Home
Posted By: Deans 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Picked up a stainless .284, 5R barrel blank from the classifieds a few weeks ago and after debating between 7-08, 7 RSAUM & 280/280AI decided to go with the 280/280AI. Not sure which chambering I want to go with.

What are some of your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks Deans
Posted By: Higginez Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
If reloading is part of your hobby, Ackley.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
AI if you reload. beware though that Nosler 280AI brass doesn't chamber in some minimum-chamber barrels (you'll need to FF from 280 brass)
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
What is the primary purpose of the rifle?

What's the barrel length, action, weight etc.

If you have not had an "AI" yet then what the heck!

The .280 is not popular, nor is the original 7X64.

The .260 and 7mm RM are popular and brass is easier to find.
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Go Ackley ! Just make sure you tell your smith you want to use nosler brass !
Posted By: mudhen Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Had a six-lug Wby Mk. V in .280 with a 24" barrel and had it opened up to .280 AI. Gained about 120-130 fps with 120 BTs and right around 100 fps with 140s. As you would expect, accuracy stayed the same. My wife had a Model 70 Fwt with a 22" barrel that got within 50-60 fps of the AI with the same bullet weights using loads published in the Nosler manual.

I would like to have another .280 AI someday, but it's not at the top of my want list.
Posted By: iddave Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
I have a standard .280 and with a 22" tube and manage to hit 3k with 140 TTSXs. It keeps dropping animals near and far with no drama at all.

I'm not opposed to AIs of course, but that particular set-up doesn't leave me wanting for much. I'd be more inclined to go AI, but the various nuances of brass compatibility I keep reading about spooks me a little.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

DC
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
If you are considering the AI because you want more performance, thaqt is not the way to get it, at least not meaningfully more performance. If you want more performance than the 280 provides, chamber for a magnum caliber. I always wanted a 7mm RUM myself.

Regarding issues with Nosler AI brass, would the alleged issues go away by just resizing the new brass before loading?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
What Big Redhead said. Most of the extra zip from the .280 AI is due to running at higher pressures than the standard .280, 65,000 psi versus 60,000. If you're going to handload, that extra 5000 psi is easy to provide--or even more, if you're that sort of handloader.

Now, if trimming brass on big game cartridges makes you really weary, then the AI might be worth it.
Posted By: tcp Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
I recently had an AI made for no good reason other than I wanted one, the performance gains are minimal (percentage wise) and of no consequence in actual hunting use. (slow typer, as mentioned above before I could complete my post)

However, I learned a lot about annealing, fire forming, and head space measurement that previously I had understood in theory but had not done in practice. I have been making standard caliber ammo successfully for 30 plus years.

It was a worthwhile experience for me.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Regarding issues with Nosler AI brass, would the alleged issues go away by just resizing the new brass before loading?

In my personal situation, maximum resizing with STD die and STD shellholder still wouldn't allow them to chamber. Having already spent the $$ on 100 Nosler cases, I needed to grind down a shellholder, resize them, then throw the shellholder away.

FF 280 brass for me from here on out!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Or you could just buy a .270, but what's the fun of that? Isn't the joy of being a rifle loony mean wrestling with expensive rifles that don't act exactly like we'd hoped--and then posting on the Campfire for advice on exorcising the demons?
true....but getting those cases sized enough to FF was a real PITA laugh
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or you could just buy a .270, but what's the fun of that? Isn't the joy of being a rifle loony mean wrestling with expensive rifles that don't act exactly like we'd hoped--and then posting on the Campfire for advice on exorcising the demons?

TFF, but oh so true..............

[Linked Image]

MM
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Just have your smith chamber for nosler brass and forget about all of the sizing and fireforming issues !!
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
What Big Redhead said. Most of the extra zip from the .280 AI is due to running at higher pressures than the standard .280, 65,000 psi versus 60,000. If you're going to handload, that extra 5000 psi is easy to provide--or even more, if you're that sort of handloader.

Now, if trimming brass on big game cartridges makes you really weary, then the AI might be worth it.

I always wondered why Nosler 280 AI brass seemed soft and Nosler 280 Rem Brass didn't. smirk

The 280 AI is a tidal wave in a tin cup if there ever was one. But try not to mention that here. wink
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14

If the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, then buy a 7 mm magnum instead of a 26 inch barreled 280 AI rifle. But we like being rifle loonies!
Posted By: BradB Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...276415/280_ackley_do_or_dont#Post9276415
Posted By: Shodd Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Chamber the rifle for the Saami Spec Nosler 280 AI brass has some advantages!

1. You can use already formed nosler brass!

2. You can buy off the shelf 280 AI ammo and the headspace is correct because any and all shelf ammo will be Saami Spec!

3. You can still fireform any 280 ammo or brass!

4. It will eliminate any confusion when ordering dies as you simply state your chamber is Saami Spec. All die companies know what Saami spec is however a non Saami Spec 280 AI chamber could be any spec....who really knows?

Shod
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
I've never bothered buying the Nosler 280 Ackley brass as it just seems to be more expense than it's worth. Can't really comment on the "softness" of the Norma brass as it seems to last as long as any other brand and I tend to run my loads at full tilt. I haven't used my 06 Lapua brass for my 280 Ackley yet, but if it's like all the other Lapua brass I've used it will most likely last forever.
Posted By: Shodd Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I've never bothered buying the Nosler 280 Ackley brass as it just seems to be more expense than it's worth. Can't really comment on the "softness" of the Norma brass as it seems to last as long as any other brand and I tend to run my loads at full tilt.

Nosler 280 Ackley brass is Norma brass. Made by Norma for Nosler.

Shod
Posted By: MTGunner Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
I load Norma 280 brass to fireform in my 280AI, 26" bbl. Rem. 700 Sendero. This rifle started as a 25-06, sent to Darrel Holland to have action blue printed, 26" PacNor bbl. with competition recoil lug and a quick discharge brake installed. I have replaced the old trigger with a Jewel HVR. This is topped with a Burris 3-12 Signature scope. I have taken a few trophies with this arrangement and am very pleased, indeed, with my 280AI. BTW, I have necked up 270 Win. brass to .284, fire formed these cases and they shoot as well as any other brass that I load. Again, having said this you must understand that I do all the pertinent steps to customize the brass. I have approx. 500 rounds through this rifle. It will shoot 140BT in a 1/2" group all day. I took a Scimitar Horned Oryx with it in 2011. One shot @285 yard laser ranged. Down for the count. I reccommend the 280AI highly. MTG
Yes it is the same. From what I've ben told, not all Nosler brass is made by Norma, but most of it is. Can't remember who the other one was, but I believe it was one of the domestic brands, perhaps Hornady, but not positive about that. Some folks think that the Norma brass is softer, but I haven't found that to be the case for me. It is very consistent as far as weight as I used to go through the weighing process, but gave up on that with the Norma and Lapua as they both seem to be very consistent. I also believe both of those brands drill the flash holes instead of punching them like a lot of the domestic brands.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/28/14
People think its soft because they can't stop adding powder or think manuals are lawyer proof.
The 280 Ackley seems to get a lot of emotion from the 270 fans for some reason, but in reality there is little difference on game at most any reasonable distance. There does seem to be a better selection of 284 bullets available for the long distance crowd if that floats your boat, but for me I'm not into throwing haymakers at live game.
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
true....but getting those cases sized enough to FF was a real PITA laugh

For me is was easy.
I had both .280 and .280 AI dies, so I began by sizing the necks of .30/06 brass and chambering the empty cases so I was establishing a crush feel on bolt closure.

Next I loaded a couple sized from each die to see if there was a difference that my calipers could not detect. There was.

The standard .280 dies fire formed with no headspace issue. The A1 dies created just enough headspace that I could see the mark externally and feel the internal partial separation with a bend circlip I have used for around 40 years to examine cases.

After that, it was easy to size the '06 case and generate the false shoulder and test by continually chambering the empty case now and then and confirming the crush fit just to monitor the case prep.

In taking this approach, I lost no cases using the .280 die after that. I would stress that new or once fired cases only should be used to avoid neck splitting using work hardened cases that are already into their lifespan.

The A1 appears to be about 200fps on the Mauser cartridge which is an established proven round. The A1 will for very little extra recoil, deliver a little flatter trajectory and a little more thump at the receiving end. It also seems to be an accurate alternative well worth considering.

John
Posted By: Huntz Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/29/14
You guys forgot the most important aspect of the 280AI.The brass looks cool!!!!!
Posted By: vapodog Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/29/14
Not a darn thing wrong with the .280 Remington as-is....it's a splendid round and if you really need more step up in caliber as well in powder capacity.

A properly handloaded .280 Rem is right on the heels of the 7mm rem mag......and that's saying a fair amount.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/29/14
Just get a 270, then there's no con's.... Grin
Posted By: cal74 Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/29/14
Originally Posted by RDFinn
but in reality there is little difference on game at most any reasonable distance.

That statement can probably apply to 99% of what we all would consider deer/elk cartridges.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/29/14
Originally Posted by vapodog
Not a darn thing wrong with the .280 Remington as-is....it's a splendid round and if you really need more step up in caliber as well in powder capacity.

A properly handloaded .280 Rem is right on the heels of the 7mm rem mag......and that's saying a fair amount.

Right nothing wrong with the 280 Rem as is but 7mm Mag performance can be reloaded to higher performance levels also.Cal hit it about as close as can get. Magnum Man
Posted By: elliesbear Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 11/29/14
I built a 280AI for my son because he wanted something different that I built for him. Really nice rifle, octagon barrel, high grade European walnut, 26 LPI checkering. He shoots 120 grain TTSX and kills whitetails with deadly effect, better than a .280; not unless you want something different.
Posted By: Quartermaster Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/01/14
Don't worry about the Nosler brass not chambering. As long as your rifle is chamber to the current SAAMI specs, you will not have a problem.

I have had 2 .280 AIs made in the last 3 years and love both of them. I also have 2 .280s, one is a Browning A Bolt and the other is a Rem 700 mountain rifle. I have had these for a long time. Both are great shooters, but I was never able to load either of them with 140 gr bullets and get 3000 FPS, without pressure. I know many say that they can easily do it. I start showing a bit of pressure no matter what powder, bullets, or primer I use.

I shoot 140 VLDs in one of my Ackleys and 140 BTs in the other, both around 3150 FPS with no pressure signs at all. The Nosler brass fits the chambers in both perfectly with zippo for extra headspace. I can feel an ever slight resistance when lowering the bolt handle.

I almost get the same velocity as I do in my 7 Mag, and no belt to deal with. I had to buy a special collet sizing die to size my brass for the mag after a few firings as my dies wouldn't size the case just above the belt and I started to experience chambering problems.

Go for the AI and don't look back. You will love it
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/01/14
My simple brain breaks it all down like this from 22-24" barrels and handloads in each:

280-140's at 3050
280AI-150's at 3050
7 Rem Mag-160's at 3050.

These are the "pros" and there are no "cons".....There are as many variations on this basic theme as there are hand loaders wanting to hawk their own agenda and favorite bullets....but IMHO the relationships don't change.

What Cal and Mule Deer both say is true because we have invented and re-invented the same ballistics for over 100 years now in different packaging.This creates an excuse to acquire another rifle and cartridge we really don't need... smile
Posted By: vapodog Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My simple brain breaks it all down like this from 22-24" barrels and handloads in each:

280-140's at 3050
280AI-150's at 3050
7 Rem Mag-160's at 3050.

These are the "pros" and there are no "cons".....There are as many variations on this basic theme as there are hand loaders wanting to hawk their own agenda and favorite bullets....but IMHO the relationships don't change.

What Cal and Mule Deer both say is true because we have invented and re-invented the same ballistics for over 100 years now in different packaging.This creates an excuse to acquire another rifle and cartridge we really don't need... smile

Bob said it a tad better than I did.....but the reality of it all is simply his last sentence
Posted By: Gasman Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/02/14
Or you could just buy a .270, but what's the fun of that?

What the....??? A 270?

JB, I've lost faith in you because of that statement and am sending back your optics book. Be advised that I may be tearing out a couple of chapters first as I haven't finished reading them yet.
Posted By: Gasman Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/02/14
To the OP: one benefit of the Ackley version is being able to go with a shorter barrel and not lose anything ballistically. For example, you could run a 22" barrel in a 280AI and you might expect it to perform similarly to a 24" 280 Rem (individual barrels do vary, though).
Posted By: Shodd Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/02/14
If you put together a 280 AI the truth is you simply do it just because. There is no miraculous velocity gain however as someone mentioned the fireformed shell looks way cool. Ive had one built and would consider another.

Shod
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/02/14
This creates an excuse to acquire another rifle and cartridge we really don't need... smile

Bob . . . you know what they say about need, right? wink
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 280/280AI Pros/Cons? - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
This creates an excuse to acquire another rifle and cartridge we really don't need... smile

Bob . . . you know what they say about need, right? wink

Whelan oh yeah! I am constantly conflicted between knowing I have what I need,and wanting something else... smile

I have been a good boy mostly but lately have scratched a couple of itches....sigh! blush
© 24hourcampfire