Home
My mind is telling me there was a topic regarding this, but I can't find it. I'm interested in a 9.3x62, with a 22 inch barrel and iron sights, QD rings and scope. It probably does not make much difference with this round but would just like to know.
If it handles the way you like then it sounds good to me. That cartridge has a relatively large bore for its case capacity, so it doesn't need a bunch of barrel to perform.
My CZ 550 9.3x62 has a 23.6" barrel, but for a while I also owned a Mannlicher-stocked CZ 9.3x62 with, I believe, a 21" barrel. One day I chronographed several loads in both rifles, both factory and handloads, and there wasn't enough difference to worry about. In fact one load was a little faster in the shorter barrel!
The barrel can be 16" or 26" or anywhere in between, and will have no effect on caliber.

It will still be a 9.3x62...
Are you the English prof or the smartarse? I guess I walked into that one!
Professor...and you did. grin
Lotsa people profess to be a professor , it don't mean they is one.

Mike
If you "profess" something, that makes you a "professor", by definition, even if it's professing to be a ejakashunul professor, an you ain't really one.
Ingwe professes a lot, but edgamacated he aren't. laugh
Detractors...... cry

Spent the last four years teaching college. I think that counts...

And if not, we always have smartarse to fall back on. grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
Detractors...... cry

Did you teach the metric system?

Today's lesson plan - why the 270 is gay and the 7x57 is Uber
Actually I didn't, but when I started reloading as a young lad the US was supposed to be going metric, so I learned a few things, and still measure my cartridges in millimeters for O.A.L. and can't convert them back to inches! cry

Oh, and everybody knows about the uber 7x57 and the gay .270 by now. No need to teach it.
The barrel can be 16" or 26" or anywhere in between, and will have no effect on caliber.

That's what I was going to say.
Originally Posted by carp
Are you the English prof or the smartarse? I guess I walked into that one!

He's not a smartarse. He simply stated the obvious. We should say what we mean.
Actually I didn't, but when I started reloading as a young lad...

Is that when you bit the paper off the end, poured the powder down the barrel, and rammed the projectile home in cotton ticking? 4F in the flashpan, correct??

grin
Thanks for your reply RL, I'll put it on my self improvement list.
I have barrel "rules"...the smaller the hole, the longer the barrel. And the bigger the hole, the shorter the barrel.

Just so long as the smaller hole is not on a barrel longer than 26"s and the big hole is not on a barrel shorter than 21"...and assuming it isn't a handgun.

Or a 270/280,30-06,7/08 etc and then it can't be longer than 22".Unless it's a .22 or 243 and then it can be 22-24".

Or a 338 or 375 can be 22"-24".

And a 416-458 can be 25" but not much shorter,while a 7mm or 300 mag can be 24-26".

See what I mean? blush
Detractors...... cry

Pubes, or is it Poobs? You ain't one of those liberal college perfessers that are brainwashing our young 'uns about the metric system, are ya'? laugh
I think the smaller the bore the larger percentage the loss per inch of barrel.
I've a .375 that pulls 2510 MV with 270's over 622 gr. IMR4895 in a 20". Can't imagine 24 increasing velocity equal to the ungainliness.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I have barrel "rules"...the smaller the hole, the longer the barrel. And the bigger the hole, the shorter the barrel.

Just so long as the smaller hole is not on a barrel longer than 26"s and the big hole is not on a barrel shorter than 21"...and assuming it isn't a handgun.

Or a 270/280,30-06,7/08 etc and then it can't be longer than 22".Unless it's a .22 or 243 and then it can be 22-24".

Or a 338 or 375 can be 22"-24".

And a 416-458 can be 25" but not much shorter,while a 7mm or 300 mag can be 24-26".

See what I mean? blush

Piffle. I have a .45 with a 42" barrel. Phhhht!

Don't need no stinkin' bayonet either.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

That's what I was going to say.

Well, you're all wrong. The caliber will be 9.3. grin

I'd think gentlemen of your caliber would know that.
I KNEW somebody was going to get me on that! cry

[Linked Image]

cool
Remarkable resemblance!
Any rifle loony will remember that barrel length expressed in multiples of the bore size is the caliber. Frex a 5" 50 caliber is longer than a 3" 50 caliber. None of these will meet weight limits for hunting in Idaho so it really doesn't matter.

I tend to figure that anytime my rifle seems clumsy and the barrel too long it's me being clumsy and I'm likely trying to move too fast - the Pennsylvania Kentucky rifle ran long and was used by better hunters than I will ever be and those hunters had to get closer than I do and had to move through more woods with their longer barrels than I will ever be lucky enough to do. They did it ok.

Agreed my .375 bore has an absolutely shorter barrel and a shorter barrel expressed in calibers to boot. My .220 Swift has a longer barrel absolute and a longer barrel expressed in calibers but I don't carry it far from my transportation.
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
those hunters..... had to move through more woods with their longer barrels than I will ever be lucky enough to do.

No, America was all grasslands back then, everyone knows that.
Colorado certainly was all grass lands. That's why National Jewish is in Denver - no tree pollen in the early days so less allergic reaction for the newcomers.

There must have been a few trees in the east though at least a few
On this trip, he traveled into Eastern Tennessee, where he carved his name on the bark of a large beech tree on the banks of a stream known today as "Boone's Creek." This carving read, "D. Boon killed a bar on this tree in the year 1760." This inscription was seen and commented upon by other hunters as early as 1770, and the tree still stood in 1853 when the carving on it was photographed. Throughout his life, Daniel Boone enjoyed recording outstanding events of his daily life, such as a good game kill, finding fresh water, or his travel to a particularly desirable area, by carving his name and the date on a tree. In pursuit of this practice, some 13 years later, he left a similar inscription on a tree near Long Island, Tennessee which read, "D. Boon killa bar on this tree 1773." Such carving of information on the smooth bark of large trees appears to have been a common practice of the frontier hunter.
emphasis added
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Colorado certainly was all grass lands. That's why National Jewish is in Denver.....

No, just de plains boss, de plains.
Jeez, I woulda been happy with the first couple of answers. I think I'm more confused now than when I started. I hope your all happy!
Hey, I knew what you meant by your question! Glad I replied early....
FYI, with Mule Deer's load data my 20.5 barrel gets 2525 with 250 grain accubonds and 2415 with 286 grain partitions.
© 24hourcampfire