Home
Posted By: powdr Do you guys bed your Tikka's? - 12/18/14
I know Youkonal does but his are works of art. I'm just talking about a regular hunting rifle. Got one coming next week in a 338Federal. I also ordered the B&C Medalist for it and is the reason I'm asking. Thanks guys, powdr
No.

Travis
No.

mike r
Guys or Guts? You got my attention with this one.
No, but I don't have a Tikka
Yeah that darned t got pushed instead of the y. Thanks guys...anybody else? Travis is that your famous 7mm-08 that shoots 22-250 to kill elk? powdr
Posted By: PSE Re: Do you guts bed your Tikka's? - 12/19/14
No - there's no need, it's not a Remington - It shoots great just as it comes from the factory
Nope.
No. Shoots lights out from the factory - why potentially run a good thing?
Bedding wouldn't improve mine my T-3 223 groups under 1/2 right out of the box. Hornady 60 gr V-Max with 26 gr of Varget, Remington 7.5 BR Primers in Win Cases
So, I should be able to slap it in the Medalist and be good? OK I'LL TRY THAT FIRST. powdr

I would shoot it in the factory stock first, then slap it in the Medalist and see where you are.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I would shoot it in the factory stock first, then slap it in the Medalist and see where you are.

This.

And no.

P
I did when I first got it but it pissed my wife off, so now my T3 Lite Stainless .308 spends the night in the safe.
No , I have had 3, still have 2. All hammers in factory stock with no bedding.
T3 Lite bedded recoil lug area, before I shot it. I do not know why. Was a pain to get bedding to stick/lock in place. Shoots good but probably would have anyway.
Posted By: PSE Re: Do you guts bed your Tikka's? - 12/19/14
Who would have thought it!!! A factory rifle, priced competitively that shoots great right out of the box with no mods required.

Remington, Ruger, Winchester etc please take note.
I have factory rifles that shoot great right out of the box that don't start with T.

There are many reasons to bed a rifle that don't revolve around accuracy, though many are too stupid to know.
I love my Tikka. It shoots great out of the box and smooth action also. They guarantee their accuracy. A reasonably priced rifle with great accuracy and it is lite and carries well. What more could you want? I tell my friends that it is one of the better deals in rifles today but they don't seem to speak Tikka here in redneck country Georgia. LOL. I just bought a new stainless Tikka T3 for 580.00 just because nobody buys them around here in Middle Georgia.
Just as a follow up to one of the comments above. I have fully bedded all of my 700s and 70s, including my Pre-64 06 I had. I even skim bedded my HS Presion stocks on a HS SPR and 700 LTR.

The Tikka factory stock/recoil lug setup does look a little odd and flimsy at first glance, but the WAY sub MOA groups from the 3 I have had made me a believer in it. All of mine have not been finicky about the bullet weights or types.

Being somewhat of a gun plumber I always figure I can improve my guns, so I got a B&C Medalist Tikka stock and skim bedded it to my gun. The results were no better than the factory stock setup, but I added weight and cost to my gun. Also the B&C stock had a thicker feel to it.

Are T3s perfect? No as I am not a detachable magazine fan, but I live with it as they shoot lights out as is and have as good a trigger one could ask for right out of the box.

My 2 cents. Merry X-mas all and be safe.
Agree with all the above. I've had three and have 2 now. Don't like the mag, fit, and feel; but definitely can't argue with the wide bullet/powder likes range, accuracy, and more importantly, consistency. All my Tikkas shot every load within an inch each of one another. Made the mistake of selling my 25-06. Won't do that again.
I agree with leaving well enough alone but a stock change might make a difference in accuracy and I don't see how it could get any better.
Originally Posted by powdr
So, I should be able to slap it in the Medalist and be good? OK I'LL TRY THAT FIRST. powdr

I did just that and it shot great. You will notice that there is no indent on the B&C screw holes in the stock like there is on the factory stock. The fit on the b&c is very tight which almost eliminates the need for bedding. I bedded it from tang to front of lug with Probed 2000 and skipped the internal lug . I have not shot it enough to say that it is better but combined with the b&C tight inletting and the glass bedding it(action and barrel) its as skin tight a bedding job as possible.

I will say that the original factory stock and the cheap aluminum lug were not very tight in the stock , I purchased a lumley arms titanium lug and it was very tight in the laminated stock recess. I did not want to bed the original laminated stock that came with the rifle , so that is why I bought the B&C . I like the B&C stock much more then the factory laminated stock or the factory synthetic stock.
probably wrong thread to ask. Why the hate for tikka stocks. Mine is light, the gun shoots well, it feels good except it is slippy and it makes that hollow sound. 16Bore tells us how to fix the slippy and the hollow sound is easy to fix. Why spent the price i paid for mine on a different(heavier) stock. Do not want a big dam fight, just trying to understand.
I've got no problem with the factory synthetic stock on my 223 but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want the same design stock on a hard kicker.
For me they don't fit exactly right, not horrible they just feel a bit funny.
My last Tikka I got from a Cabelas, on 06 Boar Hunter model which has a fluted barrel and Steel Express sights, has a recoil lug that fits much tighter in the stock and in the lug recess on the receiver than my other ones. It has no play in it.

Spence
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
probably wrong thread to ask. Why the hate for tikka stocks. Mine is light, the gun shoots well, it feels good except it is slippy and it makes that hollow sound. 16Bore tells us how to fix the slippy and the hollow sound is easy to fix. Why spent the price i paid for mine on a different(heavier) stock. Do not want a big dam fight, just trying to understand.

Don't hate them just think the Medalist for a few hundred is a better stock and has a beautiful recoil pad . Mine is a 270 and it is just a pleasure to shoot
Yeah hunter that's why I ordered mine. I haven't felt the factory stock yet but I can tell from the looks of it...it's not going to work for me, too trim. I am a big fellow, 6"2' and 295 lbs and I have to have a somewhat more robust stock to feel right in my hands. My LOP is 13 3/4 so I ordered it so as not to have to fool w/the recoil pad change. It did cost $35 extra but I learned a long time ago to get what you want and need the first go round. I'm really pretty excited about getting it. powdr
Do you guys bed your Tikkas?

It used to be my policy to bed all things female and Swedish, until the former Mrs Walter ruined an otherwise remarkable string of successes.

Was that an answer to your question?
Posted By: PSE Re: Do you guts bed your Tikka's? - 12/20/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have factory rifles that shoot great right out of the box that don't start with T.

There are many reasons to bed a rifle that don't revolve around accuracy, though many are too stupid to know.

Awww - p**d on someones pet rifle.......again!

I'll bet... the ones you're talking about start with S and end in O. laugh
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I've got no problem with the factory synthetic stock on my 223 but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want the same design stock on a hard kicker.
I have a 300 win mag and you would be as surprised as I was that the stock works perfectly fine for a 6.5 lb 300 win mag.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

There are also ways to mount a scope on a 243 so one will not continually scope one's self though I hear some are to stupid to know how.

Such individuals should probably take up knitting. grin

Shod
What you don't know would fill volumes.

I guess I missed the part about his rifle being a T3, though one can assume.

How many UNBEDDED stocks have you seen cracked? In fact how much of anything have you ever seen?
I didn't bed mine. I usually will bed my rifles.

I bought this one NIB from a guy that won it at a Ducks unlimited meeting and the price was about $400. I wanted a cheap beater, lightweight, 100% factory rifle that I hoped would shoot good, for coyote hunting in nasty weather or for a loaner.

I actually like the rifle. I did adjust the trigger to about 2 lbs and rattlecanned some paint on it. I am even using the factory rings. It does shoot very well, and as a 22-250 there really isn't any recoil to speak of.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

It used to be my policy to bed all things female and Swedish, until the former Mrs Walter ruined an otherwise remarkable string of successes.

That's what I've been thinking all along.....just couldn't find a way to put it into words. You succeeded! LOL.

Tikka's are pretty simple.

Just take it out of the box, mount some optics, and shoot it.
Nope, might know a bit about a certain one in 338 Federal. MOA like another one in the house. No idea about the new stock, never saw the need to replace the one it has.

It seems to me that the Remington guys are the ones who are likely to bed their rifles.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

It seems to me that the Remington guys are the ones who are likely to bed their rifles.

And replace triggers, and rebarrel and replace bolts, bottom metal and faulty safeties.... Like some one said before, Tikkas you mount a scope and go kill stuff, kinda boring but damn effective.....
I've bedded every rifle I've ever owned with the exception of Tikkas.

The tikka is a turn key rifle!

Shod
On a T3 replace the recoil lug with steel one and for precision work a Yodave spring gives a nice light trigger but not for hunting.
I've owned 5 of them and haven't bedded any even the 2 I dropped into B&C Medalist stocks. To be honest they didn't shoot any better in the Medalist stocks.

The T3 is probably the most accurate out of the box production rifle made. My son just acquired a SS T3 in 243 that shot 3 shot groups at or less than 1/2" with 3 different loads. As others stated just scope them and shoot them.
Once.

I picked up an overrun walnut stock from CDNN a couple of years ago to put on my stainless synthetic '06. I bedded the front of the action, around the recoil lug and chamber portion of the barrel. I just figured it would keep disassembly/reassembly consistent. Shoots the same as it did in the original unmolested synthetic stock - very well. Was bedding needed? Probably not. My other '06 stayed in it's synthetic stock (they happen to fit me) and will remain unmolested.
you'd think with all the good things people have to say about the tikka rifles they would become way more popular then they are.80-90% of guys i meet at gunshows have never heard of them.

i know one thing my 270 t3 is not going anywhere.
I know Youkonal does but his are works of art. I'm just talking about a regular hunting rifle. Got one coming next week in a 338Federal. I also ordered the B&C Medalist for it and is the reason I'm asking. Thanks guys, powdr

Bed her?

Not yet; but we've engaged in heavy petting in a tree stand. We kill something, we gonna freak Faux Shaux! laugh
Mostly see the synthetic ones here. They are too ugly for the price and it is a strange name to many of the hillbillies. By the way I have 2 and like them.
Well, they do seem to work well right out of the box. Plastic yes but none of it has ever broke or failed to work. Smooth bolt, great trigger, and ACCURATE.
Mine aren't...
© 24hourcampfire