Home
Posted By: carp 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/30/15
I've fire formed in the past with 06 AI and 35 Whelen, pretty much shot 06's in the AI and resized and shot the Whelen. Currently with a 300H&H I put a false shoulder on those for a 1st fire. With this new to me 338 I wanted to put the bullet into the lands and shoot. With a light bullet, faster powder, wouldn't I reduce the starting load 10%, for this setup? Also submitted this in the reloading forum.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/30/15
What exactly are you trying to form into .338 Win. brass? Maybe I'm slow, but I can't tell from your post.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/30/15
No need to seat a bullet into the rifling or make a false shoulder, the belt will keep the brass in the proper position for fireforming.
Posted By: carp Re: 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/30/15
I guess I'm going overboard. I've heard belted mags should use the shoulder for headspace not the belt. Just trying to establish that on the 1st fire. Since after the first fire I will be using the shoulder, it probably won't be an issue, as AzShooter has said. Probably just load 'em and go.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/30/15
Yep. (That's why I was a little baffled by your post.)
Posted By: Huntz Re: 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by carp
I guess I'm going overboard. I've heard belted mags should use the shoulder for headspace not the belt. Just trying to establish that on the 1st fire. Since after the first fire I will be using the shoulder, it probably won't be an issue, as AzShooter has said. Probably just load 'em and go.

After the first fire you will have to trim the brass and then neck size it or did you trim it before fire forming??
Posted By: carp Re: 1st FireForm 338 WinMag - 01/31/15
Yes I'll neck size with FL die after 1st fire, and trim after 1st fire also.
© 24hourcampfire