Home
Posted By: squesh think bullet diamter matters? - 10/19/14
How about an 80 gr .45 jhp, split nearly in half lengthwise, driven to 2300 fps in an alloy Commander, using 460 Rowland brass and a fully supported barrel. 900 ft lbs. I assure you that such a load is feasible, safe, and highly controlable in recoil. It has no more recoil than normal .45 ball ammo, yet it hits every bit as hard as a 223 carbine, using softpoints in the 223. Those who have hit things with such a 223 softpoint (at carbine ranges) know that that means "plenty hard enough" as far as combat goes. Real power in a gun that's truly ccw capable, all day long, anyplace.
the bullet segments break apart at penetration, yaw/tumble in the target, giving you two massive wound tracks, with the advantage of Mach II hyraulic forces, tearing fragile organs 9mostly lung) beyond the diamater of the permanent wound cavity (by 1/2" or so) So, at handgun ranges (10 yds or a lot less, typically) this load is considerably more effective than a typical 240 grhp .44 mag.
Im gonna go with No. Thank you, though.
Kills them twice as dead?
What's a mach II hyraulic force?
I know there've been some very interesting developments in standard caliber loads, but for me, as long as there's lead, I'll be using it. I like penetration, and big ol' moderate speed heavy slugs ALWAYS penetrate, and with some of the hopped up offenders around these days, that matters to me. Cavitation and "hydrostatic shock" are very desirable for deer hunting, but for really big or dangerous stuff, I'll take bullet wt. and diameter. That makes me a bit backwards, I realize, but there's a reason for it. I've seem whizbang this and that come and go, but I'm ready to be convinced IF and WHEN these loads are generally available and popular. Some of us have learned that what's worked historically, STILL works, while the new stuff has yet to be sufficiently proven for us.

That makes us a very hard sell, but we DO like to keep an open mind, at least.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

It means it sells for $2 a bullet.

It's what you get when you split your bullets nearly in half lengthwise.
Originally Posted by dassa

It's what you get when you split your bullets nearly in half lengthwise.

I dunno',...

Are you quite sure it doesn't have something to do with a head caught between a semi and a loading dock ?
© 24hourcampfire