdell:
"The Rifle: Its Development for Big-Game Hunting"

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"
"The Old Man and the Boy"

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

Frederick Courtney Selous:
"A hunters Wandering in Africa"
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/24/14
Ruark:
Use Enough Gun
Horn of the Hunter
The Old Man and the boy.

Edison Marshall
Heart of the Hunter
Shikar and Safari

A newer book but a must have; Brian Herne
White Hunters

That'll give you a little more to read while you are waiting for me to go to seminary�.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/24/14
Thanks, Ingwe, I edited them into the original post.

I'm thinking you'd enjoy Princeton.
Since you have a direct line, let me know when hell freezes over, and I'll enroll.
Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I go out with you", and take into account the fact that I went out with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

But back to books....
You have too much time on your hands�.

Besides that, you know me, I'm a 'doubting Thomas'�..I need proof. Bring me a snowball from hell.

grin

Back to books�.
Frederick Courtneney Selous

A hunters Wandering in Africa.
Added.

Then we're in the same boat. I'm a natural born skeptic.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/26/14
Herne's "White Hunters", Capstick's "The Last Ivory Hunter", and Ruark's "The Horn of the Hunter" just came by the Big Brown Truck.
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/26/14
do you reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaalliy want me to play this game? grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/26/14
Herne's White hunter is one of those select few books you can blindly flip through pages, stop anywhere, and you will find something interesting�.
I expect you probably have a pretty good list of books.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/26/14
Had�.Im starting to farm them out, so as to be sure they get into the right hands before I cork over and achieve room temperature. Don't want my wife selling them in a garage sale for 25 cents�Id rather give them away�to the right people.
Good idea. Back when I was in still in practice I used to tell clients, "Either tag it with a name or just give it to the person now. Otherwise, an 'early bird' at the garage sale is going to wind up with it."
All right, Rattler; pony up with your list!!
ok ill add some of my favoritesand try to keep to ones not mentioned so far

if your into africa these are a couple of musts, usually around $100 plus or minus $20, worth every penny, especially if you have to have a small library for whatever reason

African Hunter by James Mellon
African Hunter II by Craig Boddington & Peter Flack

other African favorites
Buffalo, Elephant and Bongo by Reinald von Meurers especially if you think all modern African safaris are being led around, several dozen DIY trips into the jungles of Cameroon

im a huge fan of Tony's writing, especially since he comes from the Spanish end and talks about people and places the English guys havent
The Last of the Few by Tony Sanchez-Arino
Elephants, Ivory and Hunters by Tony Sanchez-Arino

From the Congo Basin to the Highlands of Ethiopia by Steve Christenson outstanding set of stories on modern African hunting

Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa by John Kingsley-Heath

books on hunting in asia
big fan of Brandt's writing
Asian Hunter edited by Capt. John Brandt
Hunters of Man by Capt. John Brandt if you like the Corbett/Anderson maneater hunting you need this book too

I Killed for a Living by Etienne Oggeri about hunting in Vietnam, pre-US involvement

hunting in South America
Jaguar Hunting on the Mato Grosso and Bolivia by Tony de Almeida outstanding book if your interested in hunting the big cats

The Jungle Hunter by Joe Cavanaugh DIY hunts into Central and South America after critters you didnt know existed

ones with chapters from all over the world
Big Game Hunting by Sancha de Montebel interesting guy

Sport Hunting on Six Continents by Ken Wilson if your into Capstick this book is a must, Ken was the guy that produced the videos he did, lots of behind the scenes insight on Capstick

Memories of a Sheep Hunter by Rashid Jamsheed one of my favorite hunting books, must if your a sheep/high mountain hunter

that should add some that most wont think of grin give me time ill prolly think of more i rally like but i just went down my rough inventory list and grabbed what caught my eye
Excellent! I'll massage that into the first list I posted. Too late to edit as that feature expired, but I'll get it all together. This ought to be a sticky that folks can add to from time to time.

Thanks, Rattler!!
no worries, since alot of the authors wouldnt be familiar unlike the "classics" like Bell and Selous or even Hunter and Burger if your the least bit familiar with classic African writing that i should put in why they were favorites cause im sure im one of only a couple people on here that have read guys like Joe Cavanaugh and Etienne Oggeri so the name of the book and author mean very little to the average guy
That's why it's always profitable to put together a bibliography, especially with the contributions of folks who are familiar with some of the more unfamiliar authors.

Dang, I'm starting to write like a college professor. I hate that! It's Friday night, though, and that'll pass soon enough. grin
I love these topics. I did add this topic to my watchlist.

I am going to have to build more book shelves though.

Updated List (9/26/14)

Anyway, if we were going to put together a library of rifle/hunting/shooting books, classic and modern, what would be included? Here's what we have so far:

Finn and Berit Aagaard:
"Aagaard's African Adventures"

Tony de Almeida:
"Jaguar Hunting on the Mato Grosso and Bolivia"

WDM Bell:
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

Craig Boddington:
"African Hunter II"
"Safari Rifles II"
"Elephant!: The Renaissance of Hunting the African Elephant"
"Buffalo!"
The "Ten Years" Series

Capt. John Brandt:
"Asian Hunter"
"Hunters of Man"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

Joe Cavanaugh
"The Jungle Hunter"

Steve Christenson
"From the Congo Basin to the Highlands of Ethiopia"

J Corbett:

Bob Hagel:
"Hunting North American Big Game"
"Guns, Loads & Hunting Tips"

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"

Rashid Jamsheed:
"Memories of a Sheep Hunter"

Elmer Keith:
"Hell, I was There!"

John Kingsley-Heath:
"Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa"

Larry Koller:
"Shots at Whitetails"

Denis D. Lyell:
"African Adventures: Letters from Famous Big-Game Hunters"

James Mellon:
"African Hunter"

Reinald von Meurers:
"Buffalo, Elephant and Bongo"

Sancha de Montebel:
"Big Game Hunting"

Arthur Newmann:

Jack O'Connor:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"Sheep and Sheep Hunting"

Etienne Oggeri:
"I Killed for a Living"

Warren Page:
"One Man's Wilderness"

Tony Sanchez-Arino
"The Last of the Few"
"Elephants, Ivory and Hunters"

SR Truesdell:

Terry Weiland:
"Dangerous Game Rifles"

Ken Wilson:
"Sport Hunting on Six Continents"

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

thought of another

African Adventures: Letters from Famous Big-Game Hunters by Denis D. Lyell

Bell, Selous, Hunter, Millas, Pease and many others make an appearance.....
Just added it. Thanks, Rattler.

Y'all realize that when it's snowing like mad or raining buckets and you can't get out, y'all are going to thank me later!! And AbeBooks is going to thank me as well.
keep in mind with the last your not reading a story, your reading private letters between the author and these people....while not a smooth flowing read its a hell of insight into the minds of some of the guys with books on the list....i thought it was a worthwhile read because of this...plus it was reprinted as part of the "Capstick Library" so you can find a reprint at a reasonable price....had needed to pay for an original i prolly still wouldnt have read it yet
Yeah, the story behind the story. Generally good stuff.
No books for me anymore.

I read books and subscribed to magazines when that's all there was.

Now this internet we are on has replaced the old ways.

We even get to show and tell of our stuff and things we do.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Savage_99
No books for me anymore.

I read books and subscribed to magazines when that's all there was.

Now this internet we are on has replaced the old ways.

We even get to show and tell of our stuff and things we do.

[Linked Image]

yeah cause you can find all the books i posted as digital copies....you are one phuggin dumb arse....
Easy guys, come on; let's just post some favorite reads.
If I may:

"Shots at Whitetails" by Larry Koller
Posted By: djs Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/27/14
I've got over 1,000 gun, hunting, reloading, shooting, sniping, etc. books in my library (has taken me 60 years to collect and read them) and I think that all of them have a place in a well-rounded library. No outstanding favorites, just use them for reference.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/27/14
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If I may:

I second the motion
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/27/14
Originally Posted by djs
I've got over 1,000 gun, hunting, reloading, shooting, sniping, etc. books in my library (has taken me 60 years to collect and read them) and I think that all of them have a place in a well-rounded library. No outstanding favorites, just use them for reference.

ive got alot more than i posted, couple hundred volumes, but some are a PITA to get through, some are nothing but data...picked ones that are fun to read or like Ken's and Lyell's have links to other authors on the list that make them worth while, not that Ken's is a bad book but without the Capstick stuff it really wouldnt stand out.....

no matter what some books stand out above others, doesnt make the ones that dont worthless, just means unless someone is asking for something specific they arent getting recommended....if someone had asked specifically for big cats or elephants or mountain hunting or sniping the list would have changed....but these are a list of my favorites that i would recommended a general reader get ahead of some others unless they have no interest in the particular subject matter

doing my best not to sell any at the moment crazy
Craig Boddington's Ten years in Africa series. Also Safari Rifles II. His books on Buffalo & Elephant.

Elgin Gates-Trophy hunter in Asia & Africa.

Jack O'Connor-The Hunting Rifle & Sheep & Sheep Hunting.

Elmer Keith-Hell,I was there!

Bob Hagel-Hunting North American Big Game & Guns,Loads & Hunting Tips.

Terry Weiland-Dangerous Game Rifles.

Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/27/14
Originally Posted by djs

You want to add a few titles?
Originally Posted by ingwe
If I may:

I second the motion

Got it.
Thanks, Elk, I'll add them to the list. Sounds like the entire Boddington collection.
Sine qua non:

Warren Page, One Man's Wilderness, 1973, pub. by Holt, Rinehart, & Winston; ISBN: 0-03-086009-1

Finn & Berit Aagaard, Aagaard's African Adventures, 2008, pub. by Safari Press, ISBN: 1571572848 (This is the 2nd edition; the first edition was published by the NRA and is scarce. Finn autographed my copy for me.)

--Bob
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Sine qua non:

Warren Page, One Man's Wilderness, 1973, pub. by Holt, Rinehart, & Winston; ISBN: 0-03-086009-1

Finn & Berit Aagaard, Aagaard's African Adventures, 2008, pub. by Safari Press, ISBN: 1571572848 (This is the 2nd edition; the first edition was published by the NRA and is scarce. Finn autographed my copy for me.)

--Bob

Got 'em, Bob; thanks.
Well Rev wink

Craig Boddington-The Perfect Shot North America,American Hunting Rifles,African Experience,Shots at Big Game,Deer Hunting Coast to Coast w/ Bob Robb.

Jim Carmichel-Book of the Rifle.

Jack O'Connor-The Best of Jack O'Connor & The Last Book.

John Jobson- The Best of John Jobson.
Craig Boddington-Campfires and Gametrails & The Hunters Handbook.

Jack O'Connor- The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America & The complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns.
"Whitetail- Fundamentals and Fine Points for the Hunter" George Mattis

"The Deer Hunter's Guide" Francis E. Sell

Those two give a good perspective on whitetails in the north-central U.S. and blacktails respectively, with great stuff on still-hunting and trail-watching.

"The Life of the Hunt" by some guy named Barnett or Boswell, or something like that.

About half-way through that one I started limited myself to a chapter a day or so because I didn't want it to end.
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/27/14

Those two give a good perspective on whitetails in the north-central U.S. and blacktails respectively, with great stuff on still-hunting and trail-watching.

"The Life of the Hunt" by some guy named Barnett or Boswell, or something like that.

About half-way through that one I started limited myself to a chapter a day or so because I didn't want it to end.

chit forgot Johns books prolly cause he is on here and i rarely read much on North American hunting....yeah John's are every bit as good of a read as any i put up....only exception maybe is depending on my mood i might prefer Capsticks style but John's 'Obsessions of a Rifle Loony', 'Born to Hunt', and 'The Life of the Hunt' are as good of a read as most everything else on the list....

thought of another Russell Annabel he is to Alaska what Capstick is to Africa.....
Updated List (9/27/14)

Finn and Berit Aagaard:

Tony de Almeida:

Russell Annabel:
Corpus

John Barsness:
"The Life of the Hunt"
"Obsessions of a Rifle Loony"
"Born to Hunt"

WDM Bell:
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

Craig Boddington:
"African Hunter II"
"Safari Rifles II"
"Buffalo!"
The "Ten Years" Series
"The Perfect Shot - North America"
"American Hunting Rifles"
"African Experience"
"Shots at Big Game"
"Deer Hunting Coast to Coast" (w/Bob Robb)
"Campfires and Game Trails"
"The Hunters Handbook"

Capt. John Brandt:
"Asian Hunter"
"Hunters of Man"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

Jim Carmichael:
"Book of the Rifle"

Joe Cavanaugh
"The Jungle Hunter"

Steve Christenson

J Corbett:

Bob Hagel:

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"

Rashid Jamsheed:

John Jobson:
"The Best of John Jobson"

Elmer Keith:
"Hell, I was There!"

John Kingsley-Heath:

Larry Koller:
"Shots at Whitetails"

Denis D. Lyell:

George Mattis:
"Whitetail - Fundamentals and Fine Points for the Hunter"

James Mellon:
"African Hunter"

Reinald von Meurers:

Sancha de Montebel:
"Big Game Hunting"

Arthur Newmann:

Jack O'Connor:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Best of Jack O'Connor"
"The Last Book"
"The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America"
"The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns"

Etienne Oggeri:
"I Killed for a Living"

Warren Page:
"One Man's Wilderness"

Tony Sanchez-Arino
"The Last of the Few"

Francis E. Sell:
"The Deer Hunter's Guide"

SR Truesdell:

Terry Weiland:
"Dangerous Game Rifles"

Ken Wilson:

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

I found that Boswell guy, but I think he wrote a biography of a fellow named Samuel Johnson, not to be confused with Samuel Adams, best known for "Octoberfest" this time of year. whistle

List updated, I think.
I could have that name wrong. Might be Basner or Bashful- no that's a dwarf, Barnsby.....whatever.

Somebody'll think of it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/28/14
Mayhaps this should be a sticky. Something that a newbie (or oldbie) can reference whilst building his library, and be amendable to allow it to grow.
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/28/14
thought this one was on their cause i thought i mentioned it in the thread that i believe kick started this one:

The Adventures of an Elephant Hunter By James Sutherland

its as good as any of Hunters or Burgers books and you can even read it for free:
https://archive.org/details/adventuresofelep00suthiala
No Elmer Keith Rifles for Big Game.
No Elmer Keith Safari
No Townshend Whelen at all.

No Alfred Pease Book of the Lion
No Stewart Edward White.(Lots of good ones)
No Hemingway Green Plains of Africa.
No John Pondoro Taylor Big Game and Big Game Rifles and African Rifles and Cartridges.
No Charles "Boots" Askins Unrepentant Sinner

I just scored a copy of the Selous book on archive.org. It's a scanned PDF, complete with cover shots, a library stamp, and even the page where one owner wrote his name. All the illustrations are included, of course.

The amazing part is that you can also read the same copy online and flip the pages with your finger just as if it were on your tablet.

I'm a pretty hard-core Luddite about a lot of stuff, but this is very cool.
Some more tips for electronic versions:

Download the PDF or Kindle versions. The EPubs apparently use OCR, which is very error-prone and often loses the illustrations.

On archive.org some of the PDFs are listed as PDF (Google), which apparently means you can't download them, but rather have to read them online from Google by logging in, yada yada yada.

It may be beneficial to download both the PDF and the Kindle version, if your device supports both, as one or the other may result in a clearer copy. Check the quality and keep the best one.

Happy cheap reading.

Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/29/14
Updated List (9/29/14)

Finn and Berit Aagaard:

Tony de Almeida:

Russell Annabel:
Corpus

Charles Askins:
"Unrepentant Sinner"

John Barsness:
"The Life of the Hunt"
"Born to Hunt"

WDM Bell:
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

Craig Boddington:
"African Hunter II"
"Safari Rifles II"
"Buffalo!"
The "Ten Years" Series
"African Experience"
"Shots at Big Game"
"The Hunters Handbook"

Capt. John Brandt:
"Asian Hunter"
"Hunters of Man"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

Jim Carmichael:
"Book of the Rifle"
"The Modern Rifle"

Joe Cavanaugh
"The Jungle Hunter"

Steve Christenson

J Corbett:

Bob Hagel:

Ernest Hemingway:
"Green Plains of Africa"

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"

Rashid Jamsheed:

John Jobson:

Elmer Keith:
"Hell, I was There!"
"Rifles for Big Game"
"Safari"
"Rifles for Large Game"
"Big Game Rifles and Cartridges"

John Kingsley-Heath:

Larry Koller:
"Shots at Whitetails"

Denis D. Lyell:

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

George Mattis:

James Mellon:
"African Hunter"

Reinald von Meurers:

Sancha de Montebel:
"Big Game Hunting"

Arthur Newmann:

Jack O'Connor:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Last Book"
"The Rifle Book"
"The Big Game Rifle"

Etienne Oggeri:
"I Killed for a Living"

Warren Page:
"One Man's Wilderness"
"The Accurate Rifle"

Alfred Pease:
"Book of the Lion"

Theodore Roosevelt:
"African Game Trails"

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"

Tony Sanchez-Arino
"The Last of the Few"

Francis E. Sell:

Philip Sharpe:
"The Rifle in America"

James Sutherland:
"The Adventures of an Elephant Hunter"

John 'Pondoro' Taylor:
"Big Game and Big Game Rifles"
"African Rifles and Cartridges"

SR Truesdell:

Terry Weiland:
"Dangerous Game Rifles"

Townsend Whelen:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Ultimate in Rifle Precision"

Stewart Edward White:

Ken Wilson:
Originally Posted by kaboku68
No Elmer Keith Rifles for Big Game.
No Elmer Keith Safari
No Townshend Whelen at all.

No Alfred Pease Book of the Lion
No Stewart Edward White.(Lots of good ones)
No Hemingway Green Plains of Africa.
No John Pondoro Taylor Big Game and Big Game Rifles and African Rifles and Cartridges.
No Charles "Boots" Askins Unrepentant Sinner

I added those with titles. I had James Mellon, "African Hunter" on the original list, but couldn't find a Richard Mellon with the same title.

Also if you want to add some titles for Whelen and White, please do so.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/29/14
Some more O'Connor titles:

The Rifle Book
The Big Game Rifle

By Elmer Keith:

Keith's Rifles for Large Game
Big Game Rifles and Cartridges

By Warren Page:

The Accurate Rifle

By Townsend Whelen:

The Hunting Rifle
The Ultimate in Rifle Precision

By Phillip Sharpe:

The Rifle in America

By Jim Carmichael:

The Modern Rifle

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Mayhaps this should be a sticky. Something that a newbie (or oldbie) can reference whilst building his library, and be amendable to allow it to grow.

I sent a note to Rick to see if it is possible for me to be able continue the edit feature on the first post. That would make life a lot easier. I haven't heard anything back.
Got 'em, thanks.
I could have that name wrong. Might be Basner or Bashful- no that's a dwarf, Barnsby.....whatever.

Somebody'll think of it.

Bieber?
I lucked into an autographed, first edition copy of "The Rifle in America" 20-some years ago in an antique shop in Natural Bridge, Virginia. It's inscribed with a somewhat generic "Greetings, Mr. Shooter".

Shops in small towns are a great place to find books. Regretably, the older books are often very fragile and must be handled with great care. That's one reason I try to find electronic versions, in addition to hard copies, whenever possible.
Wonderful list.

I will add, African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt
Got it, thanks.
Originally Posted by RevMike

Somebody'll think of it.

Bieber?

Now you've done it!
The name is Brassnuts. Or at least that's what some of his supposed friends called him in high school.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The name is Brassnuts. Or at least that's what some of his supposed friends called him in high school.

Nah, John, I'm pretty sure it's Bieber. grin
That's Brassnuts Bieber to you, fella....
That's the guy!!!
Well, we finally got a rise out of him. Good thing; I was running out of B names.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/30/14
Has anyone read "Months of the Sun" by Ian Nyschens? I saw it mentioned on Craig Boddington's FB page and was just wondering if it's something to add to the list.

By the way, I'm really enjoying Captick's "The Last Ivory Hunter." Good stuff! Now if I can only figure out how to get paid for reading old hunting books....
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/30/14
yeah and you prolly saw my post under his saying i aint been able to afford it....its a decent book but ive been lucky to find Heath's book for 20 cents on the dollar of usual asking price....lowest ive seen Nyschen's book is $350......its a decent book and read it if you get the chance, someone lent me a copy to read, but i didnt find it outstanding.....a good solid book on more modern elephant hunting though...
"The Big Game Animals of North America", by Jack O'Conner. The usual great JOC stories, large format full-page color plates and nice B&W drawings. Also scientific info on the critters.

Some will quibble about his general dismissal of the Bison as a big game animal, but given the situation when the book was written, I think we can give him a pass.
Updated List (9/30/14)

Finn and Berit Aagaard:

Tony de Almeida:

Russell Annabel:
Corpus

Charles Askins:
"Unrepentant Sinner"

John Barsness:
"The Life of the Hunt"
"Born to Hunt"

William Beech:
"Shadow of Denali"

WDM Bell:
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

Craig Boddington:
"African Hunter II"
"Safari Rifles II"
"Buffalo!"
The "Ten Years" Series
"African Experience"
"Shots at Big Game"
"The Hunters Handbook"

Capt. John Brandt:
"Asian Hunter"
"Hunters of Man"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

Jim Carmichael:
"Book of the Rifle"
"The Modern Rifle"

Joe Cavanaugh
"The Jungle Hunter"

Roy Andrews Chapman:
"Across Mongolian Plains"

Steve Christenson:

J Corbett:

Elgin Gates:
"Trophy Hunter in Africa"
"Trophy Hunter in Asia"

Bob Hagel:

Ernest Hemingway:
"Green Plains of Africa"

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"

Rashid Jamsheed:

John Jobson:

Elmer Keith:
"Hell, I was There!"
"Rifles for Big Game"
"Safari"
"Rifles for Large Game"

John Kingsley-Heath:

Larry Koller:
"Shots at Whitetails"

Denis D. Lyell:

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

George Mattis:

James Mellon:
"African Hunter"

Reinald von Meurers:

Sancha de Montebel:
"Big Game Hunting"

Arthur Newmann:

Jack O'Connor:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Last Book"
"The Rifle Book"
"The Big Game Rifle"
"Big Game Animals of North America"
"Game in the Desert Revisited"
"Horse and Buggy West"

Etienne Oggeri:
"I Killed for a Living"

Warren Page:
"One Man's Wilderness"
"The Accurate Rifle"

Alfred Pease:
"Book of the Lion"

Theodore Roosevelt:
"African Game Trails"

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"

Tony Sanchez-Arino
"The Last of the Few"

Hosea Sarber:
"Forty Years in Alaska"

Francis E. Sell:

Philip Sharpe:
"The Rifle in America"

Charles Sheldon:
"Wilderness of Denali"

Col. Harry Snyder:
"Book of Big Game Hunting"

James Sutherland:

John 'Pondoro' Taylor:
"Rifles for African Big Game"

SR Truesdell:

Terry Weiland:
"Dangerous Game Rifles"

Townsend Whelen:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"On Your Own in the Wilderness"
"Best of Townsend Whelen"

Stewart Edward White:

Jay Williams:
"Alaska Adventures"

Ken Wilson:

G.O. Young:
"Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost"
"The Big Game Animals of North America", by Jack O'Conner. The usual great JOC stories, large format full-page color plates and nice B&W drawings. Also scientific info on the critters.

Some will quibble about his general dismissal of the Bison as a big game animal, but given the situation when the book was written, I think we can give him a pass.

Got it, thanks.
Safari Press has Nyschens' book listed as backorder - $85. We'll see what it is when (if) it comes back in stock.
Safari Press has Nyschens' book listed as backorder - $85. We'll see what it is when (if) it comes back in stock.

thats his new book that just came out months ago, hardcover copies of 'Months of the Sun' have not been available through Safari Press in a long time, on the secondary market $600 isnt an unusual asking price and ive seen asking prices approaching $1000......

dont get me wrong its a good book but it reminds me of Terry Wieland's 'Spiral Horn Dreams' which is a good book but not at anywhere near what people ask for it at $300....and Nyschens' book is much better than Wieland's......rarity is whats driving the price not the quality of the story...
Originally Posted by rattler

thats his new book that just came out months ago, hardcover copies of 'Months of the Sun' have not been available through Safari Press in a long time, on the secondary market $600 isnt an unusual asking price and ive seen asking prices approaching $1000......

dont get me wrong its a good book but it reminds me of Terry Wieland's 'Spiral Horn Dreams' which is a good book but not at anywhere near what people ask for it at $300....and Nyschens' book is much better than Wieland's......rarity is whats driving the price not the quality of the story...

You're right about the price - not $85. But look just below the new book and you'll see "Months of the Sun" listed hardcopy, backorder, $60. It's supposed to be re-released Fall 2015. Sounds like first edition prices you're seeing on the secondary market...and those are pretty steep!
its been on backorder for over 10 years IIRC wink nice to know they are being reprinted but at the moment first edition are the only copies out there though i think due to his second book coming out for awhile they released 'Months of the Sun' as an e-book but not 100% sure on that....
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/30/14
I might add a relatively little known book by Jack O'connor titled "Game in the Desert Revisited". It's actually my favorite JO'C book. Anecdotal in nature, and descriptive of hunting the animals of his youth in the desert southwest.
Got it and added. Thanks!
Posted By: GF1 Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 09/30/14
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I might add a relatively little known book by Jack O'connor titled "Game in the Desert Revisited". It's actually my favorite JO'C book. Anecdotal in nature, and descriptive of hunting the animals of his youth in the desert southwest.

And we might as well add JO'C's "Horse and Buggy West," a superb work on the feel of Arizona in the early part of the last century, and some good stories of hunting there in a time long gone.
Best book of the 1950s for North American Big Game hunting is
Snyder's Book of Big Game hunting by Col. Harry Snyder. I especially like his stories on Goat Hunting.

Townshend Whelen's Big Game Hunting
On Your Own in the Wilderness
Best of Townshend Whelen
need to be on every hunters bookshelf

Why limit it just to riflemen.
Fred Bear's Field Book
Glen St. Charles Bows on the Little Delta River
1000 campfires by Jay Massey
Bowhunting Alaska's Rivers by Jay Massey

Wilderness of Denali by Charles Sheldon
To Far Western Alaska after Big Game by T.R. Hubback
Alaska Hunting by Roy Chandler
Trail of the Eagle by Bud Conkle

Across Mongolian Plains by Roy Andrews Chapman
Mongolian Hunter by Patrick Stewart(not actor)
After Wild Sheep in the Altai and Mongolia by Count Elim Demidoff
Still no John Taylor.
Rifles for African Big Game

No GO Young Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost
No Alaska Adventures by Jay Williams
No Forty Years in Alaska by Hosea Sarber
No Shadow of Denali by William Beech
Forgive me, but what's the "no" for? You think they should be included or not?
I think I have everything up to date. One item to note: I'm not cross-checking to make sure titles are accurate, so y'all might want to make sure they're accurate when you post them.

Also, there's a forum for bow hunting. That would be the perfect place to add archery related books. This thread is "Rifle" library. Someone else could certainly add one for shotguns as well.
Just point out that there is a lot of stuff that is not included. The bowhunting stuff goes beyond bowhunting. You have to read the books to know why. They are actually more involved in the process of being there.
That is a bit of a big difference from books on guns like the repair manuals developed by Baker, Howe and Dunlap. Its more of an existential trip that the archery selections that I listed should go on a classic list.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Just point out that there is a lot of stuff that is not included. The bowhunting stuff goes beyond bowhunting. You have to read the books to know why. They are actually more involved in the process of being there.
That is a bit of a big difference from books on guns like the repair manuals developed by Baker, Howe and Dunlap. Its more of an existential trip that the archery selections that I listed should go on a classic list.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Well, why didn't ya just say so? grin Just give us some titles to go with the authors. Taylor was on there, by the way. I can't edit the very first post anymore as the editing feature has expired, so I'm doing it day by day.

I see what you're talking about with respect to the bow hunting titles: more about the hunt itself than technical information. There is, interestingly, a section on Fred Bear in "The Last Ivory Hunter." He was an amazing archer and hunter. I remember watching him knock pheasants out of the sky on ABC's "American Sportsman" years and years ago. I always wanted to visit his factory in Gainesville, but never got the chance.

Rev,you forgot to add Elgin Gates books. Trophy Hunter in Africa,Trophy Hunter in Asia.

Need you to say three hail Ingwes. wink
Got 'em. But good Lord let's not give Ingwe anything more to crow about!
Sorry for the late answer,I was on Gunbroker looking at 6.5x55 rifles. In particularly Winchester Featherweights. smile

Ingwe will crow about anything under the sun. Might as well throw the OLD (REALLY,REALLY OLD) boy a bone or two,that way he knows he's not forgotten. wink
I just don't want to encourage him. He's bad enough as it is!

You gonna buy one?
Ingwe is harmless,but don't tell him that. whistle grin

As far as buying a 6.5x55,don't know. The .264" is the only caliber I've not played with. Owned a .260 Rem for a short while (3-6 months IIRC) and that's all of the .264" caliber's.

Just seeing how much they go for.

Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 10/01/14
I don't dare look.
Live a little Sport. Just like looking at the scantily clad ladies,I can look but not touch! wink
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Live a little Sport. Just like looking at the scantily clad ladies,I can look but not touch! wink

O, I've been looking!

http://westleyrichards.com/new-guns/bolt-action-rifles
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 10/01/14
Quit posting that link! cry

A man can look!! cry

If I sold everything I owned I still wouldn't have enough for just the case.

If I won the lotto, that would be my first stop. My second stop would be Tanzania.
You got that right!
By the way, Ingwe: don't you live in Montana? How far are you from Bozeman?
I am 90 miles from Bozeman. Headed down there next week for a K9 school.
Well, you know WR has a showroom there, right?

By the way, if you go to the WR website and click the "Blog" tag, Simon Clode has some great pics from his recent safari in Tanzania.
WR in Bozeman is closed. Checked them last time in town. Time before that, I went in. Every rifle was ornately engraved and inlaid. I asked if they didn't have any utility grade guns. They didn't.
Dang. Guess we'll have to fly to Birmingham when you hit the lotto.
A Westley Richards bolt action in .318 WR would be the cat's meow! smile

Better?

http://www.johnrigbyandco.com/index.html
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 10/03/14
I have a few:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BARNESS/BODDINGTON/HAVILAND/MANN/SPOMER/TOWSLEY
Rifle Bullets for the Hunter

BARSNESS
Obsessions of a Rifle Loony
The Life of the Hunt
Optics for the Hunter

HILL
Hunting the Hard Way

VAN DER WALT
African Dangerous Game Cartridges

FOSTER
Bolt Action Rifle Accurizing and Maintenance
Long Range Hunting Cartridges
Long Range Hunting Rifles

JORDAN
No Second Place Winner

WIELAND
A View for a Tall Hill
Dangerous Game Rifles
Dangerous Game Rifles II

BODDINGTON
Safari Rifles
Safari RIfles II
American Hunting RIfles
American Hunting RIfles II
Buffalo!
Make It Accurate
From Mt Kenya to the Cape
African Experience
Where Lions Roar
Shots at Big Game
The Perfect Shot - North America

AAGAARD
Aagaard's African Adventures

HUNTER
Hunter
Hunter's Tracks
White Hunter
Tales of the African Frontier

HERNE
White Hunters

AFRICAN HUNTER
Nyati

TAYLOR
African Rifles & Cartridges
Big Game and Big Game Rifles

WOODS
Rifles for Africa

FLACK
Heart of an African Hunter

RUARK
The Old Man and The Boy
The Old Man's Boy Grows Older
Horn of the Hunter
Lost Classics
Africa
Use Enough Gun
The Honey Badger
Uhuru
Grenadine's Etching
Grenadine's Spawn
Something of Value

GATES
Trophy Hunter in Africa

ROBERT JONES
African Twilight

J.Y. JONES
Ask the Black Bear Guides
Ask the Whitetail Guides
Ask the Elk Guides
Ask the Mule Deer Guides
One Man, One Rifle, One Land

MATUNAS
Guns, Ammo, and Equipment
Modern African Adventures

BABCOCK
My Health is Better in November

WEBB
Home from the Hill
Campfire Lies of a Canadian Hunting Guide

NEUMANN
Elephant Hunting in East Equitorial Africa

ALASKA PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Hunting in the Land of the Midnight Sun

CARR
Tales of a Bear Hunter

ALLEN
The Wheel of Life

DODD HUGHES
Custom Rifles

WILSON
Winchester An American Legend

DENIS
On Safari

ESTES
The Safari Companion
The Behavior Guide to African Mammals

CONRAD
Heart of Darkness
Safari Guide

O'CONNER
Lost Classics

CASEK
Solo Safari

HILL
A Hunter's Fireside Book

BURGER
Horned Death

FINNAUGHTY
The Recollections of an Elephant Hunter 1864-1875

HUFFMAN
Ten Point

UNDERWOOD
The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told

HENDERSON
The Fire Tower

NOSLER
Going Ballistic

McINTYRE
Hunting Optics Handbook
Dreaming the Lion

ATCHESON
Hunting Adventures Worldwide

CARMICHEL
Just Jim
The Book of the Rifle

HEMMINGWAY
Green Hill's of Africa
True at First Light

NELSON
Hunting Big Whitetails

SISK RIFLES
Selecting and Ordering a Custom Rifle

MELLON
African Hunter

FLACK and BODDINGTON
African Hunter II

HALLAMORE
In the Saly

GREAT HUNTERS & TROPHY ROOMS Volumes 1-6

ROBERTSON
The Perfect Shot
Africa's Most Dangerous

SIMPSON
Rifles and Cartridges for Large Game

VON BRUNT
Born a Hunter

NYSCHENS
Months of the Sun

CHANDLER
Legends of the African Frontier

KEITH
Hell, I Was There!

FADALA
Legendary Sporting Rifles
The Rifleman's Bible

HOLDEN
The Golden Years of Hunting in New Zeland

HOFFMAN
A Country Boy in Africa

VAN ZWOLL
Modern Sporting Rifle Catridges

WOOTERS
Hunting Trophy Deer

ROOSEVELT
African Game Trails
The Happy Hunting Grounds

PROTHERO
Safari: A Dangerous Affair

KANIUT
Some Bears Kill

GEORGE LEONARD HERTER
The Truth About Hunting in Today's Africa

FONTOVA
The Hellpig Hunt

FIDUCCA
Whitetail Strategies

CAPSTICK
Death in the Long Grass
Death in the Silent Places
Death on the Dark Continent
Death on a Barstool
The Last Ivory Hunter
Sands of Silence
The African Adventurers
Last Horizons

About 30 Reloading Manuals.......
Gun Digests 1993- Present.......
Bunch of Handgun Books upstairs.......

How about The Still Hunter by Theodore S. Van Dyke.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 10/20/14
Wow, thanks! Wish there was a way I could merge these titles with the other list. I'll work it later to see if I can't get a comprehensive bibliography posted.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 10/22/14
Updated List (10/22/14)

Alaska Professional Hunters Association:
�Hunting in the Land of the Midnight Sun�

Safari Press:
�Great Hunters and Their Trophy Rooms�

Finn and Berit Aagaard:

Bunny Allen:
�The Wheel of Life�

Tony de Almeida:

Russell Annabel:
Corpus

Charles Askins:
"Unrepentant Sinner"

Jack Atcheson:
�Hunting Adventures Worldwide�

Havilah Babcock:
�My Health is Better in November�

John Barsness:
"The Life of the Hunt"
"Born to Hunt"
�Optics for the Hunter�
�Rifle Bullets for the Hunter� (with Barnes, Haviland, Boddington, et al)

William Beech:
"Shadow of Denali"

WDM Bell:
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

Craig Boddington:
"African Hunter II"
�Safari Rifles�
"Safari Rifles II"
"Buffalo!"
The "Ten Years" Series
�American Hunting Rifles II�
"African Experience"
"Shots at Big Game"
"The Hunters Handbook"
�Make It Accurate�
�From Mt Kenya to the Cape�
�Where Lions Roar�

Capt. John Brandt:
"Asian Hunter"
"Hunters of Man"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

Terrance Cacek:
�Solo Safari�

Peter Hathaway Capstick:
�Death in the Long Grass�
�Death in Silent Places�
�Death on the Dark Continent�
�Death on a Barstool�
�The Last Ivory Hunter�
�Sands of Silence�
�The African Adventures�
�Last Horizons�

Jim Carmichael:
"Book of the Rifle"
"The Modern Rifle"
�Just Jim�

Dalton Carr:
�Tales of a Bear Hunter�

Jim Casada:
�The Lost Classics of Jack O�Connor�

Joe Cavanaugh
"The Jungle Hunter"

David Chandler:
�Legends of the African Frontier�

Roy Andrews Chapman:

Steve Christenson:

Richard Conrad:
�Safari Guide�

J Corbett:

Armand Denis:
�On Safari�

Richard Estes:
�The Safari Companion�
�The Behavior Guide to African Mammals�

Sam Fadala:
�Legendary Sporting Rifles�
�The Rifleman�s Bible�

Peter Fiducca:
�Whitetail Strategies�

William Finaughty:
�Recollections of an Elephant Hunter, 1864-1875�

Peter Flack:
�Heart of an African Hunter�

Humberto Fontova:
�The Hellpig Hunt�

Nathan Foster:
�Bolt Action Rifle Accurizing and Maintenance�
�Long Range Hunting Cartridges�
�Long Range Hunting Rifles�

Elgin Gates:
"Trophy Hunter in Asia"

Bob Hagel:

Lou Hallamore:
�In the Salt�
�Chui: A Guide to Hunting the African Leopard�

Ernest Hemingway:
"Green Hills of Africa"
�True at First Light�

Bob Henderson:
�The Fire Tower�

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

George Leonard Herter:
�The Truth About Hunting in Today�s Africa�

Gene Hill:
�A Hunter�s Fireside Book�

George Hoffman:
�A Country Boy in Africa�

Philip Holden:
�The Golden Years of Hunting in New Zealand�

Alan Huffman:
�Ten Point: Deer Camp in the Mississippi Delta�

Steven Dodd Hughes:
�Custom Rifles�

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"

Rashid Jamsheed:

John Jobson:

J.Y. Jones:
�Ask the Black Bear Guides�
�Ask the Whitetail Guides�
�Ask the Elk Guides�
�Ask the Mule Deer Guides�
�One Man, One Rifle, One Land�

Robert Jones:
�African Twilight�

Larry Kanuit:
�Some Bears Kill�

Elmer Keith:
"Hell, I was There!"
"Rifles for Big Game"
"Safari"
"Rifles for Large Game"

John Kingsley-Heath:

Larry Koller:
"Shots at Whitetails"

Denis D. Lyell:

Thomas McIntyre:
�Field & Stream Hunting Optics Handbook�
�Dreaming the Lion�

Edward Matunas:
�Guns, Ammo, and Equipment�
�Modern African Adventures�

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

George Mattis:

James Mellon:
"African Hunter"

Reinald von Meurers:

Sancha de Montebel:
"Big Game Hunting"

Bruce Nelson:
�Hunting Big Whitetails�

Arthur Newmann:

John Nosler:
�John Nosler Going Ballistic: The Life and Adventures of John Nosler�

Ian Nyschens:
�Months of the Sun�

Jack O'Connor:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Last Book"
"The Rifle Book"
"The Big Game Rifle"
"Horse and Buggy West"

Etienne Oggeri:
"I Killed for a Living"

Warren Page:
"One Man's Wilderness"
"The Accurate Rifle"

Alfred Pease:
"Book of the Lion"

Walt Prothero:
�Safari: A Dangerous Affair�

Kevin Robertson:
�The Perfect Shot�
�Africa�s Most Dangerous�

Theodore Roosevelt:
"African Game Trails"
�The Happy Hunting Grounds�

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"
�The Old Man�s Boy Grows Older�
�Lost Classics�
�Africa�
�The Honey Badger�
�Uhuru�
�Grenadine�s Etching�
�Grenadine�s Spawn�
�Something of Value�

Tony Sanchez-Arino
"The Last of the Few"

Hosea Sarber:
"Forty Years in Alaska"

Francis E. Sell:

Philip Sharpe:
"The Rifle in America"

Charles Sheldon:
"Wilderness of Denali"

Layne Simpson:
�Rifles and Cartridges for Large Game�

Charles Sisk:
�Selecting and Ordering a Custom Rifle�

Col. Harry Snyder:

James Sutherland:

John 'Pondoro' Taylor:

SR Truesdell:

Lamar Underwood:
�The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told�

Dwight Van Brunt:
�Born a Hunter�

Theodore Van Dyke:
�The Still Hunter�

Pierre van der Walt:
�African Dangerous Game Cartridges�

Wayne Van Zwoll:
�Modern Sporting Rifle Cartridges�

Fred Webb:
�Home from the Hill�
�Campfire Lies of a Canadian Hunting Guide�

Terry Weiland:
"Dangerous Game Rifles"
�Dangerous Game Rifles II�
�A View from a Tall Hill�

Townsend Whelen:
"The Hunting Rifle"

Stewart Edward White:

Anthony Williams:
�African Hunter Guide to Nyati�

Jay Williams:
"Alaska Adventures"

Ken Wilson:

R.L. Wilson:
�Winchester: An American Legend�

Gregor Woods:
�Rifles for Africa�

John Wooters:
�Hunting Trophy Deer�

G.O. Young:
Rev, if you get hung up, spending all your time reading that stuff, what's the Bishop gonna say...??

DF
You and I both know what he'd say: "I don't dare send you to Africa!" whistle
That would be like throwing Brer Rabbit in the briar patch... shocked

You don't think he'd buy into that...?

Don't reckon he got to be Bishop, being dumb and gullible... cool

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
That would be like throwing Brer Rabbit in the briar patch... shocked

You don't think he'd buy into that...?

Don't reckon he got to be Bishop, being dumb and gullible... cool

DF

Nah, I don't think he'd buy it at all.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 10/31/14
I'm about a third of the way through Brian Herne's "White Hunters." I highly recommend it if you haven't read it.

Mike
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 11/30/14
for a bump, found another good one: 'Hunting in the Mountains and Jungles of Nepal' by Peter Byrne

he wasone of if not the only PH in Nepal for a couple decades, out of all the tiger hunts he did only three hunters chose to go after the tigers on foot in the jungle, one of which is James Mellon whose 'African Hunter' book is listed above. he tells the story of all three. also included is a story about Robert Ruark....very good book unfortunately another one of those only available as a limited edition by Safari Press....if anyone has his book on Corbet('Gentlemen Hunter') or 'Gone are the Days' i would really love to borrow them...since fellow book nuts are congregating here also looking to read John Brandt's 'Horned Giants' and Channing Beebe's 'Cannibals and Big Game'
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/01/14
Updated List (12/01/14)

Alaska Professional Hunters Association:
�Hunting in the Land of the Midnight Sun�

Safari Press:
�Great Hunters and Their Trophy Rooms�

Finn and Berit Aagaard:

Bunny Allen:
�The Wheel of Life�

Tony de Almeida:

Kenneth Anderson:
Corpus

Russell Annabel:
Corpus

Charles Askins:
"Unrepentant Sinner"

Jack Atcheson:
�Hunting Adventures Worldwide�

Havilah Babcock:
�My Health is Better in November�

John Barsness:
"The Life of the Hunt"
"Born to Hunt"
�Optics for the Hunter�
�Rifle Bullets for the Hunter� (with Barnes, Haviland, Boddington, et al)

William Beech:
"Shadow of Denali"

WDM Bell:
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

Craig Boddington:
"African Hunter II"
�Safari Rifles�
"Safari Rifles II"
"Buffalo!"
The "Ten Years" Series
�American Hunting Rifles II�
"African Experience"
"Shots at Big Game"
"The Hunters Handbook"
�Make It Accurate�
�From Mt Kenya to the Cape�
�Where Lions Roar�

Capt. John Brandt:
"Asian Hunter"
"Hunters of Man"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

Peter Byrne:
"Gentleman Hunter"
"Hunting in the Mountains and Jungles of Nepal"

Terrance Cacek:
�Solo Safari�

Peter Hathaway Capstick:
�Death in the Long Grass�
�Death in Silent Places�
�Death on the Dark Continent�
�Death on a Barstool�
�The Last Ivory Hunter�
�Sands of Silence�
�The African Adventures�
�Last Horizons�

Jim Carmichael:
"Book of the Rifle"
"The Modern Rifle"
�Just Jim�

Dalton Carr:
�Tales of a Bear Hunter�

Jim Casada:
�The Lost Classics of Jack O�Connor�

Joe Cavanaugh
"The Jungle Hunter"

David Chandler:
�Legends of the African Frontier�

Roy Andrews Chapman:

Steve Christenson:

Richard Conrad:
�Safari Guide�

J Corbett:

Armand Denis:
�On Safari�

Richard Estes:
�The Safari Companion�
�The Behavior Guide to African Mammals�

Sam Fadala:
�Legendary Sporting Rifles�
�The Rifleman�s Bible�

Peter Fiducca:
�Whitetail Strategies�

William Finaughty:
�Recollections of an Elephant Hunter, 1864-1875�

Peter Flack:
�Heart of an African Hunter�

Humberto Fontova:
�The Hellpig Hunt�

Nathan Foster:
�Bolt Action Rifle Accurizing and Maintenance�
�Long Range Hunting Cartridges�
�Long Range Hunting Rifles�

Elgin Gates:
"Trophy Hunter in Asia"

Bob Hagel:

Lou Hallamore:
�In the Salt�
�Chui: A Guide to Hunting the African Leopard�

Ernest Hemingway:
"Green Hills of Africa"
�True at First Light�

Bob Henderson:
�The Fire Tower�

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

George Leonard Herter:
�The Truth About Hunting in Today�s Africa�

Gene Hill:
�A Hunter�s Fireside Book�

George Hoffman:
�A Country Boy in Africa�

Philip Holden:
�The Golden Years of Hunting in New Zealand�

Alan Huffman:
�Ten Point: Deer Camp in the Mississippi Delta�

Steven Dodd Hughes:
�Custom Rifles�

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"

Rashid Jamsheed:

John Jobson:

J.Y. Jones:
�Ask the Black Bear Guides�
�Ask the Whitetail Guides�
�Ask the Elk Guides�
�Ask the Mule Deer Guides�
�One Man, One Rifle, One Land�

Robert Jones:
�African Twilight�

Larry Kanuit:
�Some Bears Kill�

Elmer Keith:
"Hell, I was There!"
"Rifles for Big Game"
"Safari"
"Rifles for Large Game"

John Kingsley-Heath:

Larry Koller:
"Shots at Whitetails"

Denis D. Lyell:

Thomas McIntyre:
�Field & Stream Hunting Optics Handbook�
�Dreaming the Lion�

Edward Matunas:
�Guns, Ammo, and Equipment�
�Modern African Adventures�

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

George Mattis:

James Mellon:
"African Hunter"

Reinald von Meurers:

Sancha de Montebel:
"Big Game Hunting"

Bruce Nelson:
�Hunting Big Whitetails�

Arthur Newmann:

John Nosler:
�John Nosler Going Ballistic: The Life and Adventures of John Nosler�

Ian Nyschens:
�Months of the Sun�

Jack O'Connor:
"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Last Book"
"The Rifle Book"
"The Big Game Rifle"
"Horse and Buggy West"

Etienne Oggeri:
"I Killed for a Living"

Warren Page:
"One Man's Wilderness"
"The Accurate Rifle"

Alfred Pease:
"Book of the Lion"

Walt Prothero:
�Safari: A Dangerous Affair�

Kevin Robertson:
�The Perfect Shot�
�Africa�s Most Dangerous�

Theodore Roosevelt:
"African Game Trails"
�The Happy Hunting Grounds�

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"
�The Old Man�s Boy Grows Older�
�Lost Classics�
�Africa�
�The Honey Badger�
�Uhuru�
�Grenadine�s Etching�
�Grenadine�s Spawn�
�Something of Value�

Tony Sanchez-Arino
"The Last of the Few"

Hosea Sarber:
"Forty Years in Alaska"

Francis E. Sell:

Philip Sharpe:
"The Rifle in America"

Charles Sheldon:
"Wilderness of Denali"

Layne Simpson:
�Rifles and Cartridges for Large Game�

Charles Sisk:
�Selecting and Ordering a Custom Rifle�

Col. Harry Snyder:

James Sutherland:

John 'Pondoro' Taylor:

SR Truesdell:

Lamar Underwood:
�The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told�

Dwight Van Brunt:
�Born a Hunter�

Theodore Van Dyke:
�The Still Hunter�

Pierre van der Walt:
�African Dangerous Game Cartridges�

Wayne Van Zwoll:
�Modern Sporting Rifle Cartridges�

Fred Webb:
�Home from the Hill�
�Campfire Lies of a Canadian Hunting Guide�

Terry Weiland:
"Dangerous Game Rifles"
�Dangerous Game Rifles II�
�A View from a Tall Hill�

Townsend Whelen:
"The Hunting Rifle"

Stewart Edward White:

Anthony Williams:
�African Hunter Guide to Nyati�

Jay Williams:
"Alaska Adventures"

Ken Wilson:

R.L. Wilson:
�Winchester: An American Legend�

Gregor Woods:
�Rifles for Africa�

John Wooters:
�Hunting Trophy Deer�

G.O. Young:
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/01/14
I must have missed it but what about Kenneth Anderson?-Muddy
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by muddy22

Good question. I thought I had him on the list. I've added him.

There is an interesting debate in Corbett-Anderson circles: Did KA really do what he wrote about? Or was he just playing off Corbett, somewhat too closely at times?
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by muddy22

Good question. I thought I had him on the list. I've added him.

There is an interesting debate in Corbett-Anderson circles: Did KA really do what he wrote about? Or was he just playing off Corbett, somewhat too closely at times?

which is kinda why i want to read Byrnes 'Gentlemen Hunter' as he follows in Corbett's foot steps a bit....even today there is no shortage of maneaters in India....when hunting the same species in the same environs your going to see a fair bit of similar experiences....easy to tell that reading African hunters and there is no doubt a fair number the guys BTDT as they were well recorded by 3rd parties in alot cases cause even though its a huge area they tended to bump into each other and get mentioned in each others writings...
Corbett generally hunted in the Kumaon region, far North adj. to Nepal, and Anderson hunted much further South in Mysore State S&W of Bangalore. Muddy
another part of the problem is if you bring up the term "maneater" in the western world two names come up immediately Corbett and to a lesser extent Patterson.....so everyone compares maneater hunters to COrbet doesnt matter if they do it intentionally or not...even reading guys like John Brandt and Gordon Young (Brandt is still alive not sure about Young) hunting maneaters in Southeast Asia after WWII through the post-Vietnam era i automatically start comparing them to Corbett even though it was both a different time and place, they are still hunting maneating tigers and leopards
granted my Asian part of my library is no where near as extensive as my African part(but im working on it wink ) but it seems anyone that did alot of hunting in Asia went up against maneaters, Brandt is an American but he spent alot of time everywhere over there from India east to Vietnam and south through New Guinea and he wound up taking care of several maneaters even though a hunter he was there doing other things to pay the bills...as i said Gordon Young wound up facing them in Malaysia, Pat Byrne in India and Peter Byrne(not sure if they are related?) in Nepal....

none of them made a practice of hunting maneaters like Corbett or Anderson but they all have more than one story about taking care of them for locals....most the African hunters even through modern times with the likes of Tony Sanchez-Arino and John Kingsley-Heath took care of more than a few if they spent enough times in the field....there is not a shortage of maneaters even today in modern Africa and Asia....

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-great-jim-corbett/article1-1268709.aspx
I read my first Corbett about 55 years ago and most cats still scare the bejeezes outa me. Had a house cat sneak up behind me once, jump up on my back and sink all four paws worth in me. I can hardly imagine any one who would be strong enough to drag a pair around big enough to hunt a man eating Leopard. Muddy
Posted By: RevMike Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by rattler
...when hunting the same species in the same environs your going to see a fair bit of similar experiences...

Actually, the debate goes a little deeper than that. There are certain similarities when hunting similar species, no doubt. But it is the many parallels in the tales that bring up the questions. Here are a few, brought to my attention by a fellow who is more or less an expert in both men's writings, after I questioned him about the similarities I noticed.

"In Man-Eaters of Kumaon, Corbett writes about an encounter with a King Cobra which he killed with a stone. Anderson also writes about a King Cobra which raised its hood which reached his height. Being a snake lover Anderson stood still until the cobra lowered its body and crawled away.

"In the same book, the chapter titled Champawat Man-Eater, Corbett mentioned a spooky experience he had in a dak bungalow. Anderson too writes about encounters with various demons and ghosts in his book 'Tales from the Indian Jungle'.

"In Jungle Lore, and again in My India, Corbett tells about how he learned the jungle craft from an early age with the help of Kunwar Singh, an established poacher who knew everything about tigers and other animals. Anderson too had a similar instructor, Byra, the Poojaree, a cunning poacher who was caught by him. Instead of serving jail sentence he agreed to teach Anderson everything he knew about the jungle craft.

"In My India, Corbett relates the story of a bandit called 'Sultana' and how Sultana walked into his camp unarmed without making the slightest of sound. Anderson too had encounters with bandits, especially the one known as 'Mumptyvayan' who came silently one night unarmed when Anderson was sleeping in his tent pitched on a jungle clearing."

These are just a few of the similarities in their writings. The one thing, too, that this gentleman pointed out to me was the fact that all of Corbett's man-eaters are readily documented, with dates, in government archives. The documentation of Anderson's man-eaters is either shaky or non-existent. Moreover, the location of Anderson's adventures (Mysore, Bangalore, Madras, Northern Malabar, and Hyderabad) was still under British jurisdiction at the time, and the British were known for keeping very detailed records of all animals that terrorized villagers. Few, if any, records of Anderson's man-eaters exist.

If I was young and wanted a PhD, the similarities between the writings of Corbett and Anderson would be my dissertation topic. But I'm not, and as they say, I have "other fish to fry."

One more thing: personally, this debate doesn't play much in my mind as I enjoy reading Anderson's tales as well, factual or not. And since Anderson's son, Donald, died just a few months ago, I suppose we'll never now know for sure.

Posted By: muddy22 Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/02/14
Donald Anderson, RIP-Muddy
Posted By: rattler Re: Rifle Library/Bibliography - 12/02/14
granted ive not read all of Corbett's and Anderson's stuff but here are two insightsi have to two of those points...

on the cobra, as my nick on here suggests i am a snake guy, king cobras are actually quite common, would be unusually if both writers didnt write about them...one fact about kings is unlike most snakes they make a nest and then defend it, kings are so thick on the ground in most of "wet India" that during the nesting season the natives will not work in the fields cause the chances of running into a pissed off king defending her nest is to high

on the poacher thing.....as i said, not as well read on India as i am Africa but have read of this happening in Africa to more than a few guys looking to get started....

but thats just two points and you say there are more.....
© 24hourcampfire