Home
On a Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua... Using Burris 6 screw tactical rings. The scope has a slick coating. I sand papered inside of rings and sprinkled accra-glass powder on both surfaces before I re-torqued to 22 lbs.

Still slipping... I am open to suggestions.
Use a light coat of this to the rings.

It also aids in no ring marks on your scopes.

You might try scraping the aluminum oxide coating from some fairly course sand paper onto the rings. Applying some release agent to the scope and then putting a film of epoxy on the rings and tightening, either with or without the abrasives might help as well. I read about both of those methods long ago in some gun rag or the other.
Originally Posted by IAE_pilot
On a Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua... Using Burris 6 screw tactical rings. The scope has a slick coating. I sand papered inside of rings and sprinkled accra-glass powder on both surfaces before I re-torqued to 22 lbs.

Still slipping... I am open to suggestions.

I'd go 28 inch pounds
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Will it release the scope if you need to make an optics change?
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Will it release the scope if you need to make an optics change?

Yes, I've never had a problem. I clean up with mineral spirits.
They (same company) makes another that stays softer. look here.

A gun builder informed me about this product.
Thanks... I will try that.
I thought 20-22 lbs was the limit...
I thought 20-22 lbs was the limit...

28 Inch Pownds is what I use, with no problems.
Clean screws no oil.
Double-sided 3m Scotch tape. I guarantee it will not move. Degrease rings. Put a strip in each ring half.
okay, I will try that... Thanks smike
I'm FIRMLY in Hammerdown's camp,...

I use Permatex "Indian Head Shellac" myself, and it's never let me down,...cleans up with kerosene or MS.

The "Tape" CHANGES the inner radius of the rings, and is sooner or later going to "Ring" a scope body.

GTC
I have been using the tape for 20+ years and have not seen that happen. Get a little over zealous tightening the rings and you will "ring" your scope, as well.
Whatever works for you.
I just STOOD on a vice handle, and squeezed the crap outta' some 3M 2S tape,....

Miked it after and it comes up lookin like .0015-,002"

So,we change the true I.D. radius of the rings by.003"-.004", and are comfortable with that ?

OK,...."Whatever works for YOU" dittos.

I'll ride with the Permatex solution, myself.

GTC
Posted By: jt402 Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/17/14
RESIN

jack
Ordinary rubber cement works quite well.
Originally Posted by jt402
RESIN

jack

Rosin? I've always used the traditional powdered rosin, no gluing, scuffing (on the scope tube from abrasive grit), dimension change. Dissolves in alcohol so it comes off easily. But then I've never dealt with recoil much over .30-'06 levels.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/17/14
Get some rings that fit correctly and you won't need the home remedies
Originally Posted by nighthawk
RESIN

jack

Rosin? I've always used the traditional powdered rosin, no gluing, scuffing (on the scope tube from abrasive grit), dimension change. Dissolves in alcohol so it comes off easily. But then I've never dealt with recoil much over .30-'06 levels.

I've got a BIG jag of that powdered ROSIN , and would be tickled to send some to any that require a pinch . A little goes a long ways, and Brownells useta' ship it in a HUGE box.

Guys, if you throw some Coniferous ROSIN into a little de-natured Alky, you've GOT "Indian Head Shellac."

I've reduced it with common turps, too. NICE to be able to paint it on, and just THE thing for making an adjustment screw "sticky" without locking it up solid. The set trigger screw on any number of historic arms, and replicas thereof on example.

GTC

Originally Posted by Snyper

Shame we can't find goddam SOCK that fits that over-runny pie hole of yours, I'd say.

GTC
I was wondering just how much did the OP "sand" the inside of the rings ?? A little goes a long ways
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/18/14
A little goes a long ways

And sometimes too far wink

I lapped rings when it was all the rage and that increases the contact area between the scope tube and the rings. More area, more friction, and the better it holds. Rosin increases friction and is a lot easier, and faster so unless I have problem rings I got out of the habit of lapping.

How 'bout that, made Indian Head Shellac and didn't even know it. smile Have a jar of powdered rosin that holds about 4, maybe 5, ounces. Lifetime supply right there. And handy for other even non-gun stuff that slips a little. Including baseballs.

It has nothing to do with the rings fitting correctly... Burris 6 screw tactical rings are excellent. The scope tube has a hard and slippery finish.
I called the scope company which sent some friction tape... Problem cured. By the way, they said to never exceed 22 lbs on the ring screws.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/20/14

It has nothing to do with the rings fitting correctly... Burris 6 screw tactical rings are excellent. The scope tube has a hard and slippery finish.

All scopes have a hard, slippery finish, and it's obvious these rings are too loose

Let me guess... You are one of the web warriors that has to get the last word in no matter what.

I have several scopes that have a rough, matte finish from the manufacturer.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/20/14
Let me guess... You are one of the web warriors that has to get the last word in no matter what.

I have several scopes that have a rough, matte finish from the manufacturer.

There's no sense in getting pissed at me because you stuff doesn't work

If the rings fit as they should, it wouldn't be slipping, no matter what the finish on the scope

It's not my fault you got a bad set of rings
Plain old "rubber cement" works just as well and easier than the other things suggested.

And yes, lots of scopes in the past had high gloss slippery finishes. A proper set of rings won't slip, even without any "gripper" added.
You're a funny guy...
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Plain old "rubber cement" works just as well and easier than the other things suggested.

And yes, lots of scopes in the past had high gloss slippery finishes. A proper set of rings won't slip, even without any "gripper" added.

Well, I've just proven that they will with enough force applied...
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/21/14
RESIN

jack

This or a light coat of 3M Spray Adheasive like Buehler used to use (I was told it was a light duty rubber cement).
I have tried most of the things listed and have settled on a toothpick dab of gorilla glue- top and bottom.
rosin powder works great. go to a sports store and get a pitchers rosin bag.thats what i use to hold a rifle barrel in my barrel vise.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Well, I've just proven that they will with enough force applied...

No, though you insist on not listening to what is being said here, your rings are not fitting correctly, or else they would not slip. I use the exact same rings that you are speaking of, and I would in no way consider them a high-quality ring as far as fit/finish. They do what I want in a specific situation at a low price point, but that is with the addition of something to add "grip."
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/22/14
I use the exact same rings that you are speaking of, and I would in no way consider them a high-quality ring as far as fit/finish.

But, But , But......They're TACTICAL rings

They have to be special

(Although he did feel a need to sand them and add metal powder, which most likely is acting as a lubricant)
I use the exact same rings that you are speaking of, and I would in no way consider them a high-quality ring as far as fit/finish.

They have to be special

(Although he did feel a need to sand them and add metal powder, which most likely is acting as a lubricant)

I can't reply to this without getting snarky...
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope slipping under recoil - 10/23/14

They have to be special

I can't reply to this without getting snarky...

I'm just going by what you told us
© 24hourcampfire