Home
a Savage 99EG in 300 Savage. It's in about 85% condition but has had sling studs added. It is undrilled & the serial # is 555xxx. There is no letter code to date it, anyone know when it was built. I hope to find some ammo or brass & use it next year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Thanks, it's in great shape for a 65 year old. 99's are rare around here so I got this 1 for $375 OTD & the pawn shop owner was happy to se it go.
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
99's are rare around here so I got this 1 for $375 OTD & the pawn shop owner was happy to se it go.

Well, I can certainly see why that's your favorite pawn shop. Good score.
Good grab- that's a hell of a deal.
Funny how all the gun photos lately have a dog in them- must be campfire protocol
I have one like yours Serial # 544XXX, stamp on lever boss says 24B which comes back as 1950.
Damn good find.
Excellent score smile

I'd grab a tang or receiver sight for it, and go hunting.
Very nice!
That Dog Will Hunt.
What a score. Around these parts they are mighty proud of their Savages.
I think you made out just fine.
Nice gun.
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
That Dog Will Hunt.
What a score. Around these parts they are mighty proud of their Savages.
I think you made out just fine.

Ditto here. I was in a LGS yesterday and they had 4 lined up ranging from $650 to $850. None were in overly great shape.

Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Funny how all the gun photos lately have a dog in them- must be campfire protocol

As much as I like dogs, I fondly remember the previous campfire protocol of "poolside pics with firearms".

You did fine price wise. And congratulations on owning one of the finest hunting rifles ever built.

The .300 Savage is a deer slayin' caliber that's easy on the shoulder and there is lots of reloading data for it.

Don't be surprised if you start thinking you "need" another model 99 or 2. smile
Crap, years of wandering around small gun shops and pawn shops in Atlanta only showed me about 3 savage 99 rats priced around $1000. Though there are a TON of Marlins down there.

You got a very good deal. Sling studs aren't horrible, though those white spacers have to go. grin
When you close the lever on one of those, it sounds and feels like a vault door closing. They're wonderful....good find.
Good receiver sight and you will be ready to go
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Dog is lookin' for the guy that shot his paw.
I'd like to stumble on one like that in 250-3000 when I happened to have some cash in my pocket!

Nice find!
Go to the Savage Collectors' Forum on this site. Lightfoot, a member, supplies no-drill scope mounts for these rifles. I'm awaiting delivery on my third one. You can then use Leupold-style rings and any scope you want. I am taking my 1953 EG in .300 out to shoot this afternoon and I expect great things.
© 24hourcampfire